UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

'Moulin Rouge' Ainsdale

Pictured below is the old 'Moulin Rouge' Ainsdale, now the Toby Inn. Any memories?

What year was that picture taken ?

I didn't realise that zig zag lines to street crossings have been around for thirty odd years. I would have said 1985 ish was when zig zag lines were added to zebra crossings.

Moulin Rouge

We used to go in the Sweet Shop next door to the Moulin Rouge (Still in the main building) to buy one Woodbine, but if I was rich I would buy one cadet (Cadets cost a halfpenny more than a Woody !) After one of our gigs at the methodist Hall we earned enough money to buy twenty "Passing Cloud" (No Body EVER bought Passing Cloud) We smoked three each and felt ill all the rest of the day, I think they were very stale !

Oh! The Esso sign means Happy Motoring
    Happy Motoring, Happy Motoring,

Oh! The Esso sign means Happy Motoring
    Call at the Esso sign for Esso EXTRA extra, extra

Didn't Sammy Davies Sing that AD while he was dancing up and down some steps?

T
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Northwich,Cheshire (Formally County Durham
    Chas,
    we used to smoke Domino's 4 for a tanner (6 old pence 21/2 new pence for you younguns!)
    They were in a paper wrapper, about half the size of Woodies and we got them from "Graces Corner" Norwood Road corner of Sussex Road op All Souls Church.
    When there is nothing more to be said....Barrie goes and says it

Originally from Southport in Occupied Lancashire

Sweet Shop

Chas,
    I remember the sweet shop,didnt everyone call it Tinks,
    something to do with the name of the little dog which the
    sweet shop lady had?

Barrie,
    Graces Corner is now a junk shop! it's got lots of wrecked cars outside. I cant remember what its called at the mo' BUT, the locals still call it Graces Corner.

T.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Doesn't it look wonderfully traffic free. I bet it never looks like that now in daylight hours. It probably doesn't look as quiet as that at any hour of the day come to think of it.

Played the Moulin Rouge a good few times in the old days with the Teenbeats. I don't believe I ever went there as a guest, only to play. I know Dave Williams played a season there with one band, but I think it may have been called the Natterjack then.

I'll never forget the place. As mentioned here several times and to bore you all again, played the piano here with the Rebel Rousers 1960 ish. Mullard's Staff Dance. We were supposed to go on at 9 pm. but they changed it to Midnight. To kill time everyone (except Trav) started drinking too much beer. It was a disaster. Pete Rodwell fell asleep on his drums. My hands and fingers became numb. Caz couldn't stop laughing and Trav was furious. Forgot all the chords. Asked to leave the stage after a couple of numbers. Didn't get paid. One of my greatest life's lessons concerning The Demon Drink!

But, but, but Smiffy.....how many years did it actually take for that lesson to sink in?

So Sandy, did you attend the "gay time" evenings back in the good old days?

Cool Sweet Shop

NELL~I can remember the sweet shop well but I do not remember the name they called it. Nice sweets in there !

The photograph was taken in 1973.

Moulin '73

Remember it well, but had left Ainsdale by then.

Custom Search