UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
+ Reply to Thread

Where to get Turkish Lira?

Was rather hoping some well travelled members on SGB would be able to advise on the best place to buy Turkish Lira from and where is the best rates? M&S is 2.07, Post Office is 2.10 online, Tesco and Asda 2.11 online (really want to go somewhere and exchange cash for cash) I was looking at the Post Office but the exchange rate seems to have dropped a bit As we are not very well travelled we don't really know the best places to go for good rate of currency so thought I would ask on here

Thanks in advance for your help

[QUOTE=tillymint4]Was rather hoping some well travelled members on SGB would be able to advise on the best place to buy Turkish Lira from and where is the best rates? M&S is 2.07, Post Office is 2.10 online, Tesco and Asda 2.11 online (really want to go somewhere and exchange cash for cash) I was looking at the Post Office but the exchange rate seems to have dropped a bit As we are not very well travelled we don't really know the best places to go for good rate of currency so thought I would ask on here

WE went to tunisia recently, you cant get lira here you have to get it there, and you cant take it out the country, so yipeeee you HAVE to spend it all ,,, we wishd we had just took english money payd to change travelers cheques then back again you find it hard to spend your money there, even a spender like me had trouble
    cheekymonkey

Quote Originally Posted by tillymint4
    Was rather hoping some well travelled members on SGB would be able to advise on the best place to buy Turkish Lira from and where is the best rates? M&S is 2.07, Post Office is 2.10 online, Tesco and Asda 2.11 online (really want to go somewhere and exchange cash for cash) I was looking at the Post Office but the exchange rate seems to have dropped a bit As we are not very well travelled we don't really know the best places to go for good rate of currency so thought I would ask on here

Thanks in advance for your help
    I think your best bet is M&S for foreign money purchasing....

BTW, whenever you buy anything, bargain with them first, whether it be a little shop or in the market...Take the price down by 75% firstly,reaching in the end, a 50% price reduction agreement.....Don't use your credit card there for purchases.....Where are you going in Turkey? Have a lovely holiday....

My daughter has just returned from Turkey. She had said they like English money. She never takes much lira (her second visit) but I got the Grand daughters some from M&S. No idea what rate the travel agents are giving though.

Daughter also said how hot it was this year - some days up to 50!!!!!! So they all stayed either inside in the air conditioning or under huge umbrella's in the shade
    Maisie BA(Hons)
    credit me with some intelligence

the best place to get turkish lira is M&S but i would just get 50 worth and take the rest in the English as I believe the rate over there is about 2.19 compared to 2.09 here, gone down alot over there, when we were there in may it was 2.40

went to belek last year going again in oct will be using the euro or pounds stirling this time the turks dont like lira

They're not that keen on pounds either. Euro or Dollars is the best bet, shame about the exchange rate at the moment!

Hey Tilly depending on what part of turkey you are going to they prefer the euro an there exchange rate they give into lira is a rip off, when we go to bodrum its a mix of euro an lira and when in dalaman they take sterlin,euro and lira. I get about 100 out from the post office (good rates) then get money from my card over there there rates are much better although it does have to be in lira, I wanted 160 english cash back an i think it converted into 220 lira along those lines enjoy turkey i love it over there, i came back in may an going again in december (for the snow)

We are going to Club Sun City in Olu Deniz

'Sitting in a tranquil and picturesque setting, close to both the beach and the resort centre, Club Sun City enjoys stunning views of the distant mountains and is a great choice for couples and families looking for a complex with a friendly, upbeat atmosphere.'

I rang the travel agent and they said we need to take Lira, different parts of Turkey like different currency, but Olu Deniz is more for the British and they have Lira moreso than Euro, English etc etc, now how much we should take is another question!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flinty

WE went to tunisia recently, you cant get lira here you have to get it there, and you cant take it out the country, so yipeeee you HAVE to spend it all ,,, we wishd we had just took english money payd to change travelers cheques then back again you find it hard to spend your money there, even a spender like me had trouble
    What the hell you on about? Tunisia isnt Turkey? FFS is geography taught in school these days!

Quote Originally Posted by tillymint4
    We are going to Club Sun City in Olu Deniz
    Club sun city is a lovely complex, seperate apartments, nice and clean.
    The food was wonderful, great selection and as much or little as you want.
    Make sure you tell them to turn your egg over when cooking it, I think they must like them raw.
    The pool is lovely too, good size.
    If any of you going are a bit adventureous try the tandem paragliding, 2000m off a mountain, LOOK HERE The pics will give you a good look at the area. I've put one of my pics on, sun city is the complex to the centre right.
    Go to the private beach at the lagoon as well.
    Oh and the entertainment was good too.
    Oh if you haven't been to turkey before, try not to get ripped off as we did , everything is fake.

Have a nice time, Steve.

As Maisie said i have just returned second time to Gumbet, Bodrum and loved it. i have never fouund a problem to use pounds over there more so euros this year never take much lira just for when getting drinks etc from local shop or for the children. Exchange rate when we wer there started at 2.5 and when left was around 2.2 but that was better in Hotel than when we went into Bodrum. Dont think they mind as long as you pay!!! Had fantastic time and was lovely and hot nice breeze too hope you enjoy

I was there 4 weeks ago and I didn't take any lira, the exchange rate for Sterling is far better once you are over there. Ideally, get a Nationwide account before you go, you will then get the Interbank rate and no commission charge.

I was also in Olu Deniz, taking and spending Sterling will not be a problem.

Have a fab time.

Quote Originally Posted by less
    What the hell you on about? Tunisia isnt Turkey? FFS is geography taught in school these days!

I DONT READS MAPS, i just look buk it and go by plane,,and as for school that was a long long time ago, i dont even remember my teachers names never mind wat they were teaching,,so stick that in your pipe and smoke it
    go on tell me where tunisia is from turkey
    cheekymonkey

Custom Search