southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
    Likes / Dislikes

Care Home Lottery

My mum has reached a certain age where she is no longer able to look after herself and the family are looking for a good residential care home, but where do you start ? We can't rely on website testimonials and on scheduled visits you will only be shown the good bits, so how can you tell when you have found a good one?
    We are not too bothered about a long list of features and amenities; we just want somewhere where she will be well looked after and comfortable.
    Any suggestions and/or recommendations ?

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes

Personal preference

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
    My mum has reached a certain age where she is no longer able to look after herself and the family are looking for a good residential care home, but where do you start ? We can't rely on website testimonials and on scheduled visits you will only be shown the good bits, so how can you tell when you have found a good one?
    We are not too bothered about a long list of features and amenities; we just want somewhere where she will be well looked after and comfortable.
    Any suggestions and/or recommendations ?
    Difficult question you ask. After two experiences , one local and one in Accrington, I would say go and visit these establishments. You should with the exception of meal times and unsociable times be able to visit without a prior apartment, most definately without. There will be people visiting their loved ones. Ask them questions. Do not shy away from asking anything at all.
    My personal choice having visited a resident every week over a nine year period would be Tudor Bank on Beach Rd Others will have their own preferences based on their own experiences. Wish you good luck in this difficult task

Likes / Dislikes
    Having worked in a few over the years then the most important factor is your Mum. What are her likes/dislikes? Can you take her with you for a viewing? I once worked in a very plush home where one of the residents always said she felt like a duck out of water as it was too posh for her, she always felt uncomfortable but her relatives insisted on 'only the best'.
    Visit a few and visit often at different times of the day. As said above mealtimes are busy but there should still be someone there to assist you. Visit often because you may love the staff one day but not feel the same with the staff of a different shift.
    Ask questions, this is your Mum they will be looking after.
    Do they have a visiting hairdresser, chiropodist, etc. Which doctors surgery are they affiliated to? Mum may have to change doctors if moving area.
    Is there a communal lounge? Is she allowed visitors in her room? Do they have activities? Can Mum bring pictures to hang on the wall? What is the carer to reside ratio? Can you see the men's for the week? Who deals with the medications?
    All of this is important but I'm sure you will get a feel for a place - good or bad.
    Volunteers needed now

Southport And Formby Special Athletes
    Registered charity no. 1037697

www.southportspecialathletes.org.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    I was a trustee at Parkhaven in Maghull for five years. I've no connection now, but we certainly had the best value elderly services in Sefton. There were one or two high end homes that were superficially nicer, but people were paying some 50% more.

Likes / Dislikes
    What does your mum want? Is she able to decide where she wants to live? Does she think she needs to move into residential care?

How much does the home charge and can the costs be met? Sefton - assuming she is a Sefton resident - will pay a set amount for the level of care your mother requires. Many homes will charge above that amount on the basis that they feel they can only provide the level of care that is required by charging X amount and/or that some rooms with say a sea view or ensuite facilities are worth more.

Make sure you read the CQC report http://www.cqc.org.uk/what-we-do/ser...find-care-home

Likes / Dislikes
    It may be worth your mum trying out a home before the final decision. Some will offer "respite care" for a week or so. It's really difficult to know what any home is actually like until the person is staying there.

My dad was in 2 homes at the end of his life. The first one looked lovely but the care was fitted around what the owner wanted rather than what the resident needed. Nice fittings and fixtures don't matter at all if there is no culture of meeting the resident's particular needs. The second place looked relatively shabby but the care was personal, on a level he appreciated and without PC ********, and he was very happy there.

Likes / Dislikes

Care Home Lottery

Thanks to all that have replied so far. I have a pretty good idea of what sort of questions to ask and what to look for etc, and I will definitely be visiting at least twice before forming an opinion.
    I would be grateful for any further replies / comments, but especially from anyone who has stayed in a particularly good home, or who has had a close relative staying there. You can't beat first-hand experience and recommendations.
    Thanks again.

Likes / Dislikes
    The Hollies Rest Home in Mornington Rd is excellent, highly recommend. A friend of ours was in there for 10 years & loved it. It was a new lease of life for her as she lived alone for years. She had her 100th birthday there, and stayed until she died at 101, they were happy to let her stay even though she was bed-ridden for 12 months.
    My advice is just knock on the door and enquire. Look at the lounge, kitchen & bedrooms. Chat to the staff, see how long they have been working there. See the bathrooms and have a good sniff, there is no excuse for urine smells.
    Good luck with your venture & I hope your Mother will be very happy in residential care.
    It has been said that when helping people change their behaviour – “the spirit in which help is offered” is the most important aspect, more than the degree of skills and knowledge of the helper!

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
    Thanks to all that have replied so far. I have a pretty good idea of what sort of questions to ask and what to look for etc, and I will definitely be visiting at least twice before forming an opinion.
    I would be grateful for any further replies / comments, but especially from anyone who has stayed in a particularly good home, or who has had a close relative staying there. You can't beat first-hand experience and recommendations.
    Thanks again.
    Well a friend swears by Parklands Lodge where her mother lives but make sure you are sat down when you enquire about the fees.

Likes / Dislikes
    I would say for a novice shopper one must be clear on the difference between a 'Rest' 'Care' and Nursing Home.

Questions.
    Will my loved one have to move care provider if her condition deteriorates?

If my loved one needs hospital treatment and care what is your policy
    on keeping her place in your home open during this time?

Likes / Dislikes

Omg no not the hollies. Avoid

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    The Hollies Rest Home in Mornington Rd is excellent, highly recommend. A friend of ours was in there for 10 years & loved it. It was a new lease of life for her as she lived alone for years. She had her 100th birthday there, and stayed until she died at 101, they were happy to let her stay even though she was bed-ridden for 12 months.
    My advice is just knock on the door and enquire. Look at the lounge, kitchen & bedrooms. Chat to the staff, see how long they have been working there. See the bathrooms and have a good sniff, there is no excuse for urine smells.
    Good luck with your venture & I hope your Mother will be very happy in residential care.

Lamparilla Guest
    I would suggest that you start here:

http://www.cqc.org.uk/

You can search by postcode or town for their ratings.

As a matter of interest, at the last inspection last December, Avalon was rated 'Requires Improvement'.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

178 Bispham Road, Southport, PR9 7DF
Although mainly catering for the family cyclist, our business encompasses all aspects of cycling.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 228805
Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Bradshawa Lane, Southport, PR8 3LG
Following a full time career, Jim has now settled in to a challenging and exciting role as club professional at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club.
WEBSITE     TEL: 577316

106 - 114 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AJ
Big brands, big deals, 250 machines displayed, tractors, chainsaws, shredders, cultivators, aerators, vacs, trimmers, robot mowers, authorised warranty, most makes, est. 66 years
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 535369
4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)