southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

Keyless Car Theft.

After watching a programme on thieves using a device to unlock keyless cars without the fob last night we tried out changing the place
    we leave our fobs when home.

There is no room in our house the fob cannot be activated from.

Anyone found another solution?

Do metal box containers work?
    If so what type of insulation?

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    After watching a programme on thieves using a device to unlock keyless cars without the fob last night we tried out changing the place

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Styx View Post

That is one solution I would not have imagined!

Thank you styx.
    Will let you know if it works.

Likes / Dislikes
    I didn't think that car keys gave out a signal when not actually being operated. It must be so if I interpret the article correctly.

There is no electrical field inside a metal box, e.g., you would be protected from a lightning strike if you were inside a car. Presumably the fridge idea is a similar principle.

Likes / Dislikes
    Keep my car in a locked garage overnight so hopefully won't have a problem , and because it's locked away I get a very good discount on my policy from the AA .
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

Likes / Dislikes

That is one solution I would not have imagined!

Thank you styx.
    Will let you know if it works.
    How will you know if it works (or not)? I am interested in your test procedure.

Likes / Dislikes
    I would use an old microwave , they are built to restrict radio waves of a similar frequency from escaping compared to a fridge which is not , and perhaps as an added bonus , put an alarm on it !!

for a test , put your mobile in one and watch the signal drop after the door is closed !
    always reverse to see what you have run over ...

Likes / Dislikes

You speak of activating your fob. I presume you don't mean using it to unlock car as normal. Do you have one of these devices used by those naughty car thieves?

I have heard of said thieves operating at petrol stations, but I think they have to wait until the moment the owner activates the key in the normal manner.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by carliol View Post
    How will you know if it works (or not)? I am interested in your test procedure.
    Allowing for just enough room for one hand in the fridge and the same again in the microwave unfortunately it still activated.

Unusually our kitchen is at the front of the house therefore nearer the car on the drive.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Knot wright View Post
    I would use an old microwave , they are built to restrict radio waves of a similar frequency from escaping compared to a fridge which is not , and perhaps as an added bonus , put an alarm on it !!

for a test , put your mobile in one and watch the signal drop after the door is closed !
    The signal remained full putting my mobile in the microwave.

Likes / Dislikes
    You speak of activating your fob. I presume you don't mean using it to unlock car as normal. Do you have one of these devices used by those naughty car thieves?

I have heard of said thieves operating at petrol stations, but I think they have to wait until the moment the owner activates the key in the normal manner.

I think there is more than one way of defeating the electronic lock in cars.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...reau/95085746/

Likes / Dislikes
    Allowing for just enough room for one hand in the fridge and the same again in the microwave unfortunately it still activated.

Unusually our kitchen is at the front of the house therefore nearer the car on the drive.
    Sorry that I am not making myself clear. It is easy for you to activate your key in the normal way from most positions in the house. But how do you test whether it can be activated illegally by a person outside your house while your key is hanging on a hook or even (completely) inside your fridge? You would have to have the cloning device to do the test.

said Guest
    The signal remained full putting my mobile in the microwave.
    Then try turning the microwave on and see if you still have a signal!

Likes / Dislikes
    Sorry that I am not making myself clear. It is easy for you to activate your key in the normal way from most positions in the house. But how do you test whether it can be activated illegally by a person outside your house while your key is hanging on a hook or even (completely) inside your fridge? You would have to have the cloning device to do the test.
    "Thieves have begun using wireless transmitters held close to a target vehicle to capture its radio transmission. This is relayed to another device held by an accomplice close to the key fob, which might be in the pocket of the owner at a motorway services, or by a window at home. It fools the fob into thinking that it is next to the car, prompting the release of the unlock code. Once the thief is inside the car, the process can be repeated to start the engine."

I am afraid my fob does not need fooling !

Likes / Dislikes
    Hamble, the way I understand it, this type of crime only occurs with keyless ignition and close proximity unlocking, i.e you don't press the button to unlock the car, you just have to have the fob near the car for it to unlock.
    I'm guessing that you are either standing in various parts of your house and pressing the unlock button on a standard keyfob, or as carliol suggests you have the other type of fob and are in possession of the signal amplification device that criminal uses.

This explains it better and also warns again putting the fobs in the freezer or microwave!
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/josephs.../#6196860e2442
    Last edited by BigC; 26/05/2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Link added!

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

15 Hampton Road, Southport, PR8 6SX
Your local hire centre. Extensive range of tools and equipment. Suppliers to the trade and DIY
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 538595
Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Bradshawa Lane, Southport, PR8 3LG
Following a full time career, Jim has now settled in to a challenging and exciting role as club professional at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club.
WEBSITE     TEL: 577316

30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808
Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)