southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

More Average Speed Cameras

Lancs County Council are to spend £1.2m on the A581 Rufford - Croston - Euxton road on new white lines, 4 mini roundabouts and an average speed camera system.

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/transport...ties-1-9298872

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    More money-making endeavours. Kerching!

Likes / Dislikes
    average speed cameras..
    The only camera system that have an effect on drivers speed. Other systems are just a waste of time and cash cows.
    If your stupid enough to get done in and average speed area, you deserve to get fined for your stupidity.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    average speed cameras..
    The only camera system that have an effect on drivers speed. Other systems are just a waste of time and cash cows.
    If your stupid enough to get done in and average speed area, you deserve to get fined for your stupidity.

Only a moron would think that the same speed limit is required on an empty road mid-evening as on a the same stretch during a busy daytime period. But thank goodness for unthinking obedient automata like Ceam. Doffing your cap to authority senselessly lording it over you must be such a buzz.

I bet you also think it's a great idea to reduce the speed limit by 20 mph just as the average cameras come in - which is what they did last time they were thinking of maximising income between Southport and Tarleton lights. Nothing to do with safety; just cash.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by dav View Post
    Only a moron would think that the same speed limit is required on an empty road mid-evening as on a the same stretch during a busy daytime period. But thank goodness for unthinking obedient automata like Ceam. Doffing your cap to authority senselessly lording it over you must be such a buzz.

I bet you also think it's a great idea to reduce the speed limit by 20 mph just as the average cameras come in - which is what they did last time they were thinking of maximising income between Southport and Tarleton lights. Nothing to do with safety; just cash.
    LOL,

Never said I liked them, I said they work. Which is something you clearly don't like. Which I'll be honest makes me like them a little more

Never said I was obedient either. Just not stupid enough to get caught by an average speed camera.

Likes / Dislikes
    Basically, LCC has been given £1.something million to spend on making the roads safer. There are various ways of doing this, they could for instance bring the roads up to a safe standard, repairing pot holes etc. They could spend a bit cutting back hedgerows so that drivers could see the warning signs already out there. Truth is, these measures don’t have a return on expenditure like average speed cameras do. Installing cameras will guarantee a healthy income stream, and I suppose that if the Council slows the traffic down enough, there’s no need to repair the roads at all.

Likes / Dislikes

Stopping Distances

Quote Originally Posted by dav View Post
    Skilled drivers use those skills to navigate the road in the appropriate way for the conditions pertaining at the time. Sounds like common sense to me.
    Yes, you might drive at high speed (e.g. 70mph) on an empty A-road cross-country in perfect conditions - however your total stopping distance will be almost 100m.

Whereas at 50mph your total stopping distance will be almost halved i.e. approx 50m.......Which could make all the difference when something unexpected happens. E.g. a tractor pulls out of an obscured field exit directly ahead.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    Yes, you might drive at high speed (e.g. 70mph) on an empty A-road cross-country in perfect conditions - however your total stopping distance will be almost 100m.

Whereas at 50mph your total stopping distance will be almost halved i.e. approx 50m.......Which could make all the difference when something unexpected happens. E.g. a tractor pulls out of an obscured field exit directly ahead.
    It would be both ironic and tragic however if the driver of this imaginary tractor, emerging from an imaginary obscured field, was delayed slightly, having to pick up his sandwiches for instance, which meant that the guy doing 70mph would have passed the danger point, whereas the driver doing 50mph could be right on the spot and even with a 50 M stopping distance couldn't stop in time. [I wish I could post an angel wing emoticon here]

Likes / Dislikes

Following that logic, let’s go back to having a man with a flag in front of all vehicles.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by justbecause View Post
    Following that logic, let’s go back to having a man with a flag in front of all vehicles.
    That would be acceptable, though unnecessary thanks to modern technology....Simply install 3mph limiters in all vehicles, thus removing need for man and flag.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    I wonder if this would have happened if there was an average speed camera on preston new road?

https://www.qlocal.co.uk/southport/ne...d-55032687.htm

Likes / Dislikes

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fo...specifications

I'm fine then..

Braking 70-0/ 44.6m
    60-0/ 32.6m
    30-0mph/ 8.5m

Solution, buy a faster car

Likes / Dislikes
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fo...specifications

I'm fine then..

Braking 70-0/ 44.6m
    60-0/ 32.6m
    30-0mph/ 8.5m

Solution, buy a faster car
    Sounds ok - but wait, you forgot to add in thinking distances.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    I wonder if this would have happened if there was an average speed camera on preston new road?

https://www.qlocal.co.uk/southport/ne...d-55032687.htm
    Have you got any evidence whatsoever that this incident was caused by inappropriate speed? If not, it’s yet another stupid ridiculous rant from you.

Likes / Dislikes
    Sounds ok - but wait, you forgot to add in thinking distances.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/l...ing-distances/

21m at 70mph. Only 6m more than at 50mph.

So around 65m.. I'm good to go....

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

25-27 Forest Road, Southport, PR8 6JD
Come to visit Wallpaper John@ Forest Road Wallcoverings today for Southport's finest range of wallcoverings with over 1000 designs always in store.
WEBSITE
178 Bispham Road, Southport, PR9 7DF
Although mainly catering for the family cyclist, our business encompasses all aspects of cycling.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 228805

30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808
4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)