southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast

Thread: New Kids Home

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    this is now the in scheme where expensive large houses can be purchased for a very low cost.
    So how many of these houses have been bought for very low cost?
    What were those costs?
    Why did the owners of those houses sell for very low cost?

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    What were those costs?
    OK - ye of little faith. Central Government is granting £4 billion to children's homes across the UK. The average amount paid per child is £730 per head, per week. Some children are granted £350 per week while others can be granted £6000 per week, depending on how much attention each child needs. The way that the funding is managed means that an 18% return on the property investment is guaranteed PER CHILD annually. Even more attractive is the fact that managers of these homes need no prior experience nor knowledge - they merely have to provide food and a suitable home and register with Ofsted.

A four bedroomed house at 75% occupancy will realise £214,000 per year. At full occupancy it will make £624,000 profit. You will find these details on the Gravity International Brochure that investors apply for. There is also a breakdown of the costs of staff, food, etc., with staff for full occupancy costing £232,000 - food, £12,600 etc., The cost of one naughty child in a home is the same as for nine children attending Eton!

The Government has restrictions on public spending - but they have statutory obligations towards children. In which case one would have thought that such homes would have far stricter legislation than they have now.

Local Councils cannot borrow to invest - so they outsource at far greater expense. Much the same as the council housing sold off - the State now rents off what is and what would be council houses from buy - to - let landlords at three times the cost of the old council houses.

No wonder massive conglomerates such as Serco and G4S have now become involved in this business. The affected children? Only one third of all such homes are rated as high as 'adequate'

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    So is there some reason you believe Church Gate should get some magic treatment. Because I'm struggling to understand the issue here.
    Surely they'd be better off living in a road where there are other kids?

Are there any houses that could accommodate these kids down your road?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    These are children that haven't had the best start in life for whatever reason and need help, not prejudice, to call them "problem kids" is an appalling reference.

I think this is a great idea and there should be more and yes, I would be happy to have one in my road.
    Oh, there will be a lot more of these homes, take my word for it! There is more profit to be made on the more difficult children. These children will not benefit from such homes - only one third of the children's homes have been classed as 'adequate' by Ofsted.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Driver View Post
    Surely they'd be better off living in a road where there are other kids?

Are there any houses that could accommodate these kids down your road?
    Possible, wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Do no children live down Church gate? Do the elderly get moved there before they reach the grave yard or something?

There are already a couple fairly close I'm sure you would get your knickers in a twist over.

Likes / Dislikes
    Oh, there will be a lot more of these homes, take my word for it! There is more profit to be made on the more difficult children. These children will not benefit from such homes - only one third of the children's homes have been classed as 'adequate' by Ofsted.
    Can you suggest where these children should go if not into a home? Many have come from shocking backgrounds, A victim of circumstance. Are they condemned for life because of a bad start in life?

Likes / Dislikes
    OK - ye of little faith. Central Government is granting £4 billion to children's homes across the UK. The average amount paid per child is £730 per head, per week. Some children are granted £350 per week while others can be granted £6000 per week, depending on how much attention each child needs. The way that the funding is managed means that an 18% return on the property investment is guaranteed PER CHILD annually. Even more attractive is the fact that managers of these homes need no prior experience nor knowledge - they merely have to provide food and a suitable home and register with Ofsted.
    I read the article you got your information from: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tsourcing-care

How sad to think that an investment portfolio manager is rubbing his hands with glee that the "naughtier" children pay more, meaning more profit. Even more sad to think that the word "naughty" is being used to describe children, who, through no fault of their own, have been damaged. It makes me sick to my stomach.

The article is from 2014. When I clicked on the link for Gravity International's "eye-catching" brochure, the site no longer exists. Searching for Gravity International doesn't get any results either. It looks like their golden investment opportunities may not have come to fruition.

We have a duty to look after troubled children, but outsourcing them to private companies who regard them as nothing more than a commodity, is not the answer.

Likes / Dislikes
    OK - ye of little faith.
    Long answer, without actually answering the question below.

Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi
    What were those costs?
    I too am interested in why the house owners would sell for a very low price.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    Long answer, without actually answering the question below.

I too am interested in why the house owners would sell for a very low price.
    Because they hate the neighbours?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    Because they hate the neighbours?
    So it's the children's homes that have terrible neighbours rather than the children's homes being terrible neighbours?

Likes / Dislikes
    OK - ye of little faith.
    I don't doubt there are profits to be made from privatised care, if there weren't then there wouldn't be private companies providing the service but, I have no faith in your copied and pasted answer that doesn't substantiate your earlier statement that these homes are bought for very low cost.

Likes / Dislikes
    These are children that haven't had the best start in life for whatever reason and need help, not prejudice, to call them "problem kids" is an appalling reference.

I think this is a great idea and there should be more and yes, I would be happy to have one in my road.

Posted in response to The Edge by Ceam -

Well said.

Far too simplistic a view in my opinion.
    Let's face it people's opinions are generallly formed through either perception or experience.
    Ceam - you probably need your vehicle more than others but, imagine for a moment you come out one morning to find it either not there or - damaged so as to render it un-usable.
    Then imagine your feelings towards the residents of the next door children's home when - it transpired one of them had decided to demonstrate how much their poor start in life 'ishoos' affected them, through the medium of your tyres.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gazaprop View Post

Posted in response to The Edge by Ceam -

Well said.

Far too simplistic a view in my opinion.
    Let's face it people's opinions are generallly formed through either perception or experience.
    Ceam - you probably need your vehicle more than others but, imagine for a moment you come out one morning to find it either not there or - damaged so as to render it un-usable.
    Then imagine your feelings towards the residents of the next door children's home when - it transpired one of them had decided to demonstrate how much their poor start in life 'ishoos' affected them, through the medium of your tyres.
    So a simplistic view countered with an extreme hypothetical scenario.

Likes / Dislikes
    Local Councils cannot borrow to invest - so they outsource at far greater expense.
    Oh yes they can!. And they are.

Councils are taking advantage of state loans from the Public Works Loan Board, whose function is to lend to local authorities at extremely low interest rates. To help plug the shortfall in central government funding, councils have become property speculators and landlords. They're buying commercial and residential property like crazy, as crazy as the risk they're taking. Investment is not their field of expertise. It's a potential disaster.

https://www.economist.com/britain/20...-plug-the-gaps

https://www.ft.com/content/57ba0f2a-...9-9445cac8966f

https://www.ft.com/content/84892c56-...c-6d03d067f81f

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    So a simplistic view countered with an extreme hypothetical scenario.
    Not much gets past you - and your point is?

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Bradshawa Lane, Southport, PR8 3LG
Following a full time career, Jim has now settled in to a challenging and exciting role as club professional at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club.
WEBSITE     TEL: 577316
127 Wennington Road, SOUTHPORT, PR9 7AH
Our team of Veterinary Surgeons, trainee and qualified Veterinary Nurses and Receptionists aim to provide the highest possible standard of a personal, caring and friendly service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 214460

33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333
Unit 24 AK Business Park, Russell Road, Southport, PR9 7SA
Rimmers Windows, a family run business, has gone from strength to strength since opening in 1991 and has developed a reputation second to none for top quality windows and doors, available at very competitive rates.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 505511

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)