southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 ... LastLast
    said Guest

Political Correctness

Political Correctness - meaning Complete Stupidity!

is said to have begun after a group of College kids in the States (where else?) were messing about using black humour to re-enacting the past's 'perfect' era. This was picked up by the press, and several books were then written on the topic. This expanded to televised discussions, picked up by city councillors then spread worldwide.

The use of this activity is to prevent minority groups from becoming marginalised - supposedly!

Then why is it stupid? Because it undermines that which it seeks out to do - and those who practice it, really cannot see it!

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Whilst some of the PC stuff is indeed complete madness, could I ask what harm it does to you personally ?

What do you mean by PC ?

I see it as positively a good thing if it means that we have to stop using offensive language, positively a bad thing if it prevents us challenging and investigating behaviour by certain groups - child grooming by (mostly) Pakistani men in some northern towns is a good example.

Likes / Dislikes
    There is one at the moment going on about a HM advert showing a young black boy in a hoody, a slogan on it saying cheekiest monkey in the jungle.
    The p.c. brigade have come out saying it's racist. My question is who is the racist one? I saw a cute kid in a cheeky hoody. Someone else saw a black kid and linked them to a monkey! So who's the racist? Even His mother has spoken out and told them to get over it.
    Who has put that poor kid through all this press and stress, making him look at him self as a colour rather than a cheeky little boy?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    There is one at the moment going on about a HM advert showing a young black boy in a hoody, a slogan on it saying cheekiest monkey in the jungle.
    The p.c. brigade have come out saying it's racist. My question is who is the racist one? I saw a cute kid in a cheeky hoody. Someone else saw a black kid and linked them to a monkey! So who's the racist? Even His mother has spoken out and told them to get over it.
    Who has put that poor kid through all this press and stress, making him look at him self as a colour rather than a cheeky little boy?
    I agree with you on that Ceam.

The phrase 'cheeky little monkey' is part of English culture used on all children irrespective of colour.

Likes / Dislikes
    It's not a case of seeing a black kid and linking them to a monkey. There has to be millions of people, like me, who can recall the times black people had to endure monkey grunts and being told "get back to the jungle" Football players having bananas thrown at them... etc. etc.

I'm sure the person(s) designing the hoody didn't intend to make this analogy. However I fail to see why it's considered "politically correct" to point out to the manufacturer that it will be very upsetting to those who've had to endure comparison to a monkey.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    I agree with you on that Ceam.

The phrase 'cheeky little monkey' is part of English culture used on all children irrespective of colour.
    Yes, it is. I use it myself, but have you ever said it to a black child? I have, once, and never again. We had black neighbours, originally from Bristol. Their little boys were playing in the garden while I was talking to their dad. They were getting up to all sorts, as kids do, and I said "little monkeys" I was quickly, but politely, reminded that I should know better!

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    Yes, it is. I use it myself, but have you ever said it to a black child? I have, once, and never again. We had black neighbours, originally from Bristol. Their little boys were playing in the garden while I was talking to their dad. They were getting up to all sorts, as kids do, and I said "little monkeys" I was quickly, but politely, reminded that I should know better!
    Well his black mother wasn't bothered.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    Oh gosh how upsetting.
    I might have said it just like you-quite naturally.
    I would have been devastated to be thought insensitive on the subject.

Likes / Dislikes
    Well his black mother wasn't bothered.
    Then again she has lost the income from her model son.

said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion102 View Post
    Whilst some of the PC stuff is indeed complete madness, could I ask what harm it does to you personally ?

What do you mean by PC ?

I see it as positively a good thing if it means that we have to stop using offensive language, positively a bad thing if it prevents us challenging and investigating behaviour by certain groups - child grooming by (mostly) Pakistani men in some northern towns is a good example.
    Language is only offensive if used offensively or if a person is so sensitive that they accept it as offensive. It is not for the general public, nor the state to act to a measure of an individuals sensitivity - by doing so we create a nation of overly sensitive people who would be completely useless when they do have to take a stand. The PC people are not doing them any favours. A point that the PC group have missed completely.

Likes / Dislikes
    When I was at school calling someone a Nig-Nog was nothing to do with race or colour but their lack of common sense.
    Jim Bowen used it on radio in a quiz when someone gave a stupid answer to a fairly simple question and he was publicly vilified and hounded out of his job.
    If I said someone had the brains of a woodlouse someone from the Royal Society of Woodlice breeders would take immediate offence and letters to the Times would follow.
    Best to say NOWT these days for fear of upsetting some nig-nog.

Apparently it is ok for foreigners to preach hate and derision at white Christians but it is offensive done the other way round. Us white Christians must be too easy going and should be offended shouldn't we? or like me do you not give a toss what some meaningless no mark says.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    When I was at school calling someone a Nig-Nog was nothing to do with race or colour but their lack of common sense.
    Jim Bowen used it on radio in a quiz when someone gave a stupid answer to a fairly simple question and he was publicly vilified and hounded out of his job.
    If I said someone had the brains of a woodlouse someone from the Royal Society of Woodlice breeders would take immediate offence and letters to the Times would follow.

Apparently it is ok for foreigners to preach hate and derision at white Christians but it is offensive done the other way round. Us white Christians must be too easy going and should be offended shouldn't we? or like me do you not give a toss what some meaningless no mark says.
    Was that expression from a 1970's sit com 'Love Thy Neighbour'?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post

As a Christian you should be living according to this:
    "But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either"

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Then again she has lost the income from her model son.
    Actually no, He's got a deal with some American singer I believe.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion102 View Post

What do you mean by PC ?

As I recall child grooming crimes in certain Northern towns were investigated and the perpetrators successfully prosecuted. How is this a bad thing?

1 ... LastLast
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

165 Lord Street, Opposite the Prince of Wales, Southport, PR8 1PF
In superlative classic surroundings, enjoy your tea and food in a building which you would be forgiven to think was in the heart of London! Actually we are opposite the Prince of Wales in Southport
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 540066
15 Hampton Road, Southport, PR8 6SX
Your local hire centre. Extensive range of tools and equipment. Suppliers to the trade and DIY
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 538595

Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club, Bradshawa Lane, Southport, PR8 3LG
Following a full time career, Jim has now settled in to a challenging and exciting role as club professional at Southport and Ainsdale Golf Club.
WEBSITE     TEL: 577316
33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)