southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

Thread: Social care

Likes / Dislikes

Social care

I'm enjoying "strong and stable" May being anything but as much as the next man, but what actually is wrong with the social care proposals ?

Should young people, struggling to get on the housing ladder, pay for care through their tax for somebody with a £1m house purely so that person's children can have a decent inheritance ?

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Well my view of it is this, after watching Damien Green pontificating on the Andrew Marr show that £100,000 is enough to leave your family (From a Party that has raised the inheritance tax threshold for the Rich), why don't the Conservatives start a Bank for all that have assets worth less than say £300,000 they could call it the Plebian Bank and all it's customers will have a P tattooed on their forehead, it could be run by the Minister of Financial Cripples that bloke who ran Wonga would be ideal.

It's like that Tory MP from Blackpool who is disabled and Religious who voted for the cuts in Disability Benefits and for the bedroom tax. Funny how Religious people like him and May the daughter of a vicar can be so vindictive and callous.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion102 View Post
    I'm enjoying "strong and stable" May being anything but as much as the next man, but what actually is wrong with the social care proposals ?

Should young people, struggling to get on the housing ladder, pay for care through their tax for somebody with a £1m house purely so that person's children can have a decent inheritance ?
    This again is a change in the way we look after our elderly/disabled. Years ago they would have been looked after by their family. Now they are sent to care homes or nursing homes. This is another massive drain on limited resources, One I'd imagine is gradually getting worse as the population ages. I guess we are approaching breaking point. The cost has to be met somehow. The persons assets is one solution I guess. If you can afford it you pay, If not the government covers the cost. Doesn't sound a completely crazy solution TBH. One could argue a very fair solution. Those that need get, Those that don't, do not.

Little Londoner, I don't really see what religion has to do with it?

Likes / Dislikes
    I too can't see anything wrong with Mother Theresa's original proposal. Her mistake was to think that suckers wouldn't be taken in by Comrade Corbyn's sweety shop full of free goodies paid for by the magic money tree.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post

Little Londoner, I don't really see what religion has to do with it?
    Merely pointing out that the so called compassionate religious community are not so compassionate after all. Also pointing out how the Rich are allowed to keep more of their money whilst putting a cap on what the hardworking hoi polloi can leave their family if they need care. Funnily enough ALL my 52 years of working I have paid tax (PAYE) and National Insurance I must be old fashioned and naïve thinking this was to cover things like health care I mean someone who has never done a days work are laughing all the way to the crem.

The Atrocities of The MEN arena seem to have come at the right time for May it almost Mirrors Thatchers saving grace in the Falklands. I'm not a conspiracy theorist or I might be claiming that knowing his history and that of his family the Bomber was ignored in order to make the people think what a wonderful job the Tories are doing. What next an announcement that the Police Budgets are going to be considerably raised, I mean Thatcher got them on side before going for the Miners. Politics is a Dirty Business and the Tories only way of getting their hands dirty is in Politics.

Now back to Social Care my Father died 4 weeks after his 65th birthday so he hardly cost the country after working all his life he died after 2 days in Hospital my Mother and I looked after him at home prior to his 2 days at the Promenade Hospital. My Mother lived with my wife and I up to her passing and she never went into Hospital in her life except Maternity Confinements and the final 4 hours of her life. She also worked during school hours when my brothers and I were of school age so she paid her dues too. But how can I imagine what the new Duke of Westminster feels now his father has passed away and he has inherited a vast fortune and some of the most valuable Real Estate in the Country and probably paid less tax than I have during my working life on his fortune of birth.

Likes / Dislikes
    It could have the side effect of reducing house prices though and help those who currently struggle to get on the housing ladder. I mean you'd be mad to pay more than £100k for a property if you were just going to have to foefeit any value above £100k.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    Merely pointing out that the so called compassionate religious community are not so compassionate after all. Also pointing out how the Rich are allowed to keep more of their money whilst putting a cap on what the hardworking hoi polloi can leave their family if they need care. Funnily enough ALL my 52 years of working I have paid tax (PAYE) and National Insurance I must be old fashioned and naïve thinking this was to cover things like health care I mean someone who has never done a days work are laughing all the way to the crem.
    No that was covering your parents care, I'm paying for yours, and I already know there will be nothing left by the time I come to retire.

But in addition to that that tax and national insurance is paying for the care of the likes of my Son. Who has had out of the system more than I'll ever put in. I feel blessed by the fact we have a system that can do that. He's now 15 year old. Nearly didn't make 15 days, or 15 weeks. Spent 16 weeks in hospital, at a cost of more than I'll ever pay into the system. THAT is what the system is for. Not looking after you when you get old because your kids can't be arsed to.

As for the MEN statement. I'll leave you to look at yourself and think about what you have posted. Shame on you.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    It could have the side effect of reducing house prices though and help those who currently struggle to get on the housing ladder. I mean you'd be mad to pay more than £100k for a property if you were just going to have to foefeit any value above £100k.
    What you have to do is like the poor old Duke is get it all tied up in onshore & offshore trusts whereby you only have a lifetime interest in it, that way you & your descendants keep hold of the loot.

Likes / Dislikes
    No that was covering your parents care, I'm paying for yours, and I already know there will be nothing left by the time I come to retire.

My parents care? If you read my post they didn't have any

THAT is what the system is for. Not looking after you when you get old because your kids can't be arsed to.

Well my KID has his own family to look after as well as working so I don't expect him to have to Look after us.

As for the MEN statement. I'll leave you to look at yourself and think about what you have posted. Shame on you.
    Shame, was it a bit near the nerve ? It was a terrible atrocity but the facts are that the Security Services knew about him and his family, and as I pointed out the only people who have gained from the terrible number of Fatal and Critical Injuries are the Tory Party they have never been off the News since it happened whilst other Parties have not had any coverage in respect to the victims. If you are naïve enough to think ALL is Pure and White in Westminster you are sadly out of touch. The Tory press are full of crap about Corbyn (who by the way I don't like as a Politician) meeting the IRA years ago do they not have any photo's of Tories meeting IRA leaders as I'm sure they have even the Queen shook hands with the leaders of Sinn Fein former IRA activists and members. Only recently May met with the Saudi leaders we sell them Weapons they provide weapons to ISIS but that's fine I suppose??

The shameful thing is HOW did this cowardly scum bag get back into this Country on his return via a roundabout route from Libya they knew his movements but still he got in is that not SHAMEFUL too??

Oh by the way you never replied to my comment about the Professional Unemployed who get houses breed like rabbits and expect everyone else to contribute to their lifestyle. Like I said they are laughing all the way to their free funeral at the crem (not free but paid by tax payers free to them). I would have thought, you working hard and paying your way like I have despite all the problems you have had, this would annoy you but obviously not.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    Shame, was it a bit near the nerve ? It was a terrible atrocity but the facts are that the Security Services knew about him and his family, and as I pointed out the only people who have gained from the terrible number of Fatal and Critical Injuries are the Tory Party they have never been off the News since it happened whilst other Parties have not had any coverage in respect to the victims. If you are naïve enough to think ALL is Pure and White in Westminster you are sadly out of touch. The Tory press are full of crap about Corbyn (who by the way I don't like as a Politician) meeting the IRA years ago do they not have any photo's of Tories meeting IRA leaders as I'm sure they have even the Queen shook hands with the leaders of Sinn Fein former IRA activists and members. Only recently May met with the Saudi leaders we sell them Weapons they provide weapons to ISIS but that's fine I suppose??

The shameful thing is HOW did this cowardly scum bag get back into this Country on his return via a roundabout route from Libya they knew his movements but still he got in is that not SHAMEFUL too??

Oh by the way you never replied to my comment about the Professional Unemployed who get houses breed like rabbits and expect everyone else to contribute to their lifestyle. Like I said they are laughing all the way to their free funeral at the crem (not free but paid by tax payers free to them). I would have thought, you working hard and paying your way like I have despite all the problems you have had, this would annoy you but obviously not.
    No not one bit. I very much doubt they are pulling money out the system, but are in fact paying for private care.

'Your parents care' was a general statement, meaning the money your generation paid in, Paid for the generation before it, and so it goes on. Only problem is you old gits won't die :-p

As for the ' Professional Unemployed ' hard to comment on something I have no knowledge of. I don't assume that these 'Professional Unemployed' are doing it because they want to, As there may be underlying issue I don't know about.
    A little like people looking down their noses at friends of mine who posses a blue badge. People assume if you have two legs you have nothing wrong with you. Perhaps being in that circle I get to actually know their situation. Unlike you who appear to just like to stick every one in a little box.

An interesting question, given the information we have been given. But again as we don't know the full story I would not point the finger. Certainly not pointing the finger at the government. BTW I don't vote Tory, I'm a floating voter that used to vote either lib-dem or Labour. But they are all a shower of arseholes at the moment.

If paying for your care bothers you that much, Why not get an equity release and give the money to your kids. Then when the house is sold there isn't enough money left to have it taken off you. As that's who the money will be going to anyway, as you will be long gone when they government want your money.

Likes / Dislikes
    No not one bit. I very much doubt they are pulling money out the system, but are in fact paying for private care.

'Your parents care' was a general statement, meaning the money your generation paid in, Paid for the generation before it, and so it goes on. Only problem is you old gits won't die :-p

As for the ' Professional Unemployed ' hard to comment on something I have no knowledge of. I don't assume that these 'Professional Unemployed' are doing it because they want to, As there may be underlying issue I don't know about.
    A little like people looking down their noses at friends of mine who posses a blue badge. People assume if you have two legs you have nothing wrong with you. Perhaps being in that circle I get to actually know their situation. Unlike you who appear to just like to stick every one in a little box.

An interesting question, given the information we have been given. But again as we don't know the full story I would not point the finger. Certainly not pointing the finger at the government. BTW I don't vote Tory, I'm a floating voter that used to vote either lib-dem or Labour. But they are all a shower of arseholes at the moment.

If paying for your care bothers you that much, Why not get an equity release and give the money to your kids. Then when the house is sold there isn't enough money left to have it taken off you. As that's who the money will be going to anyway, as you will be long gone when they government want your money.

As for the "professional" unemployed there are many families of renown in Southport who pass from generation to generation the ability to get through life without doing a days work or should I say A LEGAL days work. Council Housing or Housing Association properties seem available to them at the Tax Payers expense.

You must not have read my initial post properly as I was pointing out the fact that the "Rich" have the threshold for inheritance tax raised so that their heirs benefit by getting MORE of their fortune whilst a Tory Cabinet member is saying £100,000 is more than enough for the plebs to inherit after their parents care has been debited from their assets.

I have had to finish work @67 to look after my wife who is suffering from a degenerative neurological illness that eventually will take away the ability to control bodily functions. She too has a Blue Badge via the PIP scheme.

I am looking at Equity release but they have closed the doors to being able to give your money to your kids they want their pound of flesh. Up until last December I was paying over £1000 a month in PAYE so to me seeing the "Claimants in Residence" at the job centre makes my urine boil. As I previously said there are plenty of Professional Benefit claimants. I'm just surprised you don't know any.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

33 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AB
Awnings, canopies and continental security shutters with manual or electric operation, complete our exterior range.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 514333
106 - 114 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AJ
Big brands, big deals, 250 machines displayed, tractors, chainsaws, shredders, cultivators, aerators, vacs, trimmers, robot mowers, authorised warranty, most makes, est. 66 years
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 535369

127 Wennington Road, SOUTHPORT, PR9 7AH
Our team of Veterinary Surgeons, trainee and qualified Veterinary Nurses and Receptionists aim to provide the highest possible standard of a personal, caring and friendly service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 214460
178 Bispham Road, Southport, PR9 7DF
Although mainly catering for the family cyclist, our business encompasses all aspects of cycling.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 228805

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)