southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk
Please also follow us on our live Twitter Feed
  1. Published on: 17/10/2017 12:17 PMReported by: roving-eye
    A freedom of information request submitted to the website "What Do They Know" regarding the Average Speed Cameras on the Tarleton Bypass has revealed some astonishing figures.

    In seven weeks 1,691 notices of prosecution have been issued to speeding drivers.




    Dear Lancashire Constabulary, since the introduction of average speed cameras on main road from Banks near Southport to Tarleton traffic lights how many vehicles have been reported for speeding and what was the average speed between the cameras for vehicles that have been reported.

    Also has there been a reduction in the number of crashes since the introduction of
    average speed cameras

    Your request has now been considered and some of the information you are seeking can be found
    below:


    The number of Notice of Intended Prosecution’s issued as a result of the alleged offence of excess speed on the A565 Southport New Road has been 1,691 since its introduction on the 10/08/2017 – 28/09/2017 (Inclusive).


    The speeds during this time have ranged from 58mph – 101mph with the average speed resulting at 62mph.


    In respect of casualty and collision evaluation it is thus far not possible to study the effects of the average speed cameras (ASCs) due to the very short time the system has been live (only seven weeks to date). In depth analysis and evaluation of all ASC routes in Lancashire will be carried out in due course and the results of which made public once this process has been completed

    Submit News to Us

    Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk




  2. Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk



    Your Comments:


  3. Ceam says:17/10/2017 01:57 PM
    1,691 stupid people.

    Natural selection at it's best.

  4. local says:17/10/2017 07:27 PM
    One wonders what people think those big yellow poles with cameras on are for.
    Never mind the signs, why give money away ?

  5. dav says:17/10/2017 08:19 PM
    Just a money-making scheme. Surprise, surprise: you reduce the speed limit unnecessarily from National Speed Limit Applies (70) to 50 and drivers get prosecuted for driving at the former sensible speed (but not the one that the latest nannies have approved). The place is going to the dogs.

  6. silver fox says:17/10/2017 09:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dav View Post
    Just a money-making scheme. Surprise, surprise: you reduce the speed limit unnecessarily from National Speed Limit Applies (70) to 50 and drivers get prosecuted for driving at the former sensible speed (but not the one that the latest nannies have approved). The place is going to the dogs.
    Sadly it appears to be achieving it's money raising object, yes I do agree that the 50mph limit is not needed on most of that road.

    Particularly when most of all accidents have occurred where there was already a 50mph limit and certainly mainly caused by drivers entering the road from side roads, I think the road was safer when it was two lanes along it's length.

  7. sea-salted says:17/10/2017 09:38 PM
    at the end of the day there are big signs informing drivers of the speed limit if you cant abide by this then tough pay the fine

  8. Ceam says:17/10/2017 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dav View Post
    Just a money-making scheme. Surprise, surprise: you reduce the speed limit unnecessarily from National Speed Limit Applies (70) to 50 and drivers get prosecuted for driving at the former sensible speed (but not the one that the latest nannies have approved). The place is going to the dogs.
    The speeds during this time have ranged from 58mph – 101mph


    Hopefully a nice long ban for that idiot.

  9. Golden Goal says:18/10/2017 08:08 AM
    Almost £170k clearly isn’t enough, they’ve also been out in the yellow van on Southport New Road close to the junction with Gravel Lane. The mobile cash machine was there to catch commuters returning on Tuesday evening and churchgoers or Sunday footballers leaving Southport at 9am on Sunday. I really don’t recall that being a significant accident black spot.
    And can we discern from the FOI response that drivers can proceed through the average speed zone at up to 57mph, which would correspond with the perceived tolerance of speed limit x 10% + 2mph?

  10. Coastal99 says:18/10/2017 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Goal View Post
    Almost £170k clearly isn’t enough, they’ve also been out in the yellow van on Southport New Road close to the junction with Gravel Lane. The mobile cash machine was there to catch commuters returning on Tuesday evening and churchgoers or Sunday footballers leaving Southport at 9am on Sunday. I really don’t recall that being a significant accident black spot.
    And can we discern from the FOI response that drivers can proceed through the average speed zone at up to 57mph, which would correspond with the perceived tolerance of speed limit x 10% + 2mph?
    So don't speed and you won't have to pay anything

    As for the "perceived tolerance" if the extra 7mph means that much to you try it and find out

  11. Toodles McGinty says:18/10/2017 10:09 AM
    What is the complaint? The signs are obvious. The cameras are obvious. If you don't lift your foot and slow down, you're a ******* idiot.

  12. Ceam says:18/10/2017 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal99 View Post
    So don't speed and you won't have to pay anything

    As for the "perceived tolerance" if the extra 7mph means that much to you try it and find out
    Correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    What is the complaint? The signs are obvious. The cameras are obvious. If you don't lift your foot and slow down, you're a ******* idiot.

    and correct.

  13. Ceam says:18/10/2017 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Goal View Post
    Almost £170k clearly isn’t enough, they’ve also been out in the yellow van on Southport New Road close to the junction with Gravel Lane. The mobile cash machine was there to catch commuters returning on Tuesday evening and churchgoers or Sunday footballers leaving Southport at 9am on Sunday. I really don’t recall that being a significant accident black spot.
    And can we discern from the FOI response that drivers can proceed through the average speed zone at up to 57mph, which would correspond with the perceived tolerance of speed limit x 10% + 2mph?


    Which would on average mean their speedos where reading around 60mph, as the tend to read a little high rather than low.

    So people are doing an 'AVERAGE' of over 60mph in a controlled zone, and you have sympathy for their stupidity... Amazing.

  14. Knot wright says:18/10/2017 12:26 PM
    over the 30 plus years I have driven up and down this road , I have never had any issues , unless it was with some one who was not fit to be on the road , never speeding , its now got to the point I no longer consider using this route as all the safety improvements have done nothing to improve the route or its traffic capacity , only to make it more frustrating to use ... access to Southport is being strangled

  15. Ceam says:18/10/2017 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knot wright View Post
    over the 30 plus years I have driven up and down this road , I have never had any issues , unless it was with some one who was not fit to be on the road , never speeding , its now got to the point I no longer consider using this route as all the safety improvements have done nothing to improve the route or its traffic capacity , only to make it more frustrating to use ... access to Southport is being strangled

    Really? The extra few minutes are that important to you?

    So what other route do you use to go North out of Southport? It must be one I don't know, as I'm sure this is still by far the shortest/fastest.

  16. Knot wright says:18/10/2017 02:20 PM
    its also £170 K less for people to spend in the charity shops !!

    foot shoot own


Custom Search
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport


Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register


The Best Of Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal



Jobs from Indeed



UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News


Supporting Local Business
270 Liverpool Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 4PE
Established in 1977. Providing removals and storage services for both domestic household and commercial customers. Specialist piano and antique movers, house clearance services. Local authority contractors. Call for a Free, No Obligation Quotation.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 567020
Supporting Local Business
38 Hoghton Street, Southport, PR9 0PQ
We are committed to Private Client work, and to offering our clients our skills and experience at a specialist level, particularly in the areas of tax and estate planning
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 500024

Supporting Local Business
Unit 24 AK Business Park, Russell Road, Southport, PR9 7SA
Rimmers Windows, a family run business, has gone from strength to strength since opening in 1991 and has developed a reputation second to none for top quality windows and doors, available at very competitive rates.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 505511
Supporting Local Business
Unit 5 Dalweb Industrial Park, Gravel Lane, Near Southport, PR9 8DE
Bespoke Cabinets for Kitchens, Bedrooms, Bathrooms, Home & Offices
WEBSITE     TEL: 231478


Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
How We Use Cookies