southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk
Please also follow us on our live Twitter Feed
  1. Published on: 05/07/2018 02:01 PMReported by: roving-eye
    The closure of the Marine Drive between the Pier and Pleasureland has caused traffic chaos today.

    In sweltering temperatures drivers queued for over 20 minutes to get over the Marine Parade Bridge.

    Many drivers chose to turn round and find a different route.

    The Marine Drive will remain closed until Monday.
       

    Submit News to Us

    Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk




  2. Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk



    Your Comments:


  3. PG Monkey says:05/07/2018 02:14 PM
    How come people don,t read the warning signs, they have been on display long enough, I don,t think they are all out of towners.

  4. MargeSimpson says:05/07/2018 02:21 PM
    I've just had a look at the pricing for this event on visitsouthport.
    The times it is on are stated to be: "Fri, Jul 6 - Sun, Jul 8 at 7:00 PM–5:00 PM", so it seems that time works backwards in Southport!
    And to watch from the pier (Lancaster Lounge) is £75!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. RobinC says:05/07/2018 04:07 PM
    But for £75 you get Viewing from the pier (not open to the public), complimentary programme, picnic lunch, morning & afternoon refreshments, hosted marquee, parking close to the marquee, private toilets.

    These tickets have sold out for Friday night so the price is obviously not putting people off, so why sell cheaper?

  6. said says:05/07/2018 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PG Monkey View Post
    How come people don,t read the warning signs, they have been on display long enough, I don,t think they are all out of towners.
    Yes, but is it closed off already? Surely it does not take long to move barricades across a road? Could this not be done early in the morning of the first day of the Show? By closing roads early must severely affect trading on Ocean Plaza.

  7. Ceam says:05/07/2018 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Yes, but is it closed off already? Surely it does not take long to move barricades across a road? Could this not be done early in the morning of the first day of the Show? By closing roads early must severely affect trading on Ocean Plaza.
    and everything else get done like magic, No setting up required at all.



    I'm sure you guys just argue for the sake of arguing. With zero thought as to the logistics of anything you complain about.


    Either that or your just stupid. I'll let you decide.

  8. *concerned* says:06/07/2018 06:49 AM
    I guess Woodvale isn't a suitable place to hold an Air Show?

  9. gazaprop says:06/07/2018 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    and everything else get done like magic, No setting up required at all.



    I'm sure you guys just argue for the sake of arguing. With zero thought as to the logistics of anything you complain about.


    Either that or your just stupid. I'll let you decide.

    This - I also eagerly await some pillock moaning about not being able to walk along the beach whilst the airshow is on with all it's associated pyrotechnics buried in the sand!

  10. salus.populi says:06/07/2018 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by *concerned* View Post
    I guess Woodvale isn't a suitable place to hold an Air Show?
    They no longer allow public events there which is why Woodvale Rally had to move.
    It's not very accessible other than by car which would mean increased congestion.
    It wouldn't bring many people into the town.
    So, yes, you're correct.

  11. Theatrics says:06/07/2018 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    But for £75 you get Viewing from the pier (not open to the public), complimentary programme, picnic lunch, morning & afternoon refreshments, hosted marquee, parking close to the marquee, private toilets.

    These tickets have sold out for Friday night so the price is obviously not putting people off, so why sell cheaper?
    They must be dead from the neck up!

  12. Alikado says:06/07/2018 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MargeSimpson View Post
    I've just had a look at the pricing for this event on visitsouthport.
    The times it is on are stated to be: "Fri, Jul 6 - Sun, Jul 8 at 7:00 PM–5:00 PM", so it seems that time works backwards in Southport!
    And to watch from the pier (Lancaster Lounge) is £75!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In other words it will be over before you know it.

    Most other Seafront Air Displays are Free, the Councils put them on to attract visitors to the town to spend money in the town.
    Not Sefton, they have to charge so the spend is only with the vendors within the fenced area and the ones outside will see a reduced turnover.

  13. Rhino-Hamster says:06/07/2018 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    But for £75 you get Viewing from the pier (not open to the public), complimentary programme, picnic lunch, morning & afternoon refreshments, hosted marquee, parking close to the marquee, private toilets.

    These tickets have sold out for Friday night so the price is obviously not putting people off, so why sell cheaper?
    As a member of the public, the pier clearly isn't open to me, if I was a member of the magical secret club, it would cost £315 for myself, husband and 3 children. Absolutely ridiculous pricing for a day in a tent on some decking with a few butties and a brew. We just spent a full week in a Themepark, with a zoo, pool and waterslides for the same price!
    I've no idea why it is sold out, the mind literally boggles at the sheer volume of cash some people just simply throw away, with no concept of value for money.
    Personally, I found the £44 a bit steep when you can watch it for free, it's now looking very reasonable in comparison.

  14. salus.populi says:06/07/2018 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino-Hamster View Post
    As a member of the public, the pier clearly isn't open to me, if I was a member of the magical secret club, it would cost £315 for myself, husband and 3 children. Absolutely ridiculous pricing for a day in a tent on some decking with a few butties and a brew. We just spent a full week in a Themepark, with a zoo, pool and waterslides for the same price!
    I've no idea why it is sold out, the mind literally boggles at the sheer volume of cash some people just simply throw away, with no concept of value for money.
    Personally, I found the £44 a bit steep when you can watch it for free, it's now looking very reasonable in comparison.
    There's probably people who would class a week in a theme park as hell on earth.
    People have different tastes. If they want to spend their money at an airshow that's their choice.

  15. nosobored says:06/07/2018 08:26 PM
    For the fist time in history i actually agree with you..Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    There's probably people who would class a week in a theme park as hell on earth.
    People have different tastes. If they want to spend their money at an airshow that's their choice.

  16. nosobored says:06/07/2018 08:30 PM
    Well it looks like the September slot is free,remember when we used to have the sand races in September.
    They were mental and a great weekend and Free ,They brought a lot of people here competitors and spectators,Those people spent plenty of money here too.
    So now that slots free lets have the sand races back..
    Because the Air show is boring with the same old stuff every year and this year twice as boring as the Aircraft on sunday are the same Aircraft as on sat but in a different order,,Yippee


Custom Search
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register



Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

The Best Of Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal



Jobs from Indeed



UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News


Supporting Local Business
147a High Park Road, Southport, PR9 7BY
Car servicing & repairs to all makes & models. Specialists in Mercedes & BMW. Diagnostic engine tuning. MOT testing. Car accident repairs. Mobility vehicle conversions
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 229217
Supporting Local Business
Southport, PR8
Private day nursery offering the very best in childcare for the under 5s. Open 7:30am till 6pm
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 531256

Supporting Local Business
Hesfords DIY & Gardening, Moorgate, Lancashire, L39 4RU
Hesfords has been a family concern since it was founded in 1903 by Charles Martin on Market Row. Originally specialising in engineering the company moved to its current location in 1978.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01695 572727
Supporting Local Business
11 Canning Road, Southport, PR9 7SS
J.Antrobus & Son. Joinery and Building Contractors. Specialists UPVC Windows and Doors, extensions and conservatories.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 233664


Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
How We Use Cookies