southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk
Please also follow us on our live Twitter Feed
  1. Published on: 07/07/2018 08:08 AMReported by: rogerblaxall
    A Southport photographer's ruffled a few feathers to win a national contest.

    Amateur photographer John Fisher won the national retailer Wilko's Wild Bird Calendar photography competition with this eye-catching photograph of a starling.

    He's won a 100 Wilko voucher and his photograph is one of 12 featured in the company's official 2019 calendar.

    He said: I was delighted to discover that I had won and that my photo would be used in the 2019 calendar.

    I took this photo in my back garden last May, when fledgling starlings were begging to be fed. Dried mealworms definitely came up trumps when taking this photo!

    The 2019 calendar will be on sale in store and online at wilko.com from late 2018.
     

    Submit News to Us

    Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk




  2. Contact us with your news. Mob/Txt 07530 315 478 southport@qnews.co.uk



    Your Comments:


  3. toothache says:07/07/2018 11:29 AM
    Thank goodness it wasnt won by that arrogant blogger, poster on the other site. He is unbearable already. Well done to John Fisher - super photo.

  4. clive764 says:07/07/2018 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by toothache View Post
    Thank goodness it wasnt won by that arrogant blogger, poster on the other site. He is unbearable already. Well done to John Fisher - super photo.
    I presume you mean Pat Regan. He doesn't even understand copyright law; that if you post on a public/social media website or blog, copyright is not applicable because it is in the public domain.

    I'm sure I'll get a self righteous response on that as he posts on here under another pseudonym I'm told, but Intellectual Property Rights was one of my responsibilities.

    PS Great picture

  5. Tentill4 says:07/07/2018 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clive764 View Post
    He doesn't even understand copyright law; that if you post on a public/social media website or blog, copyright is not applicable because it is in the public domain.
    Bullsiht - Copyright remains with the photographer who took the photo, even if they post the said photo on a public/social media website or blog.....IT is still their copyright.

  6. clive764 says:08/07/2018 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentill4 View Post
    Bullsiht - Copyright remains with the photographer who took the photo, even if they post the said photo on a public/social media website or blog.....IT is still their copyright.
    May I suggest you read the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1998. Only last week the European Parliament rejected a Bill (Directive) to try and bring restrictions onto material placed on to new technology platforms by first or third parties (Articles 11 and 13 are the most relevant here) but the law, had it been passed, would have affected other widely used images such as memes.
    Intellectual Property (which is different from Copyright) might be more appropriate for Mr Regan, but then again with Intellectual Property restrictions you don't get a pretty little symbol to impress and make yourself look important.

  7. Tentill4 says:08/07/2018 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by clive764 View Post
    May I suggest you read the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1998. Only last week the European Parliament rejected a Bill (Directive) to try and bring restrictions onto material placed on to new technology platforms by first or third parties (Articles 11 and 13 are the most relevant here) but the law, had it been passed, would have affected other widely used images such as memes.
    Intellectual Property (which is different from Copyright) might be more appropriate for Mr Regan, but then again with Intellectual Property restrictions you don't get a pretty little symbol to impress and make yourself look important.
    I do not know Mr Regan, but as a photographer, I have issued a number of Take Down Notices or DMCA to members of the public and companies who think that because I've placed my photo onto a website, it's fair game for them to use. Wrong, my bank balance can testify to that.
    That pretty little symbol isn't meant to impress, it's to show that the images are copyrighted and belong to the person that took it.

  8. Tentill4 says:08/07/2018 10:24 AM
    "Photographs, illustrations and other images will generally be protected by copyright as artistic works. This means that a user will usually need the permission of the copyright owner(s) if they want to perform certain acts, such as copying the image or sharing it on the internet. "

    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-the-internet

  9. toothache says:09/07/2018 11:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clive764 View Post
    I presume you mean Pat Regan.

    I'm sure I'll get a self righteous response on that as he posts on here under another pseudonym I'm told, but Intellectual Property Rights was one of my responsibilities.

    PS Great picture
    I remember him and his wife once bragging, on the other site, that they never ever used any pseudonyms and that everything they posted was under their own names.

    Believe it or not as you wish!


Custom Search
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register



       
Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

The Best Of Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal



Jobs from Indeed



UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News


Supporting Local Business
The Willwriting Guild (UK) Ltd, Eldon Court, 39-41 Hoghton Street, Southport, PR90NS
The WWG is a family run business established in 1991 specialising in Wills. Our services also include Lasting Power of Attorney, Trusts, Probate, Equity Release, Funeral Plans & Document Storage.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 546688
Supporting Local Business
Southport, PR8
Private day nursery offering the very best in childcare for the under 5s. Open 7:30am till 6pm
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 531256

Supporting Local Business
Unit 4, 47/49 Stamford Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 4ET
Factory Fitted Bedrooms and Kitchens North West. No compromise on quality: Carcase, Worktops. Doors and Appliances!
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 564280
Supporting Local Business
The Edge, Houghton Street, Southport, PR9 OTE
Insurance, pensions & investments
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 512810


Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
How We Use Cookies