southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    southport
    Posts
    1,246

    John Riding & The Sea Egg

    I remember seeing John exhibiting his Sea Egg at the Drill Hall sometime around 1970. I think he was from Southport - does anyone have any further information about him? This link gives a few details about his crossings of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and his subsequent disappearance.

    http://bills-log.blogspot.com/2009/11/sea-egg.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Too near Slough!
    Posts
    2,210
    I met John on many occasions; usually where drink was involved! After his first trip he slipped in the shower and broke his leg; a bit ironic really.

    I remember John telling me that his continued sailing in Sea Egg was to get enough funds in order to buy a speed boat that was fast enough to out-run USA Customs vessels. He intended to run cigarettes from Mexico to Florida.

    It was a very sad end to a brave man.
    If life is just a bowl of cherries then why do I always get the pip!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by flyp
    I remember seeing John exhibiting his Sea Egg at the Drill Hall sometime around 1970. I think he was from Southport - does anyone have any further information about him? This link gives a few details about his crossings of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and his subsequent disappearance.

    http://bills-log.blogspot.com/2009/11/sea-egg.html
    John Riding was from Southport and went missing whilst attempting to cross the Tasman Sea to Sydney.He set sail from an Island off Auckland called Kawau which is where the first Governor of New Zealand lived called Sir George Grey. he wrote a couple of books one of which was called the Voyage of the Sea Egg which you can no doubt get from the Southport Library.
    This book was serialised in the NZ National paper many years ago.If you Google John riding Sea Egg you will probably pick up more info

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    About 1600 metres from Southport town centre
    Posts
    21,022
    Quote Originally Posted by syd View Post
    John Riding was from Southport and went missing whilst attempting to cross the Tasman Sea to Sydney.He set sail from an Island off Auckland called Kawau which is where the first Governor of New Zealand lived called Sir George Grey. he wrote a couple of books one of which was called the Voyage of the Sea Egg which you can no doubt get from the Southport Library.
    This book was serialised in the NZ National paper many years ago.If you Google John riding Sea Egg you will probably pick up more info
    John was indeed from Southport and was head boy at his school and my late wife was head girl.

    After his epic voyage in Sea Egg, he came back to Southport and I had an afternoon and evening out with him in order to do a story for the Visiter.

    About 11pm it was decided we should go and see if my wife would like to join us (yes, I know, it should have been a shade quicker) and she was absolutely stunned to come down the stairs to find John in the hallway. She dressed in double quick time too...

    We ended up in the Kingsway until around 5am before I finally finished duties as taxi driver dropping John off and back home (yes, we could get away with it in those days!)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
    John was indeed from Southport and was head boy at his school and my late wife was head girl.

    After his epic voyage in Sea Egg, he came back to Southport and I had an afternoon and evening out with him in order to do a story for the Visiter.

    About 11pm it was decided we should go and see if my wife would like to join us (yes, I know, it should have been a shade quicker) and she was absolutely stunned to come down the stairs to find John in the hallway. She dressed in double quick time too...

    We ended up in the Kingsway until around 5am before I finally finished duties as taxi driver dropping John off and back home (yes, we could get away with it in those days!)
    Why am I surprised a typical don't do as I do Tory.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    About 1600 metres from Southport town centre
    Posts
    21,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Nidle View Post
    Why am I surprised a typical don't do as I do Tory.
    Those were great days...

  7. #7
    Stayed just round the corner from us in Weld Rd

  8. #8

    More about John

    I knew John as a friend of my brother. I think they met at
    Southport Tech. They were both in Sweden in the summer of 58,
    my brother on a student exchange scheme. I was there in 59
    and I think John was there again. I remember him bringing
    some 35mm slides of Sweden round to our house in Beech Grove.
    We followed his adventures through the years in the Southport
    Visiter.
    The following website has a couple of pictures and info about
    his attempt to cross the Tasman Sea: http://www.geocities.com/aerohydro/m...hts/seaegg.htm

Custom Search

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport
Tide Predictions from NTSLF.ORG

Supporting Local Business
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register




The Best Of Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal


Jobs from Indeed


UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southport  southport News  southport Journalist Jobs  southport Reporter Jobs  southport Writing Jobs  southport Freelance Writer  southport Self Employed Jobs  southport Franchise Business  southport Franchise Opportunities  southport handepay  southport Card Payments  southport Merchant Services  southport Credit Card Merchant  southport Card Payment Terminals  southport Credit Card Machine  southport Insolvency  southport Insolvency Service  southport Insolvency Advice  southport Liquidation Service  southport Business Recovery  southport Insolvency Practitioner  southport Bankruptcy Service  southport Winding Up Petition  southport Business Finance  southport Firewood  southport Fire Wood  southport Kiln Dried Hardwood  southport Logs  southport Firewood Logs  southport Seasoned Logs  southport Hardwood Logs  southport Firewood Suppliers  southport Firewood Log Suppliers  southport Firewood Dumpy Bags  southport Firewood Crates  southport Cheap Firewood  southport Cheap Firewood Logs  southport Kindle Cones  southport Rattan Garden Furniture  southport Rattan Sofa  southport Rattan Dining Set  southport Rattan Direct  southport BBQ Huts  southport BBQ Cabins  southport Grill Huts  southport Grill Cabins  southport Garden Cabins  southport Hammocks  southport Garden Hammocks  southport Adult Hammocks  southport Childrens Hammocks  southport Baby Hammocks  southport Accounts Software  southport Sage Software  southport Sage Line 50  southport Sage Line 200  southport Pegasus Accounts  southport Access Accounts  southport Car Servicing  southport MOTg  southport Tyres  southport Car Battery  southport Exhaust 

Supporting Local Business
55a Brighton Road, Southport, PR8 4DD
Car Body Repairs. Established for over 25 years. We have an unrivalled reputation for quality service to the trade and public sector.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 551615
Supporting Local Business
140 Poulton Road, Southport, PR9 7DB
Our craftsman made gates can be supplied by mail order with gate automation for self installation or supplied and fitted by our own engineers.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 224365

Supporting Local Business
Foul Lane, Southport, PR8
We specialise in delivery of Ready Mix Concrete in and around the West Lancashire and Merseyside areas. Concrete ready mix. Only pay for what you use. Free barrowing service
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 50 60 70
Supporting Local Business
6-8 Botanic Road, Churchtown, Southport, PR9 7NG
K.A. Farr & Co. is a family firm of Chartered Accountants, established in 1972. Services include: tax & taxation, business start ups, book keeping, auditing, payroll, VAT, business plans, finance, investments & general advice for any size of business
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 211434


Stats: Qlocal site 1.05 terabyte June 13
How We Use Cookies