buxton, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
-->
  1. The 20 limit

Is there any intention to enforce the 20 limits around Southport?

I live on Talbot Street and observe cars and vans not just chancing it, but totally ignoring it. I would bet that most are doing 40 and occasionally 50.

Last night we were walking up Aughton Road towards Lulworth Road and saw a 7 series BMW overtake someone who I imagine may have been actually trying to stay in the limit. This was in dark and wet conditions.

2. YOUR COMMENTS:

3. Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    Is there any intention to enforce the 20 limits around Southport?

I live on Talbot Street and observe cars and vans not just chancing it, but totally ignoring it. I would bet that most are doing 40 and occasionally 50.

Last night we were walking up Aughton Road towards Lulworth Road and saw a 7 series BMW overtake someone who I imagine may have been actually trying to stay in the limit. This was in dark and wet conditions.

Roads would be safer if they put them back to 30mph. then you wouldn't have those overtaking.

I personally do around 30mph in most 20mph zones unless conditions state otherwise. But I'd not over take someone doing 20mph. Problem is when they start doing 15mph or slower, Which I've seen on many occasion.

4. The 20mph is almost impossible to enforce/ police and IMO should be scrapped. The road I live on is like Branshatch, since it was made 20MPH I've witnessed ONE driver pulled for exceeding it .

5. Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    The 20mph is almost impossible to enforce/ police and IMO should be scrapped. The road I live on is like Branshatch, since it was made 20MPH I've witnessed ONE driver pulled for exceeding it .
    They won't have been prosecuted for exceeding 20mph maybe 30, during the summer there was a FoI survey done by one of the motoring groups and none of the Police Forces surveyed had prosecuted anybody for exceeding 20mph.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    They won't have been prosecuted for exceeding 20mph maybe 30, during the summer there was a FoI survey done by one of the motoring groups and none of the Police Forces surveyed had prosecuted anybody for exceeding 20mph.
    Interesting Alikado , so why have it ? When it was first introduced I thought it was a great idea . But soon realised it was not enforceable.

7. In a roundabout way it has reduced speeds, if you drive at 30mph in a 20mph area what speed did you drive at when it was 30mph, 40mph maybe?

I'm no angel and probably guilty of the above myself!

8. Quote Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post
    In a roundabout way it has reduced speeds, if you drive at 30mph in a 20mph area what speed did you drive at when it was 30mph, 40mph maybe?

I'm no angel and probably guilty of the above myself!

I think that this may have been the reason it was introduced in the first place. They know a lot of drivers often creep up a bit over the posted limit, so by reducing the permitted speed, they keep (most) drivers below the original speed limit. Crafty eh !

9. Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    Interesting Alikado , so why have it ? When it was first introduced I thought it was a great idea . But soon realised it was not enforceable.
    When they were introduced the Association of Chief Police Officers said they would not be enforcing it, probably because they were not consulted or a protest against cuts.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    When they were introduced the Association of Chief Police Officers said they would not be enforcing it, probably because they were not consulted or a protest against cuts.
    This was on my web site but I can remember reading that the police would not enforce the 20mph speed limit
    , this was before the change of law was enforced

11. I think the way it was put into place ie; blanket 20mph virtually everywhere no matter the road or conditions, simply lead to it being widely ignored, has probably increased actual speed on some roads.

12. Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    Sounds like the sort who would also overtake a 'slow' car that is keeping to 30mph in a 30mph area. I find it happens particularly frequently when approaching the end of a 30mph limit....There are those who habitually disrespect any limit - even the 70mph limit on motorways!

13. Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    I think the way it was put into place ie; blanket 20mph virtually everywhere no matter the road or conditions, simply lead to it being widely ignored, has probably increased actual speed on some roads.
    We are fortunate that it doesn't start at Kew, Woodvale & the Plough and all roads in between would be 20 mph, that was one option and it was the cheapest as very few signs would need to be put up.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    We are fortunate that it doesn't start at Kew, Woodvale & the Plough and all roads in between would be 20 mph, that was one option and it was the cheapest as very few signs would need to be put up.
    Its bad enough (20mph) all the way from Shore Rd, through Station Rd, and along Heathfield Rd till you get to Carr Lane, then its back to 30mph!

15. Sussex Road is 20mph from the lights at Norwood Rd, you get to St Lukes Road lights is changes to 30mph then immediately drops to 20mph again, its 30mph for a 100 yards if that?

16. Quote Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post
    Sussex Road is 20mph from the lights at Norwood Rd, you get to St Lukes Road lights is changes to 30mph then immediately drops to 20mph again, its 30mph for a 100 yards if that?
    St Lukes Rd is 30mph so when you get to the lights you enter a 30 zone then exit it straight away if you are crossing over, Hawkshead St juction will be the same.

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Buxton / East Midlands
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Buxton

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in buxton
Replacement Stove Glass in buxton
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
buxtonbuxton News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)