caerphilly, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast
-->
  1. Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Just exactly how would you consider that a No Deal Brexit will be detrimental to the UK?
    Now that the deadline approaches without the slightest sign of an acceptable deal, just keep your eye on the companies either skipping the country or have plans in place to do so.

All motor manufacturers are nervous and have publicly stated that if Brexit involves hold ups then they will relocate out of the UK, Airbus just this evening have given the clearest indication of future plans, then of course we have Dyson an ardent Brexiteer who is moving new business and production to Singapore, surprise, surprise there are already in existence trade links between the EU and Singapore, this trade is growing and he intends to be part of it, the UK doesn't count even though he wants us out the EU.

2. YOUR COMMENTS:

3. The city and banks already moving resources, Holland reporting that 250 UK firms looking to move from the UK. If I was running a business now worried about brexit I’d think about cashing in and closing down, there will be a few of them too.

So much uncertainty and total incompetence by Gov re our future position will only lead to more losses.

only positive thing I’ve heard is some Arab nations building up their property portfolios in the UK, probably due to weak sterling. Can’t see that replacing jobs.

Dont think I’d like to be running an international transport company right now.

4. Bonkers Brexit

Not one brexiter I've met so far, can give me an example of how they personally will benefit from us leaving....But I can give them many examples of how they and I will lose out.

5. Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    The city and banks already moving resources, Holland reporting that 250 UK firms looking to move from the UK. If I was running a business now worried about brexit I’d think about cashing in and closing down, there will be a few of them too.

So much uncertainty and total incompetence by Gov re our future position will only lead to more losses.

only positive thing I’ve heard is some Arab nations building up their property portfolios in the UK, probably due to weak sterling. Can’t see that replacing jobs.

Dont think I’d like to be running an international transport company right now.
    Not strictly Brexit origins, but ref; Gov incompetence just seen the figures for purchase of steel used on publicly funded construction, submarines, warships, buildings even posts for road signs, just 43% of that purchased from UK producers, some glibly point the finger at EU rules, but that is not the case, much of this steel can and should be purchased from UK producers, in reality this steel is coming from many parts of the world so not down to the EU, rather the result of UK Gov handing procurement to buddies, whose aim is to buy the cheapest possible from anywhere then supply the contract at an enhanced profit.

6. Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    Not strictly Brexit origins, but ref; Gov incompetence just seen the figures for purchase of steel used on publicly funded construction, submarines, warships, buildings even posts for road signs, just 43% of that purchased from UK producers, some glibly point the finger at EU rules, but that is not the case, much of this steel can and should be purchased from UK producers, in reality this steel is coming from many parts of the world so not down to the EU, rather the result of UK Gov handing procurement to buddies, whose aim is to buy the cheapest possible from anywhere then supply the contract at an enhanced profit.
    Oh ye of little faith! There are not hundreds of businesses moving out of the UK - this is all part of Project Fear! Those who are likely to move out are those who have been making fat gains from EU grants in the UK and who will no longer be entitled to them. This will encourage more UK businesses to seek greater efficiency in production with less waste.
    Steel has become a point of contention since the market has been flooded with Chinese steel dumping. This is where the Chinese sell steel at a loss to prevent other markets from gaining. Chinese steel is of lower grade than in the UK and China has to import iron, it does not have its own natural resources. This is affecting trade in steel worldwide - not just the UK.
    Established Global companies based in the UK have made plans and contingencies for Brexit - it is not going to affect them much.

7. Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    As I understand it, EU rules state that certain procurement contracts (over a certain value maybe ?) HAVE to go to tender to the EU, hence our new UK passports printed outside of the UK for example.

(The cynical side of me thinks the passport printers were offered 'a deal' by the EU to offer the lowest tender price :-) )

8. Chinese steel is crap. To the point I've had quotes to do for Chinese companies (via subcontract) that have insisted the stainless steel comes from Europe. Says something when they won't even use it themselves.

9. Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    Not one brexiter I've met so far, can give me an example of how they personally will benefit from us leaving....But I can give them many examples of how they and I will lose out.
    Love to know just which Brexit supporters you have been talking to. Very few Brexit people take the media reports on face value. The EU was supposed to be an agency which acted to improve global marketing and provide a greater economy with less unemployment to each of the member states. In a period of more than forty years - it failed to provide this. Over the years, the EU began encroaching on the infrastructure of each member country and also on people's personal lives. This included taxation, security, health, education etc., none of which could be associated with global marketing. Then the EU decided to incorporate a European army - which after its unpopular interference in the Gulf States, appeared to be more of a power issue than security. The EU was often associated with each country's general elections - which, as a marketing agency was not advisable. The trend was that the EU was slowly taking over the management of each country whereby the individual governments would become defunct. The EU was almost totally managed by the Germans, whose past history involves creating a European State of which Germany expected to be the leader. There are several incidences involving the EU, that occurred outside of Europe, that indicate that the EU was not satisfied to take over just Europe - the event in Israel which led to hefty fines against the EU was just one such incident. The fines were paid out of tax payers money.
    Just what benefits can you give for staying in the EU? An outdated ostrich who cannot manage its own affairs efficiently?
    If you ask just how people will benefit from coming out of the EU - I would say in every way possible. We have had a narrow escape.

10. There can be no substantial benefits from leaving the EU any Financial Benefit will probably be lost in increased UK red tape, no trade deals will be negotiated better than the EU's as the UK is a smaller market.
    A EU army makes sense as most European Countries struggle to adequately finance and equip the Forces.

11. Quote Originally Posted by *concerned* View Post
    As I understand it, EU rules state that certain procurement contracts (over a certain value maybe ?) HAVE to go to tender to the EU, hence our new UK passports printed outside of the UK for example.

(The cynical side of me thinks the passport printers were offered 'a deal' by the EU to offer the lowest tender price :-) )
    Sure many contracts have to go out to tender, it is still the decision of the purchaser as to which tender they accept, many EU countries simply claim national interest and keep supply in house and when it comes to military equipment there is no requirement to tender for supply or construction, certainly if a country or manufacturer has known expertise in certain areas, it would be foolish not to look at options, but that is relatively rare.

12. Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    Sure many contracts have to go out to tender, it is still the decision of the purchaser as to which tender they accept, many EU countries simply claim national interest and keep supply in house and when it comes to military equipment there is no requirement to tender for supply or construction, certainly if a country or manufacturer has known expertise in certain areas, it would be foolish not to look at options, but that is relatively rare.
    Many EU countries have also used an exemption on the grounds of national security for passport production in their own country. The Tories, as per usual, are blaming an EU directive that could be exempted.

13. Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Oh ye of little faith! There are not hundreds of businesses moving out of the UK - this is all part of Project Fear! Those who are likely to move out are those who have been making fat gains from EU grants in the UK and who will no longer be entitled to them. This will encourage more UK businesses to seek greater efficiency in production with less waste.
    Steel has become a point of contention since the market has been flooded with Chinese steel dumping. This is where the Chinese sell steel at a loss to prevent other markets from gaining. Chinese steel is of lower grade than in the UK and China has to import iron, it does not have its own natural resources. This is affecting trade in steel worldwide - not just the UK.
    Established Global companies based in the UK have made plans and contingencies for Brexit - it is not going to affect them much.
    For Project Fear, try Project Reality.

Just to clarify I'm not an avid Europhobe, but simply stepping out and cutting connections is blind stupidity, sure the EU may miss us as a customer, but is there anything in supply that the EU needs, we cannot live on imports alone, nor are we truly self supporting.

Do you deny what many companies are saying and making preparations for? do you deny what is actually happening now? If so that is just self denial with no bearing on reality.

You are aware I hope, that we have no independent trade deals outside of the EU, that in itself is not impossible, but gaining conformity of standards is more difficult, this means frankly in order to sell to anyone, including the EU, we will have to meet their standards rather than our own.

14. Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    You are aware I hope, that we have no independent trade deals outside of the EU, that in itself is not impossible, but gaining conformity of standards is more difficult, this means frankly in order to sell to anyone, including the EU, we will have to meet their standards rather than our own.
    FTA negotiations with non-EU countries, the US for example, can result in acceptance of standards that are lower than the ones you currently enjoy. You'll probably also have to look forward to the wonderful world of the Investor State Dispute Settlement.

People tend to think that FTAs are a universal panacea. Negotiations are incredibly complex, and take years. The final result will not be exactly what you wanted, but compromises have to be made by all parties along the way.

15. Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    For Project Fear, try Project Reality.

Just to clarify I'm not an avid Europhobe, but simply stepping out and cutting connections is blind stupidity, sure the EU may miss us as a customer, but is there anything in supply that the EU needs, we cannot live on imports alone, nor are we truly self supporting.

Do you deny what many companies are saying and making preparations for? do you deny what is actually happening now? If so that is just self denial with no bearing on reality.

'Project Fear' , 'remoaners' they like their titles.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    'Project Fear' , 'remoaners' they like their titles.
    Yes they do. Ridicule is the first and last argument of a fool.

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Caerphilly / Wales
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Caerphilly

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in caerphilly
Replacement Stove Glass in caerphilly
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
caerphillycaerphilly News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)