leicestershire, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
-->
  1. Town centres

As we all are aware Town centres throughout the UK are dying , is it time that councils and central government gave help too TCs, like helping them to help themselves, i.e. Reduce business rates and tax ,providing that the sum reduced is reinvested in the individual business. I was in town today and it's heartbreaking to see so many empty shop units. Something has to be done .

2. YOUR COMMENTS:

3. Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    As we all are aware Town centres throughout the UK are dying , is it time that councils and central government gave help too TCs, like helping them to help themselves, i.e. Reduce business rates and tax ,providing that the sum reduced is reinvested in the individual business. I was in town today and it's heartbreaking to see so many empty shop units. Something has to be done .
    The internet means we don't need as many shops as we used to. Turn them into something else. Most retailers have shot there own high street presence in the foot by selling a bigger range online. Why bother going to town to find they don't stock what you're looking for?
    Also reducing rates and tax means less money for public services which are already suffering from cuts in funding.

4. Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    The internet means we don't need as many shops as we used to. Turn them into something else. Most retailers have shot there own high street presence in the foot by selling a bigger range online. Why bother going to town to find they don't stock what you're looking for?
    Also reducing rates and tax means less money for public services which are already suffering from cuts in funding.
    The net has killed the high street , I for one like to shop in my local shops . And I firmly believe that local businesses need help to survive , it's so easy just to right off our local shops, and by doing this we are putting local people out of work thereby becoming reliant on benefits which are funded by taxation .

5. Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    I take it you are aware that 50% of business rates go to central government, who then magnanimously give it back to local government in the form of grants, helps to hide the cuts.

6. Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    I take it you are aware that 50% of business rates go to central government, who then magnanimously give it back to local government in the form of grants, helps to hide the cuts.
    Yes I'm well aware of that. So if business rates were cut then that means less would work its way back to councils in grants.

7. Free parking would be nice.
    Hey lets go to Southport free to park,and lots of shops.

8. Quote Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
    Free parking would be nice.
    I think free parking would be counterproductive but a reduction in parking fees would help.

9. Unless someone breaks the internet, Town centres will NEVER be like they where. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Make parking free, give them free rates, it will make little to no difference.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    Unless someone breaks the internet, Town centres will NEVER be like they where. Welcome to the 21st Century.

So Ceam you think trying to help the retail sector to help themselves would be a waste of time .

11. Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    So Ceam you think trying to help the retail sector to help themselves would be a waste of time .
    Honestly, Yes. Retail sector is still there. It's just a lot smaller than it was. It's where we are as a nation. Online shopping is where people prefer to buy. They need to have a service on top of just selling things. That can be done online usually cheaper.

Not saying I like it, it's just a fact.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    Honestly, Yes. Retail sector is still there. It's just a lot smaller than it was. It's where we are as a nation. Online shopping is where people prefer to buy. They need to have a service on top of just selling things. That can be done online usually cheaper.

Not saying I like it, it's just a fact.
    Sorry, but thinking sensibly and rationally isn’t usually the norm on subjects like this. Can you refrain from doing so please? Blaming parking and Sefton Council is all that’s permissible.

13. Southport has an excellent Park and Ride at a very reasonable cost covering the whole length of Lord St and car park charges compare very favourably to most towns and cities in the Northwest.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    Unless someone breaks the internet, Town centres will NEVER be like they where. Welcome to the 21st Century.

Spot on.
    I live a 1 minute walk from Lord Street so parking isn't the reason why I rarely shop in town other than for immediate essentials. It comes down to choice and price. I can buy anything in the world from the comfort of home so why restrict myself to what a smallish provincial town can offer?

15. Quote Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
    Free parking would be nice.
    Parking is free at the various supermarkets around town. While some do require you to make a small purchase, others are free for a set period...E.g. Sainsburys offer 30mins free and you can exit without making a purchase - works for me!

Re: town centre on-street pay and display. You have to be lucky to even find an empty space. Surely, if the present charges were putting people off there would be a glut of empty spaces?

16. ….also if it was Free Parking, workers in town would take advantage, leaving NO spaces for shoppers

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Leicestershire
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in leicestershire
Replacement Stove Glass in leicestershire
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
leicestershireleicestershire News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)