UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

1. Published on: 18/09/2021 10:43 AMReported by: rogerblaxall
    Latest news from our hardworking MP

ROSIE COOPER MP SLAMS CRUEL GOVERNMENT’S CUT TO UNIVERSAL CREDIT

Immediate release: Friday 17 September

In the wake of the success of Labour’s motion to cancel a savage cut to Universal Credit (UC), Rosie Cooper MP has sharply criticised the government’s failure to listen to the voices of those who will be affected.

At the beginning of the first national lockdown in 2020, the government provided an “uplift” to UC and Working Tax Credits of £20 a week – just over £1,000 a year.

The government has now signalled its intention to remove this lifeline at the start of October.

The Labour Party tabled an Opposition Day Motion to cancel the cut, which passed by 253 votes to nil on 15 September. Unfortunately, Opposition Day Motions are not binding and the government has indicated no intention to change course.

Rosie Cooper MP commented: “It cannot be right that the government is pushing ahead with this cruel and misguided plan. Universal Credit was not adequate before the pandemic, so while the uplift was a welcome piece of support for those on low incomes, the idea that it can now be safely withdrawn is simply inhumane.

“Many of my Labour colleagues in parliament made passionate and emotional appeals to the government to change course, and it is shameful that they have not. The government seems to think that cutting UC is necessary to get people working. It sounds to me like they want to starve people into work.

“The truth is that many UC claimants are already in work, but that work is so insecure and low-paid that they still require support. That should be a cause for great shame for the government.

“Thousands of my constituents will be poorer as a result of this decision. In fact, every MP has constituents who will be affected. Not a single Tory MP had the courage to show up and vote against Labour’s motion, because they know how damaging this will be for their communities.

“There is still time for the government to see sense and reverse course. I would encourage all those in West Lancashire who are concerned about these changes to contact my office and we will do our best to help.”

2. Dislikes town36 disliked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

Your Comments:

4. justbecause says:18/09/2021 11:38 AM
    When will this stupid woman get it into her thick skull, Universal Credit isn’t being cut, it’s simply reverting back to the level it was pre-COVID. The £20 uplift was only ever brought in as a temporary measure. If she wants a drum to bang, she should campaign to get pensioners a decent living pension. After more than 50 years of paying into the system, I now get a pittance of £752 a month, equivalent to £4.34 per hour, less than half of the minimum wage. Added to that, my wife has been cheated out of six years of State Pension.
    Those on UC don’t realise just how well off they really are.
    Last edited by justbecause; 18/09/2021 at 12:56 PM.

5. Likes local, town36, Billd liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22, Muzungu disliked this post
  6. Sproggy the Cat says:18/09/2021 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justbecause View Post
    When will this stupid woman get it into her thick skull, Universal Credit isn’t being cut, it’s simply reverting back to the level it was pre-COVID. The £20 uplift was only ever brought in as a temporary measure. If she wants a drum to bang, she should campaign to get pensioners a decent living pension. After more than 50 years of paying into the system, I now get a pittance of £752 a month, equivalent to £4.34 per hour, less than half of the minimum wage. Added to that, my wife has been cheated out of six years of State Pension.
    Those on UC don’t realise just how well off they really are.
    You’re lucky, I only get £640/ month.
    Hardly the well off pensioner the young think we are.

7. Likes town36, Billd liked this post
  8. donkey22 says:18/09/2021 02:21 PM
    Someone pass me a violin please.
    Be grateful you’re not on Universal Credit.

Joint claimants both aged under 25 with the £20 uplift: £490.60 per month. Joint claimants both aged under 25 without the £20 uplift: £403.94. Joint claimants either aged 25 or over with the £20 uplift: £596.58 per month. Joint claimants either aged 25 or over without the £20 uplift: £509.92.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...dit-will-I-get

9. Likes Muzungu liked this post
  10. salus.populi says:18/09/2021 04:59 PM
    equivalent to £4.34 per hour, less than half of the minimum wage.
    Per hour of what? You're not doing any work.

11. justbecause says:18/09/2021 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    Per hour of what? You're not doing any work.
    That’s right, but prior to retiring I worked for 51 years, never having a single day’s unemployment. During this time, I have paid literally hundreds of thousands of £’s in Income Tax and National Insurance(both as an employee and employer). My reward is a pittance of a State pension which equates to an hourly rate of £4.34, awarded to me by a Government that has decreed that the minimum wage for adults be set at £8.91 per hour. Yes, I admit that I do have a Private pension, and I have been fortunate enough to accrue some savings over the years, which means that State pension I receive gets taxed at 20%.
    In contrast, my daughter is married to a lowlife who hasn’t worked in over fifteen years, and refuses to ever consider working again because he gets nearly £30k a year(tax free) from Universal Credit. Hardly fair is it.

12. Likes town36, Billd liked this post
  13. salus.populi says:18/09/2021 06:34 PM
    Yes, I admit that I do have a Private pension
    So you're not living on less than the minimum wage then are you?
    Nobody seriously expects the state pension to be solely enough to live on.

14. local says:18/09/2021 06:40 PM
    It was certainly announced as a temporary uplift.

The problem is in the future which government would dare introduce any temporary uplift?

How does anyone get more than the benefit cap number;

https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap/benefit-cap-amounts

I am interested because my taxes help pay for it.

15. Likes town36, Billd liked this post
  16. said says:18/09/2021 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey22 View Post
    Someone pass me a violin please.
    Be grateful you’re not on Universal Credit.

Joint claimants both aged under 25 with the £20 uplift: £490.60 per month. Joint claimants both aged under 25 without the £20 uplift: £403.94. Joint claimants either aged 25 or over with the £20 uplift: £596.58 per month. Joint claimants either aged 25 or over without the £20 uplift: £509.92.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...dit-will-I-get

Plus X, and plus another X, and plus another X etc., people on benefits are now paid a far higher rate than at any time in the past, at least sufficient for super huge television sets, pedigree pets, designer clothing, alcohol and tobacco and still they demand more money??

Universal Credit
    £ 1514.37 per month for a young unemployed couple with a child in rented accommodation!

More than £18K a year for doing nothing!

17. Likes justbecause, town36, Billd liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22, Muzungu disliked this post
  18. salus.populi says:18/09/2021 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    £ 1514.37 per month for a young unemployed couple with a child in rented accommodation!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

£18k per year between 3 people is hardly living the dream.

19. donkey22 says:18/09/2021 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Plus X, and plus another X, and plus another X etc., people on benefits are now paid a far higher rate than at any time in the past, at least sufficient for super huge television sets, pedigree pets, designer clothing, alcohol and tobacco and still they demand more money??

Universal Credit

Could you be a bit more specific regarding your ‘plus x’ amounts?
    Universal credit is a lump sum. You don’t get housing benefit on top of it.
    You do realise that they would have to fund their rent out of that figure as well?
    Not such a great deal then is it.
    Generally, people are worse off now on Universal Credit than they were on the old system. Your claim about people being better off is either a lie or your just making things up like you do with most of your posts on here.

20. Likes Muzungu liked this post
  21. jayjay2000 says:19/09/2021 09:13 AM
    In contrast, my daughter is married to a lowlife who hasn’t worked in over fifteen years, and refuses to ever consider working again because he gets nearly £30k a year(tax free) from Universal Credit. Hardly fair is it.
    £30k for a person on UC, with a partner who (we assume) is working herself (otherwise she would be another lowlife) seems very, very high. Could you break down that figure to show why he (they?) get so much? Otherwise hard to believe. Thanks.

22. Likes salus.populi liked this post
  23. Little Londoner says:19/09/2021 10:24 AM
    Think about prices for goods and services which have gone up considerably since the £20 was added and further rises being imminent if you want to heat your home or have hot water. I'm no statistician but I would wager that the £20 has been well and truly swallowed up by none deadbeat claimants who are not trying to get "summat fer nowt"

The fact that fat pompous Tories are totally indifferent to people they know will never vote for them and take food and heat away from innocents is just kicking sand in the faces of the disadvantaged backed up by the rich who they really Govern for.
    Tory whips were ordered to tell possible dissenters in their ranks that any financial aid to their constituencies will be witheld that is the reality of the type of characters governing this Country.
    As usual it is left to the low paid and people on benefits to take the hit, bit like the First World War where Generals in their Chateau's living the life of Riley were sending whole communities to be wiped out, nothing changes really does it.
    Last edited by Little Londoner; 19/09/2021 at 10:35 AM.

24. Likes salus.populi liked this post
  25. justbecause says:19/09/2021 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay2000 View Post
    £30k for a person on UC, with a partner who (we assume) is working herself (otherwise she would be another lowlife) seems very, very high. Could you break down that figure to show why he (they?) get so much? Otherwise hard to believe. Thanks.
    No, she’s a full time mother, looking after the eleven children he’s saddled her with.
    I don’t have the breakdown figures, but, besides job seekers allowance,(which he shouldn’t get because he’s not looking for work), they get almost £900 per month in housing benefit, don’t pay Council Tax obviously, Family Allowance alone comes out at over £200 PER WEEK.

26. salus.populi says:19/09/2021 12:07 PM
    No, she’s a full time mother, looking after the eleven children he’s saddled her with.
    Did she have no say in the matter eleven times?

So is it £30k just for him or £30k for the family of 13?
    Last edited by salus.populi; 19/09/2021 at 01:08 PM.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations