UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    I plead guilty to all of the above but certainly not to using lung damaging forest destroying woodburning stoves my conscience won't let me damage local childrens lungs....Eco hypocrites are everywhere and PNP is one.
    Gosh - we're back to the same old yet again! Please tell us honestly, how often do you actually see smoke coming from chimneys with a stove-cowl fitted? In my experience, rarely. Now how often do you see smoke coming from cars tailpipes? In my experience, quite frequently - and then there's the recent VW smoking tailpipe debacle!

Consider now the great tonnage of fossil fuels (coal, oil, road/aviation-fuels, etc) burnt daily in the UK. Woodstoves nationally consume a mere fraction of that....It's obvious the majority of soot particles in our air originate from motor vehicles, etc - not from Defra-approved smokeless woodstoves.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes

Thumbs down Do you want more of the same?

#42 Is this just for road vehicles? …I honestly cannot envisage this happening in fifteen years (2035 now given) for many reasons.
    How will people be encouraged to give up their reliable old car to pay out for a far more not so reliable expensive car?
    • Government subsidies have been offered for new purchases of these - but that value has dropped since 2018.
      The National Grid struggles to provide for a sudden mass demand of electricity - how will it cope with a sudden demand for around 31 million cars? Where will this additional power come from?
    • Charging a car at home overnight will require special charging kits that will cost extra, and this option will not available for those who do not have a parking space or live in flats etc.,
    • Travelling into London will be impossible even for those living just outside the city - how will commuters fare? Is this the real reason for the HS2?
    • Each battery will require several changes during the life time of the car - these are very costly and likely to be even more so as component metals become scarce.
    Discount for the moment the problem of GHGs. Think what you're going to lose by failure to adopt innovations. Autonomous EVs offer the hope of cleaner, quieter urban spaces. Many scenarios forecast an end to parking regimes; pedestrian friendly cities; clean air!

Retaining internal combustion engines and current patterns of movement gives you in 15 or 20 years time more of the congestion, noise and air pollution currently evident in cities.

It was mass automobile ownership that did it for Southport's Victorian ambience.

Last edited by sandGroundZero; 18/02/2020 at 09:23 AM.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    The National Grid struggles to provide for a sudden mass demand of electricity - how will it cope with a sudden demand for around 31 million cars? Where will this additional power come from?
    Something else that’s gone under the radar slightly is that from 2025, gas boilers for central heating and hot water will be banned in all new build homes.
    With a possibility that gas hobs and ovens will also be banned and there will be no connection to the gas grid.

So all new build homes will need electricity for all heating, lighting, cooking, power etc. Electric boilers are available now and more will be developed but will have a huge additional drain on the grid.

Air and ground source heat pumps are an alternative but these need electricity to operate (lots of it in cold weather), solar is another option but I wouldn’t like to rely on it to run everything in the home 24 / 7 with just a few panels on the roof and it certainly wouldn’t work in the hundreds of apartment blocks that are going up in our cities.

So add this additional demand onto the existing National grid plus the demand for vehicle charging and I can see problems ahead.

Can the existing power stations meet the additional demand, is the distribution grid capable of carrying the additional demand, are rural areas suitably connected.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Something else that’s gone under the radar slightly is that from 2025, gas boilers for central heating and hot water will be banned in all new build homes.
    With a possibility that gas hobs and ovens will also be banned and there will be no connection to the gas grid.

So all new build homes will need electricity for all heating, lighting, cooking, power etc. Electric boilers are available now and more will be developed but will have a huge additional drain on the grid.

Air and ground source heat pumps are an alternative but these need electricity to operate (lots of it in cold weather), solar is another option but I wouldn’t like to rely on it to run everything in the home 24 / 7 with just a few panels on the roof and it certainly wouldn’t work in the hundreds of apartment blocks that are going up in our cities.

So add this additional demand onto the existing National grid plus the demand for vehicle charging and I can see problems ahead.

Can the existing power stations meet the additional demand, is the distribution grid capable of carrying the additional demand, are rural areas suitably connected.
    The answer to all is a definite no, we have power stations coming to end of life, others being decommissioned because they use the wromg type of fuel and a Government who cannot find anybody to build us new ones. The distribution grid is already overloaded in many areas with cables running 'hot' and there is very little extra capacity available anywhere.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    The answer to all is a definite no, we have power stations coming to end of life, others being decommissioned because they use the wromg type of fuel and a Government who cannot find anybody to build us new ones. The distribution grid is already overloaded in many areas with cables running 'hot' and there is very little extra capacity available anywhere.
    Norway is way in front - see this: https://elbil.no/english/norwegian-ev-policy/

The number of el-cars in Norway is increasing day by day - and our hydro-electicity is a benefit to us.

What would such policies cost the UK government? Lots and lots! Don't think any UK government would dare to match Norway!
    Age is simply a matter of mind - age doesn't matter if you don't mind

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    Gosh - we're back to the same old yet again! Please tell us honestly, how often do you actually see smoke coming from chimneys with a stove-cowl fitted? In my experience, rarely. Now how often do you see smoke coming from cars tailpipes? In my experience, quite frequently - and then there's the recent VW smoking tailpipe debacle!

Consider now the great tonnage of fossil fuels (coal, oil, road/aviation-fuels, etc) burnt daily in the UK. Woodstoves nationally consume a mere fraction of that....It's obvious the majority of soot particles in our air originate from motor vehicles, etc - not from Defra-approved smokeless woodstoves.

You keep pedalling lies and I will reply with endless statistics and proof;

The latest government findings reveal that a single wood burner generates twice the number of harmful PM2.5 particles than a diesel exhaust.

The British Medical Journal found that just one “wood log burning stove” sends more PM2.5 into the atmosphere than a “1,000 petrol cars”.

A joint study by Kings College and the National Physical Laboratory, for example estimates in London and Birmingham, that wood burning is responsible for “between 23 to 31 per cent of PM2.5 emissions”.

With Links;

https://transportexchangegroup.com/2...-reducing-co2/

Likes / Dislikes
    I recommend a commentary Gas boilers to be banned in 2025? We dont think so. It points to a tendency for alarming snippets to grow out of proportion these internet days.

Perhaps we should take consolation from the suggestion that in the convoluted workings-out of government policy, there are at least some mechanisms to put aspirations into the public sphere.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post
    I recommend a commentary Gas boilers to be banned in 2025? We dont think so. It points to a tendency for alarming snippets to grow out of proportion these internet days.

Perhaps we should take consolation from the suggestion that in the convoluted workings-out of government policy, there are at least some mechanisms to put aspirations into the public sphere.
    I’ve spent over 40 years in the industry dealing with all of the major house builders, it’s all over the industry.

its coming

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    There is a large presumption implicit in this quote.

Bear in mind that, in a period of massive technological and social change, patterns of behaviour change. Apart from statutory requirements, market mechanisms will exert their influence.
    Last edited by sandGroundZero; 18/02/2020 at 03:09 PM.

Likes / Dislikes
    I’ve spent over 40 years in the industry dealing with all of the major house builders, it’s all over the industry.
    its coming
    Yes; I suppose gas boilers will have to go, eventually. However it will be very surprising, if that happens in the time frame suggested.

Likes / Dislikes
    Existing Petrol & Diesel engines and Gas Boilers will still be around for many many years the bans being mentioned are for NEW SALES which will probably lead to a surge in sales before any ban comes in.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    You keep pedalling lies and I will reply with endless statistics and proof;

The latest government findings reveal that a single wood burner generates twice the number of harmful PM2.5 particles than a diesel exhaust.

The British Medical Journal found that just one “wood log burning stove” sends more PM2.5 into the atmosphere than a “1,000 petrol cars”.

A joint study by Kings College and the National Physical Laboratory, for example estimates in London and Birmingham, that wood burning is responsible for “between 23 to 31 per cent of PM2.5 emissions”.

With Links;

https://transportexchangegroup.com/2...-reducing-co2/
    I share your concern for the uncritical adoption of woodburners in recent years. However you claim that you are arguing with facts.
    You say that there was a BMJ study which said that one wood stove emitted more pollution than 1000 petrol cars. In fact this quote was not part of the BMJ study, but was an online comment to the BMJ website from an Australian researcher. She was quoting from studies in Australia, where wood smoke is a serious pollutant for many communities.
    A review of these studies is given here: http://woodsmoke.3sc.net/woodheater-car-comparison
    It emphasises that modern petrol (and diesel with particulate filters) are very low emission when it comes to particulates (although emissions of brake, tyre and road surface have to be added to the figures to give real life emissions...the graphic suggests that this doubles emissions).
    I'm very concerned about the burning of non-standard fuels, e.g. old tanalised timber, which typically contains arsenic or other unpleasant chemicals. I know it goes on having spoken to folk who've installed woodburners.

Likes / Dislikes

Politics gas-fired central heating

Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    Existing Petrol & Diesel engines and Gas Boilers will still be around for many many years the bans being mentioned are for NEW SALES which will probably lead to a surge in sales before any ban comes in.
    1. wait to see if it gets into legislation; then
    2. see how it may be implemented
    New housing estates created without gas infrastructure (if it happens) could pose a problem in future in the event some technological fix appears — some seem to imagine hydrogen replacing natural gas, though that's speculative, at present. Would it be expedient to replace older boilers, now? I wonder.

In any case, I anticipate problems associated with increased flood risk (owing, not least, to sea level rise in Sefton) will be a greater headache for policy makers.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post
    1. wait to see if it gets into legislation; then
    2. see how it may be implemented
    New housing estates created without gas infrastructure (if it happens) could pose a problem in future in the event some technological fix appears — some seem to imagine hydrogen replacing natural gas, though that's speculative, at present. Would it be expedient to replace older boilers, now? I wonder.

In any case, I anticipate problems associated with increased flood risk (owing, not least, to sea level rise in Sefton) will be a greater headache for policy makers.
    Good luck with that remember the R101 & The Hindenberg?

Likes / Dislikes

Lightbulb hydrogen

…highly reactive is certainly a problem with hydrogen. At present it is costly to produce and distribute.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations