UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

Rock at The Riverside The True Story

It all started by not having any venues for Southport Bands to play at (now after 25 years it has a familiar sound?). I was with Rock On and Colin Degrave in Dice at the time and we knew Mike Scott so he and I set to sorting the problem. The Riverside was a venue we had personal knowledge about and seemed like a good venue. Ralph Halstead agreed to let us have the main room for nothing on a quiet Thursday night – a one off – no further plans. It turned out a little different! More soon.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    The first gig was to be on Thursday 30th November 1978 in just the front room of the Riverside. As this was the first we did not know if we even cover costs let alone have any money left over to pay the bands. But Mike and I wanted loads of bands! The bands started to confirm – Dice of course; Alan Phillips from Marital Aids said they would support the event; Brian Gee committed The West Coast Flyers and Shy Talk and Panache jumped on board (not certain how they came to us). Marital Aids had played at Liverpool’s premier Punk Venue, Eric’s and apparently The Flyers were a recording band. Steve Blower did the ticket and poster design, Colin Degrave organised sheets of 8 by 4 marine ply to make two additional stages and a contact of mine from Leyland (?), Northwest Lighting, agreed to put up a rig. Tickets were 50p from Publicity and Attractions and Flame Amplifications on Eastbank Street (any one remember the red speaker cabs?) to include a return trip on one of two double-decker buses. Now there’s a story! We borrowed two red buses and two red bus drivers that between them could transport 140 Rock fans from the Monument to the Riverside. The drivers’ deal was that we would supply them ale and let them in for nothing. They were the only ones who did get in for nought! On the night we even had our own door staff organised by Scotch Ian who was my window cleaner at K Shoes where I was working at the time.
    A week or so before the gig ticket sales were good enough to persuade Ralph Halstead to open the second room and I think we put Darrell Jay Road Show with his monster PA and a guest band.
    More soon.

Likes / Dislikes
    Good old Scotch Ian ( I'm relying on you for the "Scotch" title there Karl!) I remember asking him if he'd "had to take the toilet door in the Gents completely off it's hinges?" He replied in the affirmative... so who was I to question further..? Halfway through the gig Karl remembered that Dice had some Dry Ice for the smoke machine - essential for they're spot so I had to race back to Southport to get it, thus missing seeing Shy Talk and Panache! Sorry! Back to you Karl...
    Last edited by a.l.guzzler; 06/09/2004 at 07:41 PM. Reason: addition...
    Weather forecast for tonight: Dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.
    George Carlin.

Likes / Dislikes

More

Ah, yes the dry ice. We had to go to Liverpool to get the stuff. It's so cold it'll take skin of hands in 10 seconds flat - but a great effect non the less.

Anything else I skip over please feel free to jump in.

Meanwhile back at the ranch.

Thursday afternoon we set the place up – forced the usual hangers oners to pay their 50p too (what do you mean you’re the manager – cough up) and then waited for the punters. “If you set it up they will come” and they did. The bus drivers had some refreshments compliments of Shoestring and I understand that the journeys home were more interesting. We managed to pay the bands £40 each (I think) and still had a bit left over for the next promotion and a bag of chips.
    The next event on February 15th 1979 saw us Dice boys back as top of bill (got to be some perks?) being joined in the front room by Mantis, Stratos and the A & K Sounds Disco (the A being Arthur Pheby, my bother-in-law, that’s important information for later). Darrell occupied the rear room in his own right this time with a band called Stilleto. (I think Stilleto featured Howard Morris on drums playing with a Python round his neck!) Tickets this time were only on sale from Record Supermarket in Eastbank Street as the Publicity and attractions had realised that we were nothing to do with Southport Corporation and Flame (was the guy called Vic?) I think had gone bust. We fly posted mostly in the early hours our posters on every surface we could get away with.
    Once again we made a profit so we could pay the bands and Darrell and put a bit in the kitty for next time.
    About this time I started writing, in Arthur’s name, to the Letters Page of The Southport Visitor complaining about just about anything. Mike would answer and I would moan on and on. Free advertising!
    Also, around the third event I was being approached by Bronze Agency to place their bands. We (well, I) turned down the Cure as their demo was crap and they were using Woolworths’ Top Twenty guitars. Also gave a miss to someone called Sade – they wanted far too much (£200) and I had never heard of the fellow. On a positive note I had met Tony Prince, Radio Caroline DJ, whilst I was on holiday. He was doing some work for Paul McCartney’s new band Wings. He gave me Paul’s address and so I wrote to him asking if he fancied a local gig. All I could pay was £40 but I’d buy him and the boys a drink and guarantee that no one would know he was playing until he got on stage.
    More to come.

Likes / Dislikes

Flame Amplification

Karl,... Vic Grace was his name, played a cherry red 335, in a 3 pce Liverpool band ( named "Verity" "Trinity" or something like that?) along with a bass player called Gordy Littlewood who used a Gibson S.G.bass (rare, then as I recall) and a Crazy drummer( aren't they all!) who had a real obsession with Marsha Hunt. I saw them a few times up at the "Starlight Room"

Likes / Dislikes

The story continues

What response did we get from the great P Mc absolute deafening silence! Still, to win the lottery you have to first buy a ticket.

By this time we were being contacted by loads of bands several from Liverpool.

Rock School and Export were booked to appear. Export was in Radio City’s Battle of the Bands and their previously agreed price went up immediately they won the competition. But what a band? I remember all the other band’s drummers watching Lou’s bass drum technique trying to work out how he was doing what he was doing – ‘cause what he was doing couldn’t be done!

We had a mini crisis about this time on the staging front. We built a stage over the seats at the far end of the main room on about 6 8 by 4 sheets supported by iron girders. The panels separated and all I saw was the band’s drummer (I think it was Quad) disappearing down the back – Colin running underneath and lifting the whole construction (strong guy) whilst a couple of us bolted it back together. Quad of course just carried on playing.

As a side we had the idea of putting panels on top of these “A” frame sheets so Colin very carefully measured the distances and that night we cut all the marine ply sheets and these heavy weight guiders. All the assembled sheets were numbered so that they could be positioned on the corresponding seats. That took two nights of four of us working until gone midnight. We brought the stages sections in and, horror – they did not fit. Colin was so angry he kicked one of the “A” frame seats that promptly moved. They weren’t fixed to the floor – no need to cut anything – could have left them in whole sheets.

We were in the grove now. Open the doors and a few folks came in and we were in panic mode until the buses arrived full of paying putters.

Next, the story of The Out and how it all came to an end in near madness.

Likes / Dislikes

The end of the Rock

The Out were support Sad Café on tour and had a free date. They performed in the front room as top of the bill and turned in a creditable performance. The main thing I remember was their PA system – 6 Bose 802’s on each side. They got Ian and I into see Sad Café when they were on at Southport Theatre and at the end of the show Ian was talking to the guitarist and asked him how he got his sound. The guy stopped the Roadies knocking down and switched all the gear on and gave Ian a demo. Nice people!

By now we had built up some “spare” cash for future events and THE tour presented it’s self. I think at this time we were having relationship problems with The Riverside Management and so when we were contacted by Bronze to see if we would take on this 3-band tour date we first approached the Floral Hall then our bank manger at Barclays. Floral Hall was no problem – the date was free and we could have it (at a price) provided we complied with all council regulations.

The bank manager was a different proposition. Mike Scott and I went to see him and presented our ideas and asked him for, I think, £1,000 overdraft to fund the show. He listened carefully then said (like Deep Thought in Hitchhikers’ Guide to The Galaxy) I’ll have to think about that. His thought process included checking up with his teenage daughter if she knew the bands. Apparently she did know them so in due course (days) he agreed to the advance provided his daughter got a ticket. We went back to Bronze to agree the date but it had been taken. Bugger! So, as we had booked the Hall we substituted Supercharge supported by Dennis Delight and Darrell Jay Road Show instead of MADNESS, SLECTOR and THE SPECIALS. Although a very good night (anyone attend and care to share memories?) we spent all our money and only a clever bit of accounting allowed us to escape with the shirts still on our backs. What a night it should have / would have been?

The bands that performed at Rock at the Riverside:
    (If I’ve missed any, sorry, but do post)

Marital Aids
    Dice
    Shy Talk
    Panache
    West Coast Flyers
    Mantis
    Stratos
    Stilleto
    Quad
    The Out
    Rock School
    Accelerators
    Pass
    Split Legs
    Dennis Delight
    Fancy Dancer (no show)
    Fire Exit
    Body
    Zanathus
    Dick Smith Band
    Mistress
    Thin End of The Wedge
    Glass Torpedos (no show)

Darrell Jay Road Show
    A&K Sounds
    Top Twenty Disco

Likes / Dislikes
    [QUOTE=Karl] The bank manager was a different proposition. Mike Scott and I went to see him and presented our ideas and asked him for, I think, £1,000 overdraft to fund the show.
    them so in due course (days) he agreed to the advance provided his daughter got a ticket.

This is serious corruption ! does the FSA know about this ?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock-On
    Karl,... Vic Grace was his name, played a cherry red 335, in a 3 pce Liverpool band ( named "Verity" "Trinity" or something like that?)
    I remember Vic with his band The Secrets. He died from liver cancer a few years ago.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad
    I remember Vic with his band The Secrets. He died from liver cancer a few years ago.
    Oh! I'm Sorry to hear that. Vic Grace R.I.P.
    Weather forecast for tonight: Dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.
    George Carlin.

Likes / Dislikes
    [QUOTE=Chas King]
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    The bank manager was a different proposition. Mike Scott and I went to see him and presented our ideas and asked him for, I think, £1,000 overdraft to fund the show.
    them so in due course (days) he agreed to the advance provided his daughter got a ticket.

This is serious corruption ! does the FSA know about this ?
    I've a good mind to report him even now! His "dithering" cost us the greatest gig! The date for The Floral Hall was (I think) 27th Oct 1979 and we missed booking The Specials, Madness, Selector and The Modettes by 45 minutes!!! When the time came for our Supercharge gig, only The Modettes were not in the Top Forty!... Still... "Mustn't grumble eh?" It was all a fantastic experience and all I can say is that it's a shame that the old complaints still abound that there's nowhere to play given that there's so many more venues than 25 years ago.
    Last edited by a.l.guzzler; 15/09/2004 at 06:34 PM. Reason: sp
    George Carlin.

Likes / Dislikes
    Great story and a great shame ! Just think if you owned your own venue you would have control over what and who played there.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas King
    Great story and a great shame ! Just think if you owned your own venue you would have control over what and who played there.
    I would still do it today, given the chance.
    George Carlin.

Likes / Dislikes

Corruption

Chas

Good to meet you and everyone on Friday. Great night - crap venue.

Who are the FSA? Keep well away from such shady creatures - that's what I say.

Mike

Do it again - no. It was good then it wouldn't be good now. Just like last Friday was good then but would be different (not as good) if repeated.

Anyone

Rock On still exists on nervous energy. In bed late but up at the crack of dawn – opening bottles with his bare teeth. He also drives at the speed of light. Claims that he can do Worthing to Southport in three and half hours, a claim I, for one, do not dispute.

Likes / Dislikes
    Karl~It was good to meet one half of the entreprenerial Shoestring team. As for the Financial Services Agency, I hope you or I never need them and better still that they don't need us

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations