UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst ... LastLast
-->
  1. Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    After 10 years of Tory austerity I'm not at all surprised that people wanted change. However, the rabid right stirred the pot and put all of the blame for your government's policies on the EU. Hate to say it, but when austerity continues post Brexit, you'll soon be enlightened.

No, he most certainly didn't! The fool should never have offered a referendum. I'm not denigrating voters, but the great majority wouldn't have had the knowledge to make an analysis of the spurious information that was fed to them... many still don't.

I have a feeling that's what will happen... if she can get the backstop sorted. The EU needs you as much as you need them, it's in both your interests to settle. They're saying no, but you're coming down to the wire now. Who knows.

I know some MPS fancy a Norway type deal, but that won't wash. You'd have to accept the same terms as if you were in the EU, and pay for the privilege... with no say. As someone who, had I lived in the UK, would have voted Remain, I wouldn't be happy with that. Leavers would be even more unhappy.

There was a heavy anti Government anti Tory anti establishment vote Labour in saturation directed through social media.
    Cameron lost and resigned-labour considered it a victory at the time.

Now Labour wants Brexit.
    Corbyn said he voted Remain.
    Unfortunately Comrade Corbyn won't engage.
    He has not got a plan or the skills to deliver Brexit.

A no deal is better than Corbyn.

I think like you I will stick with a modified May deal which incidentally is coming about due to the heavy defeat on her original vote.

Politics changes so much day by day that I have no choice other than to go with feelings at the time.
    A few months ago I would have voted/opted for a 'no deal' first May deal 2nd.

2. YOUR COMMENTS:

3. Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Who is 'us'?
    "Us" refers to anyone reading your comments on this forum... why, is paranoia creeping in?

All I'm trying to do is correct inaccuracies (like saying the BBC apologised) because if innaccuracies are not challenged, people end up thinking they are true (particularly when they see the same inaccuracy from several sources).

Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    The BBC released a statement.
    ... am so glad you are using the correct term now...

... but then you spoiled it by slipping back into the quagmire with the following ...

BBC apologises to Diane Abbott after Labour complains ...
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...s-diane-abbott...

The BBC has apologised to Diane Abbott after Labour made a formal complaint about the “unacceptable” treatment of the shadow home secretary on Question Time last week.

BBC apologises to Diane Abbott after Labour complaint ... - Trendolizer

uk.trendolizer.com/.../bbc-apologises-to-diane-abbott-after-labour-complaint-about-q...

Viewing figures for QT tonight should go up.
    Quoting others making the same mistake (using the word apology instead of statement) doesn't really change the fact the wrong word was used in each case.

... and btw those links (in your post #66) don't work.

4. I thought the statement she made was given in a very condescending manner.

5. Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralAckbar View Post
    "Us" refers to anyone reading your comments on this forum... why, is paranoia creeping in?

All I'm trying to do is correct inaccuracies (like saying the BBC apologised) because if innaccuracies are not challenged, people end up thinking they are true (particularly when they see the same inaccuracy from several sources).

... am so glad you are using the correct term now...

... but then you spoiled it by slipping back into the quagmire with the following ...

Quoting others making the same mistake (using the word apology instead of statement) doesn't really change the fact the wrong word was used in each case.

... and btw those links (in your post #66) don't work.

You mean anyone reading your comments!

You asked for me for links in which it was reported to the BBC apologised remember?
    I also put a link to the response.

Quote Admiral Ackbar.
    "Finally, you once again used the word "apologised" ... can you show us ANYWHERE where the BBC have actually use the phrases "we are sorry for" or "we apologise for" or similar, as all we have from them so far is a statement that says "we should have made it clear" ... that's a statement, not an apology."

Again-Fiona Bruce did not lie as you requoted Salus Populi on.
    The BBC qualified that.

The other complaint from Dianne Abbott is still awaiting a response.
    Whether that will be an apology none of us know.

6. Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    So on what basis did you conclude some polls were left wing and others were right wing but YouGov was non-partisan? (Apart from the fact you were using YouGov to back up your claim that Fiona Bruce was referring specifically to it when she didn't even mention it)
    Salus.p I thought you may find this interesting.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

I am sure it is fair game for a politician to quote a poll which favours
    their party.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    You mean anyone reading your comments!

You asked for me for links in which it was reported to the BBC apologised remember?
    I also put a link to the response.

Quote Admiral Ackbar.
    "Finally, you once again used the word "apologised" ... can you show us ANYWHERE where the BBC have actually use the phrases "we are sorry for" or "we apologise for" or similar, as all we have from them so far is a statement that says "we should have made it clear" ... that's a statement, not an apology."

The BBC qualified that.

The other complaint from Dianne Abbott is still awaiting a response.
    Whether that will be an apology none of us know.
    I'm used to having to trawl back through previous posts to evidence where you've tripped yourself up, but you've handed this one to me on a plate...

If you re-read your quoted post above, specifically the two bits I've highlighted in bold - all you've done is referred back to the infamous BBC statement and then gone on to quote me where I detailed exactly why it was NOT an apology at all! Wow. Epic fail.

Also, to clarify, I have clearly stated in Post 61
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralAckbar View Post
    ... what Salus said (specifically, about Bruce being incorrect saying Labour were behind in the polls).

I don't have a specific axe to grind with Bruce, and although others have used the word "lie" (and their comments have been quoted in some of my responses so I can understand you confusion), I believe I used the word "mistaken" (as in that she was probably badly advised).
    ... I was clearly taking you to task over the "behind in the polls" misinformation bit, so for you to now say directly to me
    The BBC qualified that.
    you are either clearly not quite keeping up or trying to rewrite history (as in what I said or didn't say).

Hope you have a great weekend because you've just made mine!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Fact!
    If a newspaper holds a readership poll it is biased to the general readership of that paper.
    Papers with wide differing political views such as THE SUN and THE GUARDIAN.
    I've never seen a poll that is exclusively restricted n
    to the readership of a newspaper.
    I would expect to find a bias in Trade Union Polls.
    I've been a union member for over 30 years but have never been asked by my union to take part in an opinion poll.
    Did Dianne Abbott specifically mention the polls she was quoting from?
    Can we now conclude that you didn't actually watch the programme? One minute you're convinced that Bruce was saying things she never said and the next you're asking what Abbott said. Basically you tell lies that fit your own agenda.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Normal View Post
    I thought the statement she made was given in a very condescending manner.
    I also thought that. No mention of the alleged incidents before the show was filmed, perhaps that is still under investigation.

I noticed that she let everyone waffle on for far too long last night. Or I thought so, at least. Maybe she felt under pressure to let them speak, rather than interrupt with spurious statements. I suppose the lesson being find out the facts before you speak on national television. There's certainly a lesson for politicians in that.

The chap from LBC was a pompous prick. Every statement ended on an inflection of triumph, whether or not he made sense. I believe he's the man behind 'Topless Darts'. Says it all, really.

I'd like to have heard more from the businessman. The possibilities of Brexit probably have greater clarity when your livelihood depends on it.

Once again, the representatives of the two main parties hardly oozed credibility. Just for a change...

10. Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    I've never seen a poll that is exclusively restricted n
    to the readership of a newspaper.

I've been a union member for over 30 years but have never been asked by my union to take part in an opinion poll.

Can we now conclude that you didn't actually watch the programme? One minute you're convinced that Bruce was saying things she never said and the next you're asking what Abbott said. Basically you tell lies that fit your own agenda.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...l-full-results

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/365948...ant-may-as-pm/

11. Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralAckbar View Post
    I'm used to having to trawl back through previous posts to evidence where you've tripped yourself up, but you've handed this one to me on a plate...

If you re-read your quoted post above, specifically the two bits I've highlighted in bold - all you've done is referred back to the infamous BBC statement and then gone on to quote me where I detailed exactly why it was NOT an apology at all! Wow. Epic fail.

Also, to clarify, I have clearly stated in Post 61 ... I was clearly taking you to task over the "behind in the polls" misinformation bit, so for you to now say directly to me you are either clearly not quite keeping up or trying to rewrite history (as in what I said or didn't say).

Hope you have a great weekend because you've just made mine!
    I have nothing more to add other than that I am waiting for the outcome of Dianne Abbott and the Labour Party's complaint against the BBC.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    I also thought that. No mention of the alleged incidents before the show was filmed, perhaps that is still under investigation.

I noticed that she let everyone waffle on for far too long last night. Or I thought so, at least. Maybe she felt under pressure to let them speak, rather than interrupt with spurious statements. I suppose the lesson being find out the facts before you speak on national television. There's certainly a lesson for politicians in that.

The chap from LBC was a pompous prick. Every statement ended on an inflection of triumph, whether or not he made sense. I believe he's the man behind 'Topless Darts'. Says it all, really.

I'd like to have heard more from the businessman. The possibilities of Brexit probably have greater clarity when your livelihood depends on it.

Once again, the representatives of the two main parties hardly oozed credibility. Just for a change...
    I miss the way the old fellow would intervene with 'one person to talk at a time no one can hear you if all at once'.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    I miss the way the old fellow would intervene with 'one person to talk at a time no one can hear you if all at once'.
    Yes. Early days yet, maybe she'll adopt a certain gravitas down the line.

Unfortunate about the controversy of her second show. Sounds like the new producer (or director, I forget which) might want to curb their determination to be quite so confrontational in a bid to grab ratings. I don't mind a bit of argy-bargy on policies, quite welcome it, in fact. But I think personal slurs should be left out of the pre-show whipping up of the audience.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Salus.p I thought you may find this interesting.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/

I am sure it is fair game for a politician to quote a poll which favours
    their party.
    Sure politicians will quote a poll which favours them, but tell me when did the presenter of QT get to overule anyone based on their own bias.

The presenters job is surely to control the show, intervene if someone is blatantly lying, try to get politicians to actually answer questions, it isn't in any way their position to put anyone down with a lie of their own.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    Yes. Early days yet, maybe she'll adopt a certain gravitas down the line.

Unfortunate about the controversy of her second show. Sounds like the new producer (or director, I forget which) might want to curb their determination to be quite so confrontational in a bid to grab ratings. I don't mind a bit of argy-bargy on policies, quite welcome it, in fact. But I think personal slurs should be left out of the pre-show whipping up of the audience.
    Totally agree.

Did you watch Fiona Bruce's other programme's 'Fake or Fortune' and Antique's Road Show'?
    Her style on both was to bring her own personality and views into the programme which worked well.

Perhaps the style more suited for Question Time is newsreader mode
    to avoid misunderstandings.

16. Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    Sure politicians will quote a poll which favours them, but tell me when did the presenter of QT get to overule anyone based on their own bias.

The presenters job is surely to control the show, intervene if someone is blatantly lying, try to get politicians to actually answer questions, it isn't in any way their position to put anyone down with a lie of their own.
    The YouGov pol did put the Tory's ahead.

Dianne Abbott should have been quite capable of arguing her point on the polls and naming the ones she believed put Labour ahead backing up her facts.
    Did she not know the result of the YouGov Poll?

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations