UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    Wrong! According to the Hallam curve, 250 million years ago the sea level was lower. Vail's (not "Vale") study also shows a drop in sea levels during this period. Bear in mind that if you're going that far back in earth's history, you have to take into account the changes in sea level due to both the formation of continents, and continents breaking away.

It's scientifically accepted that from 3,000 years ago sea levels were generally stable until the onset of the industrial revolution... so PNP's statement is correct.
    That far back in history is when the land was mostly covered in ice, doh! Ice is compacted water! Continents are continually undulating. 3000 years is a tiny percentage of 4.6 billion years ago when Earth is said to have begun. What causes seas to rise? More water. Where does the additional water come from? Rain, which comes from a source of water already present on the planet, or from land ice melt. The ice itself from from water source already on the planet. Water does not just disappear! Tides may rise in one area and deplete in others for various reasons, including the gravitational acceleration of the Earth, undulating land above and below sea levels, orogeny etc., sea ice melts do not have any affect on sea levels - so by taking everything into consideration - of course water levels have remained stable generally since the beginning of time.
    All around the country there is evidence of raised beaches from times when the seas were at a higher level and everywhere there is evidence of sedimentary rocks which prove the raising and lowering of sea levels at various times - local levels of sea water do not reflect the eustatic levels of sea water. Most of these facts do not need science - they are there to see if people just thought about them critically without being blinded by the half truths of global warming. If you still have any doubts, a colleague of mine, Don Easterbrook presents further evidence in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAQR6_B6ZZg
    Last edited by said; 20/04/2019 at 03:28 PM.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    water levels have remained stable generally since the beginning of time......
    there is evidence of raised beaches from times when the seas were at a higher level.....
    So, which is it?

A) 'levels' stable since beginning of time.
    or
    B) Seas were at a higher level.

Oh, and just to confuse matters further. In an earlier post you claimed sealevel was at its lowest ever....

Fact is, most glaciers are melting, thus adding to global sealevel. If everything melted, sealevel would be many, many, (70'?) feet higher....and we'd have sharks swimming down Lord St!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    So, which is it?

As he was responding to my post where I said: "It's scientifically accepted that from 3,000 years ago sea levels were generally stable until the onset of the industrial revolution... so PNP's statement is correct." I assume that during the time it took for him to Google a rebuttal, he forgot what I said! So much Googling must be very disorienting.

or

Oh, and just to confuse matters further. In an earlier post you claimed sealevel was at its lowest ever....
    He did, and I refuted it. According to the source he cited, Anthony Hallam, sea levels were lower 250 million years ago.

Here's an image of the sea level changes as mapped by Hallam & Vail. It should be added that Vail was employed by Exxon to perform the study, and, as the data he used isn't available to the public, the accuracy can't be verified. However, Vail's curve does show rises and drops within the same periods as Hallam's, albeit at different levels.

5. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    As he was responding to my post where I said: [I]"[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][B]It's scientifically accepted that from 3,000 years ago sea levels were generally stable until the onset of the industrial revolution
    From the graph, it appears maximum rise is about 200m. Presumably the planet was completely free of ice during those times, all having melted into the sea.....Imagine how drastically the map of the modern world would be changed, if there were a similar rise on the way - with the poles melting anew due to man-made global warming!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    So, which is it?

or

Fact is, most glaciers are melting, thus adding to global sealevel. If everything melted, sealevel would be many, many, (70'?) feet higher....and we'd have sharks swimming down Lord St!

A. The Eustatic levels of sea water have been stable since the beginning of time. That is overall - a generality.
    B. Local levels of sea water will vary sometimes higher sometimes lower - but overall sea levels remain constant.
    C. Sea levels were lower at various points in time due to the water becoming a compacted form of water - ice.
    D. Glaciers are constantly moving under their own gravity. They flow like slow moving rivers. Glaciers are formed when an accumulation of snow is compressed over many years to form an Ice mass. Snow is formed from iced crystals of water that change once they have reached Earth's surface. The water to create these ice crystals comes from sea water and lakes that are always present on the planet. About 10% of land on Earth has glaciers, they are important to the water cycle. Over the years, glaciers melt and freeze on a regular basis - with 90% of land to be affected by the subsequent slight rise of sea water, it has a hardly noticeable effect.
    In the past 50,000 years there has been 23 global warming events.

Likes / Dislikes
    A) Local levels of sea water will vary sometimes higher sometimes lower - but overall sea levels remain constant.

B) glaciers melt and freeze on a regular basis

A) An impossibility.....All the worlds oceans are connected - chuck an iceberg in and all oceans rise by precisely the same amount.

B) Glaciers only do that when the climate remains stable. Global warming has caused many to melt faster and thus are now in retreat.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    As he was responding to my post where I said: "It's scientifically accepted that from 3,000 years ago sea levels were generally stable until the onset of the industrial revolution... so PNP's statement is correct." I assume that during the time it took for him to Google a rebuttal, he forgot what I said! So much Googling must be very disorienting.

He did, and I refuted it. According to the source he cited, Anthony Hallam, sea levels were lower 250 million years ago.

Here's an image of the sea level changes as mapped by Hallam & Vail. It should be added that Vail was employed by Exxon to perform the study, and, as the data he used isn't available to the public, the accuracy can't be verified. However, Vail's curve does show rises and drops within the same periods as Hallam's, albeit at different levels.

Since the in depth studies of Hallam and Vail - there have been thirty five independent papers written that indicate similar results. I have tried to explain simply how the oceans may geographically rise and fall over periods of time - the issue is far more complicated, gulfs have been formed and water ways evolved into solid land due to variations of the seas. The sea movement is dependent on temperature,salinity and the various depths of the oceans. etc., . Relatively few people have studied the details - a fact that the media rely on to issue misleading information.

Likes / Dislikes
    A) Local levels of sea water will vary sometimes higher sometimes lower - but overall sea levels remain constant.

B) glaciers melt and freeze on a regular basis

A) An impossibility.....All the worlds oceans are connected - chuck an iceberg in and all oceans rise by precisely the same amount.

B) Glaciers only do that when the climate remains stable. Global warming has caused many to melt faster and thus are now in retreat.

Your first assumption is incorrect. Ice bodies comprise of pure water. A block of ice falling into the sea, which happens quite often - will melt due to the heat conductance of the sea water - i.e. the ice will absorb heat from the sea water until it has absorbed sufficient heat to melt. There will now be a cooler volume of water surrounding the ice block as it melts - the colder water will fall below the surface water since it is more dense than warm water. Then you would need an understanding of water masses to be able to understand how water moves in any particular region.
    To understand how sea waters move, you would need to understand the different bodies of water that make up oceans, and have some understanding of the temperature, salinity, chemistry and pressures involved. There are three main independent masses of water which are influenced by the other corresponding masses - Surface, Intermediate and Deep water. For instance the AABW ( Antarctic Bottom Waters)have a temperature of between -0.8 degrees centigrade and 2 degrees C. these are the densest and coldest masses of water, the movement of this water can vary and they contain the highest level of oxygen. As you may be able to understand these waters have a great influence on the other masses of water and according movement. So to state that by chucking in an almighty iceberg into one region of water would create a rise of water overall is a very mistaken conclusion.
    As for an answer to B. There have been 23 global warming incidents in 50,000 years. My ancestors appear to have survived!

Likes / Dislikes
    Since the in depth studies of Hallam and Vail - there have been thirty five independent papers written that indicate similar results. I have tried to explain simply how the oceans may geographically rise and fall over periods of time - the issue is far more complicated, gulfs have been formed and water ways evolved into solid land due to variations of the seas. The sea movement is dependent on temperature,salinity and the various depths of the oceans. etc., . Relatively few people have studied the details - a fact that the media rely on to issue misleading information.
    By 'sea movement' I'm assuming you meant sealevel rise/fall...If so, then yes. Warm any water and it expands, i.e. global warming will cause sealevels to rise - even without taking account of glacial meltwater.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    By 'sea movement' I'm assuming you meant sealevel rise/fall...If so, then yes. Warm any water and it expands, i.e. global warming will cause sealevels to rise - even without taking account of glacial meltwater.
    No! Sea movement relates to the the three masses of water, which depend also on the geographic location of each body of water. One mass of ice thrown in at one location is not merely going to melt and be transported equally across every body of water, and will not create an equal rise in every sea.

The upper mass of water has a higher temperature, yes - this cause the molecules to move faster and if the water molecules heat sufficiently they form a gas that rises into the atmosphere as part of the water cycle. Surface warm water is subject to topical winds that act to either cool or heat it depending on the direction from where it comes from - if warm water is cooled it sinks below the surface level. So no- heat itself does not cause flooding. Recall last summer when 40 degrees Celsius was recorded in the UK for some weeks?

Likes / Dislikes
    No! Sea movement relates to the the three masses of water, which depend also on the geographic location of each body of water. One mass of ice thrown in at one location is not merely going to melt and be transported equally across every body of water, and will not create an equal rise in every sea.
    What three masses? All oceans and (almost) all seas are part of the same single body of water....You can't affect one, without affecting them all by the same amount. Which is why Antarctic glacial meltwater, creates global sealevel rise. I.e. raises the sealevel at a location like ours in Southport.

Btw, heat any water (even in a test tube) and the level will always rise. Works every time - you cannae change the laws of nature!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Errh sorry to interrupt this science fest but

"ice is compacted water" ???? Post 31

that does turn the scientific world on its head.

"Its part of my field and studied in depth" !

Hmm ..................

15. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Errh sorry to interrupt this science fest but

"ice is compacted water" ???? Post 31

that does turn the scientific world on its head.

"Its part of my field and studied in depth" !

Hmm ..................
    A field covered in manure?

Likes / Dislikes
    If you still have any doubts, a colleague of mine, Don Easterbrook presents further evidence in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAQR6_B6ZZg
    How did I miss this beauty? A colleague of yours... so now you're a geologist? Although I've always thought you have rocks in your head, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Next you'll be telling us that you are also affiliated with the Heartland Institute, and, like your colleague Easterbrook, you're often a guest speaker at this dubiously funded think tank. All this flitting to and fro across the Atlantic must be exhausting. Plus gallivanting across Europe for months on end. What a man!

As for Easterbrook, he's often been discredited, a bit like you really. Clicky below.

Don Easterbrook's Heartland Distortion of Reality

The Incorrigible Easterbrook

Likes / Dislikes
    Sound of silence .....?

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations