UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

EU - The Ball is in Your Court

So... at the very least abolish the backstop, and we'll sit down at the negotiating table. The Withdrawal Agreement is dead.

We'll talk when you're ready, any time at the drop of a hat no matter how many thousands of miles away you are.

Otherwise Bye Bye EU on 31 October.

How much simpler can you get? About bloody time too!

The more I hear from Boris the better it gets.

As for the Scots, go your own ways mate, least we won't have to be bothered about you. Don't be coming to us to bail you out when it goes ars* over tit!

Oh, and if you Scots are desperate to rejoin the United Kingdom, you won't be given the chance to have another vote for a thousand years!

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy View Post
    So... at the very least abolish the backstop, and we'll sit down at the negotiating table. The Withdrawal Agreement is dead.

We'll talk when you're ready, any time at the drop of a hat no matter how many thousands of miles away you are.

As for the Scots, go your own ways mate, least we won't have to be bothered about you. Don't be coming to us to bail you out when it goes ars* over tit!

Oh, and if you Scots are desperate to rejoin the United Kingdom, you won't be given the chance to have another vote for a thousand years!
    There will be no backstop - there are several ways in which goods from EU countries can be checked. It is true - a No Deal seems to have been on the cards for a long while amid all the mumblings and grumblings. However - the Scottish issue, is another matter. It is only that Acipenseridae (Acid for short) woman who is stirring the porridge. Scotland is comprised of many insulate groups of people - who do not belong to the SNP - and they do not want to break away from the UK. There are only 5.4 million people in Scotland, almost as many Scottish people that live in the UK. The SNP only has 125,482 members, and got 977.569 votes only, down 13% from last election. In the 2017 election conservatives had 757. 949 votes. Scotland cannot go independent - it does not have the support, and the UK has invested a huge amount of money into North Sea Oil, which technically belongs to Scotland.

Likes / Dislikes

I like Scotland .

The union is only under threat from Sturgeon and her ilk looking to make a power grab, Nicola Queen of Scots.

They had a referendum they lost, hopefully the trend of not accepting democratic votes will end with our exit from the EU on the 31st October.

They look south, see the anti-democracy extremists and are encouraged by them.

The biggest threat to the Union is the second vote mob here.

A Scottish vote is worth the same as an English one because they voted as equal members of the UK.

The anti-democracy scourge is bringing our country and its institutions into disrepute.

Likes / Dislikes
    I like the Scots too, but don't you really get sick and tired of hearing all the moaning and drivel from wee Jimmy Krankie! And that other Remoaner Ian Blackhead errr... ford.

Sometimes you just want to let them go and do their own thing. Then we can concentrate on England and Wales.

And no... you won't be using the bloody pound as your currency or have the Queen as Head of State.

And what about the millions that you'll get from the Oil!! When the price crashed just after you voted to stay last time around. They'd have come crawling back, tails between their legs wanting us to bail them out.

Likes / Dislikes

The problem there is there is no real alternative to the backstop.

The choices are no deal, border in the Irish Sea, which will destroy Johnson's tiny majority as it throws the DUP under the bus. Or a general election.

Ireland is a member state of the EU, and the protection of a member state takes priority over anything the UK can offer.

Regardless of your or my stance, leave, remain, deal, no deal, left, right, it doesn't matter. The EU cannot allow the UK to leave on terms that are as good or better than it would have as a member state.

Whether we are out on our own, with a backstop or not, on WTO terms or not, the EU aren't about to bend to our whims. It wouldn't make any sense at all. It cannot make it better to be out of the EU than in it. That's just common sense.

I hope they do negotiate, but I think our government should prepare to spend billions to prop up industries in the next few years before external trade deals are signed sealed and delivered.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post

The choices are no deal, border in the Irish Sea, which will destroy Johnson's tiny majority as it throws the DUP under the bus. Or a general election.

Ireland is a member state of the EU, and the protection of a member state takes priority over anything the UK can offer.

Regardless of your or my stance, leave, remain, deal, no deal, left, right, it doesn't matter. The EU cannot allow the UK to leave on terms that are as good or better than it would have as a member state.

Whether we are out on our own, with a backstop or not, on WTO terms or not, the EU aren't about to bend to our whims. It wouldn't make any sense at all. It cannot make it better to be out of the EU than in it. That's just common sense.

I hope they do negotiate, but I think our government should prepare to spend billions to prop up industries in the next few years before external trade deals are signed sealed and delivered.
    Wales voted for Brexit and polls favour Tory's.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...s-Boris-bounce

Likes / Dislikes

I keep repeating this - but no-one appears to have taken it on board. So here is the same facts from BBC News - copied and pasted!

Norway is part of the single market through its membership of the European Economic Area (EEA) but it's not in the customs union.
    Being in the single market means Norway respects the EU's four freedoms - the freedom of movement of goods, services, capital and people. But that doesn't get rid of the need for customs checks.
    Even so, Norway's border with Sweden is one of the simplest and most technologically advanced customs borders in the world, and lorries only ever have to stop once. They do not have to repeat the same process on both sides of the border

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Wales voted for Brexit and polls favour Tory's.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...s-Boris-bounce
    Yes, there's always a 'bounce' when a new PM is elected. It even happened with Theresa May.

But what has that got to do with the backstop or the EU?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    I keep repeating this - but no-one appears to have taken it on board. So here is the same facts from BBC News - copied and pasted!

Norway is part of the single market through its membership of the European Economic Area (EEA) but it's not in the customs union.
    Being in the single market means Norway respects the EU's four freedoms - the freedom of movement of goods, services, capital and people. But that doesn't get rid of the need for customs checks.
    Even so, Norway's border with Sweden is one of the simplest and most technologically advanced customs borders in the world, and lorries only ever have to stop once. They do not have to repeat the same process on both sides of the border
    Norway is in Schengen.
    That was part of the EU deal for those poor suckers.

The UK is not.
    Schengen facilitates illegal and modern slavery to the UK borders.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post

Yes, that is no doubt true. But Norway hasn't left the EU. If we have freedom of movement of goods as part of the EEA, we've got to abide by the other rules. Freedom of movement seem to be a sticking point with most Brexiteers. Norway is in the Customs Union. Being in the single market means abiding by EU rules. Leaving with no deal isn't abiding by EU rules.

The Norway model seems to be a decent alternative to full EU membership. But is it the Brexit that leave voters want, or is it a compromise too far?

Likes / Dislikes
    There are much better and clever minds out there that can find a solution to the border problem. As far as I am aware and have heard it's down to technology.

Cannot goods be stopped and checked away from a "border" which doesn't restrict the flow of the general public in cars, buses and rail?

Truck drivers have paperwork that can easily be scanned using a barcode, maybe not even that, information can be read via RF technology as goods pass-through an invisible checkpoint with possible random stops of goods.

If the police can get information very quickly on a vehicle using ANPR, there really does have to be a way to use technology to solve the problem.

We're only talking about from NI to Eire. I'm unsure as to the extent of illegal refugees hiding in trucks, but my best guess that would be of minor significance at that border - more so at Dover.

Still, we've finally got a PM and government who are not going to be walked over by the EU and go cap in hand saying "Yes Sir, No Sir, Three bags full Sir"

Likes / Dislikes
    But Norway hasn't left the EU. Norway is in the Customs Union. Being in the single market means abiding by EU rules. .

The Norway model seems to be a decent alternative to full EU membership.
    Norway and its EEA membership (the Norway model) is often referred to, but how many are aware of what it involves? I doubt those who want Brexit would be happy if they were obliged, like Norway, to adopt EU Directives and Regulations into UK legislation, as Norway, with few exceptions, is obliged to do.
    For those with a genuine interest, the following is well worth spending a few minutes to read, in my honest opinion.

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts...claims-norway/
    Age is simply a matter of mind - age doesn't matter if you don't mind

Likes / Dislikes
    Well worth reading the above but :

Norwegian PM to UK: Why would you want our EU deal?

https://www.politico.eu/article/norw...eu-membership/

Norway the wealthy independent nation has twice rejected membership of the EU.

It is a much smaller nation yet we are often told we are too snall to cope.

They have oil and fish so some similarities to us, they have though managed it better.

Likes / Dislikes
    Norway is rich in natural resources, and is to be lauded for how they have managed them.

As they have a small population, just looking at their total GDP doesn't give you a true picture of their economy. When you look at GDP per capita, they are number 3 on both the IMF and World Bank's 2018 chart. By comparison, on the IMF chart the US is in the 8th position, and the UK is 20th. Canada, which also has a small population, is 18th.

16. Likes steve liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    There are much better and clever minds out there that can find a solution to the border problem. As far as I am aware and have heard it's down to technology.

Cannot goods be stopped and checked away from a "border" which doesn't restrict the flow of the general public in cars, buses and rail?

Truck drivers have paperwork that can easily be scanned using a barcode, maybe not even that, information can be read via RF technology as goods pass-through an invisible checkpoint with possible random stops of goods.

If the police can get information very quickly on a vehicle using ANPR, there really does have to be a way to use technology to solve the problem.

We're only talking about from NI to Eire. I'm unsure as to the extent of illegal refugees hiding in trucks, but my best guess that would be of minor significance at that border - more so at Dover.

Still, we've finally got a PM and government who are not going to be walked over by the EU and go cap in hand saying "Yes Sir, No Sir, Three bags full Sir"
    I believe there are 195 public road border crossings between Northern Ireland and Eire. This is one reason why the technological solution could be so difficult.

1 ... LastLast
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations