A Reviewing Officer from Sefton Council’s Adult Social Care team is celebrating after spending 40 years working for Sefton Council – and plans to continue until her retirement.

Audrey Forkings, 56, began her career with the authority as a carer in July 1979, helping vulnerable adults across Sefton.

She has since progressed to work as a Home Care Supervisor and on to her current role as Reviewing Officer with Sefton’s Adult Social Care team, providing help and support to people in the borough when they need it.

Her long career has seen her support individuals and families in the borough through difficult times and crises, and she has twice been nominated for a Sefton Council ‘STAR Award’ – awarded to employees who go the extra mile and achieve exceptional results in their roles.

Looking back on her 40 years Audrey, who has lived in Southport for most of her life and has three children aged 12, 16 and 22, says she feels “proud” to still be working in a job that makes a difference to peoples’ lives.
She said: “I am so lucky to be able to say I still love my job after all these years. Being able to help people going through tough times is a real privilege and never stops being rewarding.

“My job is so diverse and every day brings a new challenge and opportunity. I still go in to work each day looking forward to what the day will bring.

“I work with an amazing team and over the years I have worked with so many lovely colleagues who I now class as great friends.

“A career highlight was when my team and I were twice nominated for a STAR Award, which we won at last year’s event. It was a wonderful moment for us all, and we all felt very honoured.

“I still plan to stay in my role for many years yet and I look forward to what the future holds. I don’t have a set date in mind for retirement yet, but when I do I’ll look back on a job that’s made me feel very happy and fulfilled. I’m proud to have helped make a difference.”

Jerry O’Sullivan, Project Manager for Adult Social Care at Sefton Council and Audrey’s manager, says Audrey is a “great asset” to the team and continues to go the extra mile.

He said: “Audrey is a joy to work alongside. Not only is she conscientious and hard-working, she is also a brilliant practitioner who delivers everything with a smile.

“Even in very difficult situations, her warmth and understanding helps service users, their carers and families achieve the very best outcomes and she is regularly complemented for her compassion and support.

“She is a great asset to the team and she still goes the extra mile and gives 100%, even after 40 years. Her length of service, commitment, hard-work and dedication are all things she should be incredibly proud of. It’s a fantastic achievement.”

Deborah Butcher, Interim Director of Adult Social Care at Sefton Council, said: “We are incredibly lucky in Sefton to have such dedicated staff across all of our teams. Audrey is a great advocate for vulnerable people and their families in Sefton.”