UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    'Off on a tangent' you mean!
    There's a more obvious reply than that .

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Care to have another go? .

Likes / Dislikes
    You asked? This is not going to be easy - I have not figured out the new software I am using to accept drawings - so, I will try explaining. I don't know how much you know, so I will cover everything regarding Pythagoras and the Right Angled Triangle.

If you have a line of say - 2 (cms, metres, miles, feet whatever units you are working with) then square it. 2 squared = 4, what you have done by squaring a line is that you have made a perfect square shape with every side the same size, 2. We will use metres for now. So every side of that square is two metres long. The area of that square is Length x Width = 2m x 2m = 4 square metres.

Whatever length you choose to use, by squaring it, y0u will have the same result. A line 3m long, when squared will have a square with sides of 3m long each side, and 3 squared is 9 square metres - which is also the area of the square.

If we look at a square, and if we cut it in half diagonally, we will have two right angled triangles. A right angled triangle has one 90 degree angle between the vertical and the horizontal pieces. The longest side of that triangle is called the hypoteneuse and this long side is ALWAYS opposite the 90 degree join on the triangle.

Pythagoras' Theorem is - by taking the long side of the triangle and forming that into a perfect square. Then take the smallest side of the triangle and make that into a perfect square, and also do the same for the other side of the triangle. You will find that by measuring each square - that the area of the two smaller squares added together is EXACTLY the same area of the larger square. You don't have to do anything with that - but just bear it in mind.

On a piece of paper, draw the sort of triangle you would get if you cut a square shape horizontally in half. A Right Angled triangle. Label the long side of this triangle as 'A', and the medium side as 'B' and the smallest side as 'C'. Now going by Pythagoras, where the square on the smaller sides of the triangle is equal to the square on the larger side, we now have side B squared + Side C squared = Side A squared.
    To show we are squaring a number, use a small '2' near the top right of each letter: B^2 + C^2 = A^2.

Right you are standing on the beach at sea level. Below your feet, many kilometres down - is the centre of the Earth. For these calculations we will assume that the earth forms a true circle. The distance across the centre of any circle is its DIAMETER. The distance from the centre to any point on the edge of the circle is its RADIUS. You are standing on the beach (#Anywhere on the surface of Earth is on the edge of its circle) - the distance to the centre of the Earth from where you stand is its RADIUS. The Radius of the Earth is found on the internet and given as 6371km. There are 1000 metres in a kilometre - so in metres the Radius of the Earth would be 6371000 metres.

You can imagine a line from your feet to the centre of the Earth, and another line of your sight towards the horizon, and a third line from the object in your sight back to the centre of the Earth. These lines form a right angled triangle.

You are standing on the hypoteneuse of that triangle, because it is opposite the right angle formed from your sight line to the object of sight to the centre of Earth and it is also the longest side because the length of this line is the radius of Earth added to your height, or the height at which you choose to be. The lien of your sight to the horizon is distance 'd' and the other line to the centre of the Earth, its Radius we will call 'R'. So by Pythagoras, we have that d^2 + R^2 = (R + h)^2

If you have followed that very long winded explanation you have done well - we can now find the length of the side of this triangle that corresponds to you sight line, which is line 'd'.

(R + h)^2 can be expanded to the form R^2 + 2 Rh + h^2. This gives the formula above as

R^2 + 2Rh + h^2 = d^2 + R^2 The R^2 on each side cancel out.

So we have:

2 Rh + h^2 = d^2 In comparison to the other values in the calculation, h^2 is so very small, it is neglible, so we will drop that term.

We now have:
    d^2 = 2Rh^2

and d = sq.rt. 2Rh Where 'h' is your height, either on the beach or if you choose at an elevation, and R is the radius of the Earth.

If you do that - I can show you how to find the depth at which you can see part of your object. Though you probably know now.
    My brain hurts.

Thank you very much for that, Said. It must have taken you a while to compose. I have printed it off on to paper so I can study it properly as my eyes being to strain when I'm concentrating on a screen .

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieChap View Post
    My brain hurts.

Thank you very much for that, Said. It must have taken you a while to compose. I have printed it off on to paper so I can study it properly as my eyes being to strain when I'm concentrating on a screen .

That is OK - hopefully you will be able to follow the steps, if you do manage to put your measurements into the formula, you should get a good result - any problems, send me a PM.

As you have realised, the higher you stand the greater distance you can see to the horizon. Climate conditions also affect the distance that the horizon appears to be at.

6. Likes TownieChap liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Region View Post
    Care to have another go? .

I know exactly what a tangent is, if you mean mathematically - but there was no need to use that in this formula. There are several formulas that can be used, including those that involve refraction with temperature gradients etc., but for general purposes this formula suits.

Likes / Dislikes
    I know exactly what a tangent is, if you mean mathematically - but there was no need to use that in this formula. There are several formulas that can be used, including those that involve refraction with temperature gradients etc., but for general purposes this formula suits.
    Actually, your line of sight 'd' in this formula IS a tangent to the earth.

9. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snig's foot View Post
    Actually, your line of sight 'd' in this formula IS a tangent to the earth.

Obviously you have never done teaching. Working with the tangent from line of sight to the horizon, involves either working with the secant/tangent formula and vectors or working with algebra and a knowledge of the various forms of differentiation. Would you find that easier?

Likes / Dislikes
    Obviously you have never done teaching. Working with the tangent from line of sight to the horizon, involves either working with the secant/tangent formula and vectors or working with algebra and a knowledge of the various forms of differentiation. Would you find that easier?
    yes please.

Name:  MJpopcorn.gif
Views: 0
Size:  307.7 KB
    "May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Firefly (TV Series)

12. Likes Snig's foot liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralAckbar View Post
    yes please.

Name:  MJpopcorn.gif
Views: 0
Size:  307.7 KB
    It's just marvellous, isn't it? .

I'm also hoping to see instructions provided on how to estimate the depth of a very deep hole.

14. Likes Snig's foot liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

I'm also hoping to see instructions provided on how to estimate the depth of a very deep hole.
    This guys got it covered

16. Likes TownieChap, said liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Providing you have the volume of earth taken from the hole - it is easy.

From Pi x radius of the hole squared x height, we get the height as volume of earth removed in cms cubed, divided by Pi x radius squared.

Likes / Dislikes

I'm still busy trying to "draw the sort of triangle you would get if you cut a square shape horizontally in half. A Right Angled triangle ". So far I've only been able to draw a rectangle. What am I doing wrong? Does it involve the "hypoteneuse" (sic) ?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieChap View Post
    My brain hurts.

I have just had it pointed out that I have stated "cutting a square in half horizontally" When this should have obviously read "cutting a square diagonally" To give a triangular shape. Some people get really excited in being able to point out the obvious.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    I'm still busy trying to "draw the sort of triangle you would get if you cut a square shape horizontally in half. A Right Angled triangle ". So far I've only been able to draw a rectangle. What am I doing wrong? Does it involve the "hypoteneuse" (sic) ?

Did it not occur to you that this may have been an error? It is obvious that you do not get a triangular shape if you halve a square horizontally. I think most people would have realisedthat it should have read diagonally(erata corrige)

Likes / Dislikes
    Did it not occur to you that this may have been an error? It is obvious that you do not get a triangular shape if you halve a square horizontally. I think most people would have realisedthat it should have read diagonally(erata corrige)
    Of course I realised that it was an error. If you read over your post before submitting it, you would have spotted it too!

You'd better add "hypoteneuse" to your errata... and "erata" too!

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations