UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Manchester has much more to offer than Liverpool and it would take much longer than a weekend to visit everywhere.Walks along the canal, John Rylands Library in Salford, along the same road is the Science Museum with aircraft, helicopters and motorbikes etc., The Sky Bar in the Hilton, also along the same road, Granada TV studios, Salford, Manchester Art Galleries, Whitworth Art Gallery, Museum of Lace an Textiles, The University Museum, The Curry Mile, Two large parks off Oxford Road, Manchester Ship Canal, as well as many clubs, bars and restaurants. Manchester has more musical diversity from pop, rock, electronic, classical, folk and jazz and it is home to World renowned music schools RNCM and Cheethams. Buses run every minute and there is an excellent tram service. More shops are opening up in Manchester than the number closing down. There is less unemployment in Manchester , it has more World Heritage landmarks and Sporting Arenas and less corruption.

Liverpool still dwells on the Beatles, which really has had its day - Liverpool has two cathedrals, Albert Docks, Maritime Museum with its fair share of EU propaganda, The old Museum, China Town, The Liver Buildings, Tate Art Gallery, St. Georges Hall and the Mersey Ferry. The renovations in the city have tried sadly to imitate Manchester - with massive buildings blocking sunlight to the city and designed to make it a playground for hooligans and drunks and trap air pollution. The massive wealth of historic buildings that would have been a huge tourist attraction have been demolished to make way for ugly concrete buildings. For years scaffolding has been evident of unfinished projects in the heart of the city, and parking in the town is a nightmare, with availability where it is being very expensive. The extension of the docks will bring more people into Liverpool - but will create far more pollution in the city. At present, there are more businesses closing down than opening up in Liverpool.

Liverpool really should not try to imitate the much larger city of Manchester - it should have retained its own individual character - the need for personal fame blinded common sense. It was a magnificent city once - all it does now is send out the wrong signals to the wrong people.
    I know Manchester far better than Liverpool my brother lives there.

The Metrolink is a brilliant service, there a night buses running out of the city centre throughout the night.

Not wanting to be picky, Salford is a city in it's own right

2. Likes TownieChap liked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post
    I know Manchester far better than Liverpool my brother lives there.

The Metrolink is a brilliant service, there a night buses running out of the city centre throughout the night.

Not wanting to be picky, Salford is a city in it's own right
    Yes, I know that - but since it is right on the doorstep of Manchester many people go to both on a night out. After all, Manchester itself is a sprawling city.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    That puts a hard border between the North & South and a border down the Irish Sea.
    Is that possible?

Likes / Dislikes
    We've been sold that is Liverpool is now a popular holiday hotspot.

Been on Teletext all evening and we've managed to book two, one week holidays.

The 1st week we'll be in a private villa just of Scotland Road and the 2nd week we'll be spending our time in another private villa just of Upper Parliament Street.

#Excited.

Having our inoculations on Monday.

Likes / Dislikes
    Not good though if it is just a springboard to other areas, is it?
    My OP on this subject was based on a report on ITV last week . Is that good enough for your ego .
    Why is it that you can never make positive comment
    , you do seem to enjoy posting negative posts . As realised by numerous other members of the forum .
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

Likes / Dislikes
    * Said - Liverpool still dwells on the Beatles, which really has had its day - Liverpool has two cathedrals, Albert Docks, Maritime Museum with its fair share of EU propaganda, The old Museum, China Town, The Liver Buildings, Tate Art Gallery, St. Georges Hall and the Mersey Ferry. The renovations in the city have tried sadly to imitate Manchester.

Said -
    Liverpool really should not try to imitate the much larger city of Manchester - it should have retained its own individual character - the need for personal fame blinded common sense. It was a magnificent city once - all it does now is send out the wrong signals to the wrong people.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now then, you will not often find me disagreeing with our very knowledgeable friend, Said, but when it comes to the above points, hold the press!

* Imagine if you will that Liverpool City Council Planning and Development departments all sat down together and made a decision that Liverpool needs to look like Manchester. That has never happened.

To which parts of Liverpool are you referring to when you say that Liverpool have tried to imitate Manchester?. I am a very regular visiter to both cities and they both strike me as completely different in urban appearance. Manchester has it's old inner-city industrial buildings, many old (and new) bridges that criss-cross the different rivers, the roman ruins of Deansgate certainly are not imitated in Liverpool. Liverpool also does not have a tram service, although arguably it should. All that said, I can only assume that the imitation you are referring to is regarding the new builds, the Beetham tower perhaps, which was admittedly design by the same architect as Liverpool's Atlantic tower but is really very different in appearance. I look forward to your reply on this.

** Liverpool should have retained it's own character? I will put this simply. Can you name me another UK city that has more character than Liverpool?

9. Likes Alikado, seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieChap View Post
    * Said - Liverpool still dwells on the Beatles, which really has had its day - Liverpool has two cathedrals, Albert Docks, Maritime Museum with its fair share of EU propaganda, The old Museum, China Town, The Liver Buildings, Tate Art Gallery, St. Georges Hall and the Mersey Ferry. The renovations in the city have tried sadly to imitate Manchester

Great post .
    Said -

Now then, you will not often find me disagreeing with our very knowledgeable friend, Said, but when it comes to the above points, hold the press!

* Imagine if you will that Liverpool City Council Planning and Development departments all sat down together and made a decision that Liverpool needs to look like Manchester. That has never happened.

To which parts of Liverpool are you referring to when you say that Liverpool have tried to imitate Manchester?. I am a very regular visiter to both cities and they both strike me as completely different in urban appearance. Manchester has it's old inner-city industrial buildings, many old (and new) bridges that criss-cross the different rivers, the roman ruins of Deansgate certainly are not imitated in Liverpool. Liverpool also does not have a tram service, although arguably it should. All that said, I can only assume that the imitation you are referring to is regarding the new builds, the Beetham tower perhaps, which was admittedly design by the same architect as Liverpool's Atlantic tower but is really very different in appearance. I look forward to your reply on this.

** Liverpool should have retained it's own character? I will put this simply. Can you name me another UK city that has more character than Liverpool?
    Great post .
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

11. Likes TownieChap liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    We live part of our time in Southport and part on the Isle of Wight.

We participate in a lot of stuff from Southport, through the U3a, which demonstrates regularly how much there is to see and do. Far, far more than just The Beatles.

As a consequence of our lifestyle we meet a lot of people beyond the city who love it.

Not a destination for a week or two-week holiday, but a superb weekend/long weekend destination.

13. Likes seivad, TownieChap liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxi Driver View Post
    We've been sold that is Liverpool is now a popular holiday hotspot.

Been on Teletext all evening and we've managed to book two, one week holidays.

The 1st week we'll be in a private villa just of Scotland Road and the 2nd week we'll be spending our time in another private villa just of Upper Parliament Street.

#Excited.

Having our inoculations on Monday.

Ha!Ha! and you will go to confession on Sunday,?Yes?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    We live part of our time in Southport and part on the Isle of Wight.

We participate in a lot of stuff from Southport, through the U3a, which demonstrates regularly how much there is to see and do. Far, far more than just The Beatles.

As a consequence of our lifestyle we meet a lot of people beyond the city who love it.

Not a destination for a week or two-week holiday, but a superb weekend/long weekend destination.

There is absolutely no doubt about it! You will most certainly gain a very enlightening education from Liverpool! and yes - outside the city there are many people who enjoy close community life.

There is a lot of History linked to Liverpool - but tourists are only given the tiniest hint of it. Now that would take much longer to get to see everything as there are many nearby towns involved.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieChap View Post
    * Said - Liverpool still dwells on the Beatles, which really has had its day - Liverpool has two cathedrals, Albert Docks, Maritime Museum with its fair share of EU propaganda, The old Museum, China Town, The Liver Buildings, Tate Art Gallery, St. Georges Hall and the Mersey Ferry. The renovations in the city have tried sadly to imitate Manchester.

Said -

Jump to search

Manchester

Locations of the cities

"The Liverpool–Manchester rivalry is a rivalry that exists between the English cities of Manchester and Liverpool. The cities have many similarities and differences, which have intensified the rivalry, and both lie at the heart of North West England — the most populated region outside of the Greater London area in the United Kingdom.[1]
    The rivalry is generally agreed to have ignited after the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal. Manchester merchants became disenchanted with the level of dues they had to pay to export and import their goods. Consequently the Mancunian merchants decided to construct a ship canal. The Ship Canal would become the largest in the world upon opening in January 1894 and highlighted the length the merchants were prepared to take to avoid paying dues" Wikipedia

York! Without a doubt! Then perhaps Glasgow.

Liverpool once had some of the most iconic historical buildings outside of London - instead of renovating and maintaining those to create a unique city of historic beauty, the city officials decided to mimic most of the other modernised cities in the UK. Why would tourists want to visit yet another City that looks just like any other? Manchester has managed to combine its history with modernisation, possible because Manchester is much larger than Liverpool - but its huge chain stores are becoming very dated yet Liverpool leaders were completely oblivious to market trends, imitating some of the massive Manchester stores and it has cost it dearly.

You say you visit both often - then you cannot fail to have seen the number of shops closing in Liverpool 1, the lack of tourists to the area. Even Albert Dock has been referred to as being dated and dismal:
    "
    Liverpool’s iconic Albert Dock has now “fallen behind its neighbours” after spearheading the city’s late 20th century rejuvenation, according to a major study by the University of Liverpool’s Heseltine Institute for Public Policy and Practice." Liverpool University.
    You would have seen the increased popularity of the Baltic Triangle area, away from the modernised areas, Islington too.

The best thing about Liverpool is when you are travelling out of it!

17. Dislikes TownieChap disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Jump to search

Manchester

Locations of the cities

"The Liverpool–Manchester rivalry is a rivalry that exists between the English cities of Manchester and Liverpool. The cities have many similarities and differences, which have intensified the rivalry, and both lie at the heart of North West England — the most populated region outside of the Greater London area in the United Kingdom.[1]
    The rivalry is generally agreed to have ignited after the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal. Manchester merchants became disenchanted with the level of dues they had to pay to export and import their goods. Consequently the Mancunian merchants decided to construct a ship canal. The Ship Canal would become the largest in the world upon opening in January 1894 and highlighted the length the merchants were prepared to take to avoid paying dues" Wikipedia

York! Without a doubt! Then perhaps Glasgow.

Liverpool once had some of the most iconic historical buildings outside of London - instead of renovating and maintaining those to create a unique city of historic beauty, the city officials decided to mimic most of the other modernised cities in the UK. Why would tourists want to visit yet another City that looks just like any other? Manchester has managed to combine its history with modernisation, possible because Manchester is much larger than Liverpool - but its huge chain stores are becoming very dated yet Liverpool leaders were completely oblivious to market trends, imitating some of the massive Manchester stores and it has cost it dearly.

You say you visit both often - then you cannot fail to have seen the number of shops closing in Liverpool 1, the lack of tourists to the area. Even Albert Dock has been referred to as being dated and dismal:
    "
    Liverpool’s iconic Albert Dock has now “fallen behind its neighbours” after spearheading the city’s late 20th century rejuvenation, according to a major study by the University of Liverpool’s Heseltine Institute for Public Policy and Practice." Liverpool University.
    You would have seen the increased popularity of the Baltic Triangle area, away from the modernised areas, Islington too.

The best thing about Liverpool is when you are travelling out of it!

You make a pedantic case, but it falls blind on those that love Liverpool. I would suggest caution when down-talking Liverpool.
    Last edited by TownieChap; 28/08/2019 at 01:23 AM.

19. Likes admin liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    My OP on this subject was based on a report on ITV last week . Is that good enough for your ego .
    Why is it that you can never make positive comment
    , you do seem to enjoy posting negative posts . As realised by numerous other members of the forum .

Just what would be the point of agreeing with everyone? I merely suggest an alternative line of thought, is all. I also post positive comments - but for you to acknowledge that, it would short circuit your argument. For the second time this week, you give the impression that you are an advocate for a large number of other posters. Cough!cough!

Likes / Dislikes
    Liverpool has a thriving port ! Liverpool now has "ship to shore cranes" for the first time. There is also the growth of the cruise liner business which continues to grow. Liverpool F.C have won more individual European Cups than any other team.

Manchester Docks closed in 1982

Manchester has a Canal and so does Liverpool !

Likes / Dislikes
    my polish inlaws came to stay with us last summer..we did a tour of liverpool...i have to say they were very underwhelmed...i was a bit ashamed of the dirty streets builings and people...you visit poland and its all mint and very well organised....they declined to come back this summer!

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations