UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

1. Published on: 07/09/2019 04:18 PMReported by: roving-eye
    Sad times for Southport Air Show as crowds stay away.

The planes may have been in the sky but the "Air Show Village" was non existent apart from a Chinook and a couple of flight simulators. Large empty spaces along the Marine Drive and the area next to the Ocean Plaza where Military Displays used to be in years gone by.

A beach full of fast food vans and toilets made for a depressing sight.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

Your Comments:

3. salus.populi says:07/09/2019 04:54 PM
    I presume these pictures are from last night not today?

4. Dislikes toothache disliked this post
  5. roving-eye says:07/09/2019 05:00 PM
    The top one is from today

6. salus.populi says:07/09/2019 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roving-eye View Post
    Most of the crowds were on the sea wall and the beach not strolling down the road.

7. Likes N/A, donkey22 liked this post
  8. silverladyuk says:07/09/2019 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roving-eye View Post
    Not quite sure what time you took those pics, but it was jammed solid by 12 noon, and stayed that way until after the end !!!

9. Likes N/A, donkey22 liked this post
  10. Mymumsaysimcool says:07/09/2019 07:07 PM
    doom-monger.

11. Theatrics says:08/09/2019 08:25 AM
    "Sad times for Southport Air Show as crowds stay away."

I agree, I live in a street which connects Lord St to the Promenade, a few years ago I had to go out early to shop etc before the traffic build up as late morning it would be at a standstill, now I don't bother as its just like a normal weekend. The Red Arrows were always the main attraction, add to that this years appearance of the RAF Tucano will be its final farewell so it doesn't leave much. Its not a case of doom-mongering, its past its sell by date and should be ended.

12. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22, N/A disliked this post
  13. said says:08/09/2019 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatrics View Post
    "Sad times for Southport Air Show as crowds stay away."

I agree, I live in a street which connects Lord St to the Promenade, a few years ago I had to go out early to shop etc before the traffic build up as late morning it would be at a standstill, now I don't bother as its just like a normal weekend. The Red Arrows were always the main attraction, add to that this years appearance of the RAF Tucano will be its final farewell so it doesn't leave much. Its not a case of doom-mongering, its past its sell by date and should be ended.
    At its height (excuse pun!) , spectators numbered in excess of 200,000, that was when the air show was free. The numbers in 2017 were 60,000. In around 2005, the council charged £20-£25 for parking - but have now reduced this considerably to £6 per car. The events of the air show have also reduced. The spectacular commercial air liner only featured once over the years, the Red Arrows appear now and again, the Spitfire, Hurricane and the Lancaster have now been retired from the Southport Air show.

Understandably, funding is a major problem - but if the council were more active in seeking sponsorship from various sources such as Warton Air Base, John Lennon Airport, a couple of the larger Air Line companies, local businesses etc., and if the stall holders attending the show contributed - the show could be made to be far more spectacular with low spectator costs. In fact there are several public attractions that could be organised to raise funds for the local town, and would be - if Southport people could be assured the money raised would be spent on the town.

14. Likes Darkside liked this post
  15. Alikado says:08/09/2019 01:58 PM
    Northern Fail cancelled 9 services to and from the town on Saturday, so how do you expect to be able to attract visitors to the town, if they get here they may not be able to get home, they will remember and never return.
    And another 4 on Sunday.
    Last edited by Alikado; 09/09/2019 at 11:55 AM.

16. Likes donkey22, Darkside liked this post
  17. salus.populi says:08/09/2019 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    At its height (excuse pun!) , spectators numbered in excess of 200,000, that was when the air show was free. The numbers in 2017 were 60,000.
    When it was free then the attendance could only have been an estimate and would include everyone who came to the town whereas more recent attendance figures would only be based on ticket sales and would not include those who came to watch if for free but still spent money in the town.

if the stall holders attending the show contributed
    They do, but they're unlikely to be happy about paying more and reducing any profit they make.

In fact there are several public attractions that could be organised to raise funds for the local town, and would be - if Southport people could be assured the money raised would be spent on the town.
    What are these attractions? Who is holding back from organising them because they want assurances on how the profits are spent?

Should the profits from the Strand be ring-fenced to be spent in Bootle?

18. local says:09/09/2019 07:17 AM
    Traffic wise it does seem quieter.

Perhaps we need some aerial photos they must exist.

19. Orb88 says:09/09/2019 04:39 PM
    Apparently the council are reporting that the airshow this year was a roaring success, which is great. However I'm not so sure. As I remember years ago on airshow days not being able to get out onto the Formby bypass due to the HUGE amounts of traffic headed into Southport. Once you got onto the bypass you'd be sat in queues for ages. And then later in the day the traffic returning was just as bad if not worse. There were jams everywhere. In recent years though the Airshow traffic makes seemingly no difference to the bypass traffic etc at all.

20. Likes local liked this post
  21. Knot wright says:09/09/2019 08:52 PM
    not just the air show but generally traffic this year has been a lot quieter on the by pass , I can only assume people have had a basin full of being ripped off or herded into overpriced car parks and decided to go else where .
    I have also decided to give a big swerve to places that milk the car driving masses ...

22. Likes SteveandLois, steve liked this post
  23. said says:11/09/2019 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    When it was free then the attendance could only have been an estimate and would include everyone who came to the town whereas more recent attendance figures would only be based on ticket sales and would not include those who came to watch if for free but still spent money in the town.

They do, but they're unlikely to be happy about paying more and reducing any profit they make.

What are these attractions? Who is holding back from organising them because they want assurances on how the profits are spent?

Should the profits from the Strand be ring-fenced to be spent in Bootle?

Mmmh! Blackpool's audience estimates for their free show appear to be a lot higher and would also have included the numbers into town.

Well - put another way. I live not far from where the venue was held. I did not go as I can see most from my house. In the past, the Air Show meant our streets - no parking charges - was absolutely full! No change to a normal day for the past couple of years.

Nope! You can save the profits from the Strand to purchase a sign post showing directions to Southport!

24. jamyramy says:11/09/2019 09:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Mmmh! Blackpool's audience estimates for their free show appear to be a lot higher and would also have included the numbers into town.

Well - put another way. I live not far from where the venue was held. I did not go as I can see most from my house. In the past, the Air Show meant our streets - no parking charges - was absolutely full! No change to a normal day for the past couple of years.

Nope! You can save the profits from the Strand to purchase a sign post showing directions to Southport!
    very quiete this year.douglas raf made a brave frequent tour over the area! we wouldn't win b of b from this years show.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations