UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast

Thread: Southport Beach

Likes / Dislikes

Southport Beach

Southport Beach has been ignored for far too long. It is now thick with lethal mud and encroaching grass. It stinks, it is filthy! If you watched children in the summer attempting to build a sand castle - they were putting dollops of black filthy slime in their buckets.

Without our beach - Southport is nothing! Yet a well cared for clean sea front would be rewarded with thousands of visitors and holiday makers. An investment now would be amply rewarded.

Many years ago - a seaside resort in Essex underwent a similar decline to that of Southport now. The council of that town, foresaw the town as a commuter area only, that would serve the City of London. The beaches were filthy, cheap corrugated sea front shops began to rust and look unsightly, people lost a pride in the town and it became dirty, full of litter and a centre for all types of crime. But visitors coming into London wanted to see a sea side resort, the kind that Britain is famous for. Eventually the penny dropped and the council began looking for sponsors and investors for the town. Just a couple of years later - that town was thriving. You would be hard pressed to find a parking place at any time of the day at any price. The whole town kept its traditional facades, cleaned up the beaches, dismantled the ramshackle sea front shops and built clean, classic buildings instead. It is a really beautiful area to visit.

Southport could do the same. Although there have been alterations to the depth of the Mersey, causing stronger tides to our beach - there could be tons of sand compacted onto the sea front with some rocks strategically placed to with stand the strongest waves and to form pools. By investing in our beach it would bring huge benefits - filling the empty shops, and creating more jobs in the area.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    Southport Beach has been ignored for far too long. It is now thick with lethal mud and encroaching grass. It stinks, it is filthy! If you watched children in the summer attempting to build a sand castle - they were putting dollops of black filthy slime in their buckets.

Without our beach - Southport is nothing! Yet a well cared for clean sea front would be rewarded with thousands of visitors and holiday makers. An investment now would be amply rewarded.

Many years ago - a seaside resort in Essex underwent a similar decline to that of Southport now. The council of that town, foresaw the town as a commuter area only, that would serve the City of London. The beaches were filthy, cheap corrugated sea front shops began to rust and look unsightly, people lost a pride in the town and it became dirty, full of litter and a centre for all types of crime. But visitors coming into London wanted to see a sea side resort, the kind that Britain is famous for. Eventually the penny dropped and the council began looking for sponsors and investors for the town. Just a couple of years later - that town was thriving. You would be hard pressed to find a parking place at any time of the day at any price. The whole town kept its traditional facades, cleaned up the beaches, dismantled the ramshackle sea front shops and built clean, classic buildings instead. It is a really beautiful area to visit.

Southport could do the same. Although there have been alterations to the depth of the Mersey, causing stronger tides to our beach - there could be tons of sand compacted onto the sea front with some rocks strategically placed to with stand the strongest waves and to form pools. By investing in our beach it would bring huge benefits - filling the empty shops, and creating more jobs in the area.
    Pray tell what the beach has to do with business in the town .
    REST IN PEACE THE 96.
    Y.N.W.A.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    I reckon that's part of the problem, it feels like the beach has nothing to do with anything, really. North of the pier is a mess. A real mess. Little apart from mud and grass. Bit of car parking for the evening drivers with certain predilections that end, but not much else after the pub.

South of the pier is better as far as the sand is concerned. On a few hot weekends in the summer it's packed. But it's kind of like Ocean Plaza would prefer not to be associated with the beach, thank you very much. Just the back of it with solitary toilet facilities and little else. Not an open vista of the sea, integrating the sea front with the shops. More like you'd expect a back alley where there's actually a beach.

I'm not explaining myself well, I know. Just that our beach isn't a bucket and spade type of place with little cafes and shops where you can grab some ice creams and a pot of tea for granny. Despite the fact there's an entire 'plaza' of eateries. I suppose it's a vicious circle of not having enough visitors to support traditional sea front facilities, so there are no traditional sea front facilities to attract more visitors. A beach side cafe. Improved toilet facilities. Better access to the beach for wheelchair users, etc.

They do come up with grand plans now and again, but little ever happens. Maybe it's the distance. Seems to be the beach has little to do with the town, and vice versa.

5. Likes TownieChap liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    If you want a thriving bustling Seafront just build one a couple of miles out then build another in another 50 or 60 years. The coast at Formby is eroding and North of the Pier is depositing, Time & Tide stand still for no one.

7. Likes Ceam liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Nature will have it’s way

Likes / Dislikes
    The beach is still there, underneath Ocean Plaza.

I've had this old photo in my collection for about 20 years. I can't remember what year it was taken, probably the 60s. It was posted by an old chat mate on the very first Southport chat room on the internet, about 1998 I think.

10. Likes bigdavesdad, said liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    The beach is still there, underneath Ocean Plaza.

I've had this old photo in my collection for about 20 years. I can't remember what year it was taken, probably the 60s. It was posted by an old chat mate on the very first Southport chat room on the internet, about 1998 I think.
    Looks early 60's, the beach is now further out and still just as good.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kritou View Post
    Nature will have it’s way
    It will - but nature evolves gracefully, in its own time! The changes to Southport beach have occurred in a relatively short space of time - indicating that the changes have more to do with man's interference than nature.

I was under the impression that we did have a committee who managed the coastlines in the North West. But the changes to our beach have occurred after the Mersey was made deeper and the dredging in the Ribble was halted. There was some natural growing marram grass and some that was planted to anchor the sand dunes - but this has now taken over.

Likes / Dislikes
    It will - but nature evolves gracefully, in its own time! The changes to Southport beach have occurred in a relatively short space of time - indicating that the changes have more to do with man's interference than nature.

I was under the impression that we did have a committee who managed the coastlines in the North West. But the changes to our beach have occurred after the Mersey was made deeper and the dredging in the Ribble was halted. There was some natural growing marram grass and some that was planted to anchor the sand dunes - but this has now taken over.
    It hasn't occurred that quickly, 100 years ago or so The Promanade was The Promanade, the sea came right up to the railings of the Northern part of the Marine Lake, The bank that runs at the back of Stanley High School was at one time part of the sea defences, The Fog Bell on Marshside Rd was on the beach as were a number of the Cottages and there was a Dock in Churchtown village.
    The Council for a number of years tried to stem the march of the marshes by raking the shore between tides.

Likes / Dislikes
    Today along with my good lady we took the train to Freshfield and walked back along the beach to Ainsdale. Awesome sandy beach ,tide was in, so sea on one side sandunes on the other. Very few people once you'd left the pine woods area, it was a lovely walk.Our beach will not get any better,nature will take care of that but could we not promote the wonderful three mile long stretch of Beach a short distance away. Some sort of transport could take people along the sand with various stops along the way. This could surely help Southport if people could stay here and enjoy what the town has to offer along with the option of a superb long vast sandy beach a short ride away.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
    I’ve got to say, that thought crossed my mind as well.

Likes / Dislikes
    Loads of coal on the beach this week.
    Devil in disguise,

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    Looks early 60's, the beach is now further out and still just as good.

Ha!Ha! When was the last time you walked out on the beach? I have been out several times in recent years - with wellington boots on - like most people - because of the mud. In fact nearly lost my wellie on one occasion as it got stuck in quicksand. You have to pick the path that you need to take - otherwise you find yourself in trouble. In several places it is a matter of jumping from one clod of grass to the next to avoid the yuk! In May of this year, some visitors came down to the beach - they walked out parallel to the pier. To miss the mud, they only had a path about a metre wide to walk along. Even then their feet were covered.

The beach is indeed moving further out - there used to be a deep channel at the end of the pier, which has now disappeared - it was thick mud there, but now it is becoming sandy. Why do you think there are no longer many cars parked on the beach now if it is as good as you say it is?

North of the pier is no-mans land!

All I am saying is that the beach is the biggest attraction for Southport. According to the Liverpool University, who carried out a survey of North West Coasts - Sefton does not manage the beach as well as it should. Sefton does not engage with partners on the management of the beach, nor has it made any plans of priority needs for it. It is a tourist attraction - this needs to be addressed and the beach needs attention to bring visitors into town.

18. Likes anna62 liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Ha!Ha! When was the last time you walked out on the beach? I have been out several times in recent years - with wellington boots on - like most people - because of the mud. In fact nearly lost my wellie on one occasion as it got stuck in quicksand. You have to pick the path that you need to take - otherwise you find yourself in trouble. In several places it is a matter of jumping from one clod of grass to the next to avoid the yuk! In May of this year, some visitors came down to the beach - they walked out parallel to the pier. To miss the mud, they only had a path about a metre wide to walk along. Even then their feet were covered.

The beach is indeed moving further out - there used to be a deep channel at the end of the pier, which has now disappeared - it was thick mud there, but now it is becoming sandy. Why do you think there are no longer many cars parked on the beach now if it is as good as you say it is?

North of the pier is no-mans land!

All I am saying is that the beach is the biggest attraction for Southport. According to the Liverpool University, who carried out a survey of North West Coasts - Sefton does not manage the beach as well as it should. Sefton does not engage with partners on the management of the beach, nor has it made any plans of priority needs for it. It is a tourist attraction - this needs to be addressed and the beach needs attention to bring visitors into town.
    "The presence of muddy fine sediment along the foreshore to the north of the Pieris evidently not a recent occurrence. Fowler (1910) reported it was almostimpossible to walk to the Bog Hole Channel eastward of the Pier due to muddypatches with intermittent sand patches, with the whole of that area below the 9feet (2.7 m) contour being in a “stagnant condition of wet sand and mud”. Fowlersummarises the condition of the foreshore by saying:“The contrast between the muddy beach above the Pier and the hard cleanBeach extending from the Pier to Formby and down to spring low watercontour is very marked.” [Fowler, Report to the Chairman and Members ofthe Improvement and Parks Committee, Southport, 1910."

Taken from : http://www.heskethbank.com/history/e...ary_part_4.pdf

You might find the above an interesting read, Said.

Likes / Dislikes

I like the idea of adding rocks there. It is pretty featureless, really. It should be part of every kid's experience: mucking around in rock pools.

But wouldn't you have to add an awful lot of rocks to build that kind of feature? I imagine it'd be a bit like King Cnut trying to hold back the tides. Nice thought though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    It hasn't occurred that quickly, 100 years ago or so The Promanade was The Promanade, the sea came right up to the railings of the Northern part of the Marine Lake,
    Part of me is quite sorry the beach isn't a couple of dozen yards away from where I live any more. Then again, with high tides and storms, I don't fancy waves bashing the road outside, either. Or worse.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations