UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    We would have to legislate many people out of their own cars.
    For many its their personal fiefdoms personalised and very much theirs not to be shared with strangers taking on their smells and rubbish.

A "car" thats always ready,parks itself,maintains itself and will go where I want when I want sounds attractive but what you would do with them after rush hour would be an issue.

Changing your mind and watching your autonomous car disappearing off into the distance on a cold wet night would be a problem.

Climbing into a car that Mr Smelly has just used sounds yuk a reason many won't use Taxis.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes

Post …relinquishing private vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    We would have to legislate many people out of their own cars. For many its their personal fiefdoms personalised and very much theirs not to be shared with strangers taking on their smells and rubbish.
    A "car" thats always ready,parks itself,maintains itself and will go where I want when I want sounds attractive but what you would do with them after rush hour would be an issue. …
    Doubtless many issues arise. But, there will be perquisites:
    • people will pay for their journeys, not for the overhead costs of vehicle ownership — so, user pays principle applies.
    Though some will be reluctant, the externalities will nudge individuals to relinquish their vehicles:
    • expense of ownership versus convenience of pay per ride
    In addition, current arrangements may not be the only choices available. Perhaps cooperative car share schemes will come to be, allowing some measure of ability to limit exposure to anti-social behaviour.

The main point is, things will have changed on multiple fronts. Peoples' habits will change, too.

4. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    For those of us who live in a country with an extremely cold Winter, an electric vehicle just wouldn't cut it. Using the heater would mean losing about 40-50% of range. And living in a rural area we would need an EV with a good range. I'm not about to dress like Nanook of the North to avoid using the heater, or, even worse, end up stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Then there's the increased time it takes to charge the battery in cold weather. We have a large garage, but even though it's insulated it's still bloody freezing in there!

Then there's our roasting hot & humid Summers. I remember in the 70s feeling like a pot of glue stuck to the seats when it was in the 30s. No thanks, this girl needs her AC!

As much as I like the idea of an EV, it's not a practical choice.

6. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    For those of us who live in a country with an extremely cold Winter, an electric vehicle just wouldn't cut it. Using the heater would mean losing about 40-50% of range. And living in a rural area we would need an EV with a good range. I'm not about to dress like Nanook of the North to avoid using the heater, or, even worse, end up stranded in the middle of nowhere.
    Then there's the increased time it takes to charge the battery in cold weather. We have a large garage, but even though it's insulated it's still bloody freezing in there!
    Then there's our roasting hot & humid Summers. I remember in the 70s feeling like a pot of glue stuck to the seats when it was in the 30s. No thanks, this girl needs her AC!
    As much as I like the idea of an EV, it's not a practical choice.
    EVs may not be a solution in rural Canada (or rural UK for that matter). It is fair to speculate, however, that the choices on offer will become different and quite possibly severely limited. In the memories of people alive today, life in rural communities was liable to be harder than in towns. My father has told me he walked miles to school through deep snow. Then WW II intervened and changed the course of countless lives. The threat of global climate change, if left unchecked, is apt to have an even greater transformative outcome!

8. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post
    EVs do exhibit drawbacks mentioned. On the other hand, you seem to be assuming that our patterns of behaviour with respect of travelling from point to point will be otherwise pretty much as they are at present. I doubt that that will be the case.

Something has got to give and my guess is that private vehicle ownership will decline drastically in favour of hiring your trasportation as and when needed, one way or another!
    Yes, that was another alternative I was going to add: the way we use transport might have to be drastically changed. Private ownership could reduce and some kind of national or local vehicle service introduced. Not exactly a taxi service, or bus service, more personal than that.

But again, just as electric vehicles suffer some major drawbacks, the sort of 'use it then return it' system some cities have had with cycles have been great on paper, not so great when the indigenous little shite population delight in chucking them in the nearest canal. I reckon even the very best and brightest ideas can easily be scuppered by the minority of humans with turds for brains. So it isn't just technology to consider. The fact that some people haven't evolved from dragging their knuckles is also a consideration.

10. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Arrow Thread: Diesel and Petrol cars banned by 2040

Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    What feud and you may notice it is not just me that points out the obvious ?
    …You might first consider that my post is far from off topic before your application.
    Thread: Diesel and Petrol cars banned by 2040.

I'd say that puts you
    Besides which, your view has become pretty well known.
    Last edited by sandGroundZero; 16/02/2020 at 07:19 PM.

12. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceam View Post
    really? Maybe you should read some more up to date material.
    OK, not being generous, but there are as yet only 8 models with a range in excess of 125 miles, don't know about you, but I won't run anywhere of any distance with only that sort of range in my fuel tank, doesn't need much of a hold up en route and you can be in need of a top up, with all electric, that's your lot.

We have all encountered hold ups and delays on relatively short journeys, I for one would not feel at all happy with such a limited range.

Likes / Dislikes

Question An' bleak December's winds ensuin,

An aside with respect of:
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    I reckon even the very best and brightest ideas can easily be scuppered by the minority of humans with turds for brains.
    …perhaps; but one way or another …

Let us not forget that things could get very much worse than not having the luxury of driving here and there in our privately owned motors 20 years from now.

Homo sapiens tend to wrestle with changes retrospectively — when it comes to anticipating future changes, we're pretty hopeless.

15. Likes The PNP, Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    OK, not being generous, but there are as yet only 8 models with a range in excess of 125 miles, don't know about you, but I won't run anywhere of any distance with only that sort of range in my fuel tank, doesn't need much of a hold up en route and you can be in need of a top up, with all electric, that's your lot.

We have all encountered hold ups and delays on relatively short journeys, I for one would not feel at all happy with such a limited range.
    The mileage figures provided by the manufacturers, Will be obtained under near laboratory conditions.

Once you factor in headwinds, heavy, slow traffic, headlights on, heater on, heated rear window on, air conditioning on, radio on etc etc

The actual figures will be considerably less than those “government” figures.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    The mileage figures provided by the manufacturers, Will be obtained under near laboratory conditions.

Once you factor in headwinds, heavy, slow traffic, headlights on, heater on, heated rear window on, air conditioning on, radio on etc etc

The actual figures will be considerably less than those “government” figures.
    Even if you halve the typical quoted range in miles per charge, to take account of heaters, w/wipers, etc....You're still left with more than enough range for the vast majority of daily commutes. Preston, L'pool or even a Mcr return trip, would not be a problem imo.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    local & The PNP — ever think about starting a new thread to carry on your feud?

Would it help to point out that each person criticising another, is nothing more than pot calling kettle?

If anyone of those people does not drive any vehicle, does not enjoy central heating, never uses air conditioning, never uses any chemical toiletries, or building materials, never takes flights abroad or boat trips etc., then fair enough - you can criticise those who do not! Just how many cave dwelling hermits have we got in the UK?

19. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Thread: Diesel and Petrol cars banned by 2040.
    I'd say that puts you
    Besides which, your view has become pretty well known.

Is this just for road vehicles? Or do ships and aircraft feature in this ideal pollution free environment? I honestly cannot envisage this happening in fifteen years (2035 now given) for many reasons.

How will people be encouraged to give up their reliable old car to pay out for a far more not so reliable expensive car?
    Government subsidies have been offered for new purchases of these - but that value has dropped since 2018.
    The National Grid struggles to provide for a sudden mass demand of electricity - how will it cope with a sudden demand for around 31 million cars? Where will this additional power come from?
    Charging a car at home overnight will require special charging kits that will cost extra, and this option will not available for those who do not have a parking space or live in flats etc.,
    Travelling into London will be impossible even for those living just outside the city - how will commuters fare? Is this the real reason for the HS2?
    Each battery will require several changes during the life time of the car - these are very costly and likely to be even more so as component metals become scarce.
    Anyone want to join me on sailing lessons?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    If anyone of those people does not drive any vehicle, does not enjoy central heating, never uses air conditioning, never uses any chemical toiletries, or building materials, never takes flights abroad or boat trips etc., then fair enough - you can criticise those who do not! Just how many cave dwelling hermits have we got in the UK?
    Agreed, we're all guilty of adding to the greenhouse gas problem in varying degrees.....At least some of us are making an effort to reduce their carbon footprints. Funny thing about certain posters on here who habitually criticise others - notice how they stay silent about their own eco shortcomings.

Myself, I only ride 'rescued' and restored bikes, like to keep one by door to ferry back essentials from the shop. Choose not to have a car. Also deliberately avoid flying - approx 20 years since last boarding a plane. Can heat home/tapwater with a carbon neutral product. Regularly take my recycling waste to the tip. Keep hold of stuff many would throw away, for re-use/re-purposing down the line. And most controversially of all - take out customers old coal and gas fires, replacing them with Govt approved carbon-neutral woodstoves.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes

Politics …the no change scenario

Is this just for road vehicles? Or do ships and aircraft feature in this ideal pollution free environment? I honestly cannot envisage this happening in fifteen years (2035 now given) for many reasons.
    How will people be encouraged to give up their reliable old car to pay out for a far more not so reliable expensive car?
    • Government subsidies have been offered for new purchases of these - but that value has dropped since 2018.
    • The National Grid struggles to provide for a sudden mass demand of electricity - how will it cope with a sudden demand for around 31 million cars? Where will this additional power come from?
    • Charging a car at home overnight will require special charging kits that will cost extra, and this option will not available for those who do not have a parking space or live in flats etc.,
    • Travelling into London will be impossible even for those living just outside the city - how will commuters fare? Is this the real reason for the HS2?
    • Each battery will require several changes during the life time of the car - these are very costly and likely to be even more so as component metals become scarce.
    Anyone want to join me on sailing lessons?
    For the sake of discussion, suppose everything (above) is a more-or-less accurate description /prediction. Suppose also that the climate scientists' models also provide a more-or-less accurate description of future climate change. Then what?

EVs do not replace internal combustion engines and our habits do not change significantly. How do you suppose that will work out?

Likes / Dislikes
    Would it help to point out that each person criticising another, is nothing more than pot calling kettle?

I plead guilty to all of the above but certainly not to using lung damaging forest destroying woodburning stoves my conscience won't let me damage local childrens lungs.

Eco hypocrites are everywhere and PNP is one.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations