UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

An everyday story of St Marks Medical Practicee

My wife is lying in bed with a bad back issue:

At 0800 I call the above practice and am informed I’m number eighty in the queue

At 0843 I’m told “no appointments left today” so I ask for one tomorrow .. “appointments can only be made on the day”

“OK, I will take her to A&E”

“No, that is for emergencies only, call 111 for advice”

I have previously spoken at length to one of the doctors about this and he was adamant that a lack of NHS funding meant they had insufficient doctors

So, should a practice be allowed to have an unrealistic number of patients on their books or should they cull the numbers and have their funding yet further reduced?

Here we go round the mulberry bush .........

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Don't worry it won't be long before Boris, Damien & their pals have sold it all off & you will be fine...... if you've got plenty of wonga. The Yanks & Branson are licking their greedy chops in anticipation.

4. Likes The PNP, daviebaby liked this post
    Dislikes N/A, TownieChap, semah, Darkside disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    St Marks have nearly 15000 registered patients, the more they have the more funding they get. Sadly this goes to shareholders of the practice rather than providing better healthcare.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafoozalum View Post
    Don't worry it won't be long before Boris, Damien & their pals have sold it all off & you will be fine...... if you've got plenty of wonga. The Yanks & Branson are licking their greedy chops in anticipation.
    Where have you been, most of the NHS has already been sold off to big companies, 40 years ago most GP's & Dental Practices were one man bands or Partnerships of 2 or 3, now most are big companies in comparison many of which are part of a large group some owned by multinational companies. It is also creeping into other services, physios, District Nurse services around here to name name but 2.

Likes / Dislikes
    St Marks struggles with its migrant responsibilities .

I used to be registered there and left after the Doctor explained their problems.

8. Likes TownieChap liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kritou View Post
    My wife is lying in bed with a bad back issue:

At 0800 I call the above practice and am informed I’m number eighty in the queue

At 0843 I’m told “no appointments left today” so I ask for one tomorrow .. “appointments can only be made on the day”

“OK, I will take her to A&E”

“No, that is for emergencies only, call 111 for advice”

I have previously spoken at length to one of the doctors about this and he was adamant that a lack of NHS funding meant they had insufficient doctors

So, should a practice be allowed to have an unrealistic number of patients on their books or should they cull the numbers and have their funding yet further reduced?

Here we go round the mulberry bush .........
    To be number EIGHTY in a call queue is just ridiculous. The system should reject calls after 10 or 15 callers are in wait and add new callers to the system on a call-by-call basis. Who on earth wants to wait for 79 callers to be dealt with, not me. (Also, St Marks should really get rid of that bloody awful music that they use, a simple ring-ring would do).

A surgery receptionist cannot tell you not to go to A&E. The receptionist cannot see your wife, they can not diagnose your wife, they have zero medical qualifications and so should not be instructing anybody further than appointments, blood test results and general NHS information. If you believe your wife is in pain, distress or danger regarding a medical complaint you should absolutely take her to A&E immediately.

St Mark's is the town centre surgery and so the town centre residents are the main bulk of patients. The town centre is largely populated by immigrant families. I am willing to bet that 45 to 60 percent of St Mark's patients are made of these immigration families. It is these families that take their children to see the doctor for a sore throat or a runny nose, they queue outside the doors of St Mark's from 7am onwards to ensure that they are seen to. Before the doors of the surgery have even opened they are almost fully booked for that day.

Likes / Dislikes

St Mark's is the town centre surgery and so the town centre residents are the main bulk of patients. The town centre is largely populated by immigrant families. I am willing to bet that 45 to 60 percent of St Mark's patients are made of these immigration families. It is these families that take their children to see the doctor for a sore throat or a runny nose, they queue outside the doors of St Mark's from 7am onwards to ensure that they are seen to. Before the doors of the surgery have even opened they are almost fully booked for that day.
    Are you a racist? Do have problems with immigrants? My guess is that the answer to both questions is a resounding YES!
    Last edited by Derek H; 24/02/2020 at 02:55 PM.
    Age is simply a matter of mind - age doesn't matter if you don't mind

11. Dislikes N/A, TownieChap, Darkside disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieChap View Post
    To be number EIGHTY in a call queue is just ridiculous. The system should reject calls after 10 or 15 callers are in wait and add new callers to the system on a call-by-call basis. Who on earth wants to wait for 79 callers to be dealt with, not me. (Also, St Marks should really get rid of that bloody awful music that they use, a simple ring-ring would do).

A surgery receptionist cannot tell you not to go to A&E. The receptionist cannot see your wife, they can not diagnose your wife, they have zero medical qualifications and so should not be instructing anybody further than appointments, blood test results and general NHS information. If you believe your wife is in pain, distress or danger regarding a medical complaint you should absolutely take her to A&E immediately.

True! I have been registered with St. Marks even long before when it was the Surgery in church Street. I have never had so much trouble getting seen as in the past decade, and I am one of those who rarely goes to a doctor.
    Because of the issue over phoning in, my neighbour who attends the same surgery decided to go to the actual surgery to make an appointment. She has great difficulty in walking distances but struggled into town. When she went into the reception area, she was told very sharply by one of the reception staff 'We are closed for training, we cannot deal with any enquiries or appointments' That was before she had said anything. For heaven's sake - do the receptionists get to decide how urgently you need to see a medical person?
    Another friend of mine had tried to phone through to the surgery on several occasions, always just missing out on an appointment time. But he rang through mid morning one day and said that it was an emergency, but that he could not get to the surgery as he could not move. He was told a doctor would come out to him. At 6pm a doctor turned up to find him in agonising pain - he was immediately transferred to hospital given morphine and had major surgery. The situation had grown much worse because he could not get an appointment to see a doctor.

13. Likes TownieChap liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek H View Post

Are you a racist? Do have problems with immigrants? My guess is that the answer to both questions is a resounding YES!
    I would be very careful before labeling somebody a racist, very careful indeed.

15. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    I would be very careful before labeling somebody a racist, very careful indeed.
    I asked a question and guessed the reply. I note you deftly refrain from answering. But your comments speak for themselves, do they not? (Not that I expect you to answer - although you might well respond). I think the labelLing can be seen in what you wrote.
    And if you dislike what I wrote, report my post and ask for it to be deleted.

17. Dislikes TownieChap, N/A disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    St Mark's is the town centre surgery and so the town centre residents are the main bulk of patients. The town centre is largely populated by immigrant families. I am willing to bet that 45 to 60 percent of St Mark's patients are made of these immigration families. It is these families that take their children to see the doctor for a sore throat or a runny nose, they queue outside the doors of St Mark's from 7am onwards to ensure that they are seen to. Before the doors of the surgery have even opened they are almost fully booked for that day.[/QUOTE]

Are you a racist? Do have problems with immigrants? My guess is that the answer to both questions is a resounding YES![/QUOTE]

No! You have to look at the wider picture here. If you have ever been to a free bar, you will find that everyone at that bar will try to obtain as much as they can without considering the other drinkers around them. British people are aware of the NHS and the pressures that they are under and will not in general, attend a medical centre unless it is necessary to do so - the NHS is not free. Only foreign people to the UK find it a novelty to obtain health care 'free' and take advantage of it, without considering other people. Very often, they attend when they have minor problems such as colds and cuts etc., to keep testing the system preventing those who have more serious problems from getting seen to. You really need to be present to witness this for yourself as many of us have.

19. Likes TownieChap liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    No! You have to look at the wider picture here. If you have ever been to a free bar, you will find that everyone at that bar will try to obtain as much as they can without considering the other drinkers around them. British people are aware of the NHS and the pressures that they are under and will not in general, attend a medical centre unless it is necessary to do so - the NHS is not free. Only foreign people to the UK find it a novelty to obtain health care 'free' and take advantage of it, without considering other people. Very often, they attend when they have minor problems such as colds and cuts etc., to keep testing the system preventing those who have more serious problems from getting seen to. You really need to be present to witness this for yourself as many of us have.[/QUOTE]

But you (plural) keep saying that the receptions are a battle to deal with. Haven't they the ability to differentiate between "foreign people" who only have a cold and "British people" who really needs to see a doctor? We have lots of immigrants who use my GP and his colleagues. They don't act the way you say they do in the UK. But an appointment with a doctor here costs about 25 quid (until you have paid about 280 quid in the year) - is that the difference?
    Are all GPs "overrun" with immigrants in the UK?
    PS Appointments for kids a free of charge here, naturally!

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post

No! You have to look at the wider picture here. If you have ever been to a free bar, you will find that everyone at that bar will try to obtain as much as they can without considering the other drinkers around them. British people are aware of the NHS and the pressures that they are under and will not in general, attend a medical centre unless it is necessary to do so - the NHS is not free. Only foreign people to the UK find it a novelty to obtain health care 'free' and take advantage of it, without considering other people. Very often, they attend when they have minor problems such as colds and cuts etc., to keep testing the system preventing those who have more serious problems from getting seen to. You really need to be present to witness this for yourself as many of us have.
    Quite right. However, if the bar staff working the free bar were under pressure I'm sure we would not ease up in our demand to be served

Likes / Dislikes
    No! You have to look at the wider picture here. If you have ever been to a free bar, you will find that everyone at that bar will try to obtain as much as they can without considering the other drinkers around them.

Quite right. However, if the bar staff working the free bar were under pressure I'm sure we would not ease up in our demand t be served
    I lived in Singapore for a few years in the early 1970s and had lots and lots of cocktail parties to attend, sometimes three a day. They all had free bars. But I think I can say that all of us, irrepective of nationality, acted in a manner that was expected of us. Are you saying that Brits have no manners when it comes to alcohol and the like? If so I think many should be ashamed.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek H View Post
    [QUOTE

Are you a racist? Do have problems with immigrants? My guess is that the answer to both questions is a resounding YES![/QUOTE]

It is in perhaps unfortunate language but the gist of the observation is true I was a patient there and one of the partner GP's explained their problems and apologised for them.

24. Likes TownieChap liked this post
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations