UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast

Thread: The Way Forward

Likes / Dislikes

The Way Forward

There's no doubt that the majority of our sane minded people are against obsessive political correctness and the abolition of free speech. The reason why PC has overtaken sanity is because the national press and broadcasting media like anything that stirs up controversy and they seize upon any social media comment - generally feigning grievance - that they can develop into a huge story. If, at the end of the line, they can cajole some politician or well known person into giving an "apology", when no apology is relevant, then they consider that that adds to the "legitimacy" of their concocted story/grievance.
    Most normal people just shrug their shoulders and resign themselves to reluctantly accept that this is the way the world is turning but what does it say about the future of our country?
    There are a small number of people who despise our country and all our traditions. They might be small in number but they have the loudest voices. Why can't we/they be proud of our countries achievements? We have a lot to be proud of.
    If we have made mistakes in the past - if - then that past is now relegated to history. We can't change history so it cannot be erased. Lets unite and be proud of our country and its traditions.
    That's not a political statement but a statement of optimism that we should all work towards a strong and proud future together without the divisions and hate that some factions try to create.
    We cannot change the past but we can mould the future.
    I am a patriot and I will continue to sing "Rule Brittania" and "Land of Hope & Glory". Are you with me?

2. Likes Nick2, Darkside, lambsey liked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by duncet View Post
    There's no doubt that the majority of our sane minded people are against obsessive political correctness and the abolition of free speech. The reason why PC has overtaken sanity is because the national press and broadcasting media like anything that stirs up controversy and they seize upon any social media comment - generally feigning grievance - that they can develop into a huge story. If, at the end of the line, they can cajole some politician or well known person into giving an "apology", when no apology is relevant, then they consider that that adds to the "legitimacy" of their concocted story/grievance.
    Most normal people just shrug their shoulders and resign themselves to reluctantly accept that this is the way the world is turning but what does it say about the future of our country?
    There are a small number of people who despise our country and all our traditions. They might be small in number but they have the loudest voices. Why can't we/they be proud of our countries achievements? We have a lot to be proud of.
    If we have made mistakes in the past - if - then that past is now relegated to history. We can't change history so it cannot be erased. Lets unite and be proud of our country and its traditions.
    That's not a political statement but a statement of optimism that we should all work towards a strong and proud future together without the divisions and hate that some factions try to create.
    I am a patriot and I will continue to sing "Rule Brittania" and "Land of Hope & Glory". Are you with me?
    Yes I will continue to sing those songs.

It would be a shame if the zealots spoilt things for the majority.
    I would rather see Black and ethnic minorities enjoying themselves
    at the Last night of the proms than boycotting it.

Likes / Dislikes
    If anyone tells you you can't sing 'Land of Hope & Glory', tell them to sod off.

6. Likes Hamble, Nick2, Styx liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

With you? I have been ahead of you for some years now. I agree with everything you say. It is either that the media have far more power now than they have in the past, or that the media is dancing to some puppeteers tune. It is a known marketing ploy that who has control of the media, controls the people - this is particularly evident at this present time.

The British nation may have become diluted by an influx of those who neither understand nor realise that there exists a very strong cohesion among the people of the UK, but as recent voting has shown it still exists within the population and is as strong as ever. These are people of like minds who know the media cannot be trusted so they pay little heed to it. These are the people who are proud of their heritage and those who created it. There is not one country that can claim that mistakes have not been made in their past - the UK is no different. "Land of Hope and Glory"and "Rule Brittania" signify our pride, anyone who disagrees should not be in our Green and Pleasant Land. Hopefully, the few PC advocates that do exist - will learn from their foolishness and over time will crawl away and disappear completely - nothing will ever destroy our freedom and happiness.

Likes / Dislikes
    I’m pretty sure that I read, some time ago, that mill workers in the north west went on strike as they didn’t want to deal with cotton picked by slaves. If anyone can verify this, or posts links ( ‘cos I ‘m old and can’t !) then please do. If this is true, then I think they deserve statues in their honour, as it was obviously a very brave thing to do. ( Still sitting up with my geese, watching out for the f*****g fox ! )
    Last edited by rainydaze; 25/08/2020 at 11:28 PM.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by rainydaze View Post
    I’m pretty sure that I read, some time ago, that mill workers in the north west went on strike as they didn’t want to deal with cotton picked by slaves. If anyone can verify this, or posts links ( ‘cos I ‘m old and can’t !) then please do. If this is true, then I think they deserve statues in their honour, as it was obviously a very brave thing to do. ( Still sitting up with my geese, watching out for the f*****g fox ! )
    It wasn't a strike. It was during the time of the cotton famine, which was at the time of the American Civil War. Many mills were closed and workers were practically starving to death. In many ways they were slaves themselves. They certainly weren't treated much better. Terrible times.

The Union side had imposed a naval blockade on the Southern Confederate states. The mill owners wanted the Royal Navy to break through the blockade to get the cotton they desperately needed to ramp up production again. They ordered the mill workers to support them, but despite the dreadful poverty they were in due to the cotton famine, they refused to back it. Some people might say that in refusing to support it they were making things even worse for themselves, which they were. I say that they were brave, selfless, principled people, who deserve to be honoured.

There is a statue of Abraham Lincoln in Manchester, inscribed with the words he wrote to thank the people for what they had done. You can read about it on the link below.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-21057494

Hope your FF stays away from your geese. We have lots of foxes here. Beautiful creatures though they are, I hate seeing them coming through our property with a critter in their mouth, usually a poor squirrel.

Likes / Dislikes
    Thanks Seivad. X

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by rainydaze View Post
    THE BRITISH SLAVE TRADE
    This remarkable story raises a simple but crucial question: why did the British turn against slavery and the slave trade? Part of the reason is undoubtedly the rise of compassionate humanitarianism, particularly amongst an increasingly leisured middle class. Scholars also point to the influence of Nonconformist religion, on the one hand, and Evangelical Protestantism, on the other. But of greater significance was a shift in economic thought. In the British case slavery flourished because West Indian planters were effectively subsidised by the British taxpayer. By the late 1820s, when many Britons began to see the benefits of a world economy untrammelled by restrictions and controls, such privileges seemed outmoded and frankly unwarranted. Indeed, it is probably true to say that the British slave system was 'not so much rendered unprofitable, but by-passed by the changing economic and social order in Britain'. BBC

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    THE BRITISH SLAVE TRADE
    This remarkable story raises a simple but crucial question: why did the British turn against slavery and the slave trade? Part of the reason is undoubtedly the rise of compassionate humanitarianism, particularly amongst an increasingly leisured middle class. Scholars also point to the influence of Nonconformist religion, on the one hand, and Evangelical Protestantism, on the other. But of greater significance was a shift in economic thought. In the British case slavery flourished because West Indian planters were effectively subsidised by the British taxpayer. By the late 1820s, when many Britons began to see the benefits of a world economy untrammelled by restrictions and controls, such privileges seemed outmoded and frankly unwarranted. Indeed, it is probably true to say that the British slave system was 'not so much rendered unprofitable, but by-passed by the changing economic and social order in Britain'. BBC

I don't think it it was a case of the British seeing other opportunities it was more like the importation of slaves being prohibited and slavery being progressively abolished.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    I don't think it it was a case of the British seeing other opportunities it was more like the importation of slaves being prohibited and slavery being progressively abolished.

So are you saying that British people in the 17/18th centuries, had different ideologies to those of the people today? After all, it was only a minority of business people involved in the slave trade.

Would the people of those times not have known about the slave trade of all nations, all over the World?

During the 17th/18th centuries, the African people were going through a severe drought - there was much starvation and poverty. Would you say that those brought to Europe as slaves escaped those problems?

Likes / Dislikes
    How often do you sing them and where?
    Has anyone told you that you can't sing them?

Likes / Dislikes
    I am a patriot and I will continue to sing "Rule Brittania" and "Land of Hope & Glory".
    Are you with me? — duncet post #1

Rule, Britannia
    Britannia waives the rules …

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    I guarantee that 99.999% of the country, including those who are complaining about the Proms, know the words 'Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves, Britons never never never shall be slaves', and not a single word of the verses.

Same with 'Land of Hope & Glory'.

Nothing wrong with that, of course. I don't personally care who sings it, and if someone told me I couldn't, I'd be ****** off about it.

But let's not pretend these stirring songs are so close to our hearts. I think it's more a reaction to the perception of 'why' they aren't being sung with a full choir, rather than the songs themselves. Mainly the misconception that the conductor didn't want them. After all, if someone said the Proms were cancelled this year, nobody would bat an eyelid.

I like both songs. I'll sing along if they are on TV. Nobody is saying I can't. And if they did, I'd tell them where to go.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post

It is not a matter of anyone telling someone they are not allowed to sing these songs - it is more to the point as to why a supposedly national agency should even consider challenging the words or use of them.

At one time, there was no other institution that was classed more as a True British agency other than the - BBC BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation. The British nation has by its very being, always been a conservative nation. At it inception the BBC reflected the same outlook, correct speech, British best behaviour, public decency and respect etc., Now the Corporation has become far more left wing in contradiction of the majority of the British public.

For this institution to even give rise to, or to question that which is an inherent part of our British tradition is a complete insult to anyone British. It is considered to be audacious in its extreme for an agency which is described as British, to turn its back on British traditions. To add insult to injury - they expect people to pay a licence fee for this agency to continue broadcasting insults to the British people - I think not!

People will not act to change that which they are proud of. There has been far too much interference in recent times by those who lack the knowledge of British history and even more damaging is that they are supported by an equally ignorant media.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    It is not a matter of anyone telling someone they are not allowed to sing these songs - it is more to the point as to why a supposedly national agency should even consider challenging the words or use of them.

At one time, there was no other institution that was classed more as a True British agency other than the - BBC BRITISH Broadcasting Corporation. The British nation has by its very being, always been a conservative nation. At it inception the BBC reflected the same outlook, correct speech, British best behaviour, public decency and respect etc., Now the Corporation has become far more left wing in contradiction of the majority of the British public.

For this institution to even give rise to, or to question that which is an inherent part of our British tradition is a complete insult to anyone British. It is considered to be audacious in its extreme for an agency which is described as British, to turn its back on British traditions. To add insult to injury - they expect people to pay a licence fee for this agency to continue broadcasting insults to the British people - I think not!

People will not act to change that which they are proud of. There has been far too much interference in recent times by those who lack the knowledge of British history and even more damaging is that they are supported by an equally ignorant media.
    Oh dear untwist your knickers dearie, this year we have an unusual circumstance as regards the Proms, personally don't watch them, nothing to do with patriotism or lack of, more can't be assed watching the hooray henrys.

As regards the assorted songs, I can understand a change due to change of circumstances, I can't agree any change because some prat thinks thinks they are no longer PC.

Where or where do you get the idea that the BBC is left wing or if it comes to that right wing either? particularly when you have some Tory twit demanding another "news" channel with a definite right wing slant.

As far as the license fee is concerned, much, much better value than any of the contracts with any of the other providers, plus you don't get to see the "highly intelligent adverts"

For all "patriots" how many actually know all the words to these intensely "patriotic" songs, or even the National Anthem if comes to that, I would reckon very few.

Sure as a country we have much to be proud of and much not to be proud of, but our history is our history, anyone trying to rewrite it can sod off,

19. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations