UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    A)

To be fair, I have lobbied both Sefton and central Govt about bringing in a 'green-bike' phase at lights junctions (as in NL). This allows riders to get away before the motor traffic....Sadly, those who wait for the lights to turn green, are sometimes crushed by left-turning vehicles.
    :
    One of your favourites whines, please explain just who in their right minds drives, ride or cycles up the nearside of a left turning vehicle? I witnessed exactly this, cyclist escaped but his bike was definitely fit for scrap only, of course cyclist blaming the truck driver, in truth the driver hadn’t a hope in hell of seeing the cyclist positioned alongside the cab.

Fortunately police also took the view that cyclist was wrong, actual description used when talking to me, “the guys an idiot”.

2. Likes libraryguy, lambsey, Little Londoner liked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy View Post
    A) You see, you just can't help yourself. The number of car-on-car smashes at traffic lights is the result of drivers taking their chance to go through on a very late amber light

B) Being crushed by left-turning vehicles, does this not prove that cyclists have no sense to spot the danger? Draw up alongside a long heavy truck and the trailer unit is destined to be pulled over to the left - it's just simple physics. Additionally, being on a small bike and a truck driver being much higher up, the cyclist is placing themselves where the driver finds it impossible to see them. If you're on a bike stay behind large vehicles and let them go ahead of you.....Is it any wonder large vehicles have to have notices on them telling cyclists not to cycle on their left side as they might get hurt.
    A) Not to mention the handful of drivers who accelerate through lights hoping for the best, even after they've gone to red!

B) Yes agree, however truckers blindspots are well known, and I would certainly hesitate to put my bike in that position. But when there's a short piece of cycle-lane provided, people will naturally want to use it. Also, you would be surprised how often car drivers take a left, without checking their left-hand mirror.....
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    One of your favourites whines, please explain just who in their right minds drives, ride or cycles up the nearside of a left turning vehicle? I witnessed exactly this, cyclist escaped but his bike was definitely fit for scrap only, of course cyclist blaming the truck driver, in truth the driver hadn’t a hope in hell of seeing the cyclist positioned alongside the cab.

Fortunately police also took the view that cyclist was wrong, actual description used when talking to me, “the guys an idiot”.
    At lights or elsewhere, being constantly positioned to the left of motor traffic when riding, is not ideal.....Gridirons, potholes and other defects lurk there. Drivers often overtake too close. And you're first in the firing line if someone pulls out of a side road without looking properly.

We need decent cycle infrastructure, that puts a kerb (or other form of defence) between the motor traffic and vulnerable riders. And like I said earlier, a 'green-bike' phase at lights, to let people get away safely. Those two measures alone, would save many lives and many serious injuries.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    At lights or elsewhere, being constantly positioned to the left of motor traffic when riding, is not ideal.....Gridirons, potholes and other defects lurk there. Drivers often overtake too close. And you're first in the firing line if someone pulls out of a side road without looking properly.

We need decent cycle infrastructure, that puts a kerb (or other form of defence) between the motor traffic and vulnerable riders. And like I said earlier, a 'green-bike' phase at lights, to let people get away safely. Those two measures alone, would save many lives and many serious injuries.
    At light controlled junctions, cycle lanes can be a constant problem, cycle lanes do not go through the junction, you certainly love your bike green light idea, tell me what’s wrong with cyclists simply obeying the rules of the road? or is that too difficult to grasp?

I well remember when trucks would carry two signs at the rear, offside read overtaker nearside read undertaker, that was a warning rather than an invitation.

Likes / Dislikes
    A) At light controlled junctions, cycle lanes can be a constant problem, cycle lanes do not go through the junction,

B) you certainly love your bike green light idea, tell me what’s wrong with cyclists simply obeying the rules of the road? or is that too difficult to grasp?
    A) True. Cycle-lanes do though preferably lead to a wide area reserved just for the bikes, with an ASL (advanced stop line) box.

The idea being, to ride up the inside of the stationary traffic (if they've left enough room!) to attain the safety of the ASL box. Once there, the rider is supposed to be visible to drivers, and will avoid being hit when everyone sets off.......It's a solution that's cheap to install - just a splash of paint and presto! But from a safety angle, it falls far short of what a kerb-separated lane and green-bike phase would offer.

B) Perhaps if the infrastructure was up to scratch, people would be more inclined to behave.....Faced with the choice of setting off early, just before the lights turn green - or waiting and maybe being crushed. It's not surprising some choose the former to ensure survival, as opposed to a possible fine!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    A) True. Cycle-lanes do though preferably lead to a wide area reserved just for the bikes, with an ASL (advanced stop line) box.

The idea being, to ride up the inside of the stationary traffic (if they've left enough room!) to attain the safety of the ASL box. Once there, the rider is supposed to be visible to drivers, and will avoid being hit when everyone sets off.......It's a solution that's cheap to install - just a splash of paint and presto! But from a safety angle, it falls far short of what a kerb-separated lane and green-bike phase would offer.

B) Perhaps if the infrastructure was up to scratch, people would be more inclined to behave.....Faced with the choice of setting off early, just before the lights turn green - or waiting and maybe being crushed. It's not surprising some choose the former to ensure survival, as opposed to a possible fine!
    In all honesty don't have a problem with cyclists in their little box at the front, I can see them and what they are doing, the ones who are a bloody menace are the ones sprinting up the inside, then trying to out drag cars leaving the lights.

Likes / Dislikes

Yes, I have seen cyclists come to grief when they are too close to lorries turning left at junctions. If I am cycling and come up to a lorry which is near to or at a junction, then I wait behind it and let the lorry go first. It is a darned sight bigger than me!

Likes / Dislikes

As a cyclist, you do have to be far more observant than most users on the road because you are far more vulnerable. I do not rely on road markings - I rely on the situations as I see them.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    As a cyclist, you do have to be far more observant than most users on the road because you are far more vulnerable. I do not rely on road markings - I rely on the situations as I see them.
    ALL road users have to be observant AND fully focused, all of the time.

12. Likes Little Londoner liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    At light controlled junctions, cycle lanes can be a constant problem, cycle lanes do not go through the junction, you certainly love your bike green light idea, tell me what’s wrong with cyclists simply obeying the rules of the road? or is that too difficult to grasp?

I well remember when trucks would carry two signs at the rear, offside read overtaker nearside read undertaker, that was a warning rather than an invitation.
    Arguing with the idiot just uses up the power the fool wants saving and turning green, better off looking for a brick wall and banging your head on it.
    His old chestnut AGAIN cycling infrastructure, WHY have special lanes for cyclists they already have them "PAVEMENTS". The Visitor used to have magistrate court reports "cyclist fined £5 (when a fiver was a weeks wage) for riding on the pavement/without lights/with cycle in a dangerous condition. What reins in the morons now NOTHING. It's about time for a purge on antisocial cycling with fines and confiscation of bikes for a start.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by rolling-thunder View Post
    I agree and i actually believe that children should be educated about driving while at school. They can be educated to value their driving qualification and understand the repercussions of loosing that qualification. Hopefully this would make them more considerate drivers in the future and value their license.
    I note with interest that PNP has liked this post in which the poster has stated his belief that children should be taught to drive whilst still at school, and yet he is the one who started this thread by stating that the age at which people should be able to learn to drive, should be INCREASED to 18. In my view, this proves that he hasn’t really got a clue what he’s talking about, and merely posts on here to provoke negative comments from others.

15. Likes Little Londoner, silver fox liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by justbecause View Post
    I note with interest that PNP has liked this post in which the poster has stated his belief that children should be taught to drive whilst still at school, and yet he is the one who started this thread by stating that the age at which people should be able to learn to drive, should be INCREASED to 18. In my view, this proves that he hasn’t really got a clue what he’s talking about, and merely posts on here to provoke negative comments from others.
    There are saner people locked up than this fool. You are right in your assumption that he is a wind up merchant as when people put quite sensible suggestions he doesn't offer any agreement it is just jet black in his little mind no grey or white. I am certainly not anti cyclist as I have a long history of cycling being a former member of Southport Road Cycling Club.
    The main fault with the clown is being trapped in some wonderfully oblivious time warp where people live a few minutes walk from work there are shops selling everything at fixed prices on every corner so there is no need for a car.
    Perhaps he could be dragged into the real world world where your job may involve an hours drive each way every day of the week. Southport for his information is a Town with very little Industry and is mostly low wage retail or hospitality/service work, if you want to work in certain Industries and you don't want to move then daily travel is essential.
    I don't know how he makes a living other than working for aged people using a smarmy chat line, could you imagine employing anyone who wants to brow beat you with his way of thinking.

I am sure a lot of people thought Harold Shipman was a lovely man as he gave them an injection to ease their pain.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    Arguing with the idiot just uses up the power the fool wants saving and turning green, better off looking for a brick wall and banging your head on it.
    His old chestnut AGAIN cycling infrastructure, WHY have special lanes for cyclists they already have them "PAVEMENTS". The Visitor used to have magistrate court reports "cyclist fined £5 (when a fiver was a weeks wage) for riding on the pavement/without lights/with cycle in a dangerous condition. What reins in the morons now NOTHING. It's about time for a purge on antisocial cycling with fines and confiscation of bikes for a start.
    This has been my Southport GB / Q-Local signature for many years

Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Very appropriate with certain posters
    Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by justbecause View Post
    Duh, why is that so hard to understand?.....In school, you can give a child lessons in banking/finance - but that's hardly the same thing as letting them loose in the City to lose £millions!

Likewise, in the classroom you can teach them the theory of how to be a responsible road-user - without handing over a car to make highway mayhem with!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Duh, why is that so hard to understand?.....In school, you can give a child lessons in banking/finance - but that's hardly the same thing as letting them loose in the City to lose £millions!

Likewise, in the classroom you can teach them the theory of how to be a responsible road-user - without handing over a car to make highway mayhem with!
    So you would advocate teaching them all about cars and the theory of them while still at school, and then tell them that they can’t drive for several years after. Yeah, I can see that one working.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations