UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    For a century and a half Southport has reclaimed beachfront as the sea had retreated.

Name:  Southport circa 1912.png
Views: 0
Size:  1.61 MB
    Southport circa 1912

Useful, as the seafront and Lord Street businesses were liable to intermittent flooding in earlier days. In the meantime the Marine Lake has been a reliable body of water, looking out from the Promenade's hotel windows.

Perhaps a reclamation of additional acreage seaward of Marine Drive should be Southport's new 'big idea '? I note the chair of the Town Deal Board, Mr. Rob Fletcher, alludes (in passing) to a "Resort " type development adjacent the Marine Lake in a short vlog posted elsewhere on this thread. Perhaps some regular forum posters have been underestimating Southport's investment potential — which is strange, in view of their purported boosterism!

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Our resident eco-hypocrite keeps telling us about rising sea levels which would be a problem for the reclamation.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Our resident eco-hypocrite keeps telling us about rising sea levels which would be a problem for the reclamation.
    Rising sea levels are a fact. https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html
    Age is simply a matter of mind - age doesn't matter if you don't mind

5. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Community future flood risk

Name:  2040 projection_local sea level.png
Size:  54.4 KB
    below sea level circa 2040 ??

We do have a problem locally in that much of the West Lancs. plain is recovered peat bog and drained mere. Residential neighbourhoods in town experience recurring flooding of roads and gardens. The man-made drainage system criss-crossing the Alt Crossens drainage area are liable to overload. A rising sea level will certainly make the problem more acute.

• Will we defend? Or abandon?

If the choice is to attempt to defend the town, simply reinforcing the current defences is likely to be inadequate.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek H View Post

Wow Degsy well done, have you lost your spoon picture?

I didn't think you knew how to reply to points people raised, I was replying to this one, did you miss it, got a spoon in your eye

Perhaps a reclamation of additional acreage seaward of Marine Drive should be Southport's new 'big idea '? I note the chair of the Town Deal Board, Mr. Rob Fletcher, alludes (in passing) to a "Resort " type development adjacent the Marine Lake in a short vlog posted elsewhere on this thread. Perhaps some regular forum posters have been underestimating Southport's investment potential — which is strange, in view of their purported boosterism!

Keep up.

8. Dislikes Derek H disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Quote Wow Degsy well done, have you lost your spoon picture? Unquote

Is it time for you to grow up?

10. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post
    Will we defend? Or abandon?
    Probably both, in the above order.

What surprises me most, is the attitude some low-lying inhabitants have had to the climate crisis. By denying/arguing against climate change for as long as possible. Then, when the evidence became irrefutable, switching to a defeatist 'it's too late to stop it now' approach. Tactics which coincidentally, allow them to continue living their high-carbon lifestyle 'guilt-free'!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post
    Name:  2040 projection_local sea level.png
Size:  54.4 KB
    below sea level circa 2040 ??

We do have a problem locally in that much of the West Lancs. plain is recovered peat bog and drained mere. Residential neighbourhoods in town experience recurring flooding of roads and gardens. The man-made drainage system criss-crossing the Alt Crossens drainage area are liable to overload. A rising sea level will certainly make the problem more acute.
    • Will we defend? Or abandon?

If the choice is to attempt to defend the town, simply reinforcing the current defences is likely to be inadequate.
    The beach (our natural defence) is growing at a much faster rate than sea level rises. The latest I have read is the Irish sea is growing at a rate of 1mm per year. The beach is growing significantly more than that. The scare story from earlier in the year failed to take this into consideration therefore their model was useless.

Formby on the other hand is eroding is very quickly and it can be visibly seen year on year.

Likes / Dislikes
    So it just needs a roof .... a big one.
    The proposed development is not a stand alone surf experience though. I think saw a few weeks back, that they can use the water area as a floating cinema with boats on the "lake" watching the shows.

In addition there is a hotel and restaurants in addition to the proposed all year round facility being built at the pleasure land. Although I must confess I don't know what that new facility is going to be.

The surfing lake is only one element of the scheme.

On a separate note, the last time I checked the water paddling business on the marine lake is booked up until next year. I know its small scale, but it gives an indication of water sports popularity during the winter.

Likes / Dislikes
    "The beach (our natural defence) is growing at a much faster rate than sea level rises. The latest I have read is the Irish sea is growing at a rate of 1mm per year. The beach is growing significantly more than that. The scare story from earlier in the year failed to take this into consideration therefore their model was useless. | Formby on the other hand is eroding is very quickly and it can be visibly seen year on year." — post #69

It is true; coastal deposition and erosion are complex and difficult to model.

The problem of local flooding is not exclusively linked to coastal dynamics. Breaches in "our natural defence" (as you have described it), not least the Ribble Estuary during periods of widespread, heavy rainfall in the region combined with tidal surges overwhelm the man-made drainage which in more normal circumstances keep the floods at bay. Plus as post #69 hints, coastal dynamics (being complex) is not guaranteed to work in our favour, even if it is true that deposition at our point on the coast currently may be.

As suggested elsewhere there are sea defences in place which over centuries have enabled the reclamation of land for agricultural use. I recent decades Southport's (residential) expansion has encroached upon formerly agricultural land such that flooding, when it occurs is much more costly and consequential. We in Southport have good reason to think ahead.

16. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek H View Post

Quote Wow Degsy well done, have you lost your spoon picture? Unquote

Is it time for you to grow up?

From the man who when he had no argument to answer my point posted a picture of a spoon, your nearly funny Degsy.

Likes / Dislikes
    From the man who when he had no argument to answer my point posted a picture of a spoon, your nearly funny Degsy.

You could have managed with three letters! A Y, an E and an S.

And do you really think you are so interesting that I'm going to look at the times registered for your posts? You must be joking! You're not so funny! Note the verb - you're. Something to learn? I really start to wonder if you have serious problems with the language. Things that go beyond your ability to learn. By the way, I used the word funny in the sense humourous and not in the sense peculiar. Good night!

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Normal View Post
    The beach (our natural defence) is growing at a much faster rate than sea level rises. The latest I have read is the Irish sea is growing at a rate of 1mm per year. The beach is growing significantly more than that. The scare story from earlier in the year failed to take this into consideration therefore their model was useless.

Formby on the other hand is eroding is very quickly and it can be visibly seen year on year.
    I'm generalising here, but I've heard more about coastal erosion on the east and south coasts. You know where some poor sod's bungalow is about to drop into the sea?

So are we creeping slowly westward? Reforming Pangea?

Locally, I've seen a slightly different plan for the theatre, without the fancy jetty part. So that's 'Southport Cove', Lord Street getting a makeover, and the theatre getting a revamp. And the market being refurbished.

I hope it does happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. Empty units in the Waterfront buildings don't fill me with confidence, but if they can pull it all off, it would certainly revive the town.

Likes / Dislikes
    Disappointingly, Southport's Town Deal bid (as gleaned from variations on the press release published) appears to suggest 'a little bit of this and a dash of that ' adding up to a decidedly humdrum distillation of the Board's consultation. As ever a consultancy, Turley in this instance, may have played the largest part — the imagery?

If anyone knows a link to the actual Southport Town Deal submission (as distinct from the press release), I would be grateful to see it. The Town Deal Fund we were told:
    "…will be allocated via 2 methods. £1 billion will be allocated using a needs-based formula and £600 million which can be bid for competitively."
    …the latter £600 million to be divvied-up among 101 select towns.

In our town £0.9 million to tart-up the market hall, plus £100,000 match funding for Lord Street lighting. The press release vaguely hints that the Southport Convention Centre will be replaced altogether. What is the deal, really?

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations