UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

1. Published on: 03/11/2020 06:52 AMReported by: roving-eye
    A man who knows exactly how to strike gold has done just that with his latest venture.

In his early years, Philip Robbins spent time working in a gold mine in Africa - a man with an adventurous spirit, he travelled to South Africa aged 16 for a three week holiday and liked it so much he stayed for nine years.

The first five of those were spent working down a gold mine, and now
    back home in Lancashire, he has struck gold of a different kind, launching Forgan Distillery, making top quality gin, whiskey and dark rum using ingredients grown in the local area.

The firm, based in Banks, provides specially crafted products for those who enjoy what they savour.

Philip gave up his career in electro mechanical engineering and IT to pursue his passion; learning about his craft and earning his rare Distiller’s Licence took him a year while his bottles take several weeks to make.

They include: Refreshingly Modern Forgan 42 gin (42%) - a silver medal winner at the London Spirit Award; Forgan PINK Hibiscus Rose & Apple Gin (42%); Forgan Heather & Vanilla Gin (42%); Forgan Corn Whiskey Single Grain, Single Cask (48%); Forgan Dark Rum (46%); Forgan 74 gin (74%); and Forgan 80 gin (80%).

The Forgan traditional English dark rum takes eight weeks to ferment, while the Forgan Corn Whiskey has its roots back in the 1990s, when Philip spent some time in the USA - although some of its taste is much closer to home.

Philip said: “I use local produce for my Corn Whiskey. The corn for it grows on the other side of my fence in Banks!

“I am not allowed to call it Bourbon, because it is not made in the US, but it is made to a traditional USA Southern States Bourbon recipe and has a very similar taste.”

It takes tremendous time and huge skill to make the Forgan Distillery gins as well.
    Between the whiskey, rum, and gins, there are just seven products available. It has to be absolutely perfect to be made available to customers. There are more in development, but it takes time.

Equally, you won’t find wagon loads full of crates rolling out of Banks any time soon - these are distinctly hand-crafted bottles of spirits for the discerning drinker, not the mass produced market.

Established back in August 2017, Forgan Distillery began its journey with one goal in mind - to create high quality, locally sourced spirits that would change the face of modern alcohol.

Working with local businesses and approaching spirits from a different angle was the main driving force behind owner and gin-enthusiast Philip Robbins’ approach. Fed up with low-quality, cheap and cheerful gins, he set out to give old classics a modern facelift.

Philip Robbins left behind a reliable 30-year career in engineering and IT to pursue his love for great spirits.

Offering completely hand-crafted gin, whiskey and rum, Forgan Distillery has put its name on the map as a distillery which only creates spirits for true spirit lovers.

Philip said: “I studied hard, and looked into it and I said ‘I am going to do this.

"It took me over a year to get my Distiller’s Licence.

“I feel very strongly that I want to guarantee the integrity of my product and offer something that is truly local.

“Making these products from scratch is a very expensive process. If I bought in ready-made ingredients, I could do it in 24 hours, but the way I make my spirits, it is a three-week process. It is super time-consuming.

“But all of my gins for example are triple distilled, made using fresh, local ingredients where possible, and with Scottish mineral water at all stages. That is where you can really taste the difference.

“The quality of my products speaks for themselves. For me, it is either ‘do it properly, or don’t do it at all."

“I am one of about 5% of distillers who go all the way from grain to glass, and it is time consuming, but worth every second.

“This is all about my time, my passion and my love for what I do.

“If you want to just go and get drunk on a Friday night, then a bottle of supermarket gin is probably the one for you.

“These are well crafted gins, rums and whiskeys, with real quality, perfect for those who love to enjoy what they drink.”

Philip has travelled the UK where he has attended various festivals and other events, and is now seeing more bars and restaurants stock his products too, and the feedback from all corners has been impressive.

He said: “When I have done tasting events and cocktail nights in various places, people always comment on the quality and smoothness of my drinks.

“Around 60% to 70% of my business is repeat business. People do come back time and time again. It does say an awful lot about my products and their integrity.

“There are quite a few places stocking my products in the Southport area, and around Manchester and up into the Lakes. Everyone who has taken stock before has come back and re-ordered, which is a great sign.

“There are a couple of companies that have asked me to design gins specially for them. That has been a fun exercise. There’s a gin I make for a country house pub/hotel which is quadruple distilled and quadruple infused, I really do wish I’d kept that one for myself.

“I also do consultations. I was up in Scotland a few months ago where someone was trying to open a distillery. I went up for a couple of days and did a consultation with them.

“They will be filling their first bottle at the end of November, which is exciting.”

Now he is keen to get the Forgan Distillery name better known.

Philip said: “People have told me ‘I didn’t know there was something like this here’.

“I think I am a really well-kept secret! But word is gradually getting out there.”

“I have got a really good following in the Southport area and I do free delivery in Southport as far north as Longton, and as far south as Formby the other way.

“There is one customer in Southport who has bought two bottles of everything I have ever made. He buys one to drink, and one to keep because he sees them as a good investment.

“I have also got people from further afield throughout the UK who regularly buy from me, they are very loyal customers, and I am getting more and more customers from further afield with regular orders from Europe and even orders from USA and occasionally Australia and New Zealand.

“Christmas is looking like it’s going to be an extremely busy time.

“With so many families having been under some form of lockdown for most of this year, many people are looking to buy Christmas gifts this year which have a lot of thought behind them and are something a bit special.

"I am already taking lots of orders.”

So where does the Forgan name come from?

The Forgan heritage comes from Philip’s father’s side of the family, all the way back to William Forgan, in 1625.

William Forgan was born in Fifeshire, Scotland, and was the founder of the hamlet of Forgan, near St Andrews. Philip is proud to be a direct descendant.

It has been family tradition that every generation has one boy with the middle name Forgan, which Philip holds proudly.

Today he is proud to create alcohol from scratch instead of buying it in, allowing him absolute control over the quality and integrity of his products and really emphasising the importance of hand-crafted, high quality produce.

For more details about Forgan Distillery please visit forgandistillery.com

2. Likes daviebaby liked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

Your Comments:

4. sandGroundZero says:03/11/2020 10:09 AM
    Wake up wake up darling Corey
    What makes you sleep so sound
    The revenue officers are coming
    They're gonna tear your still house down

Well the first time I seen darling Corey
    She was sitting on the banks of the sea
    Had a forty-four around her body
    And a banjo on her knee

Go away go away darling Corey
    Quit hanging around my bed
    Your liquor has ruined my body
    Pretty women gone to my head

Dig a hole dig a hole in the meadow
    Dig a hole in the cold cold ground
    Dig a hole dig a hole in the meadow
    Gonna lay darling Corey down

Can't you hear those bluebirds a singing
    Don't you hear that mournful sound
    They're preaching darling Corey's funeral
    In some lonesome graveyard ground

Wake up wake up Darlin Corey
    And go get me my gun
    I ain't no man for fightin'
    But I'll die before I run

Pete Seeger
    © 2020 Genius Media Group Inc.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations