UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

1. Published on: 16/11/2020 06:06 AMReported by: roving-eye
    A pair of signage bollards have been ripped from their mountings at the junction of Talbot Street and Duke Street .

It is not clear how they were damaged it could have been a vehicle or it could have been vandals.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

Your Comments:

3. The PNP says:16/11/2020 10:22 AM
    Who else but the local motoring activist/s would have any motive to do all these acts? First to be removed from the towns new cross-town cycle route, were the NO ENTRY signs adjacent to Hesketh Park. Then several lane-separators vanished on Hoghton St, opposite the YMCA. Now this happens even further along....... What goes next, the shiny new bollard at the Belmont St end?
    Last edited by The PNP; 16/11/2020 at 11:05 AM.

4. Dislikes Sap33, SteveandLois disliked this post
  5. Sap33 says:16/11/2020 12:00 PM
    While not the best of photos, it looks like there's damage and black marks to the bollards, suggesting to me that they've been knocked over by a vehicle of some sort.

I'm guessing that this is most likely by accident caused by lack of driving ability, rather than some sort of sinister conspiracy by motorists!

6. said says:16/11/2020 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sap33 View Post
    While not the best of photos, it looks like there's damage and black marks to the bollards, suggesting to me that they've been knocked over by a vehicle of some sort.

I'm guessing that this is most likely by accident caused by lack of driving ability, rather than some sort of sinister conspiracy by motorists!

I would not be too sure about that. Those things received much rightful criticism when first installed and have proved to be challenging since. When traffic is waiting at the junction of Talbot Street to enter on to Duke Street, other traffic is queuing back from the crossing gates and there are cars parked just beyond the bollards. Cyclists (e.g. PNP) are at a great disadvantage as the road has now been made much narrower at that point. Without the bollards, queuing traffic for the crossing fills one lane, while the other lane is temporarily clear, allowing a cyclist to overtake the line of traffic, and reach the cycle clearance at the crossing. The bollards make this action far more precarious.

For traffic moving toward town, vehicles are forced toward the gutter to avoid the bollards, Cars have to wait behind cyclists until a cyclist has cleared that narrow area, before being able to move through. Not a big deal, until there is a long line of traffic from the crossing with drivers who have been frustrated at the gates, having to be slowed down yet again, almost immediately after. Yes, patience is a virtue - but it is not always present in real life situations.

7. Likes SteveandLois liked this post
  8. The PNP says:16/11/2020 02:06 PM
    A) While not the best of photos, it looks like there's damage and black marks to the bollards, suggesting to me that they've been knocked over by a vehicle of some sort.

B) I'm guessing that this is most likely by accident caused by lack of driving ability, rather than some sort of sinister conspiracy by motorists!
    A) Quite likely....They wouldn't have been an easy pushover for a person on foot, but easy enough to shift by pushing over with a motor vehicle.

B) The one/s who've been turning various 20mph signs at 90degs, removing NO ENTRY signage and 'community concern speed area' boards, would have no qualms about taking out a bollard or two.

9. Likes donkey22 liked this post
  10. donkey22 says:16/11/2020 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    B) The one/s who've been turning various 20mph signs at 90degs, removing NO ENTRY signage and 'community concern speed area' boards, would have no qualms about taking out a bollard or two.
    Probably the same morons who are defacing and removing all the Covid awareness signage around town.

11. Likes The PNP liked this post
  12. Sap33 says:16/11/2020 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    I would not be too sure about that. Those things received much rightful criticism when first installed and have proved to be challenging since. When traffic is waiting at the junction of Talbot Street to enter on to Duke Street, other traffic is queuing back from the crossing gates and there are cars parked just beyond the bollards. Cyclists (e.g. PNP) are at a great disadvantage as the road has now been made much narrower at that point. Without the bollards, queuing traffic for the crossing fills one lane, while the other lane is temporarily clear, allowing a cyclist to overtake the line of traffic, and reach the cycle clearance at the crossing. The bollards make this action far more precarious.

For traffic moving toward town, vehicles are forced toward the gutter to avoid the bollards, Cars have to wait behind cyclists until a cyclist has cleared that narrow area, before being able to move through. Not a big deal, until there is a long line of traffic from the crossing with drivers who have been frustrated at the gates, having to be slowed down yet again, almost immediately after. Yes, patience is a virtue - but it is not always present in real life situations.
    I also cycle, so understand the frustrations of the PNP, but I doubt anyone would deliberately knock these bollards out of the way in a car, due to the potential to damage your car!

13. Sap33 says:16/11/2020 05:02 PM
    A) Quite likely....They wouldn't have been an easy pushover for a person on foot, but easy enough to shift by pushing over with a motor vehicle.

The signs are a different matter, they're easy to spin/remove, but I doubt anyone would deliberately run the risk of damaging their car by knocking over a bollard!

On a point regarding the bollards on Hoghton Street, by their design, they come away easily. They are often found on Chapel Street after the more simple minded seem to think it's a good game to knock them over and throw them round.

14. The PNP says:16/11/2020 06:52 PM
    A) The signs are a different matter, they're easy to spin/remove, but I doubt anyone would deliberately run the risk of damaging their car by knocking over a bollard!

B) On a point regarding the bollards on Hoghton Street, by their design, they come away easily. They are often found on Chapel Street after the more simple minded seem to think it's a good game to knock them over and throw them round.
    A) The large NO ENTRY roundels adjacent to Hesketh Park, would have required step-ladders and a spanner to remove - imo some person/s must have gone prepared and equipped for the task.

Person/s with such a level of determination to get rid of cycle infrastructure, could use a vehicle to uproot keep-left bollards. A rope from a towbar would do it, as would protecting a car bumper with something suitable.

B) Curious how the twist-to-undo pencil-bollards that vanished from Hoghton St, were located all in a row. It's as if someone decided to create a handy parking space on the cycle-lane.

15. Dislikes Sap33 disliked this post
  16. Sap33 says:16/11/2020 07:10 PM
    A) The large NO ENTRY roundels adjacent to Hesketh Park, would have required step-ladders and a spanner to remove - imo some person/s must have gone prepared and equipped for the task.

Person/s with such a level of determination to get rid of cycle infrastructure, could use a vehicle to uproot keep-left bollards. A rope from a towbar would do it, as would protecting a car bumper with something suitable.

B) Curious how the twist-to-undo pencil-bollards that vanished from Hoghton St, were located all in a row. It's as if someone decided to create a handy parking space on the cycle-lane.
    You really seem to be trying to get motorists backs up against cyclists with your conspiracy theories!

I cycle, a lot, so understand how difficult it can be against some motorists, who seem to think they own the road. However, it seems to me that your inability to come up with anything apart from 'it must be the cycle hating motorists' does nothing more than turn the population against those of us who do cycle!

17. The PNP says:16/11/2020 08:07 PM
    You really seem to be trying to get motorists backs up against cyclists with your conspiracy theories!

I cycle, a lot, so understand how difficult it can be against some motorists, who seem to think they own the road. However, it seems to me that your inability to come up with anything apart from 'it must be the cycle hating motorists' does nothing more than turn the population against those of us who do cycle!
    You don't know the half of it mate....Ever since the first 20mph limits were introduced several years ago, this type of stuff has been happening both in Southport and the adjacent part of W Lancs.

First, there was the widespread deliberate sideways-turning of 20mph roundels in the area. Which more recently included the complete uprooting of a 20mph pole in Burscough. A number of cycle-route direction signs on the Moss were deliberately rotated 180degs, apparently to direct riders away from Southport. Yellow 'community concern speed area' boards are being turned/removed/vandalised. One was even folded up concertina-style to read just: 'speed'. 'Police speed check area' boards have been removed. Other curious events include, roadworks give-way warning signage in a remote location being repeatedly interfered with.....

Now, an occasional incident could be put down to kids, the wind, or even bad driving. But we have here what resembles a clear pattern. Someone who drives in the area, doesn't agree with lower speed-limits and apparently also has it in for cyclists. The latest sabotage of this new cycle route, is only the tip of that iceberg.
    Last edited by The PNP; 16/11/2020 at 08:41 PM.

18. Sap33 says:16/11/2020 08:59 PM
    You don't know the half of it mate....Ever since the first 20mph limits were introduced several years ago, this type of stuff has been happening both in Southport and the adjacent part of W Lancs.

First, there was the widespread deliberate sideways-turning of 20mph roundels in the area. Which more recently included the complete uprooting of a 20mph pole in Burscough. A number of cycle-route direction signs on the Moss were deliberately rotated 180degs, apparently to direct riders away from Southport. Yellow 'community concern speed area' boards are being turned/removed/vandalised. One was even folded up concertina-style to read just: 'speed'. 'Police speed check area' boards have been removed. Other curious events include, roadworks give-way warning signage in a remote location being repeatedly interfered with.....

Now, an occasional incident could be put down to kids, the wind, or even bad driving. But we have here what resembles a clear pattern. Someone who drives in the area, doesn't agree with lower speed-limits and apparently also has it in for cyclists. The latest sabotage of this new cycle route, is only the tip of that iceberg.
    I do know the half of it! The half that you seem to either not know, or choose to ignore is that your attitude to motorists gets peoples backs up, which does no one any favours!
    I happen to agree with a lot that you post, but your inability to see anything other than your own agenda gets peoples backs up, when if you want to get things done, you need to garner support.

19. The PNP says:16/11/2020 09:40 PM
    A) I do know the half of it! The half that you seem to either not know, or choose to ignore is that your attitude to motorists gets peoples backs up, which does no one any favours!

B) I happen to agree with a lot that you post, but your inability to see anything other than your own agenda gets peoples backs up, when if you want to get things done, you need to garner support.
    A) I have respect for all road-users - including motorists. I keep well into the side (ride just 1m from kerb), don't run red lights, or hurl abuse/make gestures. When 'buzzed', I don't bang on cars or snap wing mirrors. I give clear hand signals, use the cyclists 'unicorn' box at junctions....If anyone has an attitude, it's a particular segment of the motoring fraternity, who skim dangerously past us riders as if we don't exist!

B) The 'agenda' as I see it, is to make progress towards a comprehensive network of safe traffic-free cycle routes, that everyone who wants to can use. If you expect to receive support for that from motorists, you'll wait a very long time. Because, as can be seen from their indignant reaction to any new piece of cycle infrastructure - motorists want all the tarmac for themselves.

20. Sap33 says:16/11/2020 09:56 PM
    A) I have respect for all road-users - including motorists. I keep well into the side (ride just 1m from kerb), don't run red lights, or hurl abuse/make gestures. When 'buzzed', I don't bang on cars or snap wing mirrors. I give clear hand signals, use the cyclists 'unicorn' box at junctions....If anyone has an attitude, it's a particular segment of the motoring fraternity!

B) The 'agenda' as I see it, is to make progress towards a comprehensive network of safe traffic-free cycle routes, that everyone who wants to can use. If you expect to receive support for that from motorists, you'll wait a very long time. Because, as can be seen from their indignant reaction to any new piece of cycle infrastructure - motorists want all the tarmac for themselves.
    You're completely missing my point! Yes you may respect motorists as you say in point one, but your comments come across in a way that gets peoples backs up, INCLUDING cyclists!!!

I would love to have a comprehensive cycle network, but there's only so much funding available. Getting support from motorists is hard as it is, but the way you're going, you're going to loose the support of cyclists as well.
    Wind in the extremist views that cyclists can do no wrong and accept that somethings, like these bollards is highly likely not a plot against cyclists. I cycle more than I drive and support SOME of the cycle schemes (and will argue the toss with anyone in support of them and likewise will say if I don't).

21. The PNP says:17/11/2020 01:08 AM
    A) Wind in the extremist views that cyclists can do no wrong

B) and accept that somethings, like these bollards is highly likely not a plot against cyclists.

C) I cycle more than I drive and support SOME of the cycle schemes (and will argue the toss with anyone in support of them and likewise will say if I don't).
    A) I don't deny a percentage of cyclists break the rules, and never have disputed that. Some people are disposed to break rules, whatever they drive or ride, that is simply human nature. What is an indisputable fact (when you look at the official figures) is by far the greater majority of bike v car accidents are the motorists fault.

B) Had this incident happened in isolation, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. After all, no normal person would deliberately go out of their way to demolish two new bollards, it would make no sense.....Same first time I noticed a 20mph roundel twisted 90degs, I thought it had been loose and got blown round, or a truck must have accidentally caught it. But then I noticed another, then another, in particular the big 20mph ones at entrances to zones.

I came to the inescapable conclusion it was being done deliberately, by motorist/s who disagreed with 20mph zones. I believe doing so renders a zone unenforceable, since any motorist caught speeding can claim the signage is defective....The removal of NO ENTRY plates at the North entrance to this cycle route is another obvious example of motorist activist/s actions. Don't like a new cycle route? Just remove the signage and drive right through - duh!

C) Having lived/cycled full time in NL for a couple of years, I too am aware of the laughable shortcomings in some UK cycle infrastructure. There are many instances where it could have been done much better. For examples of best practice, I strongly suggest you take an in-depth look at this unique blog site: http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com...bel/the%20grid
    Last edited by The PNP; 17/11/2020 at 01:19 AM.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations