UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst ...
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    Capitalism and investment banks believed in their talent generating
    the funds to develop research.
    You said 'it's not a Labour achievement'. I merely mentioned it isn't a Labour or Tory achievement. Nor is it to do with Lib-Dem, SNP or Greens. It has nothing to do with politics whatsoever. At least not the politics of this country. It's about science, not politics. Can't understand why it was mentioned.

Nothing wrong with regulated capitalism. Though I thought the company was founded with investment from Thomas Strungmann, who made his money from other pharma companies.

I could be wrong. No doubt if you go back far enough an investment bank was involved. It's what they do, after all. I suppose the gift is recognising the right investment.

Good news for us that it all happened, whoever invested.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    [QUOTE=Toodles McGinty;6752889]

You said 'it's not a Labour achievement'. I merely mentioned it isn't a Labour or Tory achievement. Nor is it to do with Lib-Dem, SNP or Greens. It has nothing to do with politics whatsoever. At least not the politics of this country. It's about science, not politics. Can't understand why it was mentioned.

I stand by 'it's not a Labour achievement'.

The scientists may be immigrants they are foremost educated successful billionaires backed by Capitalism and American banks.

It is good that you are as ok with the above as I am.
    Priorities and all that.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post

I stand by 'it's not a Labour achievement'.

The scientists may be immigrants they are foremost educated successful billionaires backed by Capitalism and American banks.

It is good that you are as ok with the above as I am.
    Priorities and all that.
    You should stand by 'it's not a Labour achievement'. It isn't a Labour achievement in the slightest. I'll stand by it's not a Tory achievement either. I'll also say it isn't a Post Office achievement, it isn't a coal miners achievement, it isn't a Peppa Pig achievement, it isn't a Piers Morgan achievement, it isn't a camel achievement. The list of people or things that didn't achieve it is almost endless. It's purely science. Not politics. Just science.

I agree they are foremost educated. A feather in the cap of the German education system. And in their immigration system. I've always said, and it has been proved over and over, that immigrants bring far more to a country than they take.

They became billionaires through achievement and canny backers. I'm not sure that was an American bank, but their particular talents were nurtured by wealthy pharma companies, definitely.

Again, as I've said on many previous occasions, there is nothing wrong with regulated capitalism. Unfettered, unregulated capitalism causes problems. It ends with austerity measures placed on those who didn't cause the problems in the first place. But I've no problem with anyone making their billions, as long as they pay tax and don't steal employees pension pots. More power to them. I'm absolutely OK with that.

5. Likes Alikado, seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    I can't believe that I'm seeing vaccine procurement being used as a means of touting the superiority of the Tory party, or as support for capitalism and investment banks.

This isn't just a UK issue. It's not a political issue either. It's a global humanitarian issue. The UK has done the same as every other rich country has done, regardless of their governing party's ideology. They have pre-ordered a selection of vaccine candidates. Where the UK differs from other countries, is that they are the first to authorize its use. The US and Canada will follow this week.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03370-6

Scientists, not politicians, will have selected the vaccine candidates to pre-order. Scientists evaluate vaccines and authorize their use, or not. Our governments are responsible for the logistical nightmare to follow, which includes ensuring we have an adequate cold chain, all of the supplies necessary to administer the vaccine, and a vaccine registry to keep track of who and what vaccine was administered the first time for the vaccines which need 2 doses. Should be fun!

I will reserve my judgement of the government when they have fulfilled the part of the operation that they are responsible for, and not a minute before.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    I can't believe that I'm seeing vaccine procurement being used as a means of touting the superiority of the Tory party, or as support for capitalism and investment banks.
    I can.

Though I was quite surprised that the lack of mention of the vaccine on the day it was announced was then translated into 'nobody is mentioning it because it isn't a Labour achievement', or 'it isn't an opportunity to take a pop at the government'.

I don't think 99% of people on here, regardless of their political persuasion, thought about politics for a microsecond. I think the vast majority were relieved, and possibly a little concerned with the speed of which it was approved. But that's been explained.

While there are concerns about the handling of the virus in many countries, and there will be eventual inquiries investigating the morality or even legality of various government's actions, I think trying to make political capital out of a vaccine that will save millions if not billions, is distasteful at best.

I'm most concerned right now about our ability to deliver the vaccine safely and quickly. If that goes smoothly, I'll be the first to congratulate the powers that be.

8. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

This isn't just a UK issue. It's not a political issue either. It's a global humanitarian issue. The UK has done the same as every other rich country has done, regardless of their governing party's ideology. They have pre-ordered a selection of vaccine candidates. Where the UK differs from other countries, is that they are the first to authorize its use. The US and Canada will follow this week.

Scientists, not politicians, will have selected the vaccine candidates to pre-order. Scientists evaluate vaccines and authorize their use, or not. Our governments are responsible for the logistical nightmare to follow, which includes ensuring we have an adequate cold chain, all of the supplies necessary to administer the vaccine, and a vaccine registry to keep track of who and what vaccine was administered the first time for the vaccines which need 2 doses. Should be fun!

I will reserve my judgement of the government when they have fulfilled the part of the operation that they are responsible for, and not a minute before.
    I think this Pfizer vaccine will soon become a dead duck, it has no future in 'poor' countries due to the transport and storage issues. If the press reports are true and it only gives 90 days protection at £30 a jab I can't see many / any Governments funding that.
    When other vaccines become available will there be implications switching between vaccines, will a 'cooling off / detoxification ' period be required?
    It all points to the sensible option being (unless you are at serious risk) to wait a couple years until all the long term tests are done and the results evaluated.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    I think this Pfizer vaccine will soon become a dead duck, it has no future in 'poor' countries due to the transport and storage issues. If the press reports are true and it only gives 90 days protection at £30 a jab I can't see many / any Governments funding that.
    When other vaccines become available will there be implications switching between vaccines, will a 'cooling off / detoxification ' period be required?
    It all points to the sensible option being (unless you are at serious risk) to wait a couple years until all the long term tests are done and the results evaluated.
    Poor countries are also disadvantaged in that they don't stand a chance in pre-ordering vaccine candidates. Even if they had the necessary funds, us rich countries have gobbled up vaccine supplies.

I've not seen any press reports re. 90 day protection. Did they cite a reliable source? I don't care if I have to pay for it, but I would hope for protection that lasts a bit longer than that!

I'm pretty sure that with vaccines requiring 2 shots, the second shot has to be the same vaccine, 4 weeks later I think. This might cause a problem if there aren't any supplies available. They could assign 2 shots per person from their inventory at the time the first shot is administered. That way the 2nd shot would be withheld from available inventory.

At my age I really don't want to wait any longer than necessary. I would like to see independent peer reviews, along with details of the raw data. That's not going to happen anytime soon though. I will put my faith in the FDA report, which should be coming out on Dec.10. The FDA's process is far more rigorous. They examine the raw data and look for anomalies between their conclusions and the vaccine producer. I also trust Health Canada to be thorough. They are notoriously cautious, but it does slow them down.

11. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    It does have it's limitations. I think we'll get a combination of the 3 main contenders eventually

I was watching Peter Openshaw and another immunologist on the news recently. The interviewer asked what would happen if you couldn't get the second dose, could you use a dose of the alternatives. She thought that missing the second dose would weaken immunity. Both experts agreed that if anything, a second dose of an alternative vaccine would possibly give you greater immunity.

I only understand the most basic principles. But it does seem to make sense. I think

I do understand folk holding off the vaccines until more is known. Especially if you aren't particularly at risk. But I don't think it's a particularly 'new' vaccine, as they've been working on Coronaviruses for decades. I think they are adaptations. I don't see my age group getting a sniff until March at least, if all goes to plan. So we should know a little more then.

Likes / Dislikes
    Poor countries are also disadvantaged in that they don't stand a chance in pre-ordering vaccine candidates. Even if they had the necessary funds, us rich countries have gobbled up vaccine supplies.

I've not seen any press reports re. 90 day protection. Did they cite a reliable source? I don't care if I have to pay for it, but I would hope for protection that lasts a bit longer than that!

I'm pretty sure that with vaccines requiring 2 shots, the second shot has to be the same vaccine, 4 weeks later I think. This might cause a problem if there aren't any supplies available. They could assign 2 shots per person from their inventory at the time the first shot is administered. That way the 2nd shot would be withheld from available inventory.

At my age I really don't want to wait any longer than necessary. I would like to see independent peer reviews, along with details of the raw data. That's not going to happen anytime soon though. I will put my faith in the FDA report, which should be coming out on Dec.10. The FDA's process is far more rigorous. They examine the raw data and look for anomalies between their conclusions and the vaccine producer. I also trust Health Canada to be thorough. They are notoriously cautious, but it does slow them down.
    https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...sible-12151178

Likes / Dislikes
    Thanks! I've been having a little gambol on Google and it seems that the next candidate, the Moderna vaccine, is reckoned to provide 90 days immunity too. However Dr Tony Fauci and other experts have said that they believe that the immune system will remember the virus, and if re-exposed to it will produce new antibodies. Further studies are needed to confirm this memory response.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/mode...-study-2333928

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    You should stand by 'it's not a Labour achievement'. It isn't a Labour achievement in the slightest. I'll stand by it's not a Tory achievement either. I'll also say it isn't a Post Office achievement, it isn't a coal miners achievement, it isn't a Peppa Pig achievement, it isn't a Piers Morgan achievement, it isn't a camel achievement. The list of people or things that didn't achieve it is almost endless. It's purely science. Not politics. Just science.

I agree they are foremost educated. A feather in the cap of the German education system. And in their immigration system. I've always said, and it has been proved over and over, that immigrants bring far more to a country than they take.

They became billionaires through achievement and canny backers. I'm not sure that was an American bank, but their particular talents were nurtured by wealthy pharma companies, definitely.

Again, as I've said on many previous occasions, there is nothing wrong with regulated capitalism. Unfettered, unregulated capitalism causes problems. It ends with austerity measures placed on those who didn't cause the problems in the first place. But I've no problem with anyone making their billions, as long as they pay tax and don't steal employees pension pots. More power to them. I'm absolutely OK with that.
    You got it.
    It is not a Labour achievement.

Likes / Dislikes

"While other vaccine makers have pledged not to profit from their jabs during the pandemic, Pfizer has taken a different stance. Treating it as a commercial opportunity, the company turned down research funding from the US government under its vaccine programme Operation Warp Speed, and used almost $2bn of its own money instead to develop the Covid-19 vaccine with Germany’s BioNTech.

However, the Mainz-based BioNTech received €375m (£335m) from the German government and a €100m loan from the European Investment Bank. BioNTech is tiny compared to Pfizer, with revenues of €109m last year compared with Pfizer’s $52bn.

The global poverty charity Oxfam said the vaccine would be “zero per cent effective to the people who can’t access or afford it”, and urged the companies to share their vaccine with other developers.

The rival US drugmaker Johnson & Johnson, along with AstraZeneca, which is developing a coronavirus vaccine in partnership with Oxford University, have both pledged to make their vaccines available on a not-for-profit basis during this pandemic. AstraZeneca, which is charging governments $3 to $5 a dose, also said last week that low-income countries would receive its vaccine on a cost basis “in perpetuity”.

The loss-making US biotech firm Moderna, which has received nearly $1bn in research funding from the US government, has priced its vaccine at $32 to $37 a shot."

https://www.theguardian.com/business...avirus-vaccine

FirstFirst ...
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations