UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast

Thread: Taking the knee

Likes / Dislikes

Taking the knee

Forgive if this subject has been previously discussed on the the forum. But I honestly cannot see it making a difference, I know that every little helps but surely the idiot racists are just laughing at the gesture.
    I think any form of racism is abhorrent, and think that more arrests should be made . Are these vile idiots just putting two finger up to the law .

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes

Arrow Taking the knee

"…the idiot racists are just laughing at the gesture. …"

The gesture is, presumably, intended to shame the government and officialdom generally, over complacency and inaction with respect of persistent structural racism.
    Laughing "idiot racists " behaviour in the short run is another problem.

4. Likes donkey22, seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post

"…the idiot racists are just laughing at the gesture. …"

The gesture is, presumably, intended to shame the government and officialdom generally, over complacency and inaction with respect of persistent structural racism.
    Laughing "idiot racists " behaviour in the short run is another problem.
    Yes I agree it is aimed at the authorities, but is it enough to make them do something, I would suggest the educating the youngsters would have a better impact , yes it would take time, but surely education is the answer.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassroots. View Post
    Yes I agree it is aimed at the authorities, but is it enough to make them do something, I would suggest the educating the youngsters would have a better impact , yes it would take time, but surely education is the answer.
    Seeing their footballing heroes make a gesture is part of that education.

7. Likes seivad, donkey22 liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassroots. View Post
    Children aren't born with racial bias, but once it has taken root it's very difficult to undo it. In some homes, they may learn it from their parents way before they attend school. In other homes, parents may not have any bias to transfer to their children, but once they start school they may learn it from their peers. In my opinion, the earlier they are taught that racial bias is wrong, the better. Don't wait until they start school. Arm them with the truth before they encounter the ugly bigotry that still exists in our society.

For those children who have already learned racial bias, the more examples of anti-racist actions they witness from their heroes, the better.

9. Likes donkey22, silver fox liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    We have been here before with token gestures and salutes,
    the black-gloved salutes at international sporting tournaments in the 1960's?

When we all accept that all people matter not just because they have a sporting or media presence to trade on we might get somewhere.

Likes / Dislikes
    Awareness is a good thing and racial equality is a must but I think we have got the message now after the government has ploughed over 50 million quid into black and ethnic minority business start up loans in London alone and made grants particularly for BAME, and now the police force is walking on eggshells when most of them are not racist anyway.

With not being racist it really baffles me this Black Lives Matter thing, it never occurred to me that any type of people’s lives don’t matter and to see folk saying black lives matter implies that they don’t, and we need to be made aware that they do. Ok I get it some people are racist and that but for those that are not, to be told this is frustrating, perplexing and even saddening, I can’t put my finger on it but it smacks of some sort of manipulation. I wonder where your donation really goes when you donate to BLM.
    I would now like the sports personalities to take the knee for the NHS, the victims of covid, the emergency services, the soldiers that never returned and the cyclists that didn’t make it through the red lights.

12. Likes said liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22 disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    The Premier League has had its own anti-racism schemes for a number of years now, “Kick it Out” and “No Room for Racism”.

The taking the knee, was started as far as I’m aware, following the killing of George Flloyd in America in the name of BLM.

BLM is a questionable group with aspersions to become a political party, those not familiar with with their views should read their web page.

While I fully support the anti-racism schemes I think the Premier league and Sky TV should distance themselves from the BLM movement and concentrate on promoting the No Room for Racism program.

14. Likes said liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by MICK/GILLY View Post
    Awareness is a good thing and racial equality is a must but I think we have got the message now after the government has ploughed over 50 million quid into black and ethnic minority business start up loans in London alone and made grants particularly for BAME, and now the police force is walking on eggshells when most of them are not racist anyway.

With not being racist it really baffles me this Black Lives Matter thing, it never occurred to me that any type of people’s lives don’t matter and to see folk saying black lives matter implies that they don’t, and we need to be made aware that they do. Ok I get it some people are racist and that but for those that are not, to be told this is frustrating, perplexing and even saddening, I can’t put my finger on it but it smacks of some sort of manipulation. I wonder where your donation really goes when you donate to BLM.
    I would now like the sports personalities to take the knee for the NHS, the victims of covid, the emergency services, the soldiers that never returned and the cyclists that didn’t make it through the red lights.
    I can understand why people in the UK have a problem with BLM. BLM is a US-centric thing. While racism does exist in the UK, it doesn't even bear comparison to the US, where black lives often really don't matter. It's evidenced in every facet of most African American lives. Their history is strewn with bodies and socio-economic disadvantage. The body count may have decreased today, but Jim Crow is still alive and well in many parts of the country. For the majority of them, equality is a prize that still remains far out of reach.

In the UK it took off as a means of showing support for BLM in the wake of George Floyd's death. I guess it's snowballed since then. I do question whether racism in the UK warrants the often disproportionate response from BLM.

16. Likes donkey22 liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Steed View Post
    The Premier League has had its own anti-racism schemes for a number of years now, “Kick it Out” and “No Room for Racism”.

The taking the knee, was started as far as I’m aware, following the killing of George Flloyd in America in the name of BLM.

BLM is a questionable group with aspersions to become a political party, those not familiar with with their views should read their web page.

While I fully support the anti-racism schemes I think the Premier league and Sky TV should distance themselves from the BLM movement and concentrate on promoting the No Room for Racism program.
    Taking the knee began long before poor George Floyd. Colin Kapernik started a passive protest during the singing of the US national anthem at games as he said it did not represent the land of the free for all. At first he stayed sitting, then was persuaded that kneeling was a less offensive gesture. Apparently it triggered some people who really need to examine their motivations for objecting to such a relatively simple act. He has paid a heavy price for such audacity.

After Floyd's murder live on TV BLM became a handy slogan as a vehicle for people's outrage. Apparently, the same people who objected to taking a knee found the words Black Lives Matter a step too far. Rather childishly they countered with All Lives Matter.
    For me the slogan rather than the movement is what matters. I can't help feeling that the criticism of the movement is an attempt to belittle the sentiment. It's as if some people can't even allow that much for fear of whites being slain in their beds ( a typical far right reaction to anything that even mildly threatens their perceived superior position) If you can't even agree that black lives matter the same as white lives you are a racist.
    I agree with Seivad that it doesn't have the same resonance in the UK but in terms of supporting racial equity it works for me.
    Last edited by joan ofarc; 29/12/2020 at 06:10 PM.

Likes / Dislikes
    It shows how far we have to go in our society when all lives matter is considered childish by some and then a rather ridiculous assertion that we fear being slaughtered in our beds.

We do have a long way to go to rout out the closet racists in our society.

Leaving the xenophobic white supremacist EU will be good for us.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    We have been here before with token gestures and salutes,
    the black-gloved salutes at international sporting tournaments in the 1960's?

When we all accept that all people matter not just because they have a sporting or media presence to trade on we might get somewhere.
    The people using their celebrity status are so doing because they, unlike the ordinary Joe, can broadcast a message to a large number of people. It's an important message, and the younger generation are more likely to listen to them. Nothing and nobody will ever change the viewpoints of the majority of old leopards.

I agree with you that acceptance that all people's lives matter has to be the ultimate objective. I hate labels, and would love to see the day when we no longer label people according to colour/creed/nationality/sex etc. Until that day comes, I'm afraid that labelling those who are different than us and often treated unequally, is a necessary evil to bring attention to their plight.

Do you see this Utopia happening anytime soon? Or ever? I'm afraid that, like Napoleon the pig, we will always revert to our true nature.

Likes / Dislikes
    It shows how far we have to go in our society when all lives matter is considered childish by some and then a rather ridiculous assertion that we fear being slaughtered in our beds.

I take it that you weren't born before you joined the EU? Or just a small child with no comprehension of the society you lived in? The racism in the UK was appalling. You've come a long way since those 'good old days'

21. Likes donkey22, silver fox liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

If all lives matter that must include black lives when clearly it doesn't. How come you can't even allow the singling out of black lives for attention? Can you not agree that black lives have never mattered as much as white lives in some times in history and in some places in the present day. Can you not even give them that much recognition? How very childish. Is giving equality to one group taking away yours?
    Why are you so defensive about this subject? Do you think that acknowledging that some people are racist makes you one?
    You obviously didn't notice that that I mentioned the typical over reaction of the far right to even the slightest raising up of black people. Check out their forums... you'll see I have been understating their fears.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by joan ofarc View Post
    If all lives matter that must include black lives when clearly it doesn't. How come you can't even allow the singling out of black lives for attention? Can you not agree that black lives have never mattered as much as white lives in some times in history and in some places in the present day. Can you not even give them that much recognition? How very childish. Is giving equality to one group taking away yours?
    Why are you so defensive about this subject? Do you think that acknowledging that some people are racist makes you one?
    You obviously didn't notice that that I mentioned the typical over reaction of the far right to even the slightest raising up of black people. Check out their forums... you'll see I have been understating their fears.

If I single out one group above another I miss the discrimination suffered by so many others.

When I am told I should consider a persons suffering by the colour of their skin I know I should be uncomfortable.

When I look back through recent history at the horrendous suffering and wrongful deaths in the world having black skin does not feature highly in the top ten.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations