UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

1. The PNP says:15/01/2021 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    The problem is use.

The call has been made for separate cycle lanes for years but so often they remain little used or empty where they are provided.
    The few isolated bits that have been provided, are welcomed by those who use them.....But until there's a joined-up network of safe routes, you'll not tempt others out on bikes in significantly larger numbers.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

Your Comments:

3. sandGroundZero says:15/01/2021 10:25 AM
    Policy makers whose job is to devise solutions to current and potential future problems have recognized that automobile usage for local journeys burdens us all with unacceptable levels of various health damaging pollutants. The PM when he was Mayor of London promoted cycling; ministers in his government acknowledge the effective solution is to encourage alternative modes of transportation.
    The biggest obstacle is that the Conservative party is dominated by reactionary (mostly old) fogeys:

The excitement of the Conservative Party Conference was too much handle for some guests (Picture: PA/Getty)

________________________________________________________________________________________

15/01/2021 09:40 AM local says:
    The problem is use. | The call has been made for separate cycle lanes for years but so often they remain little used or empty where they are provided. | The people that promote cycling have clearly failed in this town maybe it's time they stood aside.

4. Likes The PNP liked this post
  5. libraryguy says:15/01/2021 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    Why would it close?
    It's not as if everyone who attended parked in Hoghton St
    The loss of a couple of dozen parking spaces shouldn't affect a several hundred capacity theatre unduly.
    Erm... well actually they did use Hoghton Street, cos I've used it. What about the elderly? Can't even drop them off and they'd have to stand there waiting for their lift in cold weather possibly.

Bloody madness
    Last edited by libraryguy; 15/01/2021 at 11:02 AM.

6. condemnation says:15/01/2021 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by roving-eye View Post
    Local Campaigners have been ‘disappointed but unsurprised’ by the announcement this week that the cycle lane project introduced down Hoghton Street and Queens Road last summer will now be expanded to include areas of Churchtown, Crossens and Birkdale Village.

As part of this expansion, lanes will also be installed connecting the town centre to Crossens and Churchtown going North and Birkdale Village going South.

The lanes have come under severe criticism from many residents, but perhaps most of all from the local Conservative group who see this scheme as yet another nail in the coffin of Southport’s high- street and small businesses.

Thomas de Freitas, a Conservative Campaigner in Meols Ward had this to say;

‘Many of us in the Conservative group warned as soon as these lanes were introduced that they would be damaging to local businesses and we have been proven right ever since.

‘In areas where parking was already limited and footfall already severely reduced by the pandemic, Labour Councillors have once again voted to reduce this parking availability even further and in the case of Queens Road block traffic from using the road entirely.

‘I will continue to campaign, with my colleagues, to see that members of the Council and our representatives in Meols are held to account for this decision.’

Lee Durkin, who campaigns for the Conservative Party in Birkdale added;

‘I’ve spoken with many residents on this issue and the response is unanimous, they don’t want cycle lanes introduced into the Village.

‘I warned last year that the Liberal Democrats would not stop the introduction of these lanes and our Liberal Democrat Councillors condemned me, but this latest announcement I feel tells residents all they need to know about their ability to stand up for local interests.

‘My colleague Thomas, now faces exactly the same situation in Meols, where there is no support for this decision, the lanes are being introduced and there are three Liberal Councillors who appear happy to stand idly by while these decisions are made for them.’

Sinclair D’Albuquerque, a Conservative Campaigner who has been vocal campaigning to remove these lanes since the Summer;

‘It’s disappointing to see the scrutiny and subsequent review we, and residents in Southport, have campaigned for undermined by further investment into making these lanes more permanent.

‘Sefton Council are sending a clear message that they are determined to ignore the wishes of people in Southport and disregard their best interest. Instead opting to force through this project.

‘Southport residents absolutely see through this and I believe they will express their dissatisfaction at a lack of strong representatives at the local elections when they are held later this year.’

Finally, the Conservative Campaigner for Dukes Ward, Mike Prendergast supported this saying;

‘There is little to no demand for this scheme from residents and businesses in Dukes Ward, I personally delivered 200 surveys on the issue specifically and received exactly 1 back indicating support for these cycle lanes!

The existing cycle lanes were hastily installed and have adversely affected those living and working nearby and were supposed to be subject to review but now it sounds as if the existing lanes will remain and that any proposed review was in name only.

The proposed new lanes in Dukes will simply exacerbate parking issues in Dukes around Smedley Hydro, which I have previously, successfully, campaigned to help alleviate.’

Residents will be able to have their say in the summer over how they feel their local councillors have handled the situation when they go to the Polls currently set to be held in May.
    Absolutely wonderful news! and i do hope that the people who are taking down cycle bolards are arrested for there Pure mindless vandalism, also the people who park there cars in the cycle land

7. Likes The PNP liked this post
  8. The PNP says:15/01/2021 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy View Post
    Erm... well actually they did use Hoghton Street, cos I've used it. What about the elderly? Can't even drop them off and they'd have to stand there waiting for their lift in cold weather pobsibly.

Bloody madness
    Well, I've never known taxis to pay much attention to yellow lines or cycle-lanes....they park all over the one on London St by the Station!

9. salus.populi says:15/01/2021 11:31 AM
    Erm... well actually they did use Hoghton Street, cos I've used it. What about the elderly? Can't even drop them off and they'd have to stand there waiting for their lift in cold weather possibly.

Bloody madness
    I'm not doubting that some Little Theatre goers parked in Hoghton St, I'm saying it would be impossible for all of them to have parked in Hoghton St.
    No reason why those who can't walk round the corner couldn't be dropped off at the door just as they've always had to do if the parking spaces outside were already occupied.

10. Likes The PNP liked this post
  11. libraryguy says:15/01/2021 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    I'm not doubting that some Little Theatre goers parked in Hoghton St, I'm saying it would be impossible for all of them to have parked in Hoghton St.
    No reason why those who can't walk round the corner couldn't be dropped off at the door just as they've always had to do if the parking spaces outside were already occupied.
    But isn't it illegal to park on a cycles lane with a continuous white line?

Rule 140 of the Highway Code clearly states: Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable.

Or are you advocating vehicles stop in the middle of the road and stop the traffic behind them?

Cyclists and their enablers on Sefton Council will be the death of this town.

12. Dislikes N/A disliked this post
  13. MICK/GILLY says:15/01/2021 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    A) What else can you call people who repeatedly call for removal of cycle-lanes and calling themselves 'campaigners'....?

B) Well, thousands did switch back to bikes, digging out and dusting off their old ones from sheds and garages. Meanwhile, those who had no bikes, were cleaning out every bike shop in the area. Btw, removing the new bike-lanes would cost even more money.

No, I'm not a Councillor and I don't manufacture bikes. We were (our cycling group) outside the Town Hall waving banners, supporting a vote on 20mph limits and attended the Area Committee meeting being held that night.
    A. Realists
    B. These words paint a rosy picture but thousands no maybe a handful and them bikes are safely locked away back in sheds now gathering cobwebs until summer, what with this ice weather .
    Removing the mistake that is bike lanes now before they make more would reassure the 199 people out of 200 that expressed that they didn’t want this that the majority were being listened to or even given the chance to comment the remaining 1 is you I bet.
    Yea the whole thing is an expensive nonesense that will kill the town and as much as you like riding your bike you know this as much as anyone else but your hobby to you overrides realism.

14. Likes libraryguy liked this post
  15. sandGroundZero says:15/01/2021 12:19 PM
    libraryguy says:
    What is needed is a joined up approach where
    1. all forms of transport use the road network.
    2. NOT demonising motor vehicles and eradicating them from the town centre.
    3. Make Lord Street one-way and …the town centre …a ghost town.
    The supposition that vehicles are to be eliminated from the town centre to make way for "the cycling uneducated who want clear roads " is gross hyperbole; far from it.

The objective is to make town centres more attractive for everyone.

16. Likes N/A liked this post
  17. salus.populi says:15/01/2021 03:01 PM
    But isn't it illegal to park on a cycles lane with a continuous white line?

Rule 140 of the Highway Code clearly states: Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable.

Or are you advocating vehicles stop in the middle of the road and stop the traffic behind them?

Cyclists and their enablers on Sefton Council will be the death of this town.
    I didn't say park. I said pick up and drop off which is perfectly legal.
    Failing that use the "in" and "out" slip road that serves the theatre behind Victoria House to drop them off.
    Last edited by salus.populi; 15/01/2021 at 05:54 PM.

18. Likes N/A, donkey22, onehorsetown2 liked this post
  19. Sap33 says:15/01/2021 08:45 PM
    Well, ramp it up. Go ahead! Southport will just be a ghost town you pass through on the way to other locations. People will just move away to where they can use their cars. Just so you can have empty street for your minority cycling idiots.

Still, it'll give you the joy of ignoring as many red lights as you like and cycling the wrong way along one-way streets.

You're all MAD
    You make it sound like it's only Southport that is getting the cycle lanes. It's not, it's a national thing, funded by Central Government.

As for 'the joy of ignoring red lights', you'll find that it's such a prevalent offence amongst motorists that there's a lot of junctions that actually have cameras there!

20. Likes N/A, The PNP, donkey22 liked this post
  21. The PNP says:16/01/2021 10:59 AM
    Always such frantic dissent, whenever cycling infrastructure comes up. E.g. a cycle-route across the dunes was stopped by a petition against it, even though it used no roadspace at all. Why should that be?

Perhaps, far from believing cycle-routes will be unused, it's actually fear of the 'London effect'. Where, thanks to introducing cycle-superhighways, numbers of riders have shot up.......In the case of the dune path cycle scheme, objectors cited cost, unsuitability of proposed surfacing, that path would be too wide, etc. However, a dog walker I encountered on the route told me the true reason: 'we don't want them here'.

Now, motorists aren't best known for their love of cyclists. Indeed, most of them consider bikes to be a nuisance. Imo it's not the cost of paint and a few bollards, or loss of a small number of parking spaces that's behind these vehement objections. But a general reluctance of the motoring fraternity, to encourage more bikes onto the roads.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations