UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

1. Published on: 14/01/2021 09:21 AMReported by: roving-eye
    Local campaigners have been ‘disappointed but unsurprised’ by the announcement this week that the cycle lane project introduced down Hoghton Street and Queens Road last summer will now be expanded to include areas of Churchtown, Crossens and Birkdale Village.

As part of this expansion, lanes will also be installed connecting the town centre to Crossens and Churchtown going North and Birkdale Village going South.

The lanes have come under severe criticism from many residents, but perhaps most of all from the local Conservative group who see this scheme as yet another nail in the coffin of Southport’s high- street and small businesses.

Thomas de Freitas, a Conservative campaigner in Meols Ward had this to say: "‘Many of us in the Conservative group warned as soon as these lanes were introduced that they would be damaging to local businesses and we have been proven right ever since.

"In areas where parking was already limited and footfall already severely reduced by the pandemic, Labour Councillors have once again voted to reduce this parking availability even further and in the case of Queens Road block traffic from using the road entirely.

"I will continue to campaign, with my colleagues, to see that members of the Council and our representatives in Meols are held to account for this decision."

Lee Durkin, who campaigns for the Conservative Party in Birkdale added: "I’ve spoken with many residents on this issue and the response is unanimous, they don’t want cycle lanes introduced into the village.

"I warned last year that the Liberal Democrats would not stop the introduction of these lanes and our Liberal Democrat Councillors condemned me, but this latest announcement I feel tells residents all they need to know about their ability to stand up for local interests.

"My colleague Thomas, now faces exactly the same situation in Meols, where there is no support for this decision, the lanes are being introduced and there are three Liberal Councillors who appear happy to stand idly by while these decisions are made for them."

Sinclair D’Albuquerque, a Conservative campaigner who has been vocal campaigning to remove these lanes since the summer added: "It’s disappointing to see the scrutiny and subsequent review we, and residents in Southport, have campaigned for undermined by further investment into making these lanes more permanent.

"Sefton Council are sending a clear message that they are determined to ignore the wishes of people in Southport and disregard their best interest. Instead opting to force through this project.

"Southport residents absolutely see through this and I believe they will express their dissatisfaction at a lack of strong representatives at the local elections when they are held later this year."

Finally, the Conservative campaigner for Dukes Ward, Mike Prendergast commented in support: "There is little to no demand for this scheme from residents and businesses in Dukes Ward. I delivered 200 surveys on the issue specifically and received exactly one back indicating support for these cycle lanes!

"The existing cycle lanes were hastily installed and have adversely affected those living and working nearby and were supposed to be subject to review but now it sounds as if the existing lanes will remain and that any proposed review was in name only.

"The proposed new lanes in Dukes will simply exacerbate parking issues in Dukes around Smedley Hydro, which I have previously successfully campaigned to help alleviate."

Residents can have their say in the summer over how they feel their local councillors have handled the situation when they go to the polls currently set to be held in May.

2. Likes onehorsetown2, ell liked this post
    Dislikes The PNP disliked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

Your Comments:

4. The PNP says:14/01/2021 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by roving-eye View Post
    Local Campaigners have been ‘disappointed but unsurprised’ by the announcement this week that the cycle lane project introduced down Hoghton Street and Queens Road last summer will now be expanded to include areas of Churchtown, Crossens and Birkdale Village.
    Local campaigners? Only 'campaigners' I know of, are the many concerned members of our local cycling groups, who have been asking for protection like this for many years.....

Perhaps these 'disappointed' individuals should first ask themselves why 97% of local journeys are made by car? Or why there's an obesity epidemic amongst residents? Or why residents when asked, are so fearful of using their bikes?

Just what are these 'campaigners' motives, in so doggedly opposing a simple scheme designed to encourage healthier lifestyles, to reduce unnecessary car use, to reduce air pollution, and to cut damaging CO2 greenhouse emissions?
    Last edited by The PNP; 14/01/2021 at 05:24 PM.

5. Likes donkey22, onehorsetown2, Sap33 liked this post
  6. salus.populi says:14/01/2021 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by roving-eye View Post

Thomas de Freitas, a Conservative Campaigner in Meols Ward had this to say;
    ... in the case of Queens Road block traffic from using the road entirely.
    That's a lie. Traffic can enter Queens Road from 7 side roads and then travel along its length.

Finally, the Conservative Campaigner for Dukes Ward, Mike Prendergast supported this saying;

‘There is little to no demand for this scheme from residents and businesses in Dukes Ward, I personally delivered 200 surveys on the issue specifically and received exactly 1 back indicating support for these cycle lanes!

But for balance, how many of the 200 did he get back objecting to the lanes? 0? 1? 100? I live in Dukes Ward, I didn't receive a survey from Mr Prendergast which isn't surprising as there are a damn site more than 200 residences and businesses in Dukes Ward.

As for Mr Hot Dog Jumping Frog Alburquerque it seems his loyal customers cannot be bothered walking around the corner to get to his restaurant nor does he want to give up his car parking space on his restaurant frontage so that it could be used as a pick up and drop off point for those incapable of walking around the corner.

You can never expect truth from a Tory.

7. Likes The PNP, donkey22, onehorsetown2, Sap33 liked this post
  8. said says:14/01/2021 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    That's a lie. Traffic can enter Queens Road from 7 side roads and then travel along its length.

But for balance, how many of the 200 did he get back objecting to the lanes? 0? 1? 100? I live in Dukes Ward, I didn't receive a survey from Mr Prendergast which isn't surprising as there are a damn site more than 200 residences and businesses in Dukes Ward.

As for Mr Hot Dog Jumping Frog Alburquerque it seems his loyal customers cannot be bothered walking around the corner to get to his restaurant nor does he want to give up his car parking space on his restaurant frontage so that it could be used as a pick up and drop off point for those incapable of walking around the corner.

H!Ha! You think any Politician tells the truth? Which ones are up for a Sainthood this year?

9. Likes onehorsetown2 liked this post
  10. salus.populi says:14/01/2021 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    H!Ha! You think any Politician tells the truth? Which ones are up for a Sainthood this year?
    Well even if you believe that to be true it doesn't excuse lies.
    But then you're a proven liar yourself so obviously your standards are lower than mine.

11. Likes donkey22, N/A liked this post
  12. donkey22 says:14/01/2021 07:21 PM
    Great news! Thank you Sefton Council.

13. Likes onehorsetown2 liked this post
  14. MICK/GILLY says:14/01/2021 08:32 PM
    Why are some councillors going against the obvious grain, who stands idly by watching this fall into place, if the public, the businesses and parking concessions and everyone are loosing out not benefiting from this it might be time to think who is ....and why/how.

15. The PNP says:14/01/2021 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MICK/GILLY View Post
    A) Why are some councillors going against the obvious grain, who stands idly by watching this fall into place,

B) if the public, the businesses and parking concessions and everyone are losing out not benefiting from this, it might be time to think who is ....and why/how.
    A) Probably because they realise our planet is in deep trouble, and know that CO2 levels along with global temperatures are heading into dangerous territory. I'm sure the anti-cyclist 'campaigners' know it too, but choose to put their own selfish short-term political gain, before care for our environment.

B) Who benefits? Why, all the thousands of residents who switched to bikes last Spring, during the first big lockdown of course....With roads virtually devoid of cars, the town felt so much safer to cycle in. Predictably, as the cars came back, the bikes went in. Obvious then, that people aren't using bikes because they have to risk it in traffic, because they don't feel safe - these are the people who will benefit.

16. Likes onehorsetown2, donkey22 liked this post
  17. libraryguy says:14/01/2021 09:54 PM
    Madness! Little Theatre will close all because of the bike fanatics.

Bikes are not the be-all and end-all.

Cycling idiots along with Sefton Council idiots are killing Southport

Have you bike lanes - they'll be a road to nowhere.

18. Likes Kafoozalum liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22, The PNP disliked this post
  19. justbecause says:14/01/2021 10:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post

Which just goes to prove how utterly pointless and futile it is barring entry to Queens Road from Park Crescent and Manchester Road.

20. TDM900 says:14/01/2021 11:03 PM
    All I know is that the same amount of traffic is diverted onto other roads which which is causing more chaos. People travelling from out of town have to use their cars to get to work and for shopping, no consideration seems to be given to them. The cycling brigade seem to think they are some sort of elite who can dictate to the rest of us, without any sort of discussion on the subject. It would be interesting to know what sort of chaos is being planned for Birkdale, Churchtown and Crossens areas. It'll be another case of 'spot the cyclist'

21. Likes libraryguy liked this post
  22. MICK/GILLY says:15/01/2021 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    A) Probably because they realise our planet is in deep trouble, and know that CO2 levels along with global temperatures are heading into dangerous territory. I'm sure the anti-cyclist 'campaigners' know it too, but choose to put their own selfish short-term political gain, before care for our environment.

B) Who benefits? Why, all the thousands of residents who switched to bikes last Spring, during the first big lockdown of course....With roads virtually devoid of cars, the town felt so much safer to cycle in. Predictably, as the cars came back, the bikes went in. Obvious then, that people aren't using bikes because they have to risk it in traffic, because they don't feel safe - these are the people who will benefit.
    A ). Old shite rhetoric, no one is against common sense, I have never heard of anti cyclist campaigners and there’s not many out on bikes this morning in the global warming freezing ice .

B ). It’s a bit over egging it trying to convince us that THOUSANDS have switched to bikes around Southport because of this costly town and business killing none sense and covid, no nobody will buy that when most are against this when the country is in difficulty and there are pennies to be pinched and not wasted and most see it as a ridiculous and dangerous waste of public funds.

If you were to read between the lines of my post you would have seen that I was trying to imply that some with power who don’t oppose this stupid expense may have something personally to gain or to loose if they can’t push this and that the vast majority TENS OF THOUSANDS of residents don’t want their taxes wasted on and that those who stood idly by or promoted the idea might have some incognito incentive to go against the public grain of opinion or not want to ask them as they know the answer would be no, no thank you.

So for those that couldn’t read between the lines of my first post or comprehend this last paragraph then maybe they didn’t hold meetings for public opinion as the vast majority would have argued or laughed it away and they knew. Could it be that those minority that support this or stand idly by are misappropriating funds or getting backhanders from a private company that has something to do with making bicycle lanes. The whole thing stinks of skulduggery, years ago I remember a pic of you on here outside the town hall are you a councillor pushing this agenda?, does anyone amongst your family or friends own a bicycle lane making company.
    Last edited by MICK/GILLY; 15/01/2021 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

23. Likes libraryguy, justbecause liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22 disliked this post
  24. local says:15/01/2021 09:40 AM
    The problem is use.

The call has been made for separate cycle lanes for years but so often they remain little used or empty where they are provided.

The people that promote cycling have clearly failed in this town maybe it's time they stood aside.

25. salus.populi says:15/01/2021 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by libraryguy View Post
    Madness! Little Theatre will close all because of the bike fanatics.

Bikes are not the be-all and end-all.

Cycling idiots along with Sefton Council idiots are killing Southport

Have you bike lanes - they'll be a road to nowhere.
    Why would it close?
    It's not as if everyone who attended parked in Hoghton St
    The loss of a couple of dozen parking spaces shouldn't affect a several hundred capacity theatre unduly.

26. Likes The PNP, donkey22 liked this post
  27. The PNP says:15/01/2021 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MICK/GILLY View Post
    A ). Old shite rhetoric, no one is against common sense, I have never heard of anti cyclist campaigners and there’s not many out on bikes this morning in the global warming freezing ice .

B ). It’s a bit over egging it trying to convince us that THOUSANDS have switched to bikes around Southport because of this costly town and business killing none sense and covid, no nobody will buy that when most are against this when the country is in difficulty and there are pennies to be pinched and not wasted and most see it as a ridiculous and dangerous waste of public funds.

The whole thing stinks of skulduggery, years ago I remember a pic of you on here outside the town hall are you a councillor pushing this agenda?, does anyone amongst your family or friends own a bicycle lane making company.
    A) What else can you call people who repeatedly call for removal of cycle-lanes and calling themselves 'campaigners'....?

B) Well, thousands did switch back to bikes, digging out and dusting off their old ones from sheds and garages. Meanwhile, those who had no bikes, were cleaning out every bike shop in the area. Btw, removing the new bike-lanes would cost even more money.

No, I'm not a Councillor and I don't manufacture bikes. We were (our cycling group) outside the Town Hall waving banners, supporting a vote on 20mph limits and attended the Area Committee meeting being held that night.

28. Likes donkey22 liked this post
    Dislikes justbecause disliked this post

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations