UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

1. justbecause says:27/01/2021 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sap33 View Post
    Cyclists DO pay towards roads!

Roads are paid for through general taxation. Every penny I earn and every penny I spend gets taxed. These taxes pay for the roads!

What the uneducated think is 'car tax' is actually the vehicle excise licence, which relates to emissions, a lot of cars don't pay anything either!

If you want to class VEL as 'road tax', I pay for 2 cars and a motorbike. As I can only use one thing at a time, when I'm out on my pushbike, I reckon it's pretty fair to say I have paid my fair share towards the roads!
    It’s a bit of an exaggeration to say that every penny you earn and spend gets taxed.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

Your Comments:

3. Sap33 says:27/01/2021 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justbecause View Post
    It’s a bit of an exaggeration to say that every penny you earn and spend gets taxed.
    Ok, I'll give you the first £12.5 k I don't pay tax on, but I'll off set that against the 40% higher tax bracket I pay on £6k of my wages.

The point is though, despite what the motoring fraternity say, as a cyclist I pay my fair share for the roads!

4. r4dent says:27/01/2021 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    Fact is, a sizeable number of people would be prepared use a bike, if only their fear of injury/death in traffic was adequately addressed. It's the No.1 reason people give, when you ask, for avoiding bike use.
    I like a good fact. Can you give us a link to the original source?

Thanks

5. salus.populi says:27/01/2021 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Billd View Post
    That would be all well and good if cyclists actually paid something towards roads etc as all other road users do.
    Staggering ignorance.

6. Likes Sap33, donkey22 liked this post
  7. local says:27/01/2021 09:49 PM
    Cyclists DO pay towards roads!

Roads are paid for through general taxation. Every penny I earn and every penny I spend gets taxed. These taxes pay for the roads!

What the uneducated think is 'car tax' is actually the vehicle excise licence, which relates to emissions, a lot of cars don't pay anything either!

If you want to class VEL as 'road tax', I pay for 2 cars and a motorbike. As I can only use one thing at a time, when I'm out on my pushbike, I reckon it's pretty fair to say I have paid my fair share towards the roads!

It's common misunderstanding cyclists pay absolutely nothing to use the roads.

This is very handy for children and non-tax-payers who can go out on their bikes with no training, no insurance, tax, or any safety check or equipment.

Same as walking.

8. Dislikes Sap33, donkey22 disliked this post
  9. Sap33 says:27/01/2021 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    It's common misunderstanding cyclists pay absolutely nothing to use the roads.

This is very handy for children and non-tax-payers who can go out on their bikes with no training, no insurance, tax, or any safety check or equipment.

Same as walking.
    Well if you pay taxes, (Non tax payers will STILL pay taxes on things they buy, there's this thing called VAT!), you'll pay for the pavements that you walk on!

The big difference when it comes to training, (Something I do think everyone needs by the way) Is that in a car, you're responsible for over a ton of metal, capable of travelling at the sort of speeds that can and often does cause death and serious injury. There have been cases where pedestrians have died or been seriously injured when hit by cyclists, (From what I can find it's less than 25 deaths in 7 years and 700 accidents)

By lack of 'safety checks' and 'tax' By that I'm assuming an MOT (something cars don't need until they're 3 years old and stop needing after 40!) and as for the 'tax' bit, a lot of cars don't pay VEL either as, like cycles, they don't pollute.

Equipment? I wear a helmet and I think it should be compulsory, but at the moment it's not, so a bit of a non argument.

10. Likes donkey22 liked this post
  11. local says:28/01/2021 10:32 AM
    So as a cyclist I don't pay anything to cycle why complicate it?

Cycling is great exercise and almost impact-free on the environment it just doesn't work so well on roads.

12. sandGroundZero says:28/01/2021 11:37 AM
    28/01/2021 10:32 AM local says:
    So as a cyclist I don't pay anything to cycle why complicate it? | Cycling is great exercise and almost impact-free on the environment it just doesn't work so well on roads.
    For many, cycling is not a recreational pastime; it's our means of commuting, shopping & generally getting about. You cannot exclude us from the roads for the convenience of motorists!

13. Likes Sap33, donkey22 liked this post
  14. Sap33 says:28/01/2021 12:07 PM
    So as a cyclist I don't pay anything to cycle why complicate it?

Cycling is great exercise and almost impact-free on the environment it just doesn't work so well on roads.
    It works perfectly well on the roads, provided ALL road users follow the rules and look out for each other.

15. Likes donkey22 liked this post
  16. ear01 says:28/01/2021 12:44 PM
    Remember the cycle lane they installed on Fairway? I seem to think that cost £250,000? for what? Money well spent? Nice wide road like that with plenty of room for both cyclist and motorist and they do that.
    As for the Houghton Street debacle what a joke i really do feel for the local businesses of this town...and no consultation...that stinks of corruption to me.
    Southport is becoming (Sorry has become) a very sad picture in terms of retail and I'm not talking in relation to the lockdown etc.
    Taking away parking spaces (Sorry pay and display spaces) to install cycle lanes are not good for Southport...another nail in the coffin!

I'm both a cyclist and a motorist. My personal experience of using cylcle lanes are not good often littered with glass etc etc and they actually slow you down. As a motorist without going into detail, cycle lanes (Not just in southport) can cause confusion and congestion.

17. Likes Anon, libraryguy liked this post
    Dislikes donkey22 disliked this post
  18. sandGroundZero says:28/01/2021 03:43 PM
    28/01/2021 12:44 PM ear01 says:
    Remember the cycle lane they installed on Fairway? I seem to think that cost £250,000? for what? Money well spent? Nice wide road like that with plenty of room for both cyclist and motorist and they do that. | As for the Houghton Street debacle what a joke i really do feel for the local businesses of this town...and no consultation...that stinks of corruption to me.

Southport is becoming (Sorry has become) a very sad picture in terms of retail and I'm not talking in relation to the lockdown etc. | Taking away parking spaces (Sorry pay and display spaces) to install cycle lanes are not good for Southport...another nail in the coffin!

I'm both a cyclist and a motorist. My personal experience of using cylcle lanes are not good often littered with glass etc etc and they actually slow you down. As a motorist without going into detail, cycle lanes (Not just in southport) can cause confusion and congestion.
    1. Fairway features in development plans; it is specifically mentioned in the Southport Development Framework dated October 2016 as a potential location for a major visitor attraction development (p20, Southoprt Development Framework). In the meantime, the cycle path is a leg in cyclists' circumnavigation of the Marine Lake. Think of it as widening the roadway.
    2. The suggestion of "corruption" seems quite unwarranted; the explanation given is in keeping with what we know of central government's statute and regulations. Emergency Active Travel was deemed to be a matter of urgency.
    3. Southport's retail business are no more distressed than those of other towns and cities for reasons that are discussed regularly in the media. Business proprietors seem to be grasping at straws with their complaints.
    4. I can think of no village, town or city wherein parking is regarded as a free good. If you imagine that edge of town retail sheds' parking is free, remember the adage: "There is no such thing as a free lunch".

Footpaths & cycle lanes like other rights of way are generally poorly maintained. However the future of England's towns and cities demands a different approach For that reason Active Travel and assorted other initiatives are evolving. The imperative is to make urban living healthier and otherwise more congenial. The changes are underway. Be patient.
    Last edited by sandGroundZero; 28/01/2021 at 05:00 PM.

19. Likes donkey22 liked this post
  20. ear01 says:28/01/2021 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post
    28/01/2021 12:44 PM ear01 says:

1. Fairway features in development plans; it is specifically mentioned in the Southport Development Framework dated October 2016 as a potential location for a major visitor attraction development (p20, Southoprt Development Framework). In the meantime, the cycle path is a leg in cyclists' circumnavigation of the Marine Lake. Think of it as widening the roadway.
    2. The suggestion of "corruption" seems quite unwarranted; the explanation given is in keeping with what we know of central government's statute and regulations. Emergency Active Travel was deemed to be a matter of urgency.
    3. Southport's retail business are no more distressed than those of other towns and cities for reasons that are discussed regularly in the media. Business proprietors seem to be grasping at straws with their complaints.
    4. I can think of no village, town or city wherein parking is regarded as a free good. If you imagine that edge of town retail sheds' parking is free, remember the adage: "There is no such thing as a free lunch".

Footpaths & cycle lanes like other rights of way are generally poorly maintained. However the future of England's towns and cities demands a different approach For that reason Active Travel and assorted other initiatives are evolving. The imperative is to make urban living healthier and otherwise more congenial. The changes are underway. Be patient.
    1. AND that was back in 2016 and the seeds of decline were well and truly taking root then! To quote The Southport Development Framework 'Land in private ownership around the Marine Lake edgemay also provide scope for alternative visitor accommodation in the form of glamping orother similar use.
    As the land being used for 'Glamping' well thats one way of putting it. But thats another story.
    A cycle path circumnavigating Maring Lake? If that does come to fruition then...it a accident waiting to happen i.e a young child stepping out in front of a cyclist- who will be to blame then. Cycle paths and pedestrians 'Don't mix,' on the same piece of path/tarmac believe me i've seen it!

Yes i probably i did use to the word corupt a little too loosely. But not to consult local residents/buisness owners, I'll change that to total lack of respect or regard.

3. Yes no doubt they are but I'm talking about Southport. As for business proprietors grasping at straws? When you have major supermarket chains ie Tesco (And soon to be Sainsbury's taking root), outside of the town centre with free parking, thats one hell of a big straw! Just one of the many obstacles handed down by local government.

I just think we need to get back to basics before jumping ahead with elaborate frameworks or active this active that, because there isn't the full funding for this anyway. Repair the roads we've got, some of them are a danger pot holes etc.

Obviously we all have the interests of southport at heart. Stay safe.

21. Dislikes donkey22 disliked this post
  22. local says:28/01/2021 08:04 PM
    It works perfectly well on the roads, provided ALL road users follow the rules and look out for each other.

It clearly doesn't.

Putting a vulnerable unprotected cyclist in with tons of fast-moving metal has a hint of madness about it.

If you like I do wish to use your bike then take the risk and carry on, expecting everyone else to accommodate the least safe and slowest moving is a bit too selfish for me.

23. Dislikes donkey22, Sap33 disliked this post
  24. sandGroundZero says:28/01/2021 10:26 PM
    [28/01/2021 07:50 PM] ear01, to pick-up on one (actually, three) of your (sub-)points:
    1. "Yes no doubt they are but I'm talking about Southport" you are alluding I believe to: "Southport is becoming (Sorry has become) a very sad picture in terms of retail …"? In what sense does the retail decline you anticipate in Southport differ from other towns?

2. As for business proprietors grasping at straws? — my "grasping at straws" referred specifically to proprietors' assertions regarding the loss of on-street parking to cycle lanes. More general issues about PARKING provision are another kettle of fish!

3. When you have major supermarket chains ie Tesco (And soon to be Sainsbury's taking root), outside of the town centre with free parking, thats one hell of a big straw! Just one of the many obstacles handed down by local government.
      The issue of parking more generally is fraught with complicating factors.
      Historically, (especially urban) municipalities had scope to engage directly in the business functions which supplied their respective residents' services — utilities; transport; housing — which for a variety of reasons central governments progressively curtailed, along with any other potential revenue sources. To put it bluntly: central government has municipalities by the short and curlies. The centre has piled-on statutory duties and reduced municipalities' fiscal room for manoeuvre. It is regularly remarked in the red top print media that municipalities are gouging motorists with parking fees. It appears that that is precisely the way central government likes it. But, as my earlier post reminded you:
      There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Parking motor vehicles imposes external costs on the whole community. That is, parking spaces are a valuable commodity. The problems are ALL one way and another the result of excessive centralization. Arguing the impact of parking fees on (notably, retail) businesses is misplaced not least because the solutions require large scale reforms concerning the respective roles of central versus municipal government.
      So, Cllr. Pat Keith's quibble with Council Officers
      is another distraction from the real problems
      …and Councillors seem oblivious!

Cllr. Pat Keith

25. Likes donkey22 liked this post
  26. Sap33 says:28/01/2021 11:48 PM
    It clearly doesn't.

Putting a vulnerable unprotected cyclist in with tons of fast-moving metal has a hint of madness about it.

If you like I do wish to use your bike then take the risk and carry on, expecting everyone else to accommodate the least safe and slowest moving is a bit too selfish for me.
    I don’t expect other road users to accommodate me, but I would expect that road users (and I include cyclists as well as motorists!) follow the rules, nothing selfish there!

27. Likes ear01, donkey22 liked this post

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations