UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    Life can be difficult enough for Muslim women living in a Christian majority country without us publicly mocking them.

A very close friend of mine is Muslim. Although she has always worn Western dress and never worn head covering, either here or in her country of origin, she has tried the best she can to ensure that her two daughters don't experience some of the insults she has had to endure. Her name identifies her as a Muslim, so they decided to give their two daughters Christian names. Although neither of her daughters ever expressed a wish to wear a head covering, a couple of their friends decided to wear a hijab as a sign of commitment to their religion. She was terrified that her daughters would get the same idea. If they had, she would have fought them tooth and nail to stop them. It's sad that in order to minimise the chance of being on the receiving end of bigoted insults, you have to hide your religion.

I'm against women being forced to wear religious garb, but what right do we have to stop those who want to wear it? And what right do we have to mock/insult them? It doesn't impinge on our lives at all. Next time people see a woman wearing religious gear, think on. Chances are that it's her choice. We can't possibly know that.

Totally agree.
    Stressful for your friend though the worst worry is (our)daughters marrying a controlling partner and he comes in sheep's clothing!

Religiosity is sometimes a badge of honour proudly worn by nuns and other religions.

Religious women are revered in their strictly religious community.

Some spend their time visible some are invisible.
    Wearing clothing unique to a religious group is a statement.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Or more likely a good one who is prepared to discuss all aspects of religion so children, when they become adults, can make up their own minds as to which if any religion they wish to follow.

A religion that finds its god's picture offensive surely needs to have a rethink.
    What learning outcomes do you think this unjustly persecuted pedagogue achieved by showing his class a picture of Mohammed? Muslims will have learned that their values, beliefs and sensibilities count for nothing while non Muslims will have learned it is acceptable to offend and insult people of other religions.

4. Likes seivad liked this post
    Dislikes Darkside disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly Trott View Post
    What learning outcomes do you think this unjustly persecuted pedagogue achieved by showing his class a picture of Mohammed? Muslims will have learned that their values, beliefs and sensibilities count for nothing while non Muslims will have learned it is acceptable to offend and insult people of other religions.

Why pedantic, giving pupils an understanding of what is going on is surely good?

Supporting the values of a religion that issues fatwahs calling for the death of people who question it sounds a strange thing for you to support,

are you comfortable with these actions?

6. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    This is not about free speech. This is about a teacher not doing his job properly.

I know English teachers in the UK who in the days when Maths and Religious Studies were the only subjects required to be taught by law (is it still like that?) had to take RE classes to substitute for absentee colleagues. The policy of the school was to teach comparative religion and the teaching material was designed so that Moslems could learn about Christians, Sikhs about Hindus etc, without anyone being offended. It isn't rocket science.

The case in France was different. That was social studies and showing the cartoons was valid. To object was anti free speech.

8. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Commitment to a religion that threatens death?

Subjugates women and children?

To wear a garment that is entirely for marking women as property, no thanks.

Where's the support for women and their freedom.

Why would a Christian ignore the plight of women.

I am saying that any woman of any religion could suffer at the hands of an abusive family or partner.

There are women who feel great in revealing clothing and there are victims forced to wear clothing to attract customers for sex in prostitution.

Women do choose to wear the Burqa and women do not.
    The majority in the UK do have a choice.
    For those who do not I support the Muslim welfare women looking after their community improving helpline access.

Quote Local
    "
    Its an entirely reasonable observation in the same way that "Dog Collar" has entered the vernacular, the Churches and its followers have reacted reasonably to it's comparison.

To give any hint of support to a position backed by death threats is abhorrent to any reasonably-minded person who supports freedom of speech and in particular women's freedoms.

The difference is we don't make death threats to support our religious views.
    Johnson was and is entirely right to give his view, a neutered Politician is an affront to our freedom of speech and in this case long-suffering women across the world."

Christians' may still be offended by personal remarks on religious clothing or their practices without resorting to death threats.
    I put that down to 'turning the other cheek'.

It is also against the Law and breaks The Ten Commandments.

Likes / Dislikes
    Why pedantic, giving pupils an understanding of what is going on is surely good?

Supporting the values of a religion that issues fatwahs calling for the death of people who question it sounds a strange thing for you to support,

are you comfortable with these actions?
    What are the positive learning outcomes of deliberately offending Muslim students? As for fatwas I condemn those that promote violence and am unconcerned about those that offer an opinion on whether one should drink Coke or Pepsi. However no fatwa has been issued in relation to this teacher so not sure where you are going with this.

11. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    What are the positive learning outcomes of deliberately offending Muslim students? As for fatwas I condemn those that promote violence and am unconcerned about those that offer an opinion on whether one should drink Coke or Pepsi. However no fatwa has been issued in relation to this teacher so not sure where you are going with this.

We have a British culture - when people come to live among us they are a guest in our country and should respect our laws, culture and values. We have no blasphemy laws in this country, they were abolished many years ago for good reason.

You say that you condemn violence, but you are actually promoting it because this teacher has done nothing wrong legally nor morally, and yet a mob of middle aged men - most of whom did not have children in the school, held a violent protest just outside a primary school terrifying those in the school. This is an offence in this country and they should have all been arrested.

This mob were sanctioning their own country's beliefs, not those of the country to which they have chosen to come to. They were not respecting our laws! A cartoon of Mohammed was shown - no-one knows what reference was placed on that exhibit, but already they condemn an experienced teacher.

The hypocrisy is that they were a violent mob offended because a cartoon had been shown - where are their protests when Muslims are being bombed and killed in the Middle East?

13. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    This is not about free speech. This is about a teacher not doing his job properly.

I know English teachers in the UK who in the days when Maths and Religious Studies were the only subjects required to be taught by law (is it still like that?) had to take RE classes to substitute for absentee colleagues. The policy of the school was to teach comparative religion and the teaching material was designed so that Moslems could learn about Christians, Sikhs about Hindus etc, without anyone being offended. It isn't rocket science.

The case in France was different. That was social studies and showing the cartoons was valid. To object was anti free speech.

All teachers are expected to stand in for absent colleagues for whatever topic they are expected to cover. Teaching is no longer subjective, it is taught by blanket generalisation in recipe format, so it is an easy task for a lesson to be taught by anyone as a follow up from the previous lesson.

In a Christian society, Christianity takes precedence. But it is not to the exclusion of other religions. I remember being taught religion in our school, and if any student's parents had objected to the teaching they could request that their child be excluded. This at the time, included Jewish and Catholics, but our lesson went on just the same.

If I had attended an Islamic school in say - Pakistan, I most certainly would not expect Christianity to be taught as a priority. It probably would not even be mentioned. If I had been shown a cartoon of Jesus on the cross - I would not be offended for I would listen to understand the context of it's use. Mohammed has never been depicted, the only illustrations being those showing Mohammed as a Persian person. Generic pictures of Mohammed have constantly changed, Turkish depictions were banned, while Mohammed appeared as a Chinese person with flames around his head remained - who is to say if any are correct? The Shiite Muslims have more pictures of Mohammed yet Mohammed's parents were Pagan later Christian.

It is not 'Free Speech' which is the problem, it is the zealots of society who are. No-one else is bothered. That teacher may well have been teaching children to accept everything in context, and not to be offended simply because they misunderstand the complexities of culture.

The UK no longer has blasphemy laws. By allowing our laws to be changed via mob law - we are changing our culture to that of those living in a third world nation.

15. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    We have a British culture - when people come to live among us they are a guest in our country and should respect our laws, culture and values. We have no blasphemy laws in this country, they were abolished many years ago for good reason.

You say that you condemn violence, but you are actually promoting it because this teacher has done nothing wrong legally nor morally, and yet a mob of middle aged men - most of whom did not have children in the school, held a violent protest just outside a primary school terrifying those in the school. This is an offence in this country and they should have all been arrested.

This mob were sanctioning their own country's beliefs, not those of the country to which they have chosen to come to. They were not respecting our laws! A cartoon of Mohammed was shown - no-one knows what reference was placed on that exhibit, but already they condemn an experienced teacher.

The hypocrisy is that they were a violent mob offended because a cartoon had been shown - where are their protests when Muslims are being bombed and killed in the Middle East?
    Assuming your repeated description of a "violent mob" outside the school is correct it does not excuse what the teacher did. The teacher could have made the point without showing the image.

You repeat O'Neill's ( and everyone's) point that "we have no blasphemy laws in this country". This will explain why he hasn't been arrested for blasphemy. What the teacher was thought to have done was contravene their employer's disciplinary code and/ or their professional registration conditions. That is why they were suspended, on full pay, pending an investigation. That is different from breaking the law.

Gawd knows why or how you think I am "promoting violence". Care to expand?

17. Likes seivad liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Sorry but I can't switch my support for women and girls' rights on and off to avoid offending people who think it's perfectly reasonable to treat them like sh5t.

I cannot switch my belief that children should not be indoctrinated with religion by threat to appease horrible old men, you might I cannot.

If you are offended by seeing images good bad or indifferent of your god enough to disrupt a school and frighten its teachers and pupils then I suggest you have a problem not the teacher or the school.

Squashing dissent, free-thinking and speech by threat and force should be condemned by right-thinking people everywhere.

We are in a free country not a caliphate.

19. Likes Little Londoner, Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Local means keep 'caliphates' for Israel.

Likes / Dislikes
    Sorry but I can't switch my support for women and girls' rights on and off to avoid offending people who think it's perfectly reasonable to treat them like sh5t.

I cannot switch my belief that children should not be indoctrinated with religion by threat to appease horrible old men, you might I cannot.

If you are offended by seeing images good bad or indifferent of your god enough to disrupt a school and frighten its teachers and pupils then I suggest you have a problem not the teacher or the school.

Squashing dissent, free-thinking and speech by threat and force should be condemned by right-thinking people everywhere.

This country is the laughing stock of the world by allowing the hatred being spouted by immigrants to be allowed yet me you or any other British subject are vilified by the Liberals for having the audacity of having an opinion on anything.
    We have to ***** foot around illegal immigrants (who are supposedly refugees when the mainly young males get here) if they can't change their own countries they may as well come here and change ours.

Sorry Cats I am not allowed to call you PUSS with a Y now, see what I mean.

22. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    I detest this pull up the drawbridge mentality from both men and women in our country.

Yes you have your freedoms but don't let anyone else get them, its a nimby thinking for women, is it because their not white?

How can any one think its reasonable to support bullies.

Likes / Dislikes

Okkey cokkey, let me suggest a similar scenario to you that might help clarify the issue here. Supposing the teacher had been conducting a lesson on how pigs are regarded as unclean and spiritually polluting in Islam. Would you argue that it was good teaching to bring a pig into the classroom?

25. Likes seivad liked this post
    Dislikes Darkside disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Okkey cokkey, let me suggest a similar scenario to you that might help clarify the issue here. Supposing the teacher had been conducting a lesson on how pigs are regarded as unclean and spiritually polluting in Islam. Would you argue that it was good teaching to bring a pig into the classroom?

Yes! The teacher would have told the students that certain religions have specific beliefs, and those beliefs are held only by those who belong to that religion. While Christians do not hold the same beliefs - for here is a pig, do you see this animal as more unclean than any others? In the present day most animals have and are fed animal sourced foods

I would then explain about the difficulties once faced by Islamic and Jewish people in Australia, about Hindu and Buddhists etc., lessons are meant to be open learning.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations