UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    The vote for Labour has increased because so many Labour voters have moved into Southport from Liverpool. The number of Labour voters in Liverpool decreased substantially! The turn out was greatly decreased and Old Swan alone really took a hit on Labour. Ask any of the local people. The only way that Labour voters can be enticed into Southport is by cheap housing and cheap alcohol, before it was far too expensive in Southport. If the voters had any loyalty at all, they would never have left Liverpool. If Liverpool area council is undertaking the future planning of Southport so that Southport becomes like Liverpool - where will these voters move to then? Further into North Lancashire? That is Conservative held. Southport is a far better place under Conservative than Liverpool is under Labour - that is why the voters are moving out of Liverpool in the thousands. Hey, Don't kid yourself, Labour man!
    Usual garbage, I would doubt very much that many if any, move home for political reasons, this so called golden age when Southport was run by Conservatives, I take it this was the days of the red and cream buses which were old and knackered, when the rates were kept low by simply not investing in the town, when the town was living on past history.

Just remember Southport has never been an industrial town, no large scale manufacturing, surprising for you possibly there are probably more businesses located close by on the various industrial estates than there ever were in your rose tinted “golden age”.

The world, this country, this town are not as they were 50/60 years ago, not every change is an improvement, but looking backwards doesn’t work, never has, never will.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    You either have an extremely short memory or you are not a local person. The local people are very concerned. None of these plans have been discussed with local people.
    Tubbs is back! Are you local? This is a local shop for local people...

Only local people have eyes. Outsiders are immediately struck blind the second they cross Southport borders (which are in themselves an unknown to both outsiders and locals - where does Birkdale begin - THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED BOUNDARY STREET YOU FOOL!), rendering them completely unable to ascertain which improvements and changes the town needs. If you've never gnashed your teeth and wailed over the closure of the sea bathing pool, been moved to sweet tears of joy remembering a 'Pony Express' burger, or mentioned that the Palace Hotel was built the wrong way round, your opinion is of no consequence.

The only way that Labour voters can be enticed into Southport is by cheap housing and cheap alcohol, before it was far too expensive in Southport. If the voters had any loyalty at all, they would never have left Liverpool.
    But...but...aren't all Labour voters middle class metropolitan elites? Surely they'd fit right in with the residents of the leafy, sumptuous avenues of Bold Street, Bath Street and Derby Road? Meld effortlessly with the champagne quaffing Sandgrounders in 'Spoons and The Foghorn. Obviously they can only dream of attaining the social standing of those locals displaying ritzy elegance as they drape languorously across the lawn seats of Lord Street, expensive Special Brew in hand as they regale blind visitors with tales of needing spare change for a hot Lapsang Souchong. But they can dream, right?

Where do you live, by the way?

4. Likes salus.populi, donkey22 liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    If the voters had any loyalty at all, they would never have left Liverpool. If Liverpool area council is undertaking the future planning of Southport so that Southport becomes like Liverpool - where....
    Liverpool City Council has no say whatsoever in the planning of Southport, whether now or in the future.

You are probably getting confused (as indeed you are most of the time) with the Liverpool City Regional Authority, but this has no say in how or where residents may choose to live. Its mandate:

"The Liverpool City Regional Combined Authority's aim is to ensure that everyone benefits from the decisions it makes. It wants to create an environment which allows its economy to thrive for the good of everyone who lives and works in Liverpool City Region.

"It works together to make investments in areas that have a real impact on its communities, such as transport, employment, culture, digital and housing. By using its devolved powers it can make a real and meaningful difference to the lives of the people living and working in the area.

"The Combined Authority is led by Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram and brings together Liverpool City Region’s six local authorities – Halton, Knowsley, Liverpool, Sefton, St Helens and Wirral – to tackle the big issues that matter to all those in the area, together."

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post

Just remember Southport has never been an industrial town, no large scale manufacturing, surprising for you possibly there are probably more businesses located close by on the various industrial estates than there ever were in your rose tinted “golden age”.
    To be strictly accurate, that is not correct. Up to around the 1970s Southport had a wide variety of industrial and manufacturing centres over the years.

These included the Vulcan Motor Works, which had plants in Yellow House Lane and Hawwside Street before its move to a brand new factory in Crossens (later acquired by Brockhouse Engineering and then followed by firms such as Philips, Mullard, Dorman Smith, ICT etc.

Others have included the White Hudson sweet manufacturers, Chewits, a glove factory, the Roddy (later Blubell) doll factory in Tulketh Street, Latimers Engineering and similar production centres around the town.

Likes / Dislikes
    have you ever worked on a fairground?
    Good heavens, no. I've never been that desperate for work.
    I do however recall you bragging about how your job at the fairground made you attractive to so many young women. This was some time before "me too" became a thing and boasting about being a sexual predator went out of fashion.
    I take it you may have attended conferences with these chaps?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPv-Ftxvu6I

8. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Usual garbage, I would doubt very much that many if any, move home for political reasons, this so called golden age when Southport was run by Conservatives, I take it this was the days of the red and cream buses which were old and knackered, when the rates were kept low by simply not investing in the town, when the town was living on past history.

The world, this country, this town are not as they were 50/60 years ago, not every change is an improvement, but looking backwards doesn’t work, never has, never will.

Certainly true, Southport Corporation embedded decline by not investing, hell bent on chasing the lowest rates.

They did dodgy deal after dodgy deal to boot.

From Sand winning to golf course leases, planning deals the list is rather long.

Likes / Dislikes

Whose talking about the past? It is the future we have to look to. We have all witnessed what has happened in Liverpool under the same council officials - Liverpool One has had more businesses close down than opened, the promised number of jobs available never materialised - thirty years after Manchester revitalised, Liverpool tried to imitate it and it failed badly when it succumbed to extremely poor planning. So bad in fact, that a huge number of Liverpool people left the city.

It would appear that the same dated action is to be taken in Southport - dated, cheap attractions to keep the population quiet and mis-directed funding on unnecessary structures. Just who are they trying to attract into town? The big investors, the monied elite left the town years ago as it began to go down. We need to attract young business people, with vibrant ideas to protect the future of Southport. A few pubs with cheap beer and a Big Eye just will not do it!

I said when the huge housing projects began in Southport - with no jobs available for the people, and many on benefits, the town would become a hot bed of vandalism and crime. It so happened.

I said that when the council allowed a huge number of retirees from the South to settle in Southport, there would be little opportunity for new businesses and that the expense would hit our economy. It happened.

If you are happy to see the resort turned into a town of dereliction for the future - then obviously you are not going to be happy with revitalising it. Good news for you is that housing will become even cheaper, the few shops we have will close down, there will be no money for maintaining the town and it will become the a..s end of nowhere.

11. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Certainly true, Southport Corporation embedded decline by not investing, hell bent on chasing the lowest rates.

They did dodgy deal after dodgy deal to boot.

From Sand winning to golf course leases, planning deals the list is rather long.

Where is the evidence for that list? Most certainly the town management has become far worse now! ALL our amenities have been closed down, there is nothing left in Southport apart from cheap housing, scruffy parks and choked up roads.

Dodgy deals? I guess using taxpayer's money to build a new football stadium is a great idea? The fact that so many dodgy deals resulted in Liverpool gaining the worst reputation among global investors would not have helped the North west either.

Southport would much, much prefer to have a Southport Corporation now - at least they were all local people who stood up to scrutiny and never needed to form a brotherhood mafia to get things done their way.

13. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by salus.populi View Post
    Good heavens, no. I've never been that desperate for work.
    I do however recall you bragging about how your job at the fairground made you attractive to so many young women. This was some time before "me too" became a thing and boasting about being a sexual predator went out of fashion.
    I take it you may have attended conferences with these chaps?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPv-Ftxvu6I
    You really are unbelievable! I had no wish to work on farms during the summer holidays - so I worked on one of the biggest fairgrounds in the country for three years running, and enjoyed every minute of it.

To me, you have all had your heads stuck in the sand. I have never set out to gain personal gratification - I have always looked upon life as being fun. Don't you agree?

Likes / Dislikes

I said that when the council allowed a huge number of retirees from the South to settle in Southport, there would be little opportunity for new businesses and that the expense would hit our economy.
    Nobody needs council permission to retire anywhere.

16. Likes Stuartli liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Nobody needs council permission to retire anywhere.

Prior to a few years ago - those who retired in Liverpool areas and were on benefits were not allowed to rent outside of the area where they lived. That changed under the Freedom of Movement legislation where they could choose to live wherever they wanted to. They chose Southport which was an error for two reasons - Many of those migrating still believed that Southport was a 'posh' place to live, so they chose to try to better themselves - but found they had missed the boat. Secondly, the different personalities between urban people and rural people do not amalgamate well.

Likes / Dislikes
    Prior to a few years ago - those who retired in Liverpool areas and were on benefits were not allowed to rent outside of the area where they lived. That changed under the Freedom of Movement legislation where they could choose to live wherever they wanted to. They chose Southport which was an error for two reasons - Many of those migrating still believed that Southport was a 'posh' place to live, so they chose to try to better themselves - but found they had missed the boat. Secondly, the different personalities between urban people and rural people do not amalgamate well.
    Quality!

19. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    So nobody receiving a state pension was allowed to leave Liverpool until "freedom of movement legislation" allowed them to do so? Can you explain exactly which legislation that was and when it came into force?

21. Likes Desert Region, Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    So nobody receiving a state pension was allowed to leave Liverpool until "freedom of movement legislation" allowed them to do so? Can you explain exactly which legislation that was and when it came into force?
    I think that Said was actually being intentionally satirical.

Likes / Dislikes
    Dodgy deals? I guess using taxpayer's money to build a new football stadium is a great idea? The fact that so many dodgy deals resulted in Liverpool gaining the worst reputation among global investors would not have helped the North west either.
    Complete and utter bollocks. It's costing Everton FC around £500m to build the new stadium, which will bring a fantastic boost to the entire area for both facilities and employment.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations