UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
    Likes / Dislikes

Watch your energy supplier

Be on your guard if you are switching just as a matter of course or perhaps after the demise of your supplier.

We have seen one supplier, as well as making big increases in gas and electricity, push up standing charges. The former I can understand, but the standing charge one seems to be simply taking advantage of people who are braced anyway for rises.

1p a day on the standing charge nets them £3.65 per account per annum.
    So if they have a million customers it's £3.65m to the bottom line as their costs have not increased.

2. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    Be on your guard if you are switching just as a matter of course or perhaps after the demise of your supplier.

We have seen one supplier, as well as making big increases in gas and electricity, push up standing charges. The former I can understand, but the standing charge one seems to be simply taking advantage of people who are braced anyway for rises.

1p a day on the standing charge nets them £3.65 per account per annum.
    So if they have a million customers it's £3.65m to the bottom line as their costs have not increased.
    The advice from Martin Lewis & his Moneysavingexpert website is to sit tight as nobody can offer a better deal than the capped rate, I don't doubt that as soon as one becomes available he will let us know.

5. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    The advice from Martin Lewis & his Moneysavingexpert website is to sit tight as nobody can offer a better deal than the capped rate, I don't doubt that as soon as one becomes available he will let us know.
    I've always been a bit nervous about moving from British Gas in case something went baps up. Wasn't sure what it was that might go that way, and it's been tempting to go to one of the smaller greener suppliers. Never made the switch though.

I guess there's a fair amount of money to be made by switching at the right time, but now is definitely not the time.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    I've always been a bit nervous about moving from British Gas in case something went baps up. Wasn't sure what it was that might go that way, and it's been tempting to go to one of the smaller greener suppliers. Never made the switch though.

I guess there's a fair amount of money to be made by switching at the right time, but now is definitely not the time.
    There is no risk to swopping, you've probably be ripped off for thousands over the years.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    There is no risk to swopping, you've probably be ripped off for thousands over the years.
    I don't doubt it.

Likes / Dislikes
    Switching to another supplier does not change your physical supply. In effect all you are doing is getting someone different billing you.
    If your alternative supplier went out of business, there are arrangements for the supply to carry on.

Likes / Dislikes
    I was with AVRO who ceased trading on the 26th September, I was switched to Octopus Energy with no issues. My DD was setup, my credit balance with AVRO transferred to Octopus, no inconvenience to me at all.

Likes / Dislikes
    I have just had 2 days of fun with British Gas. For a long time now ( many years ) I have pre pay meters it suits me and gone are the days of big bills to worry about I top up online and it works well for me.
    Last week I saw the credit on the gas meter was low and I never let it actually run out but I went to bed thinking sod it, it will last until morning.
    In the morning I woke to find it had run out so I topped it up, now normally if it ever did run out after topping up it would make a quick hiss noise and come back on saying ON, it came back on saying ON but with no hiss and no gas.
    I called British Gas and it was a nightmare trying to get through but about an hour later someone answered and around 4pm - 4.30 pm an engineer arrived he decided there was a blockage ( burp ) of soil in the pipes, that the supply was blocked/weak and cut it off. He then called Cadent ( like the national grid emergency folk ) who came and immediately and said it’s not the pipes or dirt ( burp ) and that’s a cock and bull story the BGas engineer hasn’t tested it properly it’s obvious to anyone that had done their job properly and had tested it that it’s the meter that has failed and the problem could have been sorted straight away by replacing it as they carry spares in their vans , he then went on to show me the supply was strong he changed the regulator and basically showed me how a gas meter works and how this one had failed so he cut it off again, explained only my supplier could change my actual meter and left.

So now I tried to call British Gas again but no one answered and at two mins to five when the lines close the call went dead. I tried to reach them on txt talk but the advisor said they couldn’t send anyone out at this time ( AROUND 5.30 ) but they promised faithfully that an engineer would appear at 8am the next morning, and so I had to put the oven on to keep warm.
    At 8 am no one arrived so I left it until 9 then called, once again it took the best part of an hour to get through and when I did an advisor said there would be someone with me before noon. At 12.30 I called again and after a long wait once again I got through and explained my problem, who I was, how I had been waiting and what I was told ( gas meter needs replacing ) .. the advisor said they had never heard of me and no appointment has been made or was on her system but she would make an appointment for me herself and would call me back within one hour to confirm it. 2 hours later I called back, a different advisor had no information about my problem on her system and this is where it gets really bizarre .. she said I’ll see if I can help so you must go to your meter turn on the gas at the lever and tell her if it says on.. I explained to her the meter has been sealed first by BGas engineer then now by Cadent it has a sign on it please leave this meter alone it’s been disconnected with a disc danger and so on and I didn’t fancy turning it on or playing with it cos I am not daft, she insisted many times that I follow her instructions and wouldn’t listen to my concerns or the fact it was capped and offline anyway and told me that she would hang up if I didn’t comply ( she got really shirty ) so in the end I lied to her telling her “yes love I’ve pulled the lever nothing has happened” and she said “can you smell gas” I said “ no “ , she said she would send someone and half an hour later Cadent appeared again. Once again Cadent confirmed it was the meter and said British Gas are proper fools and the advisor wanted to send them and not a BGas engineer so she was trying to follow protocol to send Cadent even tho I said “no I can’t smell gas” and explained the problem.. He checked the meter and once again confirmed it had failed re capped it and explained he couldn’t do anything else as it was the supplier that had to replace the faulty meter and left , so there I was again gas less. I called BGas again for an hours music before they answered and a chap said “oh I understand perfectly I’ll make an appointment for you myself I’ll call you back in an hour to confirm that he will be coming tonight” I said “ listen you, I have no faith I’ve been told this before and no one called back and it’s getting past the time when you close at 5” he insisted that he would call back and I had no choice to believe him sooo.
    Anyway he did call back and said an engineer would call between 5 and 7 pm, I thought they all went home at 5 or the txt type folk could have sent me one the night before, anyway I thanked him and waited until 7 and no one came, I thought more fool me for believing and at ten past an engineer arrived immediately said “I’ve tested and it’s the meter that’s failed” he replaced it and it’s been tickety boo for a couple of days now but I am frightened to let it run out in case it doesn’t come on again, what a Christmas that would be.
    British Gas customer services ( apart from one guy ) bunch of ar5eholes .

12. Likes Styx liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gsgsgs View Post
    I was with AVRO who ceased trading on the 26th September, I was switched to Octopus Energy with no issues. My DD was setup, my credit balance with AVRO transferred to Octopus, no inconvenience to me at all.
    I've not been transferred yet, got an email yesterday asking for a meter reading so may be imminent.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations