UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 LastLast

Thread: Low taxes

Likes / Dislikes

Low taxes

So now as they smell blood Sunak and co are lining up their leadership challenges.

And -guess what- we hear from them, how they believe in low taxes. Like it is some fundamental article of faith.

Like they did pre the 2019 election...and then had to break that promise , though making sure it hit the low-paid more than the gilded classes. It wasn't breaking the promise that was deplorable, it was making the government a hostage to fortune 2 years earlier.

Why do they do this? Do they think higher taxes deter entrepreneurs? In 22 years of consulting work, with many smaller firm clients, I never once heard levels of taxation mentioned in any planning for the future. And if you look at European countries more prosperous than us- for example, the Scandis, Denmark, Germany, they all have higher taxation rates so that hasn't snuffed out business.

And at the personal tax level, I wonder in reality whether people fundamentally object. Most people I know would be happy to pay more if they knew it would be spent well- for example on healthcare, education and social care.

This is a seam Starmer should be mining.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    And at the personal tax level, I wonder in reality whether people fundamentally object. Most people I know would be happy to pay more if they knew it would be spent well - for example on healthcare, education and social care.

This is a seam Starmer should be mining.
    Tax is a disincentive, whereas subsidy is an incentive.......When I left school, tax at the higher rate was an unbelievable 19/6d in the pound , that is to say 97.5p was taken away in tax from every pound you earned.

It had a big bearing on my choice of career, since any mug who set out to earn big money, would simply see the results of all their hard work vanish in tax. I therefore gave up any ambition I might have had to try and 'get rich' - and resigned myself to a middle-income profession.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    Tax is a disincentive, whereas subsidy is an incentive.......When I left school, tax at the higher rate was an unbelievable 19/6d in the pound , that is to say 97.5p was taken away in tax from every pound you earned.

It had a big bearing on my choice of career, since any mug who set out to earn big money, would simply see the results of all their hard work vanish in tax. I therefore gave up any ambition I might have had to try and 'get rich' - and resigned myself to a middle-income profession.
    You are then the exception that proves the rule.

I used to do talks on motivation for senior managers. I used to ask them if they thought taxes were too high....95% thought they were. Then I asked them how many could tell me how much tax they paid last month. Very few could.

Likes / Dislikes
    You are then the exception that proves the rule.

I used to do talks on motivation for senior managers. I used to ask them if they thought taxes were too high....95% thought they were. Then I asked them how many could tell me how much tax they paid last month. Very few could.
    I remember the days when we had a deep-sea fishing fleet. It was common for trawler deckhands to take three months off every year (usually the months with the worst weather) to keep their annual earnings below a particularly punishing tax-rate threshold. I.e. they considered it not to be worth their while to earn more, as the taxman would only grab even more.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes

Tax revenues as a percentage of GDP for the U.K. in comparison to the OECD and the EU 15

Tax is a disincentive, whereas subsidy is an incentive.......When I left school, tax at the higher rate was an unbelievable 19/6d in the pound , that is to say 97.5p was taken away in tax from every pound you earned. It had a big bearing on my choice of career, since any mug who set out to earn big money, would simply see the results of all their hard work vanish in tax. I therefore gave up any ambition I might have had to try and 'get rich' - and resigned myself to a middle-income profession.
    The highest rate of income tax peaked in the Second World War at 99.25%. It was then slightly reduced and was around 90% through the 1950s and 60s.
    In 1971 the top rate of income tax on earned income was cut to 75%. A surcharge of 15% kept the top rate on investment income at 90%.[17] In 1974 the cut was partly reversed and the top rate on earned income was raised to 83%.
    etc. etc.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post

Tax revenues as a percentage of GDP for the U.K. in comparison to the OECD and the EU 15

The highest rate of income tax peaked in the Second World War at 99.25%. It was then slightly reduced and was around 90% through the 1950s and 60s.
    In 1971 the top rate of income tax on earned income was cut to 75%. A surcharge of 15% kept the top rate on investment income at 90%.[17] In 1974 the cut was partly reversed and the top rate on earned income was raised to 83%.
    etc. etc.
    I lived through Harold Wilsons 'Big Squeeze'....Company bosses were closing their businesses down left-right-and-center, due to the 19/6d in the pound top rate. Even the Beatles joined the other high-earning pop groups in emigrating if I remember well, due virtually all their earnings being taken off them.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    I lived through Harold Wilsons 'Big Squeeze'....Company bosses were closing their businesses down left-right-and-center, due to the 19/6d in the pound top rate. Even the Beatles joined the other high-earning pop groups in emigrating if I remember well, due virtually all their earnings being taken off them.
    Don't know whether you simply don't know or try to create the impression of the poor hard done by high earner, true there have been changes in tax regimes, BUT as regards income tax everyone at all times has been entitled to a personal tax allowance, then income fell into banded earnings, you appear to either believe or promote the idea that high earners paid top rate tax on all their income, this is simply untrue.

Never forgotten my Dad's comment during a discussion on top rate tax, none of those debating this where in the top tax rate band, yet some were bemoaning the high top rate of tax.

My Dad's response to this, "I wish I was liable to the top rate tax, because I would be earning a hell of a lot more than I am now"

Of course long before anyone hit the top tax rate, they would be high earners anyway.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    Don't know whether you simply don't know or try to create the impression of the poor hard done by high earner, true there have been changes in tax regimes, BUT as regards income tax everyone at all times has been entitled to a personal tax allowance, then income fell into banded earnings, you appear to either believe or promote the idea that high earners paid top rate tax on all their income, this is simply untrue.

Never forgotten my Dad's comment during a discussion on top rate tax, none of those debating this where in the top tax rate band, yet some were bemoaning the high top rate of tax.

My Dad's response to this, "I wish I was liable to the top rate tax, because I would be earning a hell of a lot more than I am now"

Of course long before anyone hit the top tax rate, they would be high earners anyway.
    True, the first few pounds everyone earned were not taxed (personal allowance). All earning above that were taxed in bands, i.e. as with the system we still have. But the big earners, the big bosses/company owners were hit so incredibly hard, they were packing up shop and leaving - putting lower earners in their employ out of work, ultimately damaging the economy.

It also made the notion of expanding a lesser business a complete non-starter. Since you knew the taxman was waiting to gleefully hammer you, if you became too successful. As for wishing to be liable for top rate tax. Those who were liable would have said: 'be my guest, go pay 19/6d in the pound on your own paypacket for a week and see how it feels mate!'.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    True, the first few pounds everyone earned were not taxed (personal allowance). All earning above that were taxed in bands, i.e. as with the system we still have. But the big earners, the big bosses/company owners were hit so incredibly hard, they were packing up shop and leaving - putting lower earners in their employ out of work, ultimately damaging the economy.

It also made the notion of expanding a lesser business a complete non-starter. Since you knew the taxman was waiting to gleefully hammer you, if you became too successful. As for wishing to be liable for top rate tax. Those who were liable would have said: 'be my guest, go pay 19/6d in the pound on your own paypacket for a week and see how it feels mate!'.
    Don't forget I was around at that time, no-one REPEAT, no-one paid the higher rate tax on all their earnings, got to say in spite of the screams and whines from the ultra wealthy, very few businesses if any closed their doors due to tax constraints, sure there were a number of top earning mainly entertainers, who left the country to of course maximum publicity.

Most small businesses who were encroaching higher tax would we more likely to invest in their business, replace older machinery, refurb buildings, all of which would improve without increasing profits and of course keep them out of the dreaded high tax band.

11. Dislikes donkey22 disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

97.5% on every penny you earned?? I don't think so.
    Just be yourself, no one else is better qualified!!

13. Likes Stuartli, silver fox liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick2 View Post
    97.5% on every penny you earned?? I don't think so.
    Spot on. Labour, as always, clobbered the better off, often hard working and wealth creating individuals who helped make the country great and who, eventually, would rightly say enough is enough.

Politicians don't create wealth, nor do governments who rely on direct and indirect taxation for the means to pay for public services, only those in the private sector who actually create the wealth to pay for them.

Likes / Dislikes

First of all nobody has, or expects to, propose a 95% rate or anything like it.
    A case in point. The funds being raised for the as yet unspecified social care could have been raised in a far more effective and fair way by adding a 60% rate at over £150k income.
    And I repeat that in 22 years of consulting, where I worked with probably 8 or 9 smaller , growing companies for extended periods, not once do I recall rates of personal or corporation tax being considered in future planning.
    Hard to imagine, perhaps, but if you earn £150k a year the idea that next year you might see £5k less in net earnings is not such a big deal. Especially as people in that level probably also have other forms of reward anyway.
    I do believe that far more people than is realised would vote for higher taxes if they could be assured of what that money will be spent on.
    No, of course, Sunak has let it be known that he plans to drop income tax before the next election. Nonsense.

16. Likes Little Londoner liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    First of all nobody has, or expects to, propose a 95% rate or anything like it.
    A case in point. The funds being raised for the as yet unspecified social care could have been raised in a far more effective and fair way by adding a 60% rate at over £150k income.
    I wasn't suggesting a sky-high rate of tax be brought back. Just pointing out an extreme example of how taxation can be a disincentive to hard work/wealth-creation and if not applied in moderation, can damage economies.

Personally, if I was Chancellor I'd explore all avenues of raising funds, not just income tax. E.g. with the #Climate Crisis in mind, I'd consider raising the tax level on fossil-fuels, in particular petrol and diesel. If doing so reduced non-essential car usage, then so much the better.

Then there's alcohol, which is way too cheap anyway imo. I'd rake in the £billions, from a series of swingeing increases in 'booze tax'.
    Last edited by The PNP; 04/12/2021 at 11:27 AM.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    I didn’t think it would be long before the **** turned this thread into a “hammer the motorist” debate.

19. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP
    Tax is a disincentive, whereas subsidy is an incentive.......When I left school, tax at the higher rate was an unbelievable 19/6d in the pound , that is to say 97.5p was taken away in tax from every pound you earned
    The tax rates that you are referring to are marginal tax rates, this is the tax rate that only applies to income over the top threshold. This is not the rate of tax that people actually pay.

You have a progressive tax system, in which earned income is divided into tax brackets, and differing tax rates are applied as income rises. You need to calculate the effective tax rate, which is the rate that is actually payable. To do this you have to add up all of the taxes payable in each tax bracket. Take this total and calculate it as a percentage of your total income. This is the tax rate that you are actually paying.

If you have unearned income, dividends/investment etc., this may be subject to a surtax which will increase the marginal tax rate. I know this happened during Wilson's 1974 term, resulting in a 98% marginal tax rate, but I don't know if this was the case in 1966. For some reason I think that the marginal tax rate in 1966 was 95%. What year did you leave school?

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations