UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Aparantly the statue inow worth 50 times its original value, £300,000!

http://news.sky.com/story/edward-col...value-12510440

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    One wonders what's next for this new form of legal protest .

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sandGroundZero View Post
    "the Justice system" is no joke!
    Trail by a jury of your peers is at the heart of English legal rights hard won over many centuries. English history is replete with occasions when juries have acquitted defendants apparently in spite of the letter of the law. Had it not been so, absolutism would have prevailed.

Acts of rebellion in the face of unjust laws made English law. But English liberty is never safe against malign instincts of governments. Our current government is enacting further limitations on the right to protest, inter alia.

Thank you lucky stars some people have had the gonads to stand-up to injustice!
    There are a lot of things I don't like so if i take it upon myself to destroy them it'll be ok then. Thanks for your input I do have a bit of an idea about the Jury system as I served on a couple of cases in 1975 and the antics of some of the Jurors were childlike.

Likes / Dislikes

Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    There are a lot of things I don't like so if i take it upon myself to destroy them it'll be ok then.
    — your conclusion is unwarranted
    …notwithstanding the Edward Colston statue was damaged, a jury did not convict four defendants. Nevertheless, the overstated reactions are not constructive.

Thanks for your input I do have a bit of an idea about the Jury system as I served on a couple of cases in 1975 and the antics of some of the Jurors were childlike.
    The legal system is not without its flaws; juries do on occasion deliver unexpected or counterintuitive verdicts.
    [I read a notorious recent jury decision in the US may be dismissed and a new trial owing to one juror's post trial remarks. Costly, and probably damaging to the principle of trial by jury.]
    Trial by jury comes under threat from all sides at frequent intervals. Respect it; or you may lose it.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion102 View Post
    I wonder how many of the commentators have any connection to Bristol. Arguments about the Atkinson are irrelevant because they are in a different context.

I don't suppose anybody on the forum believes that the toppled statues of Saddam Hussein, Nicolae Ceausescu and Hitler were acts of vandalism.

Probably all posters on here would agree that vandalism of the statue of Churchill would be wrong although.I hope you would acknowledge that the unequalled war leader and author had many darker aspects to his life and character.

So acceptable protest vs vandalism is a matter of degree.

I am from Bristol originally, and I am white. Edward Colston was a slave trader, he wasn't of his time like Atkinson ,he made his fortune kidnapping black people and then selling the few that survived the journey. In my day, Colston ran through the city, there was the ugly statue, two large schools and the cities main concert venue. Bristol is a multicultural city and has been for many many years, in particular it has a very large population of Afro-Carribean heritage. To them, Colston was a celebration of a time when white people could own black people.

I don't feel that I should apologise for crimes against black people that I am not implicated in, but I certainly don't think I should be celebrating those crimes.
    Do you contribute to a pension ? if you do what "unethical" companies are providing you with dividends and growth do you know?

Colston may have invested in the shipping lines or even owned the shipping lines I doubt very much he went to Africa chasing natives around or even killing anyone but unlike now (except for the people traffickers ) such an undertaking would not last very long before being detected. As no one from that era is around to tell us how things were except in books which can be written to portray any view the author has. We used to hang starving white British children for stealing a loaf of bread. So in the context of that was a shipping company accepting a cargo to take over to the Americas as gruesome and horrific as hanging children we can't interview the captors the ships crew the shipping company as things at that time were nothing like today. If your family were Missionaries trying to educate and teach the natives about a non existent entity trying to rule their lives and they were murdered and put in a pot and boiled for tea would you have the same outlook.
    Yes Colston made money and he used that money to improve the lives of Bristolians that is why the statue was there so why not burn down the Offices of Cunard P&O Maersk ACL just in case they may have derived from a company that were involved in transporting a human cargo.
    As someone has pointed out History is History there would be nothing left if it was wiped from the records we should and do learn from it. As for Hitler Sadaam Hussein and Ceaucescu they built their own statues and subdued and killed their own people so I think there was every right for the celebration of their passing by the people they abused not someone 400/500 years down the line.
    How many Afro Caribbeans living here actually send money for schools hospitals and any other much needed life saving developments in Africa.

Likes / Dislikes

— your conclusion is unwarranted
    …notwithstanding the Edward Colston statue was damaged, a jury did not convict four defendants. Nevertheless, the overstated reactions are not constructive.

The legal system is not without its flaws; juries do on occasion deliver unexpected or counterintuitive verdicts.
    [I read a notorious recent jury decision in the US may be dismissed and a new trial owing to one juror's post trial remarks. Costly, and probably damaging to the principle of trial by jury.]
    Trial by jury comes under threat from all sides at frequent intervals. Respect it; or you may lose it.
    The overstated reactions should be directed at the prosecution / DPP, it is they that presented a case to court that was either too weak or too poorly presented to obtain a conviction.

Maxwell's lawyers are clutching at straws, they where involved in the selection of jurors, it should also be against the law for jurors to speak to the media about a case or conviction.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    I've often puzzled as to why more American 'blacks', now that they are 'free' and better off financially, don't go back to their roots?
    1. have you researched how many "American 'blacks' …go back to their roots?"
    2. are you implying that American 'blacks' are not rooted in America?
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    Their money, education, western knowledge and ways, could make a valuable contribution to improve lives in struggling West African republics.
    I recall not long ago [in some thread, or other] you were extolling the virtues of precolonial ways …
    In any case, there seems to be one or two slightly unsavoury implications.

9. Likes Hamble liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Region View Post
    Are you, a racist, trying to take the high moral ground?
    I do so hope I wasn't overstating my opinion there - what a great threat to our values that would be...

Likes / Dislikes

1. have you researched how many "American 'blacks' …go back to their roots?"
    2. are you implying that American 'blacks' are not rooted in America?
    I recall not long ago [in some thread, or other] you were extolling the virtues of precolonial ways …
    In any case, there seems to be one or two slightly unsavoury implications.
    Steady now - aren't you supposed to act as the apologist for the PNP's views on race?

"...seems to be one or two slightly unsavoury implications."

Powerful stuff! (Slightly.)

Likes / Dislikes
    There are a lot of things I don't like so if i take it upon myself to destroy them it'll be ok then. Thanks for your input I do have a bit of an idea about the Jury system as I served on a couple of cases in 1975 and the antics of some of the Jurors were childlike.
    sGZ's lack of experience doesn't preclude him from the right to lecture you and waffle.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    So what next, will it be acceptable to go out and trash all Japanese and German cars because of the atrocities that happened during WW2.

Do the same to VW Beetle car’s because Hitler called them “the peoples car”

Set fire to all Hugo Boss shops and clothing because they supplied uniforms to the Nazi army and SS.

Where do you draw the line as to what’s ok to vandalise and what’s not.

History cannot be erased or changed, we should learn from it and ensure bad history isn’t repeated.

We would not buy a German car.
    We buy Japanese that does not make us selfish in our grief.
    Neither would we think or pass comment on those who do buy German cars.

I would expect a Council elected by residents to listen to public reason.

Likes / Dislikes
    Anyone would think slavery was a thing of the past.

Got to look at the positives in this ruling.
    Slavery is abhorent modern slavery is abhorent.
    The publicity given to Bristol means it is very unlikely any perpetrator
    could defend or plead ignorance of holding a person against their will for
    financial gain.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamble View Post
    We would not buy a German car.
    We buy Japanese that does not make us selfish in our grief.
    Neither would we think or pass comment on those who do buy German cars.

I would expect a Council elected by residents to listen to public reason.
    l drive a Japanese car and don’t have a problem with it, my wife’s grandfather was a POW and worked on the Burma Railway, he survived but was never the same physically or mentally.

I have absolutely no desire to destroy anything linked to slavery, war atrocities or anything that I don’t like or agree with.

These things are there to remind us of man’s inhumanity to his fellow man, they can’t be changed and everyone should learn from such acts.

But there are a growing number of people who seem intent on “righting historical wrongs” even though it’s impossible to do so.

Likes / Dislikes
    I have got a Land Rover with a bmw engine, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it .

17. Likes Kippax liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    l drive a Japanese car and don’t have a problem with it, my wife’s grandfather was a POW and worked on the Burma Railway, he survived but was never the same physically or mentally.

I have absolutely no desire to destroy anything linked to slavery, war atrocities or anything that I don’t like or agree with.

These things are there to remind us of man’s inhumanity to his fellow man, they can’t be changed and everyone should learn from such acts.

But there are a growing number of people who seem intent on “righting historical wrongs” even though it’s impossible to do so.
    Colston is slightly different he gave funded and legacied charitable donations providing a benefit to many people.
    Reappraising Colston's depravity meant ending historical benefacting in his name.
    Many of the benefacting charities voluntarilly did so before the statue was toppled.

I think I have used this example before in another context.
    Historical wrongs are not made right by time judging them on the standards of the day is important.

Colston failed that test even in his time he new by public and National opinion slavery was inhumane he still supported it.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations