Name:  sfc-ian.JPG
Views: 0
Size:  225.6 KB

We want promotion to the National League

Good afternoon and welcome everyone to this the last home game of this season at Haig Avenue. A particularly warm welcome to all Directors, staff, fans and players from Telford.

It has definitely been an interesting season if somewhat more a season of highs and lows, rather than the consistency we had aimed for. At the start of the season, Liam Steve and I were confident that we were putting together a really promising squad of players albeit we knew they were relatively young. We knew we were not going to be able to compete financially with the York’s, Fylde’s and Kidderminster’s of the league all full time and with three or four times our budget and to that extent we were not going to be able to “buy” a place in the play offs. To that end we knew we had to put together a squad of promising, hungry and talented players. Our aim was to get that right this season and get in the play offs.

We have been in or around the play offs for the last three or four months. Whether we end up in a play off place or not, we know we are not far away from where we want to be. We have retained the services of the large majority of this squad for next season and that was really important as we build not only the squad for years to come but re-build the identity of the Club as a whole. The relationship between players and staff, and fans, is vital to this. When I first joined from memory, we had two players signed for the fast approaching season, two managers and struggled to put out a team for a friendly against Bootle. We are now in a very different place. I would like to think there is a strong bond between players and fans and a mutual appreciation. Players who leave the Club do so only to move up the pyramid, with our blessing. It is indicative of their bond with the Club that they return to support whenever they have the opportunity to do so. Liam, Steve and I know there are more pieces to add to the jigsaw. We are already working on it.

I would like to thank every single player who has contributed this season. One thing that they cannot be faulted for as a man, is playing every game with 100% commitment for the club. Every single one of them wants to play for this club. Every single one of them wants to be successful at this club. The rapport with fans at the end of every successful game, the desire to celebrate with the fans, shows that. This certainly bodes well for the future. It sounds obvious, but it makes a massive difference to have 18 / 19 players here who actually want to be here playing and winning for this club rather than simply picking up a wage. Similarly Liam and all his management team of Terry and Danny. Nobody doubts or can doubt Liam’s commitment to the Club. He is Mr Southport. I have no doubt that as a management team success is literally around the corner.

Off the field, we have a similarly strong team building up steam with Steve, Mark, Claire and Maz along with all the staff who are working their socks off to ensure that we are continually striving to provide as good a matchday experience as we can get, aided of course by The Corridor providing the indoor catering and the now famous pen-friends of the Piers Morgan family, Lourdes providing the outdoor catering.

It would be remiss of me not to thank all of the volunteers who make Southport FC possible. From Hamish and Christine, through Rob and Julia and the rest of the media team to everyone who gives up their time through the week to clean and carry out running repairs, the matchday volunteers who man the turnstiles and ensure the day goes smoothly, Anthony who has saved us a fortune on lost balls amongst his many jobs and Dave Barnes who I am sure actually lives in a secret apartment at Haig Avenue drawing up “to do lists” for everyone to keep the Club going whilst living on McDonald’s burgers and counting his steps for the day.

My last big thank you goes to you the fans who have supported us so well this season. It hasn’t always been easy, I appreciate. We have suffered through injuries, bad luck and poor refereeing decisions (such as the third goal against Alfreton), and the odd “blip” such as the Chester and Kidderminster games. At the time of writing this however we have lost only two games at home all season. That speaks volumes. We have been complimented everywhere we have gone for the levels and volumes of support that have followed us. Long may that continue! It has to me become all the more apparent the difference between the keyboard warriors who post almost with glee when things don’t go so well, as compared to the actual fans, turning up or supporting from afar week in week out. They can see what we are trying to do.

So what of the Board? We have all put in a massive amount of hours and effort over the last two to three years to keep the club afloat and on track during a very difficult and unprecedented period. We want to win, to be successful. One poster on Portchat suggested that we need a more “balanced group of people” who are prepared to “put their money in”. As I indicated in my last notes such people, if they are out there, are not at present knocking the door down. If there are people out there who want to get involved for the betterment of the Club, my door is always open. In the meantime, Steve, Liam and I will continue to put in all of our time and effort into doing the best we can for Southport FC. We want success. We want promotion to the National League. We will keep doing whatever we can to achieve that goal without ever risking the survival of this Club.

Enjoy your summer and see you next season!

Ian

Source: southportfc.net