UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst 1 LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post
    '....it was reported...' So 2500 Foodbanks are all reporting that people did not want potatoes because 'they could not afford to cook them' You have to give it to those reporters, they have managed to add to the fuel crisis without blinking. Are we to understand then, that these people were requesting Ready Made hot meals? Why are they at a food bank at all - they cannot afford to cook anything if the report is correct.

Please people - don't just read a report and accept it on face value, think about it, otherwise you are being pulled in, hook, line and sinker.
    Your ignorance and complete lack of compassion to the hardships faced by so many families in this country is shameful as well as astounding. Shame on you.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    My gas & electric has risen to £3000 a year for a two bed flat. Taking that as a baseline, if a family of 4 have £14k for food and clothing, they are paying less than £100 a week rent.

You haven't got the first clue.[/QUOTE]

1. Get to know the farm workers. Learn how to cut the black oxydised areas out of potatoes. Learn how to blanche and freeze vegetables while they are still fresh.
    2. Get a Gas and Electricity Meter - in a flat you should have one (not a smart meter) and can read how much you use and work out what it costs.
    3. A Large block of cheese from Farmfoods cost £3.
    4. If kids don't want milk then a bottle of cordial 50p and add tap water.
    5.Marks and Spencers large Cauliflowers are 86p as are those from Lidl. Few people buy large Cauliflowers because they go off quickly (they are fast grown) But they can go in the deep freeze to keep.
    6. Your electricity bill is extremely high. I live in a large four bedroomed, low ceilings, well insulated house, no solar panels, windows open all year round and pay around £600 per year.

Get yours checked out! Take a meter reading, note it down in a notebook - Time everything you use and make list of ITEM and TIME USED in that notebook. You can find out the cost for the item you have used over a time online. It is a pain - but it should be well worth it.

Several of my friends live in flats and have meters - they are great if you want to save money, even with a standing charge! And I know my food.

4. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey22 View Post
    Your ignorance and complete lack of compassion to the hardships faced by so many families in this country is shameful as well as astounding. Shame on you.

An unemployed couple with two children, paying £500 a month rent are paid minimum benefits of £22,500 per year. The average wage in Southport for a single worker is under £15,000 a year. If one parent works they get more money. If parents have more than two children -they get more money. A pensioner is paid about £8,500 per year.

How much money should these people be given in benefits to stop them being in poverty? A graduate teacher gets paid £22,000 to start with, an accountant is paid £29,000 after four years of study, a new graduate nurse is paid £22,000. A fireman is paid £29,000 for risking his life everyday. So how much should untrained, unemployed people get paid? Twice as much? Four times as much? And if so, would you be willing to pay twice as much or four times as much in taxes?

6. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    Can you tell us how you know he has more supporters than critics?
    Apparently you agree with him but that doesn't mean you are in a majority.
    It seems unlikely to me.
    Yes of course more education would be a good thing.
    But put his remarks in context.
    We are the fifth wealthiest country in the world ( although when the Tories have finished perhaps not).
    We now have more foodbanks than branches of McDonalds.
    A few days ago a Tory MP and the local Tory Mayor had themselves photo'd cutting the ribbon to open a new foodbank. There was even, irony on ironies, a buffet...
    There is no way we should need them. And foodbanks are not giving out ready meals.
    This report came up on every media site. For everyone who criticised the guy there were eight who agreed with him, without fail!

Do you know why we have foodbanks? Do you know why and where they started? - clue: It was not to feed the poor. Check out the Trussell Trust.

Have you ever stood in a queue for a Food Bank? I did a few times for a report that I was writing. I went to about five - but since there are 2500 foodbanks in the UK, my findings were as I expected them to be but different to how you imagine them, but my findings cannot be said to be definitive on such a small sample.

Likes / Dislikes
    I have just seen a recording of Lee Anderson offering the Labour and Union man Paul Embery a visit to the foodbank Evans works at, Embery refused.

He should go.

Its on youtube.

9. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Here's a contender for both Lee and said's crown of no brain AND no heart (I know it's a high bar, but...)

Likes / Dislikes
    Here's an idea why not exchange the budget for catering at every prison with a 30p allowance per prisoner and the excess used to ensure eligible people can feed their family.

I'm not defending the remarks of the Tory MP but there are obviously people out there who choose not to work (legally) who drink smoke run cars have Sky etc etc who seem to be first in the queue when there is something for nothing whilst the genuine struggle and worry themselves to death because of the rapid rise in prices. But that is the Tory way always start change from the bottom up instead of those that can afford it. Let's start with the disabled was the Duncan-Smith/McVey way.

12. Likes said liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    In passing there Said mentions housing benefit and it reminds me of what a scandal that is.

When council housing was effectively stopped in the 80s, and then council house stock lost through the Right to Buy scheme, the net effect was to push millions to need to rent privately.

At a stroke damage was done in many ways.

There was no way ( and still isn't really) of regulating the quality and safety of private property as there had been with council housing.

The rush of people to rent switched on the buy to let market, and gave house prices a real surge, ironically creating a vicious circle which made even more people have to seek rented accommodation.

Rents rocketed and we had to introduce housing benefit to prevent large-scale poverty and homelessness. Now housing benefit costs us close to £20bn a year, and effectively we give taxpayers' money to private landlords.

The net effect was to transfer funds used to create publicly-owned assets to speculators.

To this day millions suffer because finding first-step housing is such a problem.

14. Likes Dirac, Lamparilla, Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Londoner View Post
    Here's an idea why not exchange the budget for catering at every prison with a 30p allowance per prisoner and the excess used to ensure eligible people can feed their family.

I'm not defending the remarks of the Tory MP but there are obviously people out there who choose not to work (legally) who drink smoke run cars have Sky etc etc who seem to be first in the queue when there is something for nothing whilst the genuine struggle and worry themselves to death because of the rapid rise in prices. But that is the Tory way always start change from the bottom up instead of those that can afford it. Let's start with the disabled was the Duncan-Smith/McVey way.

This is exactly the sort of reply that plays into the "benefit scroungers" idea happily trotted out by Tory after Tory.

Data are good, they can make sense of some of the current problems -

1 - £9,000 million scrounged by dodgy PPE firms, many were Tory donors fast-tracked through the illegal VIP lane (Tories denied the VIP lane existed, for a while)

2 - £35,000 million lost tax with about half being down to fraud

3 - £15,000 million of benefits are unclaimed... How odd, where are all those scroungers?

4 - £37,000 million over 2 years for Test and Trace - the Public Accounts Committee said "despite the unimaginable resources thrown at this project Test and Trace cannot point to a measurable difference to the progress of the pandemic"

You might imagine benefit fraud must be massive in comparison, after all, the Government reminds us about it regularly.

£900 million a year is the latest DWP estimate. 10% of the PPE fraud.
    That's about £17.5 million a week.
    We are paying £3.3 million a week to store all the PPE the government bought that was unfit for use.
    Brexit costs us over £170 million a week, by the way.......but SOVEREIGNTY!

So, I reckon there are some massive systemic problems in our society that cost us all a lot of money and blight our future.

People claiming benefits is not one of them.

16. Likes Toodles McGinty, said liked this post
    Dislikes Darkside disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said View Post

1. Get to know the farm workers. Learn how to cut the black oxydised areas out of potatoes. Learn how to blanche and freeze vegetables while they are still fresh...
    ...3. A Large block of cheese from Farmfoods cost £3.
    4. If kids don't want milk then a bottle of cordial 50p and add tap water.
    5.Marks and Spencers large Cauliflowers are 86p as are those from Lidl. Few people buy large Cauliflowers because they go off quickly (they are fast grown) But they can go in the deep freeze to keep.
    Oh I see, for this masterplan to work, this family have to hang around farms for a while. So they have to live in walking distance of the countryside. And spend time wandering around a farm to become familiar with the workers. I'm sure the farmer in question won't mind at all.

Is it one family per farm, or can several families trek over agricultural land daily to buddy up with the employees?

Then after walking miles and miles to the nearest farm, they then have to find a branch of Farmfoods. Then a branch of Lidl. So with over a million families on poverty, how many live within walking distance of a farm, a Lidl and a Farmfoods to come up with a paltry offering of a dry baked spud, with 6 beans and a sliver of cheese?

And in this masterplan, they've also got to use the energy to blanche veg and freeze them?

6. Your electricity bill is extremely high. I live in a large four bedroomed, low ceilings, well insulated house, no solar panels, windows open all year round and pay around £600 per year.
    Do you know what else you find on a farm? Bull$h!t. So before April, you were paying £400 for combined gas and electricity for a 4 bed house? Bigger bull$h!t than one of your half baked conspiracy theories.

Get yours checked out! Take a meter reading, note it down in a notebook - Time everything you use and make list of ITEM and TIME USED in that notebook. You can find out the cost for the item you have used over a time online. It is a pain - but it should be well worth it.
    I'm not in poverty. I can afford my bills. And if I had to spend my days staring at an electric meter, I'd lose the will to live. I'm not asking for tips of budgeting from a lying conspiracy theorist with obvious MH problems. We're talking about families on poverty who simply cannot afford the cost of living.

18. Likes Dirac, seivad, Hector liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    This is exactly the sort of reply that plays into the "benefit scroungers" idea happily trotted out by Tory after Tory.

Data are good, they can make sense of some of the current problems -

1 - £9,000 million scrounged by dodgy PPE firms, many were Tory donors fast-tracked through the illegal VIP lane (Tories denied the VIP lane existed, for a while)

2 - £35,000 million lost tax with about half being down to fraud

3 - £15,000 million of benefits are unclaimed... How odd, where are all those scroungers?

4 - £37,000 million over 2 years for Test and Trace - the Public Accounts Committee said "despite the unimaginable resources thrown at this project Test and Trace cannot point to a measurable difference to the progress of the pandemic"

You might imagine benefit fraud must be massive in comparison, after all, the Government reminds us about it regularly.

£900 million a year is the latest DWP estimate. 10% of the PPE fraud.
    That's about £17.5 million a week.
    We are paying £3.3 million a week to store all the PPE the government bought that was unfit for use.
    Brexit costs us over £170 million a week, by the way.......but SOVEREIGNTY!

So, I reckon there are some massive systemic problems in our society that cost us all a lot of money and blight our future.

People claiming benefits is not one of them.

Agree 100%

Exactly the kind of crap this government wants people to think. Demonise the poor, make them other. Make poor people the problem.

All these families on the breadline drink, smoke, pay for Sky TV, drive cars. I thought Said's posts were bizarre, but the amount of idiots on this site playing right into the hands of the government's propaganda is astounding.

Right up there with 'immigrants are stealing our jobs'.

20. Likes Dirac, seivad, Hector liked this post
    Dislikes Darkside disliked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Interesting aside but right to buy was a left wing redistributive idea postulated by an economist called Moor or Moore or was it Meade can't remember to be frank which one (so long ago)

Problem is, every buyer is a more likely invested member of a growing nimby army.

22. Likes Darkside liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by said
    Your electricity bill is extremely high. I live in a large four bedroomed, low ceilings, well insulated house, no solar panels, windows open all year round and pay around £600 per year.
    Did you move? Marvin's house certainly doesn't match your description.

It's counter intuitive to install energy saving insulation, then keep your windows open in cold weather. And to keep the heating on when the open windows are bringing in cold air defies all logic. If, as common sense dictates, you turn the heating off, I'm not surprised your energy costs are low. If you don't, you are literally throwing money out of the window.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by seivad View Post
    Did you move? Marvin's house certainly doesn't match your description.

It's counter intuitive to install energy saving insulation, then keep your windows open in cold weather. And to keep the heating on when the open windows are bringing in cold air defies all logic. If, as common sense dictates, you turn the heating off, I'm not surprised your energy costs are low. If you don't, you are literally throwing money out of the window.

They used to do that at Greaves Hall in Banks out of interest, instead of turning the heating down, they opened the windows.

just saying...........

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    They used to do that at Greaves Hall in Banks out of interest, instead of turning the heating down, they opened the windows.

just saying...........
    I'll keep that in mind for next Winter

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations