UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

Why is nobody talking about the impending disaster?

Is it just me or does there seem to be a complete miss from Truss and Sunak about what is concerning at least 75% of our population?

People everywhere considering heat or eat dilemmas or in some cases, possibly neither...concerns they will not be able to pay the mortgage...and all this in the sixth richest country in the world.

And while this is looming, the two candidates for leading our country are touting nonsense. Does Truss realise that millions don't earn enough to pay tax, so will have no benefit from a tax cut? But that those who can probably afford to survive will see their taxes cut by their marginal rate? Does she, even now, grasp that supply-fuelled inflation is increased, not decreased, by tax cuts?

Does Sunak understand that attacks on "wokeness" and the less vocational degrees at universities are about as much use as a yo-yo to a dwarf?

It is surely bizarre that they compete for the support of Colonel Bufton Tufton of Chittingfold and Mrs Marjorie Outrage of Bromley by dangling the bright pieces of bead, while thousands may die this winter. And while their mentor strolls around on holiday (no doubt at someone else's expense) after enjoying his £95,000 jet fighter, play while at Central Office they try to come up with some way of getting him free of the charges of lying.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Are you still allowed to say dwarf?, what sex is the dwarf ?, are they gay dwarfs or coloured dwarfs, can you still even say yo yo.

4. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bensherman View Post
    Is it just me or does there seem to be a complete miss from Truss and Sunak about what is concerning at least 75% of our population?

It's Truss and Sunak. Only to be expected.

They haven't had a capable politician since before Johnson's purge.

As far as vocational degrees that don't improve people's earnings potential are concerned, has he forgotten the bloated 2:1 classics scholar currently ending his tenure as he began - by ignoring a crisis completely?

May's 2:1 in geography? Mogg's 2:1 in history? Nadine Dorries'..er...

Hmm, maybe he has a point.

The Tories have always been at war with the Arts and Humanities. They only care about uncultured and apolitical people that act as a production chain.
    Last edited by Toodles McGinty; 10/08/2022 at 04:56 PM.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by MICK/GILLY View Post
    Are you still allowed to say dwarf?, what sex is the dwarf ?, are they gay dwarfs or coloured dwarfs, can you still even say yo yo.
    dwarfs .well head s up all round!

Likes / Dislikes
    It's going to be out of control without direct intervention now. Which is why Parliament should be off their jollies and back in the House.

It isn't just homes that can't be heated. Care homes will close. What will happen to their residents? Social care, already under massive pressure, will be in almost irreparable crisis. Hospitals may not be able to pay their energy bills. Schools. Councils.

What happens when the council can't pay the gas bill at the Crem?

Ordinary households will not be able to carry the burden of over 4k on average p.a. on energy, leading them into massive debt. The consequence of that is a threat to the rest of the economy. Recession is almost guaranteed. Hospitality, leisure and retail, to name just a few, will then come under severe pressure. Businesses will fail, and it won't be their fault. People will not have any cash to spend. So unemployment will rocket.

Then the banks get hit. Mortgages and rents go unpaid. Without mortgages paid and landlords servicing their debt, banks fail. They'll make a hell of a lot of money at first, along with the obscene profits made by energy companies now. But then, with millions in debt and not paying anything at all, banks fail. Energy fails.

Because our government now, and the next in September, give tax cuts to the rich in the pathetic hope it will 'trickle down'. It never, ever 'trickles down'. And if by some miracle it did, it will be too late. Benefit increases are off the table, apart from a £1600 payment to 'some' households. 20% of the UK have household incomes of less than £15k a year. £1600 knocked off a bill of £4-5k doesn't make a lot of difference.

Tax the rich. Tax corporations even more. Give the money to the poor to actually spend. That money trickles up. Fast.

If not, the legacy of deaths, homelessness, increased crime, broken services, passed on by the past 12 years of Tory government will snowball into devastation. And it is literally months away.

Our economy is heading for a meltdown. Possibly worse than anything we've seen before. They'd better shore up the walls of the Palace of Westminster. As the saying goes: Winter is coming.

Likes / Dislikes
    Don't upset Truss and Sunak. They are singing off the same music sheet as every other politician has been doing for the past thirty years.

9. Likes jamyramy liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    So you are basically saying they are making it up as they go along .

11. Likes jamyramy liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    We are not alone.

Inflation in the UK is 8.2 per cent, compared to an OECD average of 10.3 per cent and just below the rate in Spain, Sweden, America and the Netherlands

That's currently a little above the rate in Italy and Germany. Inflation is not welcome, but one shared by most advanced countries.

Some countries that are more reliable on Russian energy supplies could well be worse off than the UK this coming winter.

13. Likes carliol liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    Ordinary households will not be able to carry the burden of over 4k on average p.a. on energy, leading them into massive debt. The consequence of that is a threat to the rest of the economy. Recession is almost guaranteed. Hospitality, leisure and retail, to name just a few, will then come under severe pressure. Businesses will fail, and it won't be their fault. People will not have any cash to spend. So unemployment will rocket.
    I don't know if you were around back in the '50's, but we all seemed to get by o.k., long before todays energy-hungry lifestyles became the norm.

Almost nobody had the modern luxury of central heating, relying on one simple coal or gasfire. Even then, some would spend the evening sat by the fire in the snug at their local, to save on fuel. Beds were heated with a hot water bottle. Few families had the expense of running car/s, either walking, riding or bussing it to work, shops and school, etc.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

15. Likes carliol liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuartli View Post
    We are not alone.

Inflation in the UK is 8.2 per cent, compared to an OECD average of 10.3 per cent and just below the rate in Spain, Sweden, America and the Netherlands

That's currently a little above the rate in Italy and Germany. Inflation is not welcome, but one shared by most advanced countries.

Some countries that are more reliable on Russian energy supplies could well be worse off than the UK this coming winter.
    Absolutely not alone. Inflation is as bad or worse in many countries.

But the European average for energy increases is 41%. The UK's is 214%. At the moment £263.79 per mega watt hour compared to 43.99 Euros in the EU. Unless massive intervention happens, and happens quickly, the scenario I described will happen. And soon.

We're already facing blackouts in January, according to the government. I think for many it'll be self-induced and sooner. Gas and electricity will get turned off. Or in homes where there are children or vulnerable people, the debt will mount and mount.

To be honest, while I have every sympathy for folk elsewhere, I'm most concerned about people here. About family, friends, the elderly already in crisis mode.

I know people who simply cannot afford to live. Literally. And the two candidates to oversee this disaster, and it will be a disaster, are wanging on about university courses and killing off the right to strike.

People are going to die because of this. Directly because of this. Through freezing to death, depression, starvation, being unable to keep meds at the right temperature. And worse of all they can intervene. If they wanted to, they could.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    I don't know if you were around back in the '50's, but we all seemed to get by o.k., long before todays energy-hungry lifestyles became the norm.

Almost nobody had the modern luxury of central heating, relying on one simple coal or gasfire. Even then, some would spend the evening sat by the fire in the snug at their local, to save on fuel. Beds were heated with a hot water bottle. Few families had the expense of running car/s, either walking, riding or bussing it to work, shops and school, etc.
    I wasn't around in the 50s, but I do recall my Grandparents houses with open fires. I've still got hot water bottles. I remember windows with frost on the inside. I remember coal deliveries. I remember coats on beds to keep people warm.

Thing is, my parents and grandparents could afford coal. They could afford a gas fire. They could afford the kettle on for hot water bottles. They could afford food. When they got out of bed with bedrooms full of frost, they could go down to a fire to warm themselves. They had electricity.

Foodbanks are having to cater for families that can't afford to cook, much less heat their homes. There's little point giving a family a leg of lamb if they can't cook it. There's little point in having insulin etc if you can't afford the electricity for a fridge.

And there is the knock on effect of kids not being able to learn if they are cold and hungry. Not being able to do their homework. Generations of potential lost to poverty.

People will die. Simple as that.

18. Likes Lamparilla liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    I wasn't around in the 50s, but I do recall my Grandparents houses with open fires. I've still got hot water bottles. I remember windows with frost on the inside. I remember coal deliveries. I remember coats on beds to keep people warm.
    Seems to me, that recent generations have been brought up knowing no other way to live, than with whole-house central heating and cars to take them everywhere, etc. Open-plan modern living is fine too, till gas bills go through the roof. Back in the day, many people lived in one small room at the back of the house, where they could keep warm, as it was the only sensible thing to do.

I still live like that, at least to an extent, as it's what I'm used to and is all we need anyway. I.e. with a single (modern) stove, which is far more efficient and controllable than a traditional hearth. Thankfully, heat is rarely a problem in a bedroom, though electric blankets can be called on, should the need arise.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Not content with nearly killing granny during Covid, now the tories are going to try and freeze her to death this winter.

21. Likes Alikado, Lamparilla, Toodles McGinty, jet liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    I'm not an economics expert, so perhaps someone can explain the situation we now have with regard to energy bills.

The government is going to give people an allowance of up to £1600, not as cash, but as payments towards their energy bills. This money will presumably be paid by the government to the energy companies who have recently announced multi-billion pound profits.

The goverment is then going to apply a 25% windfall tax to those same energy companies, so this will presumably pay for the allowances they are 'paying' to consumers, so the money is just going round in a circle. The energy companies will just have to 'get by' on 75% of their multi-billions of profits.

Wouldn't it be easier to introduce emergency legislation to force the energy companies to lower their prices, and when the energy companies say that this will make them insolvent, then they are taken into public ownership. Of course, no Tory government would ever do that, so the solution is in the hands of the voters.

I realise that this is an over-simplistic view, but isn't this whole situation of recirculating money just designed to prop up a failed system that depends too heavily on non-renewable energy?

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamparilla View Post
    I'm not an economics expert, so perhaps someone can explain the situation we now have with regard to energy bills.

The government is going to give people an allowance of up to £1600, not as cash, but as payments towards their energy bills. This money will presumably be paid by the government to the energy companies who have recently announced multi-billion pound profits.

The goverment is then going to apply a 25% windfall tax to those same energy companies, so this will presumably pay for the allowances they are 'paying' to consumers, so the money is just going round in a circle. The energy companies will just have to 'get by' on 75% of their multi-billions of profits.

Wouldn't it be easier to introduce emergency legislation to force the energy companies to lower their prices, and when the energy companies say that this will make them insolvent, then they are taken into public ownership. Of course, no Tory government would ever do that, so the solution is in the hands of the voters.

I realise that this is an over-simplistic view, but isn't this whole situation of recirculating money just designed to prop up a failed system that depends too heavily on non-renewable energy?

This is not realistic it is the world prices of energy that are the problem.

The only answer is under our feet for the short to medium term and in the future keep pushing on the development of renewables and in particular storage.

Even then this would need the regulators to have far greater powers than now, in effect back door "nationalisation light".

Until Putin invaded most people didn't give the consideration needed to our energy resources and in particular our faux green government.

If you think we have it bad Germany is concerned that Russia might turn its gas off which would affect homes and industry badly.

1 ... LastLast
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations