UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by justbecause View Post
    Bollocks! Candidates fail themselves by not driving to the standard required
    You'd have to be clairvoyant, to pass first time with some of them......Like when they tell you to turn left at the next junction, which you duly do. Only to find half a mile down the road, just past a minor junction on the left, a kerbed built-out 6'6" width-restriction blocking our way! In my case when they did that to me, I slowed to a gradual halt and totally puzzled why he'd deliberately sent me down a road with a width-restriction, I spoke to the examiner.

What did he say? Believe it or not (hi Mick!) he said I should have turned off the road we were on, at the minor road we'd just passed on the left. But on a test, you don't turn off and go down a different road unless, the examiner tells you to - or so I thought. No matter how perfect a driver, or comprehensive your knowledge, it's hard to see how anyone wouldn't fall for a trick like that first time around.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    You'd have to be clairvoyant, to pass first time with some of them......Like when they tell you to turn left at the next junction, which you duly do. Only to find half a mile down the road, just past a minor junction on the left, a kerbed built-out 6'6" width-restriction blocking our way! In my case when they did that to me, I slowed to a gradual halt and totally puzzled why he'd deliberately sent me down a road with a width-restriction, I spoke to the examiner.

What did he say? Believe it or not (hi Mick!) he said I should have turned off the road we were on, at the minor road we'd just passed on the left. But on a test, you don't turn off and go down a different road unless, the examiner tells you to - or so I thought. No matter how perfect a driver, or comprehensive your knowledge, it's hard to see how anyone wouldn't fall for a trick like that first time around.
    What a load of drivel. If, and it’s a big if, you had turned into a road with a 6’6” width restriction, it would have been advised at the top of the road as you turned into it, so, lack of observation was completely your fault. No Examiner in the world would send driver down a road that he would get stuck on.
    i took two HGV tests, in May and August 1974, passed them both, and the Examiner, (same for both tests) couldn’t have been friendlier, and no tricks.

Likes / Dislikes
    What a load of drivel. If, and it’s a big if, you had turned into a road with a 6’6” width restriction, it would have been advised at the top of the road as you turned into it, so, lack of observation was completely your fault. No Examiner in the world would send driver down a road that he would get stuck on.
    i took two HGV tests, in May and August 1974, passed them both, and the Examiner, (same for both tests) couldn’t have been friendlier, and no tricks.
    Nah, no notification as we turned into that road. There was notification half a mile later, adjacent to the minor-road junction a few hundred metres from the actual restriction itself, which btw also had notification on it.....In view of the looming restriction ahead, I thought he'd most likely tell me to turn into that minor road on the left, but he said nothing. So I drove past it, easing off the gas as I did so, because it was obvious we wouldn't get through up ahead.

Had I been driving down there on my own and having seen the looming restriction, obviously I wouldn't have carried on, but this was a test. And as far as I knew, just like on the car test I'd done many years before, you follow the examiners directions to the absolute letter, no matter what unlikely things he tells you to do.

For all I knew, it was his way of springing an unexpectedly long reversing manouvre on candidates. And I wasn't about to blow my chances by making a left-turn without being told to. Sucker or what?
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Nah, no notification as we turned into that road. There was notification half a mile later, adjacent to the minor-road junction a few hundred metres from the actual restriction itself, which btw also had notification on it.....In view of the looming restriction ahead, I thought he'd most likely tell me to turn into that minor road on the left, but he said nothing. So I drove past it, easing off the gas as I did so, because it was obvious we wouldn't get through up ahead.

Had I been driving down there on my own and having seen the looming restriction, obviously I wouldn't have carried on, but this was a test. And as far as I knew, just like on the car test I'd done many years before, you follow the examiners directions to the absolute letter, no matter what unlikely things he tells you to do.

For all I knew, it was his way of springing an unexpectedly long reversing manouvre on candidates. And I wasn't about to blow my chances by making a left-turn without being told to. Sucker or what?
    Like I said, complete and utter drivel.

Likes / Dislikes
    Like I said, complete and utter drivel.
    Duh - you're as bad as Mick, when it comes to disbelieving what you don't want to accept!

Kirkby was somewhere I had hardly ever been to and was unfamiliar with the roads around there. So is it any surprise I was fooled into that situation? I sometimes wonder, how many hundreds of other hopefuls, were caught out by that same underhanded routine. Imagine being the examiner, knowing full well what's coming up - sitting there laughing up your sleeve, wondering what your candidate is going to do!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Duh - you're as bad as Mick, when it comes to disbelieving what you don't want to accept!

Kirkby was somewhere I had hardly ever been to and was unfamiliar with the roads around there. So is it any surprise I was fooled into that situation? I sometimes wonder, how many hundreds of other hopefuls, were caught out by that same underhanded routine. Imagine being the examiner, knowing full well what's coming up - sitting there laughing up your sleeve, wondering what your candidate is going to do!
    But why on Earth would he even want to do such a thing? There again, perhaps like all of us, he took an instant dislike to you.

8. Likes Ric liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    But why on Earth would he even want to do such a thing? There again, perhaps like all of us, he took an instant dislike to you.
    That is the part that still puzzles me, why?

Possibilities include, but are probably not limited to:

A) To see if a candidate is prone to panicking in tricky situations.

B) To see if he will break the law, i.e by forcing the truck over the built-out kerbing.

C) To see if he will decide to turn off at the side road.

D) Or (conspiracy theory) has been told to 'fail' the candidate.

E) Or just for jollies, because at heart he's a nasty little prankster.

*Problem with (C) turning off at the side road without being told to: He could fail the candidate for leaving the prescribed route. Making the whole thing into a no-win situation.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    So back to the highway code. Saw a cyclist today, nothing strange in that, but as we approached the lights he looked behind to see if anything was coming up before putting his hand out to move into the middle of the road, fair play me thought and slowed down ready to stop as the lights were on red, sadly cyclist then went straight through on red causing a car to slam on instead of hitting them, why follow the code then be a plonker and break them. The mind boggles.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    So back to the highway code. Saw a cyclist today, nothing strange in that, but as we approached the lights he looked behind to see if anything was coming up before putting his hand out to move into the middle of the road, fair play me thought and slowed down ready to stop as the lights were on red, sadly cyclist then went straight through on red causing a car to slam on instead of hitting them, why follow the code then be a plonker and break them. The mind boggles.
    It's riders like that, who give the rest a bad name....

Not that I'd do it myself, mind. But if you're intending riding through a red light, then treat it the same as a 'give way'. I.e. slow down and check nothing's coming before continuing across. Of course it's illegal and p****s-off motorists. But by ensuring there's nothing likely to hit you, is a far safer method than bowling straight through and hoping for the best!
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick2 View Post
    When turning left at a junction, give way to pedestrians. Just imagine stopping halfway through a right turn to give way to walkers.
    yes you're right but some idiot decided it should go in the highway code good job the Boys Brigade don't march on a Sunday any more.

13. Likes Nick2 liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    That is the part that still puzzles me, why?

Possibilities include, but are probably not limited to:

A) To see if a candidate is prone to panicking in tricky situations.

B) To see if he will break the law, i.e by forcing the truck over the built-out kerbing.

C) To see if he will decide to turn off at the side road.

D) Or (conspiracy theory) has been told to 'fail' the candidate.

E) Or just for jollies, because at heart he's a nasty little prankster.

*Problem with (C) turning off at the side road without being told to: He could fail the candidate for leaving the prescribed route. Making the whole thing into a no-win situation.
    Probably the correct thing to do would be to stop and ask for instructions, it is probably to check that the driver is observing signs.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    Probably the correct thing to do would be to stop and ask for instructions, it is probably to check that the driver is observing signs.
    Agree.....If I'd known what he was up to, I would have. Speaking-up earlier, would have left him with no option but to say where he wanted to go. But as he'd been so consistent in giving timely instructions all the way around the route to that point, I'd no reason to expect any different as this situation approached.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    I was in the Transport Industry for over forty years and it that time I have overseen dozens and dozens of drivers through the HGV test. Not once in all those years have I ever heard of anything like what the compulsive liar is telling us. Yes, I’ve had drivers who failed the test, and they always come up with some excuse or other, but what he is telling us pure lies. Firstly, before this “imaginary” left turn, there would have been ample signage advising that (a) the road was weight restricted, and (b) that the road was width restricted. IF he had driven into this road, he rightly deserved to fail the test for lack of observation.

Likes / Dislikes
    I was in the Transport Industry for over forty years and it that time I have overseen dozens and dozens of drivers through the HGV test. Not once in all those years have I ever heard of anything like what the compulsive liar is telling us. Yes, I’ve had drivers who failed the test, and they always come up with some excuse or other, but what he is telling us pure lies. Firstly, before this “imaginary” left turn, there would have been ample signage advising that (a) the road was weight restricted, and (b) that the road was width restricted. IF he had driven into this road, he rightly deserved to fail the test for lack of observation.
    Had it been a cul-de-sac that he told me to enter, then yes of course there would have been signage at its entrance. But since there was a way through further down on the left, the signage was also located further down at that junction.

And no, there wasn't a weight restriction, only what appeared to be a Council estate several hundred metres beyond the constriction. Which presumably is why they didn't want bigger vehicles using it as a shortcut.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fox
    I don’t think I’m special in any way, motorists don’t set out to contact, or injure anyone and most will take note of others and take evasive action when possible.
    Yes, that's just how it should be...The motorist is the one who is in the lethal machine, not the peds/riders. So onus is on the motorist, to save these situations and avoid an accident.
    Among many, this is one of the most ridiculous things you've posted in a long time.

It is the duty of ALL road users, whether that be motorists, cyclists or pedestrians, to keep themselves and all road users safe.

When I'm a pedestrian, which I frequently am, my safety is ultimately MY responsibility and I do not reply on other people solely to keep me safe. If I step out in front of a moving vehicle, and a accident happens, that would be MY fault.

The rule about letting pedestrians cross when turning into a road just makes the roads more dangerous. And that's me talking as a PEDESTRIAN, not as a motorist.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations