UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
FirstFirst ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    I doubt there were hundreds of thousands of empty properties lying around in Palestine for migrant Jews to just move into either...Makes you wonder, if that wasn't a major reason behind clearing the existing population out of their homes, a process which continues into the present-day.
    No there were not.

Have you heard of Kibbutzim?
    Last edited by Hamble; 09/05/2024 at 10:49 AM.

2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    There is obviously some truth in that, however let’s not forget that between 40 and 60 million people were displaced during WE2, at the end of the war many, particularly Jews could not return to what had been their homes, survivors from concentration/slave camps numbered 100s of thousands, where do you think many headed for while looking for safety and security?

Of course this wasn’t just Jewish migration, huge numbers wouldn’t return to Soviet occupied territories, for obvious reasons, migrants went to other countries as well as Israel, it’s difficult for us to fully comprehend the scale of the mass movement of people after the war.
    All that said, it is important to recognize the Arab perspective.

Persecuted European Jews were a European problem. By 1945 the Arab world had had to contend with decades of European colonial interference.

The first preference for very many Jewish migrants was the United States. However, U.S. President Truman (a 'fine Bible Student'¹) yielded to domestic pressure to limit U.S. immigration. Instead, he endorsed the movement of displaced Jewish persons to Palestine. The Zionists' project to create a Jewish state in Palestine required the displacement of a large portion of its Arab population. The Zionist narrative totally submerged any consideration of the Palestinians — then, and now!

The Palestinian struggle for justice strives to overcome this pervasive Zionist narrative.

Note 1: Clark Clifford, cited in 'A Senseless, Squalid War' by Norman Rose

Likes / Dislikes
    'Moving out'?
    Fleeing
    more like!
    I take it you are aware that neighbouring Arab nations encouraged Arabs in Israel to move to Gaza and the West Bank, after the Arab nations had crushed the fledging Israeli state, those could then move back and take over the territory.

Now we all know that didn’t go according to plan, leaving disaffected Arabs trapped in the West Bank and Gaza, obviously Israel didn’t want these people moving back, but the neighbouring Arab countries didn’t want them either, in fact Jordan eventually evicted the remains of the PLO, who moved to Lebanon, morphed into Hezbollah.

There are obviously rights and wrongs on both sides, but this vilification of Israel as the villains of the piece, is very misplaced.

5. Likes Toodles McGinty, Hamble liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Germany would have been under Allied control and probably also marshal law at that time...I doubt many murder cases would have been overlooked - unless it was a case of the formerly oppressed, taking revenge against known Nazis.

Post WW2 pogrom in Poland.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kielce_pogrom

Germany had its problems from racism in Poland.

"Actual Jewish acts of violent revenge were exceedingly rare in occupied Germany. The very nature of the Holocaust as a bureaucratically organized genocide with diffused responsibility and often remote perpetrators made it difficult to identify local and individual targets for such actions. German fears of Jewish revenge were therefore located largely in the realm of fantasy; they had little basis in actual reality.

Still, fears of retribution defined the ways in which Germans imagined their post-Nazi future. These fears also resulted from the fact that, paradoxically, the number of Jewish survivors in post-war Germany increased rapidly from only 20,000 in 1945 to 250,000 in 1947, largely because of the influx of Polish Jews who had survived the war in the Soviet Union and then fled a series of antisemitic pogroms in post-war Poland. Germans resented the better treatment, such as higher food ratios and preferred housing, that American occupation authorities granted Jewish survivors."

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/wa...st-war-germany

Europe was still in effect one country when it came to Nazi sympathisers,refugees and Stateless people.

Likes / Dislikes
    Don't most Arabs consider Palestinians a mixed bunch of immigrants from other places? I read those that aren't of Jewish descent are a mix of Mongol, Romany, Turk, Armenian etc, all displaced people according to the Quran. And that Israelis have claim to most of the land?

Anyway, back to the OP. Seems to me that the Greens lost all pretence of actually being green a while ago. Particularly in Scotland, now increasingly in the rest of Britain. I had a lot of time for Caroline Lucas, she at least stuck to the environmental agenda of the party. Now they appear to welcome any fringe activists with a grievance. I'm surprised Galloway hasn't decided to join them.

Though pot, kettle, Labour, Elphicke...

I'd once have considered the Greens as an 'alternative' vote. Now I'm not even sure what they stand for. Sharia law or recycling?

I'm happy to have a more varied political landscape. More points of view, more choice. I'm not happy that our political landscape is seemingly centered on the issues of a country over 3000 miles away. When that situation resolves itself - or returns to low level festering under the surface as it will - where does that leave us?

8. Likes Hamble, silver fox liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    It's getting a habit but I agree the Greens have lost their souls, coming down on either side of the current conflict is a tricky balance.

Not unlike the current Labour Party

Let's be honest "none of the above" is looking increasingly attractive.

But come what may Sharia Law and all its incarnations is something all should come together against whatever your politics.

Many of those well-intentioned activists need to be wary of just who they are waving their flags with and what they actually want.

10. Likes silver fox, Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    I have always believed that Islamists sabotaged the Labour Party and what it stands for.

Starmer,though no politician has managed to offload the problem to the less wary party's.

Likes / Dislikes
    I take it you are aware that neighbouring Arab nations encouraged Arabs in Israel to move to Gaza and the West Bank, after the Arab nations had crushed the fledging Israeli state, those could then move back and take over the territory.

There are obviously rights and wrongs on both sides, but this vilification of Israel as the villains of the piece, is very misplaced.

Name:  MiddleEastEye.png
Views: 0
Size:  1.9 KB

Nakba: The Palestinian catastrophe, explained

Middle East Eye breaks down the ethnic cleansing of Palestine in 1948, which continues to define events in Israel-Palestine today

More than 750,000 Palestinian were forcibly expelled from their homeland by Zionist militia in 1948 (AFP)

13. Likes The PNP liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    So easy to look up but so hard to prove.

Wiki depends on its contributors and the devil is very much in the small print.

A healthy dose of Kosher salt methinks.
    On the plus side all wiki posts are not based on the sancrity of one author's opinion.

Unless contested/challenged with an alternative a wiki post stands.

15. Likes local liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    Don't most Arabs consider Palestinians a mixed bunch of immigrants from other places? I read those that aren't of Jewish descent are a mix of Mongol, Romany, Turk, Armenian etc, all displaced people according to the Quran. And that Israelis have claim to most of the land?

Anyway, back to the OP. Seems to me that the Greens lost all pretence of actually being green a while ago. Particularly in Scotland, now increasingly in the rest of Britain. I had a lot of time for Caroline Lucas, she at least stuck to the environmental agenda of the party. Now they appear to welcome any fringe activists with a grievance. I'm surprised Galloway hasn't decided to join them.

I'd once have considered the Greens as an 'alternative' vote. Now I'm not even sure what they stand for. Sharia law or recycling?

I'm happy to have a more varied political landscape. More points of view, more choice. I'm not happy that our political landscape is seemingly centered on the issues of a country over 3000 miles away. When that situation resolves itself - or returns to low level festering under the surface as it will - where does that leave us?
    Agree this thread has moved from the initial posting, I’m as guilty as anyone, I believe it must be clarified very quickly that British law is paramount and any attempt to bring in religious law must not be permitted, under any circumstances. The Greens have most definitely lost the plot supporting candidates with a very different and unwanted agenda.

Our own history covers times when religious law was the order, this was primarily Papal law, with eventually the Protestant Church overthrew Roman Catholicism. A great deal of discrimination, outright violence and full blown wars resulted from this, we must not under any circumstances revive this sort of division, particularly involving a religion and culture which is utterly alien to us and our country.

Most certainly no matter our views on the Israel/Gaza this should not be a determining factor in our government, particularly local government

17. Likes Hamble, Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Agree this thread has moved from the initial posting, I’m as guilty as anyone, I believe it must be clarified very quickly that British law is paramount and any attempt to bring in religious law must not be permitted, under any circumstances. The Greens have most definitely lost the plot supporting candidates with a very different and unwanted agenda.

Our own history covers times when religious law was the order, this was primarily Papal law, with eventually the Protestant Church overthrew Roman Catholicism. A great deal of discrimination, outright violence and full blown wars resulted from this, we must not under any circumstances revive this sort of division, particularly involving a religion and culture which is utterly alien to us and our country.

Most certainly no matter our views on the Israel/Gaza this should not be a determining factor in our government, particularly local government
    And those views on 'Gaza/Israel', frequently do seem to mirror the viewpointholders religious beliefs....I just wish people would get on with their own lives and be happy, rather than encroaching on other peoples territory. Because as history shows us time and again, expansionism is never popular with the ones being expanded into and often leads to wars.
    On Yer Bike!

www.20splentyforus.co.uk

19. Likes Alikado liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    And those views on 'Gaza/Israel', frequently do seem to mirror the viewpointholders religious beliefs....I just wish people would get on with their own lives and be happy, rather than encroaching on other peoples territory. Because as history shows us time and again, expansionism is never popular with the ones being expanded into and often leads to wars.
    Certainly the Israel/Gaza conflict arouses many concerns, but we don't want religious freaks spreading their particular brand of poison into this country, why the hell should this conflict have a bearing on our local elections, the Russian/Ukraine war has much more significance to our country, where are the protesters and supporters?

Agree that it would be much better if people got on with their lives, try telling the likes of Hamas, Hezbollah, Putin, Kim Jong Un and a few others, good luck with that.

21. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Name:  T-McGinty2c.png
Views: 0
Size:  13.4 KB
    Toodles McGinty's post #65

Had anyone gone "back to the OP" and read it, s/he might notice that the C&P of a complete article from the Telegraph concluding with the short paragraph:
    If you can’t commit to that – that’s cool. I’m sure [the Green Party or the Lib Dems] would be happy to take the votes.
    — one and only one mention of the Green party!

The article is a scattershot Telegraph screed incorporating a recurring, regrettable feature of the local elections, namely that voters express their grievances over contentious issues du jour. So, who's the fool?

Likes / Dislikes
    We are assured it's a luvvie virtue- signaling greenwash fest when Greta Thunberg turns up to her latest publicity stunt at of all places an anti- Israel protest at Eurovision.

That festival of naffness does at least bring people together.

We'll have Stop oil protestors and I suppose Black Live Matters looking to enrich themselves next although they are busy trying to get their hands on millions of dollars.

And who else is riding the wave but good old George Soros.

Likes / Dislikes
    The Greens are taking their time on the sabotagers.

I mean what more do they need?

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK /
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in UK
Replacement Stove Glass in UK
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
UKUK News

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)
UK MasksUK Face MasksUK KN95 MasksUK Disposable MasksUK Hand SanitiserUK Hand SanitizerUK PPEUK Bathroom SuppliesUK Cheap BathroomsUK Discount BathroomsUK Bathroom SalesUK Bathroom SuitesUK Bathroom TapsUK Basin TapsUK Bath TapsUK Kitchen TapsUK Free Standing Bath TapsUK Bath Mixer TapUK Bidet TapsUK Shower EnclosuresUK Bi Fold Shower DoorsUK Corner ShowersUK Pivot Shower DoorsUK Sliding Shower DoorsUK Shower Side PanelsUK Quadrant ShowersUK Shower TraysUK Wet-RoomsUK Bathroom ShowersUK Showers ValvesUK Showers RailsUK Showers HeadsUK Showers ArmsUK Showers HandsetsUK Showers JetsUK Showers ElbowsUK Toilet SeatsUK ToiletsUK BasinsUK Basin WastesUK Combined Toilet BasinUK Bathroom FurnitureUK BathsUK L Shaped BathUK P Shaped BathUK Bath ScreensUK SanitarywareUK Combined Toilet BasinUK StovesUK Wood StovesUK Home StovesUK Cooker StovesUK Enamel StovesUK Designer StovesUK Contemporary StovesUK Multi Fuel StovesUK Car ServicingUK MOTgUK TyresUK Car BatteryUK ExhaustUK Journalist JobsUK Reporter JobsUK Writing JobsUK Freelance WriterUK Self Employed JobsUK Franchise BusinessUK Franchise OpportunitiesUK Car InsuranceUK Cheap Car InsuranceUK Car Insurance BrokersUK Driving SchoolsUK Driving LessonsUK Driving TestUK Driving Theory TestUK Driving Instruction, 0000 UK Driving Instructor, 0000 UK VouchersUK DealsUK MatalanUK Railway SleepersUK Reclaimed SleepersUK New SleepersUK CoalUK House CoalUK Household CoalUK Smokeless CoalUK Smokeless FuelUK Coal BagsUK FirewoodUK Fire WoodUK Kiln Dried HardwoodUK Kiln Dried LogsUK Logs For SaleUK Log SuppliesUK LogsUK Firewood LogsUK Seasoned LogsUK Hardwood LogsUK Firewood SuppliersUK Firewood Log SuppliersUK Firewood Dumpy BagsUK Firewood CratesUK Cheap FirewoodUK Homefire LogsUK Cheap Firewood LogsUK Kindle ConesUK Pizza Oven LogsUK Heating OilUK Home Heating OilUK Red DieselUK White DieselUK KereseneUK Commercial FuelsUK Calor GasUK Propane GasUK Butane GasUK Heating GasUK Horse TrainingUK Horse TrainerUK Horse WhispererUK Equine WhispererUK Horse Whisperer Victoria SmithUK Rattan Garden FurnitureUK Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan SofaUK Rattan Dining SetUK Rattan DirectUK Cheap Rattan FurnitureUK Rattan Corner SofasUK Rattan Day BedsUK Rattan Sun LoungersUK Rattan Cube SetsUK Rattan Bistro SetsUK ChimeneasUK FirepitsUK Patio HeatersUK Hygiene VendingUK Washroom VendingUK Air FreshenersUK Air CareUK Aerosol SystemsUK Gel SystemsUK Water SavingUK Urinal Water SavingUK Eco CapsUK SensaflushUK Water ManagementUK Urinal DosingUK Urinal V ScreensUK Legionella Risk AssessmentUK Legionella Risk TestingUK Legionaires Risk AssessmentUK Legionella BacteriaUK Legionaires BacteriaUK Legionella ComplianceUK Legionella AdviceUK Legionella Landlords AdviceUK Legionella TestingUK Legionella CheckUK Legionella RegulationsUK Legionella Risk Assessment For LandlordsUK Legionella Water TestingUK Legionella QuoteUK Fire Stove GlassUK Heat Resistant GlassUK Fire GlassUK Stove GlassUK Fire Resistant GlassUK Replacement Stove GlassUK Glass For StovesUK Dust MatsUK Entrance MatsUK Reception MatsUK Anti Fatigue MatsUK Floor MatsUK Logo MatsUK London Washroom ServicesUK London Sanitary BinsUK London Shredding ServicesUK London Trade Waste DisposalUK London Legionella TestingUK London Clinical WasteUK Washroom ServicesUK Principal WashroomsUK Washrooms SuppliesUK Washrooms SolutionsUK Sanitary DisposalUK Sanitary BinsUK Sani BinsUK Lady BinsUK Feminine Hygiene UnitsUK Sanitary Waste DisposalUK Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Waste BinUK Sanitary Waste BinsUK Sanitary UnitsUK Feminine UnitsUK Hygiene ServicesUK Sanitary Bin SupplierUK Sanitary Bin RentalUK Sanitary Bin Rental ServicesUK Sanitary BinUK SanitarybinUK Feminine Hygiene BinsUK Female Santary BinUK Sani binUK Sani binsUK Sanibin RentalUK Sanitary BoxUK Sanitary BoxesUK Sanitary Bin QuoteUK Sanitary Bin PriceUK Sanitary Bin CostUK Sanitary Disposal QuoteUK Sanitary Disposal PriceUK Sanitary Disposal CostUK Free Duty of CareUK Tampon BinUK Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Tampon BinUK Sanitary Tampon BinsUK Sanitary Towel BinUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Feminine WasteUK Feminine Hygiene WasteUK Sanitary Waste RegulationsUK Sanitary Waste LawUK Sanitary Bins LawUK Sanitary Bins For Small BusinessUK Sanitary Bin Service CostUK Sanitary Bin Collection CostUK Disposal of Sanitary WasteUK Sanitary Towel BinsUK Sanitary Towel DisposalUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK General WasteUK Trade WasteUK Commercial WasteUK Business WasteUK Waste ManagementUK Waste CollectionUK Cardboard WasteUK Paper WasteUK Plastic WasteUK Glass WasteUK Biomass WasteUK Metal WasteUK Paper ShreddingUK Local ShreddingUK Secure ShreddingUK Confidential ShreddingUK Document DestructionUK Confidential WasteUK Confidential Waste ServiceUK Confidential Waste ServicesUK Confidential Waste ShreddingUK Confidential Waste DisposalUK Confidential Waste DestructionUK On Site ShreddingUK Off Site ShreddingUK One Off ShreddingUK Contract ShreddingUK GDPR ShreddingUK ShreddingUK Document ShreddingUK Shredding ServicesUK Mobile ShreddingUK Dental WasteUK Dental Waste DisposalUK Dental Waste LegislationUK Dental Waste ComplianceUK Accupuncture WasteUK Accupuncture Waste DisposalUK Accupuncture Waste CollectionAccupuncture Waste in UKAccupuncture Waste Disposal in UKAccupuncture Waste Collection in UKUK Acupuncture WasteUK Acupuncture Waste DisposalUK Acupuncture Waste CollectionUK Acupuncture Waste ServiceUK Acupuncture Clinical WasteUK Acupuncture SharpsUK Acupuncture NeedlesUK Beauty Salon Clincical WasteUK Beauty Salon MicrobladingUK Beauty Salon NeedlesUK Beauty Salon SharpsUK Tattoo WasteUK Tattoo Waste DisposalTattoo Waste in UKTattoo Waste Disposal in UKTattoo Waste Collection in UKTattoo Waste Compliance in UKTattoo Waste Services in UKTattoo Clinical Waste in UKTattoo Sharps in UKTattoo Needles in UKUK Sharps BinUK Sharps BinsUK Sharps CollectionUK Sharps DisposalUK Hazardous SharpsUK Non Hazardous SharpsUK Cytotoxic SharpsUK Cytostatic SharpsUK Ink BlockUK Wet_WasteUK Tattoo InkUK Drug DestructionUK Drug DisposalUK Drug DenaturingUK Unwanted DrugsUK Out Of Date DrugsUK Pest ControlUK Rodent ControlUK Bird ControlUK Bird ProofingUK Guano ControlUK Pest Call OutUK Pest PreventionUK Pest DeterrentUK Nursery WasteUK Nappy WasteUK Nappy BinUK Nappy BinsUK Nappy DisposalUK Nappy Wheelie BinUK Nursery Waste DisposalUK Nursery Waste CollectionUK Nappy Waste RegulationsUK Commercial Nappy WasteUK Nappy Disposal BinUK Nappy Waste CollectionUK Incontinence PadsUK Offensive WasteUK Human WasteUK Nursing Home WasteUK Care Home WasteUK Hazardous WasteUK Infectous WasteUK Pharmaceutical WasteUK Medicinal WasteUK Medicine WasteUK Infection ControlUK Hand SanitisersUK Clinical WasteUK Clinical Waste RemovalUK Clinical Waste CollectionUK Clinical Waste RegulationsUK Clinical Waste DisposalUK Clinical Waste ManagementUK Clinical Waste PolicyUK EA RegistrationSell my scrap van in UKWashroom Services in TarletonSanitary bins quoteGarden Services in SouthportGarden Services in OrmskirkGarden Services in FormybGarden Services in TarletonUK Path GravelUK Path GravelsUK GravelUK GravelsUK Garden Path GravelUK Decorative GravelsUK Cotswold GravelUK Bulk AggregatesUK Mass AggregatesUK Aggregates SuppliersUK Aggregate SuppliersUK Bulk Bags AggregatesUK Bulk BagsUK Mot Type 1UK Mot Type 2UK Top SoilUK Building SandUK Grit SandUK Fine SandUK Play SandUK Top Dressing SandUK Silica SandUK Mersey SandUK Kiln Dried SandUK Plastering SandUK Crusher RunUK DustUK BallestUK HardcoreUK GritUK Horticultural GritUK Alpine GritUK LimestoneUK GraniteUK Cotswold ChippingsUK Golden FlintUK MoonstoneUK Pea GravelUK Cheshire PinkUK Yorkshire CreamUK Derbyshire Peak StoneUK Green BallastUK Autumn GoldUK Pink GravelUK Blue SlateUK Plum SlateUK Grey SlateUK Welsh SlateUK Play BarkUK Chip BarkUK Christmas TreesUK Xmas TreesUK Artificial TreeUK Christmas Decorations