southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
    Likes / Dislikes

BVA Response To BBC Cat Report

The British Veterinary Association has responded to the misleading BBC report about keeping cats indoors.

The British Veterinary Association has clarified its position in light of a report on the BBC news website relating to cats and coronavirus. The headline of the article suggested that veterinary advice was to keep all cats indoors, but BVA has explained this advice is only in relation to cats in infected households or where people are self-isolating.

BVA President Daniella Dos Santos said:
    “It’s incredibly important that information and advice for the public is clear and we regret that this news story will have caused worry and upset amongst cat owners.
    “We are not advising that all cats are kept indoors. Only cats from infected households or where their owners are self-isolating, and only if the cat is happy to be kept indoors. Some cats cannot stay indoors due to stress-related medical reasons.
    “There have been a tiny number of cases of Covid-19 in animals and in all cases, it is likely that the transmission was human to animal. There is no evidence that pets can pass Covid-19 to their owners.
    “From the small number of cases it appears that dogs do not show symptoms, but cats can show clinical signs of the disease.
    “It is also the case that animals can act as fomites, as the virus could be on their fur in the same way it is on other surfaces, such as tables and doorknobs. That’s why our main advice for pet owners continues to be to practise good hand hygiene.
    “And, as a precaution, for pet owners who have Covid-19 or who are self-isolating we are recommending that you keep your cat indoors if possible, during that time

“It is very important that people don’t panic about their pets. There is no evidence that animals can pass the disease to humans.”

2. Likes The PNP liked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    I saw the same on the BBC this morning. I'm afraid it's going to lead to a lot of abandoned pets.

Such a shame, particularly at a time when animal charities, just like all other charities, are struggling to find donations.

I read somewhere that cats and dogs (might have just been cats, TBH) have their own version of Coronavirus, completely harmless to humans. I think the report came from Australia.

Either way, I suppose it may be possible for a cat to step on something that has the virus on it, then transfer that to your home. I'd reckon that is highly unlikely though. As far as my cat is concerned, and she is an outdoor cat when she can drag her lazy self out there, I'll up my hygiene regime with her. Wash my hands every time I stroke her, make sure she stays off beds etc.

Great, another reason to increase hand washing. Doubled to 93 times a day now

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    I saw the same on the BBC this morning. I'm afraid it's going to lead to a lot of abandoned pets.

Such a shame, particularly at a time when animal charities, just like all other charities, are struggling to find donations.

I read somewhere that cats and dogs (might have just been cats, TBH) have their own version of Coronavirus, completely harmless to humans. I think the report came from Australia.

Either way, I suppose it may be possible for a cat to step on something that has the virus on it, then transfer that to your home. I'd reckon that is highly unlikely though. As far as my cat is concerned, and she is an outdoor cat when she can drag her lazy self out there, I'll up my hygiene regime with her. Wash my hands every time I stroke her, make sure she stays off beds etc.

Great, another reason to increase hand washing. Doubled to 93 times a day now
    Sounds like you have my cat's sister, you could always try washing the cat, although you may need some robust PPE

Likes / Dislikes
    There's already been a case of cat dumping, one was found in a bin bag in Victoria Park, it is with Freshfields now, it was reported on BBC news NW.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikado View Post
    There's already been a case of cat dumping, one was found in a bin bag in Victoria Park, it is with Freshfields now, it was reported on BBC news NW.

One of the local rescue animal centres was saying more pets are being dumped.

Likes / Dislikes
    From the American Kennel club,

Two pet dogs in Hong Kong have tested positive for COVID-19, and both of these dogs lived in homes with COVID-19 positive owners.

Clearly this is not from an anti-dog organisation so it seems likely dogs carry the virus just like us.

Animals clearly aren't dropping everywhere so they may be useful in our research to find a treatment that works.

Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

25-27 Forest Road, Southport, PR8 6JD
Come to visit Wallpaper John@ Forest Road Wallcoverings today for Southport's finest range of wallcoverings with over 1000 designs always in store.
WEBSITE
106 - 114 Shakespeare Street, Southport, PR8 5AJ
Big brands, big deals, 250 machines displayed, tractors, chainsaws, shredders, cultivators, aerators, vacs, trimmers, robot mowers, authorised warranty, most makes, est. 66 years
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 535369

Heritage Houset, 9b Hoghton St, Southport, PR9 0TE
All your business insurance needs under one roof! Car, motor, home, taxi, fleets, shops, offices Best cover found at lowest prices! Free quotations provided.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 631913
4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)