southport, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
1 ... LastLast
    Likes / Dislikes

Discussion of Sports

For an honest discussion without Drama Queens or histrionics - what is your view of Transgenders competing in World Class sport?

"Caster Semenya’s gender is uncontroversially female. She is legally female, was from birth raised as female and identifies as a female." The Conversation.

Her father said that as a child she would never wear female clothing.

Her wife is now expecting their second child.

Laurel Hubbard who has recently taken part in the Tokyo Olympics is a transgender weight lifter. Until the age of 35, she took part in Men's weight lifting competitions - although talented, she would never have reached the high standards required.

In short, pre-transition Laurel was talented, but not a world-calibre athlete.
    The question then becomes: Is Laurel Hubbard the person advocates want to be the face of transgender policy?
    The question is rhetorical because the answer is obviously “no”.
    Having an individual who spent most of her adult life as a man, transitioning at age 35, as the face of a movement will surely spell disaster for any real transgender policy from ever taking effect or even being considered.
    Although it should not be the case, anecdotes make policy, and Laurel Hubbard is a totally unsympathetic character upon which to make policy decisions.
    If she wins a medal, she will highlight the fact that men should not be competing in women’s sports, that it is patently unfair.
    The only thing people will notice is that an above-average male lifter just placed at the Olympics as a woman, and that the laudable efforts of other women were devalued, in real terms, because of that. Inside The Games.

2. Likes Darkside liked this post

3. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
    Likes / Dislikes
    Sport should accept it Trans competitors in team events.

In women's individual events why not have a joint winner fastest/best/highest scorer.
    That way no one is disadvantaged all respected.

Likes / Dislikes
    I don't see how Laurel Hubbard's character, sympathetic or otherwise, has anything to do wih the question of whether or not a trans can compete with the gender they identify with.
    I notice you use the pronoun 'she'.
    Laurel bombed out of the competition I believe so good enough to get to the Olympics but not very far. The question probably won't arise next time.

My twopennies worth is that trans should have their own category of competition.

6. Likes Darkside, Nick2, Hector, said liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    It says it all when a female born a female with all the requisite parts of female anatomy is barred from competing yet a bloke who has not got one iota of femininity is allowed to compete with the opposite sex.

To put it in context can a fan of Greyhound racing raise a Jaguar cub as a dog and enter it into the Greyhound Derby NO so what is the difference.

Fortunately the ability of the weight lifter showed through and I doubt he'll be seen again.

8. Likes said liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by joan ofarc View Post

My twopennies worth is that trans should have their own category of competition.
    And what about the other 50+ genders we are told now exist, we wouldn’t want to offend, upset or exclude anyone.

Likes / Dislikes
    The problem with transgender athletes lies in the Olympic rules.

Apparently the rules state if a person 'identifies as' a woman, they are allowed to compete against women. And of course, they have to meet the hormone criteria. But basically, if they've lived as a woman, without gender reassignment surgery, for a certain amount of time they can compete.

It's all a bit grey. I think a whole lot more research has to be done comparing cis-gender women to women who've transitioned but still have the bone, muscle, heart and lung advantages of males who've gone through puberty. Maybe they should compete with a handicap - weights, times etc.

I don't think there are enough trans athletes to compete in their own categories.

In the case of Hubbard, it was all immaterial, as her snatch failed.

Likes / Dislikes
    Is it my puerile mind?

Small (Who Knows) things amuse small minds and all that

12. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Is it my puerile mind?

I must admit, it made me smile.

Her snatch failed on more than one count, allegedly.

14. Likes local liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    Is it my puerile mind?

Some things just write themselves.

16. Likes local liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes
    It probably isn't PC, but in the immortal words of Frankie Howard;

"Titter ye not"

18. Likes Toodles McGinty liked this post
    Likes / Dislikes

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodles McGinty View Post
    The problem with transgender athletes lies in the Olympic rules.

I don't think there are enough trans athletes to compete in their own categories.
    There aren't now. Who knows what the next three years will bring.

Likes / Dislikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    And what about the other 50+ genders we are told now exist, we wouldn’t want to offend, upset or exclude anyone.
    I am only thinking about the ones that affect the body to give an advantage to one over the other. Not going to think about DSDs as well. It all makes my head hurt.

When I was a kid I remember being puzzled by my parents' reaction to boys with long hair. 'You can't tell if it's a man or a woman,' was the usual complaint.To me there was no problem telling genders apart but I am starting to relate a bit now to my parents' feelings- the world is getting mighty complicated.

Likes / Dislikes
    Truth is disadvantage stalks all athletes from height to weight to injury to advantage in training and funding.

At the moment Transgender competitors on the whole go late to cross over sex and have to wait 2 years to meet hormone level clearance.
    Add to that operations and mental abuse I feel reluctant to support any more disadvantage to individuals.
    The scrutiny on their sex authenticity is positively humiliating.

As mentioned before I would rather reward.

Likes / Dislikes
    It probably isn't PC, but in the immortal words of Frankie Howard;

"Titter ye not"
    There is always a longer queue to penalise.

1 ... LastLast
Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Southport / North West
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Southport

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register

Privacy & Cookie Policy

Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk

Also website at southportnews.co.uk

Southport Music & Piano Academy

Qlocal Supports Woodlands Animal Sanctuary

Woodlands Animal Sanctuary Charity

Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in southport
Replacement Stove Glass in southport
Supporting Local Business
Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal

UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
southportsouthport News

30 Virginia Street, Southport, PR8 6RU
Established 17 years ago. MOT\'s, servicing, repairs. Free collection and delivery service.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 543808
4-8 Liverpool Avenue, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3NH
We have a superb range of over-mantle mirrors to complement any room setting, with over 300 in stock to view.
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 578788

25-27 Forest Road, Southport, PR8 6JD
Come to visit Wallpaper John@ Forest Road Wallcoverings today for Southport's finest range of wallcoverings with over 1000 designs always in store.
WEBSITE
165 Lord Street, Opposite the Prince of Wales, Southport, PR8 1PF
In superlative classic surroundings, enjoy your tea and food in a building which you would be forgiven to think was in the heart of London! Actually we are opposite the Prince of Wales in Southport
WEBSITE     TEL: 01704 540066

Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)